Losing weight after 40

Options

Replies

• Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Does anyone find it more difficult to lose weight, I am 43, about 5 years ago I lost about 55 pounds with weight watchers in about 6 months. So far with mfp it's going very slow. Anyone have this experience? Thanks for any input

I'm 48, and was surprised how quickly the weight fell off. I didn't think it would. In fact, I kind of started here to prove that I couldn't lose weight anymore what with perimenopause and all.

16 weeks later, I had lost 15 kg.

I took a month break, then went on to lose another 10 kg.

Guess I can't use age and perimenopause as an excuse. :grin:

Good for you!! I'm hoping that with consistent honest logging I'll be just as successful. Thanks for your input
  • Truecullers72
    Options
    Yanicka1 wrote: »
    Easier in fact. I have a lot more lean muscle mass than I ever did in my life.

Did you lift?
  • Truecullers72
    Options
    My husband and I both are 49 yrs old, and this has been the easiest program ever. He has lost 34 and I have lost 23, with more to come off. I sometimes can't believe how easy MFP is, along with exercise.

That's great I'm doing this with my husband also. Hopefully we will be just as successful as you guys
  • Truecullers72
    Options
    Nope started around the latter part of my 40's, very well into menopause (since 28 due to surgery) chronic pain condition and totally out of shape and on anti-depressants.....Many told me losing weight from the highest point @ 278 lbs was a fruitless endeavor.

Thank God I was stubborn enough to ignore them and approx. 2 1/2 years into dieting and then introducing a progressive walking program I did lose all that excess baggage and have been maintaining that loss for nigh on 3 years.

You are good to go and be the best you ever, never let age, life changes etc get in your way....work around, through and over the top of them.

I wish you great success.

Maintaining for three years is amazing
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    See, I'm 5'6", 45, and get to eat 1750-1850 more sedentary than sedentary on my pedometer! It can differ so much, and something has to account for it, but I'm really not sure what other than maybe LBM.

Im 41 and cant figure out what it could be. all my blood tests come back normal. so I have no clue. I know its not from not weighing and logging properly,and its not from not being active because I am.when I started MFP I was helping hubby tear down a house(sept 2014. worked sometimes 8 hrs(on my feet moving heavy boards from point a to point b), ate less then too and still didnt lose much. go figure

Maybe try dropping your calories a bit and see if that helps. Try 1400 + half your exercise calories.
    ate that for awhile. but ate back 50-75% of my exercise calories back, didnt get me anywhere either. did that for a like 3-4 months too.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Well the good news is you've found maintenance for the way you're currently logging and eating so I'd cut 250 calories off the way you are logging now for 6 weeks

you talking to me or? if so what I am eating now is about 300 less than my maintenance according to IIFYM and scoobys.(as well as my fitbit).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    See, I'm 5'6", 45, and get to eat 1750-1850 more sedentary than sedentary on my pedometer! It can differ so much, and something has to account for it, but I'm really not sure what other than maybe LBM.

Im 41 and cant figure out what it could be. all my blood tests come back normal. so I have no clue. I know its not from not weighing and logging properly,and its not from not being active because I am.when I started MFP I was helping hubby tear down a house(sept 2014. worked sometimes 8 hrs(on my feet moving heavy boards from point a to point b), ate less then too and still didnt lose much. go figure

Maybe try dropping your calories a bit and see if that helps. Try 1400 + half your exercise calories.
    ate that for awhile. but ate back 50-75% of my exercise calories back, didnt get me anywhere either. did that for a like 3-4 months too.
    Well the good news is you've found maintenance for the way you're currently logging and eating so I'd cut 250 calories off the way you are logging now for 6 weeks

you talking to me or? if so what I am eating now is about 300 less than my maintenance according to IIFYM and scoobys.(as well as my fitbit).

If you're maintaining your weight, and especially if you've been maintaining your weight for a while, then you're not eating less than maintenance ... no matter what these various sites suggest.

If 1400 + 50% of your exercise calories didn't work ... you may need to drop it to 1300 (just don't go below 1200).

Unfortunately for some of us, we maintain at what seems like a really low number of calories. Before starting with MFP, I can't tell you the number of times I've thought "but I'm not eating that much ... why can't I lose weight!" Turns out that for me to lose weight, 1350 + 50% of my exercise calories is about as high as I can go.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

If you're maintaining your weight, and especially if you've been maintaining your weight for a while, then you're not eating less than maintenance ... no matter what these various sites suggest.

