Why do some people feel the need to throw down a barbell?

Options
For you people that do heavy lifting, why do some people feel the need to overload their barbell, then throw it down on the floor after attempting a lift?

I belong to a YMCA and a privately owned gym, and neither would allow that kind of behavior.

But I see it all the time on YouTube videos.

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They ve managed to bend the dumbells at my gym...

Its always the attention seeking numb nutts that have an "invisible" male member on their foreheads
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well it is because of how heavy it is. See, when done lifting a heavy weight the lifter has very little strength left in their grip and to avoid injury or dropping it on something or someone it is easier to just throw it down in a safe place.

If you have enough strength and control left to set it down gently then you must not have lifted hard enough. You can do better than that.

No, it's because they're being an attention-seeking pillock.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For you people that do heavy lifting, why do some people feel the need to overload their barbell, then throw it down on the floor after attempting a lift?

I belong to a YMCA and a privately owned gym, and neither would allow that kind of behavior.

But I see it all the time on YouTube videos.

Have you ever pushed yourself to the absolute limits? Asking this is pretty much the same as "Why do I see videos of triathletes crossing the finish line on hands and knees?"

and you also now know why you're unlikely to see a power lifter at the Y.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My weight coach only let's me drop weights when I break form to avoid injury...as in cases when I'm trying to max and can't properly finish the lift. I dropped my weights once after a good lift and he got pissed at my poor etiquette. He said if I was strong enough to lift it, I was strong enough to set it down.
  • jaedwa1
    jaedwa1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.

- not to mention dangerous and unneccesary after every set. Just posturing in most cases.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    While I don't "throw" a loaded bar down after a lift, I will "drop" it especially on things like heavy power cleans or maxed out deadlifts.

My gym has no problem with people dropping weights in a controlled manner (such as dropping a loaded bar after a deadlift straight down), but throwing them down is a different story as it can be dangerous if people are working out close by.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Depends on the lift. In Oly lifts (and gyms that cater for this) you drop the weight from the top- as someone else mentioned in most cases it's the best way to do it without risking hurting yourself. I can understand how this would not be so great in a commercial gym though, depending on the type of flooring, and the plates they have (bumper plates or normal ones) Most gyms that I've seen just have regular plates and aren't that well catered for Oly lifting, so if I was very into that it would make sense for me to find a gym that does.

In terms of other lifts, I wouldn't really say it should be done on every lift/set - I've seen lots of dumbells at my old gym damaged from people just throwing them down afterwards! :/ However, occasionally you can't help it. It usually comes when you're grip fails, such as at the top of a max lift deadlift. I've done it before although if I can help it, I'll lower it down properly.
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    While I don't "throw" a loaded bar down after a lift, I will "drop" it especially on things like heavy power cleans or maxed out deadlifts.

^^^ This, after my 5th deadlift, there ain't no setting it down gently.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options

^^^ This, after my 5th deadlift, there ain't no setting it down gently.

Exactly! Or after hitting a PR 1RM I'm gonna drop that weight but it's from just above the knees in a controlled straight down motion. Actually *throwing* any weight is stupid and potentially dangerous to people and property.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I forgot this is the Internet. I have to be exact and precise. Yes, throwing down is wrong. Controlled dropping is what I mean. From hear on and forever, when i say throwing, as it relates to loaded barbells, I mean controlled intentional dropping.

There. Everyone happy?

I'm happy!
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You do realize that bumper plates are meant to be dropped? And lifting platforms are built to have certain types of plates dropped on them? Failure is actually a really important part of reaching your maximum in lifting and pretty frequent in Olympic lifting as well as powerlifting. If your gym doesn't have a problem with their most likely droppable equipment being dropped, then just turn your headphones up and mind your own business. Its a gym, not a library.

I have yet to see anyone reach a super heavy weight on a lift and even have the energy left to "throw" the barbell, I'm betting the OP is referring to dropping the bar.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well it is because of how heavy it is. See, when done lifting a heavy weight the lifter has very little strength left in their grip and to avoid injury or dropping it on something or someone it is easier to just throw it down in a safe place.

If you have enough strength and control left to set it down gently then you must not have lifted hard enough. You can do better than that.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was thinking also lol!
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    it does mess up the dumbbells.. loaded barbell i can understand.. dumbbell drops are the dumbbells doing them.

causes the dumbbells to bend. causes them to become loose which causes injuries.

the rubber is a JUST IN CASE.. not on purpose to not damage floors.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Yeah, that is pretty much what I was thinking also lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td0UnkFQp44

The girl at 0:57 is CLEARLY being an "attention-seeking piillock".