40+, WITH 40+ TO LOSE!

Options

Replies

• urubaw
    urubaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been looking for people similar in age to me and with similar weight loss goals. I'm 48 and my current goal is to lose 2 pounds per week (avg.) and get down to 158 by June 10. I weigh 198 now. I used MFP for a while last year, lost about 7 lbs. and then quit. I do t know why....just got lazy or discouraged or....(?) Over the holidays I overdid it and tried to make myself think I didn't care but I realized I have to lose weight and exercise more to be healthy and feel better about myself. I'm tired of being afraid of cameras, getting nervous about work presentations , not because of having to speak but because I don't want people to look at me, and most of all, I'm tired of hearing people ask me when I'm due or make what they think are friendly comments about me being pregnant when I'm not. My belly is where I hold most of my weight. I have 2 kids--a 16 yr old son and 12 year old daughter, and a husband. Despite probably sounding down, I'm actually quite a positive thinker and happy with my life! I'm just really struggling with body image and weight loss. It's hard to talk to family and friends because I feel like the thin ones don't understand and others might get tired of hearing about it or think, 'she's been down this road before...what's different this time?" I really want this time to be different and will try hard to reach my goal. I would love to find a few online MFP friends to join forces and support each other!

We are so much in the same place. Except I'm 44 with two boys 21 and 18 with a husband. I'm totally happy with my life at home. It's the career that's giving me the blues and I believe that its partially due to my weight. People don't respect you when your fat. Especially younger folk. They see it as a weakness. Most of my weight is in my belly too. I'm just realized over the last year that I am an stress eater.
  • Sparkymel
    Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @missroseseeshertoes I can totally relate to the job situation. Working in management, in an office is very stressful. We have to take time for ourselves. Even if it's just for 30 minutes or an hour, each day. We deserve it!
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @JRenee180 I am with you. I want to lose 60 by my birthday.
  • BestKathryn
    BestKathryn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am just starting to reclaim the person I truly wish to be. I am 45 yrs old and have 3 kids 13,11 and 6 yrs. I need to lose 22kg. I have allowed overwhelming stresses of last couple of years to interfere with my health. I am now deeply uncomfortable in my skin. This afternoon I was meant to join a family function but found no clothes to fit and felt so ashamed. Decided not to go and husband & kids went without me. I don't want to feel this way anymore. I am keen to be involved in mutual support as we become healthier, happier versions of ourselves.
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @BestKathryn I've been there, more often than I wish. This group is amazing and constantly motivates me. So glad to have you!
  • jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful thread. I have read all of your comments and I am in exactly the same boat and it feels great to have some company. I am Heidi and I am 42. I have spent too many years in a very stressful job that has basically cost me my health. I now weigh 130kgs and have a seditary lifestyle. I get so angry when I see people out exercising at 5:30am in the morning and I am heading into the office for another 12 hour day. This year however, i needed to change. I have had enough and am going to lose this weight and get fit and healthy so I can live as long as possible and do the things I love. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I have a long way to go, but am happy to offer and also have some support. 65kgs to lose, but I am going to do it. Much love on your Journey H x

Hey. Just stop the car - you're driving it not the other way round, get out and join those running and walking. That's how it starts.
  • DSassy11
    DSassy11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm a 42 year old newly married to a wonderful man. I have inherited a beautiful daughter and a teenage son of my own. I currently weigh 235 and I'm 5'5. My husband is very supportive of my journey and has also become more active. My kids on the other hand eat bad even tho I make healthy meals they are old enough to throw French fries in the oven or stop and pick up fast food when they are out. I'm hoping some good habits will wear off. I have lost 10lbs in 25 days and find this site very helpful and incentive. When I see the friends I made and the ones that have joined since I started comment on or encourage me or others makes me continue to want to use it and commit to this journey.
  • GinaSpartan
    GinaSpartan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am just starting to reclaim the person I truly wish to be. I am 45 yrs old and have 3 kids 13,11 and 6 yrs. I need to lose 22kg. I have allowed overwhelming stresses of last couple of years to interfere with my health. I am now deeply uncomfortable in my skin. This afternoon I was meant to join a family function but found no clothes to fit and felt so ashamed. Decided not to go and husband & kids went without me. I don't want to feel this way anymore. I am keen to be involved in mutual support as we become healthier, happier versions of ourselves.

Boy can I ever relate...I keep putting off buying new clothes that fit me because I'm tired of the sizes I need to get into...and I've often had a clothing crisis just before an event. But really...let's all keep working hard at this new goal and...in the meantime...find clothes that work for our current body. Don't let this stop you from living fully. There for you Kathryn!
  • Feistychick68
    Feistychick68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    47 and need to lose the baggage I'm cart around in my life, heart, mind and body. I have struggled for a long time with self esteem and depression. A relationship that hurts and Emo eating. Awaiting a biopsy result ATM but in the meantime want to give this weight loss issue one more kick at the can. Goal to Lise 50 minimum
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @DSassy11 Congrats, on the weight loss! Good job sticking with it and resisting the temptations that are brought into the house.
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @Feistychick68 I pray that your biopsy comes back ok. Working on getting back to me, also. The support here is amazing. Stick with it.
  • Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You've got this journey! Feel free to add me
  • collteach328
    collteach328 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 41 and have about 60lbs. To lose. I had surgery to remove 1/2 my thyroid about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I'm terrified of gaining weight due to that, so I'm trying to get myself motivated to focus on a healthier lifestyle. With 2 children, a busy husband, and a somewhat stressful career, it's easy to forget about me. We are about to move back to the US after 3 years living in Okinawa, Japan....so that is added stress, but also a motivator to shed some weight before going home.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Back at MFP as of yesterday, after a long hiatus and gaining back 33 of the 40 pounds I had lost a couple of years ago with this awesome community. My long term goal is to lose 70 lbs. Just turned 47, self-employed (ie, cray cray schedule!), single, adult daughter living in another state. Looking for pals and loving the posts in on this thread! Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @collteach328 Busy schedules and stress make it hard sometimes. MFP is great for motivation and support. Journal daily and stay focused. You got this!
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @paxetamore Totally relate. Being a single mom makes it hard to focus sometimes. It's hard no matter what, but we are worth it!
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    2neq4fvtkul9.jpg

This is why it's a lifestyle change. Never quit!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 40 yet, still have 9 months left in my 30's, lol. But would love more pals with similar goals. I've been on a mission to get fit and healthy by my 40th, started about two years ago or so. So far I'm down 60+ lbs and have another 35 to go. ;-)
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss @IsaCaliBel . Such a great achievement! Welcome. Any tips or advice?
  • jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    IsaCaliBel wrote: »
    I'm not quite 40 yet, still have 9 months left in my 30's, lol. But would love more pals with similar goals. I've been on a mission to get fit and healthy by my 40th, started about two years ago or so. So far I'm down 60+ lbs and have another 35 to go. ;-)

GET STUCK IN!!