If 1400 + 50% of your exercise calories didn't work ... you may need to drop it to 1300 (just don't go below 1200).

Unfortunately for some of us, we maintain at what seems like a really low number of calories. Before starting with MFP, I can't tell you the number of times I've thought "but I'm not eating that much ... why can't I lose weight!" Turns out that for me to lose weight, 1350 + 50% of my exercise calories is about as high as I can go.

You ladies must not be very tall?
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    At 35 I had no problems dropping weight. At 44...gah!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I am starving when I eat less than 1400 calories. some days when I dont have much of an appetite I will eat up to 1200,but I have to make myself but I dont have many of those days. anything below 1500 and Im hungry, not matter what I eat, even getting enough fat,protein,fiber and Im hungry. Im in maintenance right now and havent gained anything which is not expected but Im no longer hungry either.maybe my body just sees my current weight as a healthy weight for me? even though I was always in the lower 140s before I gained it. but I was skinny fat. never had an issue with losing weight really except for the last 6 months or so where I havent lost anything. I have lost 24lbs with MFP but altogether lost 44 not counting what I gained back.it took me 3 years to do that. the last 6 months I was eating 1580 calories and about half my exercise calories and some days I ate below that. some days I did overeat but not many, and my weekly total was still in the weight loss range to where I should have lost something. I even set my weight loss goal to .5 a week and wasnt even losing that. it was like a half a lb a month if that.1300 seems too low for me,I would be hungry.also when trying to lift heavy I have no energy when I eat so little. I have more energy now than I did. makes no sense in a way.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Im 5'6 1/2
  • Machka9
    Options

As mentioned earlier ... 5'6"

• Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do not find it difficult to lose weight. I am an expert at it. I've lost several hundred pounds in the last 10 years.

I just seem to find it again. I want to learn to keep it off.

68892776.png
  • Machka9
    edited January 2016
    Options

I just tried out this http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    ... entered my current weight, height, age, and the fact that I'm female ... and set my activity level at "Desk job with little exercise".

I do exercise a minimum of 7 hours a week, but that could possibly change (increase or decrease), and it does vary somewhat one day to the next, so I don't include it in these calculations. I'd rather keep the exercise separate, and use it as a buffer zone ... if I happen to want to eat more one day, the exercise will cover that.

It tells me that my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1245, and my Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) is 1495 ... and that to lose at a rate of 1 kg/month, I need to drop my calories to 1200.

That's pretty much what MFP is telling me too.

And with MFP, if I put myself as "Lightly Active" or "Active" (because I exercise a minimum of 7 hours a week), and then if I also log my exercise, I'm double-dipping. I'm essentially counting my exercise twice. So to avoid doing that, I put myself as "Sedentary" and then log my exercise when I actually do it. And for me, that provides more accurate numbers, which have worked well so far.

So for me to lose the last 5 kg, I will need to keep dropping my calories. I've got it set at 1450 right now ... next week, I'll drop it to 1400, and keep gradually dropping it down (toward 1200) until I reach my goal. :)

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    it says my TDEE is 2261(because I do 3-5 hrs a week or more of moderate exercise) bmr according to that is 1459 and 1809 calories., 1-3 hrs of light exercise gives me TDEE-2006.bmr is the same. it gives me 1605 calories I have eaten below both of these amounts before(the calories) in the last 6 months and nothing. awhile back I was eating at 2000 calories and not gaining any weight so I should have been losing eating less than that and I wasnt.. did that for awhile when I hit a plateau, before this one that lasted 2-3 months. and was losing slowly then too. The only time I saw a large drop in weight was when I went lower carb(not low carb) and that was like 5lbs and was mostly water weight.like I said ive lost 44 lbs in 3 years and 6 months. I lose it slowly it seems.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    it says my TDEE is 2261(because I do 3-5 hrs a week or more of moderate exercise) bmr according to that is 1459 and 1809 calories., 1-3 hrs of light exercise gives me TDEE-2006.bmr is the same. it gives me 1605 calories I have eaten below both of these amounts before(the calories) in the last 6 months and nothing. awhile back I was eating at 2000 calories and not gaining any weight so I should have been losing eating less than that and I wasnt.. did that for awhile when I hit a plateau, before this one that lasted 2-3 months. and was losing slowly then too. The only time I saw a large drop in weight was when I went lower carb(not low carb) and that was like 5lbs and was mostly water weight.like I said ive lost 44 lbs in 3 years and 6 months. I lose it slowly it seems.

