Why do some people feel the need to throw down a barbell?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I think you missed the joke.

I guess I did.

The joke was that yoga is all about posing on posture. That was the irony.

Get it?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

This was not easy for me either.
    62879_441383382616030_267221446_n.png

Neato! Which one are you?

To OP: I've dropped my deadlift, it's heavy and noisy. Nobody died.

It's technically not "allowed" at my gym, but it's really not an issue.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.

- not to mention dangerous and unneccesary after every set. Just posturing in most cases.
    Ironic coming from someone whose workout is all posturing.:laugh:

I like what you did there! :laugh: - took me a moment for the penny to drop!

edit: I just read the exchange of posts re: yoga above. I took this in good humour and I'm sure that is how it was meant.

PS: Loving the triple yoga-gymnast posture.

Now, let's get back to throwing barbells please.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I drop when I'm working heavy set deadlifts. I usually only get 5 reps out of my heaviest set, and I am neurotic about my form. I drop every time, reset and pull that back up.

My heavy set is not as much as a man's heavy set, so it doesn't make the same noise. My husband has been yelled at by the gym owner's dad. They haven't yelled at me yet.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I drop when I'm working heavy set deadlifts. I usually only get 5 reps out of my heaviest set, and I am neurotic about my form. I drop every time, reset and pull that back up.

My heavy set is not as much as a man's heavy set, so it doesn't make the same noise. My husband has been yelled at by the gym owner's dad. They haven't yelled at me yet.

Tell them to get bumper plates if it is such an issue.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    So the jist I am getting from this thread is generally you only drop a barbell in for example deadlift when you are working at around max weight and the object of the game is to drop it from around knee height or follow the bar down without resisting the weight as it goes? This makes sense.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So the jist I am getting from this thread is generally you only drop a barbell in for example deadlift when you are working at around max weight and the object of the game is to drop it from around knee height or follow the bar down without resisting the weight as it goes? This makes sense.

Finish position of a deadlift would be closer to hip crease height...

...and then there's snatch...

...and jerk...

...and for safety reasons when it would be more dangerous not to bail.

But still, yes, "dropping" should still be a controlled/guided drop...(although at a certain weight, the barbell is going to rest very near where it lands).

(Fortunately for me, my current gym is entirely rubberized flooring w/ full bumper plates. Ironically, one of the more dangerous drops is w/ just a pair of tens on the bar because that thing can come to life and sprout legs if you drop it just right...or just wrong, I guess.)
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    cuz they're heavy
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    ...and jerk...
    But still, yes, "dropping" should still be a controlled/guided drop...(although at a certain weight, the barbell is going to rest very near where it lands).

(Fortunately for me, my current gym is entirely rubberized flooring w/ full bumper plates. Ironically, one of the more dangerous drops is w/ just a pair of tens on the bar because that thing can come to life and sprout legs if you drop it just right...or just wrong, I guess.)
    Thank you. This is what puts me off going to the gyms in my neighbourhood - all fancy mirrors, carpeting and piped music. Lifting heavy and having to drop weights would be frowned upon and I would be told to lift within my capabilities.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ...and jerk...

Thank you. This is what puts me off going to the gyms in my neighbourhood - all fancy mirrors, carpeting and piped music. Lifting heavy and having to drop weights would be frowned upon and I would be told to lift within my capabilities.

I disagree about the part that needing to drop a barbell = not lifting "within your capabilities"...

...but acknowledge that it is, in fact, what you would be told at many gyms...

...(especially since some gyms just aren't equipped for certain kinds of lifting).
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to stfu and stop dropping weights at my gym. They disturb me when I'm on my recumbent bike whilst reading Finnegan's Wake.

Notsrs.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just FYI powerlifting comps still require you to lower the bar "in a controlled manner" after completing the lift. Still when you are lifting big weights they are obviously going to make some noise even when lowered slowly. And at the other end of the spectrum, it is called a deadLIFT not a deadlower.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.

- not to mention dangerous and unneccesary after every set. Just posturing in most cases.

