40+, WITH 40+ TO LOSE!

Replies

• 9bars
    9bars Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi all I'm 46, I lost over a 100lbs with mfp a while back and felt amazing, but lapsed and put so much back on I have 60lb to lose. Our hols are booked for the beginning of July so I'm feeling very motivated to do the best I can before then and fit into my summer clothes. I lurked last time, but would like to make some friends this time. I'm not really into going to the gym, but walk as much as I can and have a puppy that keeps me busy :smile:
  • midwest_siren
    midwest_siren Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2016
    I hadn't thought about upcoming events and mini goals for those. Thanks @9bars! My niece gets hitched in CA in May. Vacation to New Orleans in July. Good timeframes for goal setting. 1-2 lb/week is what I am shooting for. @Sparkymel are you shooting for 1300 or less regardless of activity? Or when you add activity, will you eat some of the calories earned back?
  • ssmith661
    ssmith661 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 45 and feel like my life is out of control. My solution? I pay the babysitter's assistant a few extra bucks to take my kids home for me, so I can go to the gym at least twice a week and they're not home alone too long. (Hubby works nights.) My biggest weight loss challenge is to stop being part of the 'clean plate club.' My parents grew up post-depression, and we had to finish everything on our plates. I have to train myself to listen when my stomach tells my brain I'm full. Having good results so far, but it's too soon to be a habit.
  • latineyes2
    latineyes2 Posts: 31 Member
    Hello!! 42 as well and a single mom of a beautiful 16-yr old. She's been hearing me complaining for years about needing to lose weight and I've done nothing about it. I wasn't at all over weight until she was around 2 and I got a car (didn't have 1 for 3-years). Then the weight piled on. I sat comfortably at a size 14 for many years with my waist line slowly expanding to a 16. I adjusted my clothes, instead of my mind. I've tried WW & had success - dropped back to a 14, but I don't want to count points. A couple years ago I tried meal replacement supplement drinks... That was a bust! Then I lost my job in 2013 and went into a deep depression. My waistline expanded to a size 18. I've ignored it for a couple of years until recently... We had a family reunion and I saw myself with my cousins and was completely disgusted with myself. The maternity shirt I was wearing (yup, I haven't been pregos in 17-years and bought a maternity shirt) looked absolutely horrifying on me!!! I looked awful and barely recognized myself. Then a month later my Dr told me, what I was suspecting... I was boarderline diabetic! I had a feeling it was going that route cause of how carbs and food made me feel after I ate.

I decided then that I MUST do something! It was Do or Die!!!!

I waited a couple weeks after New Years to avoid the "New Year, New You" bandwagon, as I believe the is just "Starting New"... Today is the end of week 1 and I feel great!!! I'm changing my eating habits, logging everything and exercising. It feels great too!!!

My journey will include about 80+/- lbs. I've decided that when I get to a size 8, I'll be satisfied. That was my pre- baby size. I don't think I can go much smaller, as the last time I was smaller than a 8 was Jr High. Our bodies run a bit thicker and denser in my family. So initially it will be about weight loss, but the end result will be about health, body image and how I look in clothes!!!

Look forward to encouraging interchange!!!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    46, with 50 lbs to lose (well, 48 now!). We got this! Just gotta keep working and supporting each other and we'll get there!
  • tweetsmom
    tweetsmom Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 44, and have about 40 lbs. to lose. I've always struggled with weight. I have several medical conditions that make it difficult to lose weight but oh-so-easy to gain it! Ugh! I am starting my 3rd week of exercise (4 times a week for at least 30 minutes AND striving to get 10,000 steps per day, which is not easy with a desk job!) and have been eating better and logging what I eat for the past two weeks as well. The scale has not moved, except for the cruel game of up 1, down 1, up 1 again, but I am starting to see a difference in my shape, so I'm happy with that. It's a long, hard struggle and we all need to support each other! Feel free to add me! The more the merrier! :smile:
  • momlb05
    momlb05 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm 48 and I have 100+ to lose. I joined WW in October, and I'm down 15 pounds since then. I'm a teacher and a mom of 4 kids ages 10-26 (yes, they all live at home, haha). My 16 year old has a chronic non-healing wound from pilinidal disease, and I feel like much of my free time is spent with her, trying to motivate her to walk a bit, taking her to doctors, etc. It is hard to focus on me, but I need to. I can't stay this weight any longer! I'd love to be a part of your group.
  • Sparkymel
    Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
    @greeneyes998 I agree. Small changes can do great things!
  • Sparkymel
    The holidays do make it harder @87chell congratulations on losing weight! I am finding my groove right now also. Staying focused seems easier with a support team.
  • Sparkymel
    @9bars my brother is getting married in May, also. Definately a huge motivator.
  • Sparkymel
    @ssmith661 the 'Clean plate club', is such a great point! I have been putting much smaller portions on my plate and using a small plate. This seems to help a lot, with portion control, for me.
  • Sparkymel
    I understand completely @latineyes2. It is so hard to look at pictures and realize that is what my size looks like now. I have avoided so many functions because of it. When I started this journey, last week, I decided that I will not let this weight control me anymore. That's literally how I have felt. One step at a time. I am planning on getting active this week.
  • Sparkymel
    @tweetsmom congrats on adding exercise to your routine. It is so hard to make myself do it. I am getting there though.
  • Sparkymel
    Welcome @momlb05. We got this!
  • momlb05
    momlb05 Posts: 7 Member
    My first day tracking on MFP was eye-opening....wow was my sodium higher than I expected! Have an awesome day, keep your eye on the prize!
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Well, I am over 40 (a tiny bit over 50 actually). I have taken off 111 lbs in the past 16 months with about 55 more to go. My motivation is the fact that I have spent some 30+ years in emergency services trying to save others and the time has come to save myself. I want the last half of my life to be the best half. ROCK ON!!!
  • Sparkymel
    That is awesome @wrenegade64! Congratulations! Any tips or advice?
  • Sparkymel
    Good morning! What's everyone doing today, to stay focused? Mfp is really helping me. Today I am going to focus on getting active.
  • kcalli44
    kcalli44 Posts: 5 Member
    I am 40 with 40 lbs to lose. I have two athletic girls that are 9 and 11 and it's hard to keep up with them now. I want to drop the weight and get back into shape for myself and for them. This is my first day using MFP, so I'm hoping tracking along with some exercise and support will really help. Like you I was a very healthy athletic kid and stayed in pretty good shape until I was 35. After a couple of injuries and a car wreck, I let myself get really our of shape. I have always been one to eat what I want and exercise to maintain my weight. When I wasn't able to exercise regularly, my weight started to climb. Now, I'm at my heaviest and ready to make a change. Not sure how groups or friends work on MFP, but any support would be great.
  • latineyes2
    latineyes2 Posts: 31 Member
    @Sparkymel You should post your good morning to your wall so everyone can comment!!! I enjoy your energy and enthusiasm!!!