Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Snatch, C&J: Post your best videos

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    haha...you're welcome @nakedraygun , but I can't take all the credit. Show some love to @JoRocka too as she just finished her program up.

awwww thanks!!!!

PS_ I"m quite happy I'm done- I actually attempted 200 again on Wednesday (was supposed to be Thursday to allow for more rest- but the scheduling gods did not allow)- So- Fail again on 13- I'm at a significant deficit and wasn't recovered- I'm debating giving it one more shot on Saturday- which will be 3 full days of recovery and some food.
    haha...you're welcome @nakedraygun , but I can't take all the credit. Show some love to @JoRocka too as she just finished her program up.
    You can run, but you can't hide. @JoRocka

00-01-16.jpg
    =)

Nicely done on the PR+5 though. 225 is beastly- maybe in another year or two I can push my 20 rep squat up closer to 2 plates!!!

In the mean time- here's the first of the two attempts at 200 pounds- don't think I shared it here.
    Buried on rep 14.
    https://youtu.be/ayEP-f6m98I

I have realized when I get tired- I get shifty- when I repeated this on Wednesday I was able to stick the first 5-6 reps then after that ever 2-3 reps I wanted to readjust.
    SO.MUCH.SHIFTING.

I'm still working out my foot placement- PT people wanted me to bring my toes a little more forward- but I kind of don't like it. it's just making me shifty. OH well. I'll get there.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Nicely done on the PR+5 though. 225 is beastly- maybe in another year or two I can push my 20 rep squat up closer to 2 plates!!!
    Moment of truth, I wanted to push 20 reps on the 295 squat, and I could have grinded -- I know I could -- but my chest injury made me think twice. Its just that tendency when squatting fatigued where it becomes too easy to resort to a good morning squat and I didn't want to go there. 225 was a contrition on my part.

Still... thanks though!
    In the mean time- here's the first of the two attempts at 200 pounds- don't think I shared it here. Buried on rep 14.

I have realized when I get tired- I get shifty- when I repeated this on Wednesday I was able to stick the first 5-6 reps then after that ever 2-3 reps I wanted to readjust.
    SO.MUCH.SHIFTING.

I'm still working out my foot placement- PT people wanted me to bring my toes a little more forward- but I kind of don't like it. it's just making me shifty. OH well. I'll get there.
    Yeah I see what you mean about foot shift, but you got your heels screwed down as you progressed throughout the set. I find that at lower weights I have more difficulty in my set-up, but when I approach the heavier stuff, my set-up dials right in quicker. Mental thing.

Nice way to grind it out in case!
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, but I'm still years away from being on your level.
    Let's hope not @McCloud33 , because by then you'll be 45 yrs old and put out to pasture like me.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    @nakedraygun Yeppers- fatigue for me is also very goodmorningey- the struggle is real. Probably wise with the chest to not push it. Sorry about the car accident- and super glad you're okay (mostly)

I've been shifting around with bar placement as well- which has surprisingly helped. Glad to see heel improvement- it's something again- TOTALLY with you- at low weights I get really squirrely and forward on it. Happy to be seeing improvement.

I'm much happier at anything over 165- I just don't feel super stable- and god- a bar only squat- it looks like I'm a total newb LOL
    Options
    @nakedraygun Yeppers- fatigue for me is also very goodmorningey- the struggle is real. Probably wise with the chest to not push it. Sorry about the car accident- and super glad you're okay (mostly)
    Thank you! I appreciate it! Worst part of this is I can't do my program. Training and my routine surrounding it really helps my general mood. No one was hurt in the car accident and I am so relieved that my kindergartener wasn't in the car when it happened. Everything in the front seat landed in her car seat.

I'm just a whiney old maid I guess lol.
    I've been shifting around with bar placement as well- which has surprisingly helped. Glad to see heel improvement- it's something again- TOTALLY with you- at low weights I get really squirrely and forward on it. Happy to be seeing improvement.

I'm much happier at anything over 165- I just don't feel super stable- and god- a bar only squat- it looks like I'm a total newb LOL
    You might be at the point -- or close to it -- with all the relatively new adjustments that you just need to bang out a lot of sets to dial it in dead nuts.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Let's hope not @McCloud33 , because by then you'll be 45 yrs old and put out to pasture like me.

I think it will be before I'm 45 lol (only turning 34 this year). I haven't even been lifting for two full years yet. I never TOUCHED heavy weights until July 2014. The most I had done before that was with p90x, so nothing really heavy...maybe 50-60lb dumbbells at the most. I've come a long way in a short amount of time and just trying to keep it going when the progress slower. At this point, if I can add 10-15lbs to my main lifts in a year, I'll be happy I think. I'm hoping this 20 rep squat will give me a boost for sure though.
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Impressive y'all
  • JoRocka
    Options
    So- a quality (and funny) bench video for all of us who give a *kitten* about these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QcESCtiz1M

@Willbenchforcupcakes how do you feel this aligns with all the work you've done?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka - I had to stop watching halfway through - I can only handle so much Mark Bell. But overall, fantastic information for those who just don't have access to an in person or online bench coach.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    So this is going to get posted over in my 20rep squat thread too, but @nakedraygun and the fact that I felt good this morning inspired me to go heavier and push myself. Here's 20 rep squat of 225 @ 180lbs...This is probably about 75% of my training max right now.
    https://youtu.be/Kh4P2X97wiM

I also had DL's today and went for a heavy single, but it wasn't happening after the 20 rep squat. I might have been able to get it up, but I would have had to seriously compromise on form and run the risk of screwing up my back. Here's my fail at 405#
    https://youtu.be/zXO9r7RU2P4

Dude wicked job. I'm 180lbs BW right now as well and my best would be 225x10 if I really pushed it. Looks like that 20 rep squat is really working for you!