Why are you picking on Carlo? Carlos? He might have different goals than you. Yoga planches are not that easy.

I think you missed the joke.

O5GvQdv.gif
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Neato! Which one are you?

To OP: I've dropped my deadlift, it's heavy and noisy. Nobody died.

It's technically not "allowed" at my gym, but it's really not an issue.

Ooh, that is cool. Wondering which one you are as well, it looks cool!

I drop my weights, but I've got long arms so they don't make much noise.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Why are you picking on Carlo? Carlos? He might have different goals than you. Yoga planches are not that easy.
    one-arm-planche.jpg

cf010062-web.jpg

laura-look-at-you.gif
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    "throw down" is a rather grandiose term for dropping
    sometimes it happens and if you're not in PF nobody should care

it's a gym ffs, there's some huffin and banging but that doesn't mean anything
    keep calm ladies, it's just some iron
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I like what you did there! :laugh: - took me a moment for the penny to drop!

edit: I just read the exchange of posts re: yoga above. I took this in good humour and I'm sure that is how it was meant.
    Yep, hence the laughing smiley. :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The thing with deadlifts is that when you are pulling the bar up, it is completely natural to keep your back and the other muscles involved as tight as possible. In order to lower the bar slowly, you are starting to release/relax muscles, but you DO NOT want to relax the ones that are keeping your back in a non-rounded, safe position.

It's rather complicated and seems like it would be easy to screw up and accidentally expose yourself to a crippling back injury. I drop mine. And I work out at home, often alone, so there's also nobody to 'impress' with my banging, crashing, and grunting.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    You do realize that bumper plates are meant to be dropped? And lifting platforms are built to have certain types of plates dropped on them? Failure is actually a really important part of reaching your maximum in lifting and pretty frequent in Olympic lifting as well as powerlifting. If your gym doesn't have a problem with their most likely droppable equipment being dropped, then just turn your headphones up and mind your own business. Its a gym, not a library.

I have yet to see anyone reach a super heavy weight on a lift and even have the energy left to "throw" the barbell, I'm betting the OP is referring to dropping the bar.
    Problem is, the people who work out at a "McGym" like Planet Fitness have no idea what it means to lift heavy - nor what Oly or Power lifts are. Lifting anything heavy or making any noise indicating that you're actually exerting yourself (e.g., grunting) will result in some sensitive soul hitting the "lunk alarm". Thus, they see a YouTube video of somebody Oly/Power lifting (probably with bumper plates and an appropriate floor surface) and have no idea what it's all about. Admittedly, it sounds a lot different than the hissing of hamster wheels (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and pink, rubber-coated 5 lb. dumbbells being placed gently back in the racks after an "exhausting" set of 40 reps of bosu ball tricep kickbacks.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You do realize that bumper plates are meant to be dropped? And lifting platforms are built to have certain types of plates dropped on them? Failure is actually a really important part of reaching your maximum in lifting and pretty frequent in Olympic lifting as well as powerlifting. If your gym doesn't have a problem with their most likely droppable equipment being dropped, then just turn your headphones up and mind your own business. Its a gym, not a library.

I have yet to see anyone reach a super heavy weight on a lift and even have the energy left to "throw" the barbell, I'm betting the OP is referring to dropping the bar.
    Problem is, the people who work out at a "McGym" like Planet Fitness have no idea what it means to lift heavy - nor what Oly or Power lifts are. Lifting anything heavy or making any noise indicating that you're actually exerting yourself (e.g., grunting) will result in some sensitive soul hitting the "lunk alarm". Thus, they see a YouTube video of somebody Oly/Power lifting (probably with bumper plates and an appropriate floor surface) and have no idea what it's all about. Admittedly, it sounds a lot different than the hissing of hamster wheels (treadmills, ellipticals, etc.) and pink, rubber-coated 5 lb. dumbbells being placed gently back in the racks after an "exhausting" set of 40 reps of bosu ball tricep kickbacks.

hahahaha. In for lifters v. nonlifters.