Losing weight after 40

Options
1235»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am logging accurately. if its fresh fruits or veggies I use usda entries(I cross reference to make sure its correct,I weigh all meat,nuts,seeds,condiments,etc). I weigh everything in grams. I dont always weight my yogurt cups but sometimes I do,where did I say BMR changes? just stated what my BMR was per scooby and other things according to them(I said in both scenarios about the bmr was the same). like I said, awhile back I was eating at 2000 calories and didnt gain so then I was at maintenance in that case,correct? so why is it that when I dropped it down to 1800 or even 1500,I didnt lose anything? I made sure I ate at those levels for months on end and I was lucky to lose 2/10 of a pound if that. when I first started here at MFP I was given 1700+ calories to eat. I lost weight but again it was slow and less than a lb a week,sometimes it would be every 2 week,(since I know weight loss isnt linear). I was doing fine up until 6 months ago,when I hit a plateau and nothing I did helped. I lowered my calories and still nothing.24 lbs lost in 490 days is not a lot of weight loss. thats 0.04 lbs a day(1.2lbs a month average) if my math is correct. I wasnt even weighing the first week to a month because I didnt have a scale. once I did and got the hang of it by reading the forums,I lost maybe a little bit more,but not much.

I'm curious how you're counting exercise.

You say MFP gave you 1700+ cal to eat ... so you must have set yourself at Active? Is that right? I'm guessing that's the case because we're basically the same height, and the only way I could get MFP to give me 1700+ cal would be to set myself at Active.

You've also mentioned that you eat 50-75% of your exercise calories back ... are you also logging exercise calories?

Good spot

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds when I was past 50 years old.
  • Azzrielish
    Azzrielish Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Definitely harder for me. Following the same calorie deficit and exercise routine I did back in my mid thirties when I first started putting on weight, now at 45 my weight loss is much slower. I still lose but sometimes it's painfully slow. Ten years ago I could lose 1-2 lbs a week, now I tend to average 0.5lbs a week
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No, I've found it easier if anything. I've had two stints on MFP. First time I was 38, lost 60lbs. Equal parts calorie counting and exercise. Developed some health issues that compromised my ability to exercise the way I was used to, got very down, reverted to old habits, put back 34lbs over three years. A couple more years and a hysterectomy later, I lost 32 of the 34lbs between July and October last year (age 43), at pretty much the same rate but with way less exercise (mostly walking), and regularly eating 1500+.
  • Truecullers72
    Truecullers72 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Azzrielish wrote: »
    Definitely harder for me. Following the same calorie deficit and exercise routine I did back in my mid thirties when I first started putting on weight, now at 45 my weight loss is much slower. I still lose but sometimes it's painfully slow. Ten years ago I could lose 1-2 lbs a week, now I tend to average 0.5lbs a week

This is pretty much my issue its not that I'm not losing but it's slower.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Slow loss is good, it's sustainable. And it's still losing.
  • audreyanderson4
    audreyanderson4 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and find it diffucult to lose weight
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry I must have misread what did you mean by the first line bmr is 1459 and1809?

It is clear, given the time frame that the estimates aren't working for you so you need to experiment with the numbers you're using as you are sure if your logging. A 1.2lb drop per month is still the right direction but indicates you are eating approx 140 calls per day under your actual TDEE ...my advice if you want to speed that up is to cut a little more

Or it is possibly time to visit your doctor and get thyroid and blood tests

I have gotten blood tests and all my tests come back normal every time. I am on advair and read that it can make weight loss a lot slower for some so that may be it. I dont know
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I am logging accurately. if its fresh fruits or veggies I use usda entries(I cross reference to make sure its correct,I weigh all meat,nuts,seeds,condiments,etc). I weigh everything in grams. I dont always weight my yogurt cups but sometimes I do,where did I say BMR changes? just stated what my BMR was per scooby and other things according to them(I said in both scenarios about the bmr was the same). like I said, awhile back I was eating at 2000 calories and didnt gain so then I was at maintenance in that case,correct? so why is it that when I dropped it down to 1800 or even 1500,I didnt lose anything? I made sure I ate at those levels for months on end and I was lucky to lose 2/10 of a pound if that. when I first started here at MFP I was given 1700+ calories to eat. I lost weight but again it was slow and less than a lb a week,sometimes it would be every 2 week,(since I know weight loss isnt linear). I was doing fine up until 6 months ago,when I hit a plateau and nothing I did helped. I lowered my calories and still nothing.24 lbs lost in 490 days is not a lot of weight loss. thats 0.04 lbs a day(1.2lbs a month average) if my math is correct. I wasnt even weighing the first week to a month because I didnt have a scale. once I did and got the hang of it by reading the forums,I lost maybe a little bit more,but not much.

I'm curious how you're counting exercise.

You say MFP gave you 1700+ cal to eat ... so you must have set yourself at Active? Is that right? I'm guessing that's the case because we're basically the same height, and the only way I could get MFP to give me 1700+ cal would be to set myself at Active.

You've also mentioned that you eat 50-75% of your exercise calories back ... are you also logging exercise calories?

no I didnt set it to active, its set to lightly active now I think(which I am now but before it was sedentary), I was given 1700+ when I first started out 491 days ago when I was 209#. I was losing weight then but it was slow. I have adjusted the amount for every 10lbs like It said. I hit a plateau about 3 or 4 months in. so I lowered them to 1580(mfp set it at that). lost weight even slower then and I was about 5 lbs more than I am currently. but many days I was eating under that(between 1300 and 1400,some days only 1200+. hit a plateau yet again so several people who have been here years(dont remember the names) suggest I do maintenance for a month or so and try again,to give my body a break, did that ate about 2000 calories and lost a little here and there,then that stopped so went back down to the 1580. thats when I hit this 6 month long plateau. I have logged exercise calories, and then I didnt log them for awhile only giving myself one calorie for exercise. I have a fitbit that counts my calories and its synced to mfp but it will say I burned say 300-400 calories but when it syncs it gives me around 200 or a little above. so it gives me less than it says I burned which is ok for me.I also had a polar FT7 HRM and I would log the calories it gave me but put about 25% less than what it was and lost weight then too. its just been slow for me. I have been trying for 3 years and like I said the first 4 months I lost 17lbs without trying just being more active,not logging food,etc.then the next 6 months or so I lost another 16 lbs. then toward the end of the second year I gained half of it back so I came here.I have lost 24lbs in the last 491 days but the last 6 months I have lost nothing but the same amount of weight(about 7 lbs) back,then I lose it again and then gain it again.