40+, WITH 40+ TO LOSE!

Replies

• jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    @Sparkymel I've been using MFP since April 2015 and have lost 32lbs. I took a break and focused on maintaining that for the last four months. But now I'm ready to lose the remaining 70lbs I need to lose. I have been struggling with getting motivated to continue, but I definitely don't want to backslide and regain what I lost. I have struggled with my weight my whole life and am working on changing a lifetime of bad habits. I want to do this to feel more confident and be healthy now that I am in my 40s.

I am focusing on making small changes and adjustments as new challenges come up. I believe a lot of my issues have to do with emotional eating, like eating when I'm bored or anxious. I am a very private person so posting online like this is new to me, but I thought it could help keep me on the right track.

So far the things I have done that have helped me maintain the 32b loss have been to always have enough protein for the day and devote one day a week to preparing food for the week ahead. I rarely go out to eat anymore and when I do I look at the menu ahead of time so I'm not tempted when I get there. I also know my trigger foods and I don't bring them in the house. Would love to connect with you and support each other.

Hi
    Just mucking around looking at UK members.
    Go for it, you aren't losing weight, your getting rid of it, ditching it.
    Losing implies loss, in this case though, the more you lose, the more you gain in so many other ways.
    Get stuck in! Happy to chum you along the road, have 21lbs to go but got rid of 30 already.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Hello ladies ! Me too me too :) 42 years old from Montreal. Started 12 days ago my journey to lose 75 pounds. I am 5'5 and started at 225. I weighed in on tuesday (one week in) at 218.2 :) How is that for vulnerability. lol
    I am truly loving this app. It is so motivating and sort of turns the whole journey inot a game and God knows I love my games !! The community aspect is priceless and just makes me feel like I am not alone. Anyone who this might resonate with please FEEL FREE TO ADD ME as a friend. Love to hear diffrent views, tricks and tips !
  • kammy150
    kammy150 Posts: 4 Member
    I am 46 and want to loose 70# to reach my goal. I understand the comments of being tired of feeling tired. I have always been a positive, the cup is 1/2 full type of person. However, the more weight I gain the more self esteem I loose. Reading everyone's posts here has lifted my spirits and encouraged me to keep trying. Thank you!!
  • tzolman87
    tzolman87 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hello everyone this sounds like a group that I would like to join. I'm 46 and would like to lose about 50 pounds. I have a desk job and have not been very active. I need to make healthy choices for me. I just started being diligent about logging my food and for a Fitbit to track my steps and activity. This is the hardest for me but I'm making small changes. Also joined a local TOPS group with my husband to have more accountability. Looking forward to a healthy 2016!
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    I'm 44 and 6 years ago I lost 80 lbs. in 8 mos with whole foods, exercise and effort.....Unfortunately, 50 lbs crept back with a few injuries, personal loss, and those were excuses. My torn disc is God's way of saying I need balance in my life. I just can't workout recklessly like I used to and have to be impeccable with nutrition just to drop weight. I could care less that I weigh 200 lbs. but the joints just don't like that much weight on my 5'6" frame. I am content in a lot of ways, I just want to get stronger so I won't end up in a wheelchair at 60. I'm not your average bear as my motivation is not for a wedding, a guy, or happiness. Health and longevity is the key for me. I do hate this pre-menopausal hormone garbage that just makes this part of life crummy. But I guess when I do get the cranky, hormone rage, I just take it out on the weights or boxing heavy bag! LOL
  • Sparkymel
    Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
    Good morning! I love reading all of the new posts. So inspiring! It's so nice to have each other, for encouragement. No matter what part of the journey you're on, we got this!
  • kvanae
    kvanae Posts: 5 Member
    I agree. Let's get healthy!!
  • CBOEGuy
    CBOEGuy Posts: 2 Member
    I'm down 45.4, I was down 54.4, but have put 10 on during the holidays. I have 55 more to lose (I want to lose 100 total). I don't know about you, but @ 54 years of age I've come to the conclusion that I have virtually no self control over junk food. The mindset for me has to be total abstinence from sweets, fast food, and starchy stuff like garlic bread. I've been on Paleo and it's changed my life. I lost 50 lbs in 90 days on it going from 278 to 228 eating 1500 calories a day and wasn't hungry. The notion of "self control" and the practice of eating what I want, as long as I stay under a calorie count for me has been a complete and total failure. I had to completely change the foods I eat (spinach seems to help me with cravings), and after nearly 20 years I finally lost weight. I think I may be different from most people, but after losing 50 lbs and feeling great I allowed myself a little sugar over the holidays, and I was off to the races, the mental negotiating began, the "one-more-day" thing started again. I think all these diet plans and diet gurus that tell you it's easy are full of it. If you're like me, and you binge eat, and have a history of unhealthy relationships with starch and sugar I believe the only solution is complete abstinence. The insanity is doing this over and over. When you go through these chat forums, you see it over and over, people change the way they eat, lost weight, go back to eating junk, and then the weight comes back on. People don't get fat on salad and protein, who goes on a salad binge? I don't - so this is just my 2 cents. Bless you and I hope you continue to do well. This is just really hard, the brain obviously gets wired a certain way after years of rewards and it's very painful to change.
  • Sparkymel
    Great advice @CBOEGuy ! That is the truth, for so many of us. It is a lifestyle change. There are certain things, that I cannot allow myself to have. We all have triggers. Knowing them and choosing to stay away from them, is so important.
  • biggccman
    biggccman Posts: 11 Member
    45 years here with an initial goal of 84 to lose. Managed 20 already but a long way to go yet.
  • GinaSpartan
    GinaSpartan Posts: 13 Member
    Trying not to kick myself...had a couple of friends for dinner, and though I tried to keep it totally healthy (and even tried to plan out what I'd eat in advance)...and ran on the treadmill for 40 minutes...I still ended up eating a few too many little appetizers and 1 too many desserts. Ahhhh. Every. Little. Bite. Matters! Okay...so now that I've confessed...guess I'll just get back to basics again tomorrow and return to my plan. I just found that trying to plan a dinner that I'm hosting and not having lots of options (as I usually do) was hard.
  • Franflanro
    Franflanro Posts: 1 Member
    This group sounds great, I have about 50 lbs to lose. I came to this site tonight looking for motivation to get me started on the long road ahead. Thanks so much for providing inspiration!
  • godstheleader
    godstheleader Posts: 1 Member
    I love what I am reading on this thread and would love to be part of this motivating group. I turn 40 in November this year and need and want to lose 40 (or more). I'm tired of being over weight and not being comfortable in my own skin. I feel like its holding me back and because I am overweight, I feel like I'm not as deserving of love and friendship for some reason, which I have both. I am happily married and have been for 12 years. I have 2 awesome kids 10 and 8 and I want to feel good and be healthy. I'm sick of being tired and not having energy. It's time for a change and I know that I need support and motivation to reach my goal. I know we can all do this, we just have to be intentional and stick together. We got this!!
  • medinaaarthur
    medinaaarthur Posts: 1 Member
    Looking for motivation too. I am 45 and have about 43 pounds to lose. I have a stressful job and a single mom of twin 13 yr olds. Was really motivated a few months ago, lost 13pounds and gained 4 back. I started counting again a week ago and not doing to well. Trying not to feel depressed.
  • Mama_cc
    Mama_cc Posts: 45 Member
    Howdy Y'all...I'm 47 and need a new year kick in the butt. Just joined a gym for some extra cardio and am back here on MFP and Garmin Connect to tweak my routine. Don't have 40 to lose, but would love to join.

• jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Mama_cc wrote: »
    Howdy Y'all...I'm 47 and need a new year kick in the butt. Just joined a gym for some extra cardio and am back here on MFP and Garmin Connect to tweak my routine. Don't have 40 to lose, but would love to join.

Brilliant intro! Consider the big toe of my right foot swiftly and thoroughly connected with your derrière
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    I was athletic in high school never skinny but always in shape (around 135lbs) Started college...put on the freshman fifteen...it went on from there. In my 20s I really started letting myself go, chalked it up to calling myself "thick" which was acceptable in my community. After having a baby in 2004 I was 191, by 2006 I was 220lbs. I still managed to fit in the misses section and "junior plus" Then one day I had to go shop in Macy's in the basement ...that's where all the Plus size women's clothes were (size 20+) I was devastated. I started to do something about it...fad diets, weight loss challenges at work, Atkins, 6 week bootcamps, 3 day detox...Never get under 190 and I'd soon put the weight back on. I remember one time at work they were ordering company shirts, I said I'd take a men's Large and my boss said I might need to rethink that.
    2008 I started a new journey..joined a gym and started to monitor what I ate. The loss was slow but by 2010 I was 185..the smallest I'd been in years. I kept at it put I was plateauing and not sure why. late 2012 I joined MFP and it was what I needed, understanding my calories. 2013-14 I loss again May 2014 I was 149. I was so excited to be under 150 for the first time since college that I stopped using MFP. By May 2015 I was up almost 10lbs. I figured no big deal, I'll knock it off but by November I was up another 10. I could believe it 20lbs in 18 months. So I'm back, in it for the long hall. Already down to 163. My short term goal is to be 150 by May this year (-13lbs) and down another 10lb before the holiday season then re-evaluate. I plan to turn 40 next Jan in the best shape of my life!
  • Sparkymel
    What a great weight loss @sanfromny! It's so great that you caught it now and got right back on track.
  • Sparkymel
    9w2yyba9tw8z.jpg
  • Sparkymel
    I find myself getting on the scale daily, again. I realize that when we weigh ourselves daily, the scale goes up and down maybe by a half pound sometimes. I have this thinking that if I check it daily, I will stay more focused. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. How often do you guys weigh? Thoughts?