• JoRocka
    Options
    @JoRocka - I had to stop watching halfway through - I can only handle so much Mark Bell. But overall, fantastic information for those who just don't have access to an in person or online bench coach.

Lol. It was a long video for sure. I think I made it thought till they started putting weight on the and gave up. Got the beef of the details though.
    I'm thinking I need to readjust my bench a touch so I was poking around. Felt like this was helpful but wanted to hear a second opinion from someone else who spends more time benching with a pro!
  • McCloud33
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Dude wicked job. I'm 180lbs BW right now as well and my best would be 225x10 if I really pushed it. Looks like that 20 rep squat is really working for you!
    Thanks @jessef593 I'm enjoying it. I posted yesterday over in my 20 rep squat thread, but I definitely paid for this yesterday morning with some horrible DOMS lol. I still felt it some today, but was still able to go run for 90 min at my soccer game.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

awwww thanks!!!!

PS_ I"m quite happy I'm done- I actually attempted 200 again on Wednesday (was supposed to be Thursday to allow for more rest- but the scheduling gods did not allow)- So- Fail again on 13- I'm at a significant deficit and wasn't recovered- I'm debating giving it one more shot on Saturday- which will be 3 full days of recovery and some food.

00-01-16.jpg
    =)

In the mean time- here's the first of the two attempts at 200 pounds- don't think I shared it here.
    Buried on rep 14.

SO.MUCH.SHIFTING.

I can relate to shifty. I usually hit that point at rep 5. I lose upper back tightness and the rest just seems like an attempt to recover it.
    Options

I think it will be before I'm 45 lol (only turning 34 this year). I haven't even been lifting for two full years yet. I never TOUCHED heavy weights until July 2014. The most I had done before that was with p90x, so nothing really heavy...maybe 50-60lb dumbbells at the most. I've come a long way in a short amount of time and just trying to keep it going when the progress slower. At this point, if I can add 10-15lbs to my main lifts in a year, I'll be happy I think. I'm hoping this 20 rep squat will give me a boost for sure though.
    Well dang skippy, you are fully on your way. Before July 2013 I never deadlifted or squatted before in my life, but if there were pro-cards for bench press and brocurls, I'd retire from a FT job and eat bon bons. I should think you could, at least squat and deadlift, add more than that to your lifts.
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I had a so-so weekend of lifting. Saturdays I deadlift and well, ouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEMixkqAfaM

420x4. Wasn't too bad of a pull and afterward I just did a lot of soft tissue work to minimize the damage if possible.

But Sunday, with reduced chest pain, I got in there and tested bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErNJ6ejNDfs
    Bench Press: 45x3x12 (15 seconds apart), 115x9 (felt REALLY heavy), 135x7, 5x165, 3x190, 225x3.

Everything was heavy and my groove wasn't quite there, but it was good to be under the bar again.

I 'm going to deload this week -- nothing over 60% -- and hope this is the final week of being injured. If I can return to full strength the following week, I will reset bench and deadlift and if I can't compete in June, there is a meet in July I think I can be ready for.
  • McCloud33
    Options

Well dang skippy, you are fully on your way. Before July 2013 I never deadlifted or squatted before in my life, but if there were pro-cards for bench press and brocurls, I'd retire from a FT job and eat bon bons. I should think you could, at least squat and deadlift, add more than that to your lifts.

@nakedraygun thanks. If I were just focused on getting stronger with no regard for BF or aesthetics, I'd agree that I could probably add more than that for squat and DL. Seems like I'm almost doing more of a recomp even though that's not necessarily my goal. My squat (and subsequently my DL) was definitely stronger it seemed when I was running the SL 5x5 program. I maxed out there with a 405# squat at 190ish BW. I don't think I've even come close to that since switching over to 5/3/1. At that same time I had a 405# DL, but actually hit 450# with the hexbar just because of the mechanics. Don't think I could come close to that right now either.
  • JoRocka
    Options

awwww thanks!!!!

00-01-16.jpg
    =)

Buried on rep 14.

SO.MUCH.SHIFTING.

I can relate to shifty. I usually hit that point at rep 5. I lose upper back tightness and the rest just seems like an attempt to recover it.

That makes me feel a lot better that it's not something that's isolated.
    It's a HUGE mental effort to keep my feet glued to the floor. Such an odd thing- and I can FEEL the lack of stability and weakness afterwards and I still want to do it. Its okay.

good news- I"m going to see someone new for my squat/SI joint issues.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hex bar Deads. I did 8x8 at 275 today. It was tiring.

• McCloud33
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

That's a lot of volume! Great job. I'd be careful pulling like that though...take the slack out before starting. Every time you went up, I thought you were going to pull a muscle in your back or something.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

That's a lot of volume! Great job. I'd be careful pulling like that though...take the slack out before starting. Every time you went up, I thought you were going to pull a muscle in your back or something.

Ha, it just looks that way. Shoulders are locked back before I go up. That was also the next to last set I think so I was tired. Should have filmed the earlier sets probably.