You're either not logging accurately or those estimated aren't working for you ...also bmr doesn't change so you're reading something wrong

As I said cut another 250 off or read calorie counting 101 and refocus on logging

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am logging accurately. if its fresh fruits or veggies I use usda entries(I cross reference to make sure its correct,I weigh all meat,nuts,seeds,condiments,etc). I weigh everything in grams. I dont always weight my yogurt cups but sometimes I do,where did I say BMR changes? just stated what my BMR was per scooby and other things according to them(I said in both scenarios about the bmr was the same). like I said, awhile back I was eating at 2000 calories and didnt gain so then I was at maintenance in that case,correct? so why is it that when I dropped it down to 1800 or even 1500,I didnt lose anything? I made sure I ate at those levels for months on end and I was lucky to lose 2/10 of a pound if that. when I first started here at MFP I was given 1700+ calories to eat. I lost weight but again it was slow and less than a lb a week,sometimes it would be every 2 week,(since I know weight loss isnt linear). I was doing fine up until 6 months ago,when I hit a plateau and nothing I did helped. I lowered my calories and still nothing.24 lbs lost in 490 days is not a lot of weight loss. thats 0.04 lbs a day(1.2lbs a month average) if my math is correct. I wasnt even weighing the first week to a month because I didnt have a scale. once I did and got the hang of it by reading the forums,I lost maybe a little bit more,but not much.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sorry I must have misread what did you mean by the first line bmr is 1459 and1809?

It is clear, given the time frame that the estimates aren't working for you so you need to experiment with the numbers you're using as you are sure if your logging. A 1.2lb drop per month is still the right direction but indicates you are eating approx 140 calls per day under your actual TDEE ...my advice if you want to speed that up is to cut a little more

Or it is possibly time to visit your doctor and get thyroid and blood tests
  • Machka9
    Options
    I am logging accurately. if its fresh fruits or veggies I use usda entries(I cross reference to make sure its correct,I weigh all meat,nuts,seeds,condiments,etc). I weigh everything in grams. I dont always weight my yogurt cups but sometimes I do,where did I say BMR changes? just stated what my BMR was per scooby and other things according to them(I said in both scenarios about the bmr was the same). like I said, awhile back I was eating at 2000 calories and didnt gain so then I was at maintenance in that case,correct? so why is it that when I dropped it down to 1800 or even 1500,I didnt lose anything? I made sure I ate at those levels for months on end and I was lucky to lose 2/10 of a pound if that. when I first started here at MFP I was given 1700+ calories to eat. I lost weight but again it was slow and less than a lb a week,sometimes it would be every 2 week,(since I know weight loss isnt linear). I was doing fine up until 6 months ago,when I hit a plateau and nothing I did helped. I lowered my calories and still nothing.24 lbs lost in 490 days is not a lot of weight loss. thats 0.04 lbs a day(1.2lbs a month average) if my math is correct. I wasnt even weighing the first week to a month because I didnt have a scale. once I did and got the hang of it by reading the forums,I lost maybe a little bit more,but not much.

I'm curious how you're counting exercise.

You say MFP gave you 1700+ cal to eat ... so you must have set yourself at Active? Is that right? I'm guessing that's the case because we're basically the same height, and the only way I could get MFP to give me 1700+ cal would be to set myself at Active.

You've also mentioned that you eat 50-75% of your exercise calories back ... are you also logging exercise calories?

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, but I guess that's near enough 40. Scary lol.

I can't really compare as my body is a bit different now I suppose as I've had 3 children (6, 4 and 20 months), so my stomach is still a bit bigger than I'd like, plus I've only got into weight and resistance training in the past few years whereas in my 20s I did purely cardio. I have also lost the 'you must eat 1200 calories to lose weight' mentality that I used to have.

I kept some clothes from my 20s (things like Levi's, and some designer bits) and they fit me now, 13+ years on.