40+, WITH 40+ TO LOSE!

Options

Replies

• jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I think once a week.
    But it's a very personal choice, isn't it
    My thoughts are that by weighing only once a week it makes you think about your choices, so it's more about a change of lifestyle rather than a daily reliance on success or not. Besides, the healthy amount to lose is 2-4lbs a week, (dependant on number of issues) so it would be difficult to see change from day to day at that rate
  • Sparkymel
    Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Very true @jimmckenna68.
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    Thank you, ma'am
    Been out yet?

• CBOEGuy
    CBOEGuy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's nice when you can see a difference: uon5j94v9wjv.jpg
    mju5o5zbjgd6.jpg
  • Misrav17
    Misrav17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm 42 and 5'3 and my goal weight is 120 pounds, currently on 154. I'm using MFP to track everything and would love for you to add me as I find the support of friends on the forums and news feeds are what keeps me accountable and motivated.
  • tanyabrillhart9
    tanyabrillhart9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 46. As of my last weigh in Friday I've lost a total of 154 pounds since wellll...since 1 year ago exactly today. I have 77 more pounds to loose to hit my goal. I'm DETERMINED to get there. I'm shooting for July-August. You CAN do it.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread has grown. I'm at the other end of my loss journey and now maintaining and prepping for a shred in March.
    so to answer @Sparkymel this is what I did.
    1. Tracked everything
    2. Exercised, combo of cardio and weights. Regularly. At least 4 times a week.
    3. Wore a HRM
    4. Accept that it is a journey and not a quick fix
    5. Accept there will be ups and downs in said journey
    6. Accept that weight loss isn't linear
    7. Accept there will be fluctuations on the scale
    8. Accept that hormones, weight training, salt, refined carbs can mess with the scale
    9. Take measurements. My waist was 37 at one stage. It's 29 now
    10. Give it time. It's taken me 19 months to lose 42lbs. It was slow but steady.
    11. Stick to your calorie allowance as best you can

When I started I was 12 stone 7 pounds. At my heaviest I was nudging 13 stone. I'm 5'8". My goal when I started here was to drop 2 stone. That was my absolute goal. I have gone way beyond that, losing one stone 2 pounds more, am leaned out. I have upper body definition in my biceps, lats and delts. I have a small, growing 6-pack and as I've become more motivated and interested in fitness and nutrition. My fitness life is targeted weight training, some cardio (not much), body weight conditioning and aerial sport.
    Good luck to you all.
  • Sparkymel
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes it is @CBOEGuy! Congratulations!
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @tanyabrillhart9, truly inspiring!! Congratulations on such a great achievement! Any tips or advice?
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    What great advice and words @1mumrevolution! Thank you so much for sharing.
  • mommapj0918
    mommapj0918 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and need to loose over 100 pounds. One of my lifelong friends was recently in the hospital for over 7 weeks. Her body is retaining huge amounts of fluid which has to be drained. At some point during her stay she had a heart attack. I went to see her in early December to set up her tree and decorate a little. She had been sitting in her chair for over 24 hours it took me & my husband along with her efforts to get her out of that chair. I left there determined to never get into that shape. I have used MFP before and find it very helpful. I started this time on 1/4/2016 and have lost 12 pounds although it doesn't show on here because I had to loose back down to where I stopped on here last year. I lost 65 pounds in 1982 at 29, in 6 months, I lost 85 pounds in 2004-2006, much harder to loose in my 50's. All of that to say I really see this as something I must do the rest of my life.
  • ImWithHer
    ImWithHer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 40 and fit because I exercise like crazy, but I have 40-50 lbs to lose because I shove too much delicious food in my face!
    I'd love New MFP friends so please add!
  • jimmckenna68
    Options
    ImWithHer wrote: »
    I am 40 and fit because I exercise like crazy, but I have 40-50 lbs to lose because I shove too much delicious food in my face!
    I'd love New MFP friends so please add!
    HA!! I feel your pain! I'm like you, according to my resting heart rate I'm an athlete!??!
    But with 20lbs to shed, I'm no athlete!!
  • tanyabrillhart9
    tanyabrillhart9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sparkymel wrote: »
    @tanyabrillhart9, truly inspiring!! Congratulations on such a great achievement! Any tips or advice?

I'm on a wonderful weight loss program.
    I have a free health coach, and I've begun coaching as well.
    My advice, eat 6 small carb/protein balanced meals a day. Drink at least 80 oz. of water a day and be mindful of what you eat.
  • Mama_cc
    Mama_cc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone! Cheering all of you on toward your goals!! A new day today ; )
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @mommapj0918 Great start! We got this!
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    Great advice @tanyabrillhart9! Thank you for sharing!
    Sparkymel wrote: »

I'm on a wonderful weight loss program.
    I have a free health coach, and I've begun coaching as well.
    My advice, eat 6 small carb/protein balanced meals a day. Drink at least 80 oz. of water a day and be mindful of what you eat.

• bianca616
    bianca616 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love what I am reading on this thread and would love to be part of this motivating group. I turn 40 in November this year and need and want to lose 40 (or more). I'm tired of being over weight and not being comfortable in my own skin. I feel like its holding me back and because I am overweight, I feel like I'm not as deserving of love and friendship for some reason, which I have both. I am happily married and have been for 12 years. I have 2 awesome kids 10 and 8 and I want to feel good and be healthy. I'm sick of being tired and not having energy. It's time for a change and I know that I need support and motivation to reach my goal. I know we can all do this, we just have to be intentional and stick together. We got this!!

I also am 40 with 2 great kids and a wonderful husband and I also felt uncomfortable in my own skin. I started MFP about 2 weeks ago and it has helped me stay accountable and Encouraged. When I have dieted and lost weight before I have never had the added help and support from a community of people experiencing things and feeling the way I do. I think it has been the game changer for me. I have 50 pounds to lose so a long journey is ahead of me. Let's motivate each other! Everyone in this thread can friend me.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 with 52 pounds to lose. I've lost 50 pounds over the past few years. Some of the weight loss was with MFP, and some was on my own. The past several months have been a struggle for me. I'm working to right the ship. Good luck to each of you in your fitness journey. It takes courage to acknowledge that there is a need to lose weight, and then to set about to do something about it. I know many people in real life who can't or won't or are too scared to acknowledge the need to eat healthier, to exercise or to lose weight. Consequently, they don't do the things that we're attempting to do. I want to lose the weight and increase my fitness for myself and for those in my family who need to do the same (I want to be a role model for them).
  • zumbaqueen423
    zumbaqueen423 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 (42 in April) with 30 lbs to lose. I've done it before and I know I can do it again. I just got back on MFP yesterday and I'm determined this time to make it work. Having this community is definitely going to help me stay on track and motivated.

Anyone reading this, please feel free to add me! :smiley: