Why do some people feel the need to throw down a barbell?

Options

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They ve managed to bend the dumbells at my gym...

Its always the attention seeking numb nutts that have an "invisible" male member on their foreheads

Lol. Classic ignorance.

Certain exercises require it because you can hurt your back or shoulders. Certain Olympic lifts, such as the snatch, require that when you're finished, you throw down the weight. There's no proper way to finish that lift nicely. If you do, you break form and can get hurt. There are many gyms that allow throwing the weight because its proper.

far from ignorant, and only the kettle calling the pot black would assume the rare example and make a meal of it. ...catch em on you re legs !
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Whether or not people realize it, this is not an argument about gym etiquette but about globo gyms that only stock generic equipment vs. gyms that feature higher end, specialized equipment. Globo gyms typically don't have bumper plates or drop flooring. They appeal to a different type of clientele and their rules typically prohibit any sort of lifting that necessitates the possibility of having to drop or throw your weights. But people need to learn that it's a totally different game when they walk into a gym that is equipped with bumper plates and drop flooring. Different class of clientele with typically more hardcore workout regimens. It is acceptable there.

The only time it is unacceptable is when somebody walks into a globo gym that only has iron plates and conventional flooring and started throwing up C&Js and snatches. More than likely then, the person will be asked to leave by gym staff. I've seen it done. My very last day at the gym before I cancelled my membership, which was at a Gold's, I saw a guy start doing C&J's on the carpet with iron plates. He got 2 sets in before the manager walked up to him and basically told him to leave.

That being said, with dumbbells it's a different matter entirely. The "safety" aspect of simply being able to drop dumbbells when you fail vs. having a bar come crashing down on your chest is one of the main reasons for using dumbbells. Even these globo gyms accept it in these cases typically. That is a necessary evil. I've done it myself and I'll do it again if I have to.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Karma?
    160729_o.gif

(Although he is on a platform and using bumper plates)
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    I used to be judgmental too. Yet, when I begun lifting heavier weights I found myself making a little noise too. Especially with OHP with dumbbells, it is almost impossible not to grunt or breath a little harder...and trust me I try not to! Dropping weights doesn't bother me today as much. Now, talking on your cell phone while blocking the way to a machine, or curling in the squats rack.......
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    And are they lifting at >70%1RM EVERY DAMNED TIME?

Going that heavy isn't an everyday workout kind of thing, and it CERTAINLY isn't an everyday workout kind of thing for people who aren't lifting at that level.

LOL, 70% isn't an every day workout kind of thing? My work set weights are 80% 1RM and above usually for most lifts... so not sure where you got that info.

I'm probably an average guy at the gym... I also do power cleans and snatch to develop power. Using the correct equipment (bumper plates, half decent bar, platform) or even just some bumpers, it's perfectly fine to drop em. In a controlled drop where you keep your hands on it until it's close to the ground, it can even look like you're "throwing" the weight at the ground but as long as you aren't damaging equipment it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, change gyms. If you're launching it horizontally away from your body, then you're just being an *kitten*.

This is like the topic where people ***** about lifters "sitting on the bench" for 3 minutes between sets because they don't understand rest time requirements.

70% 1rm is a volume/warmup set LOL. They must be trolling.

80% for sets of up to 6
    or 90% for sets of 3

For the record, I -always- drop the last deadlift in my work set.
    And for all other sets, I only control the weight to my knees.
    It's not worth the risk to my lower back.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    this was the most hilarious thread ever....."Im the lifty lifter of the best lifter and I know how to drop better than you"...wth
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for those who answered my question.

I lift heavy - for me - and progressively get heavier, but since I often lift alone, too, I err on the side of caution. I'm still happy as a pig in poop with my results.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    So I'm in the process of switching from the YMCA to a U.S. Navy gym with a full crossfit system installed. The entire floor is rubberized. There's a monstrous jungle gym with ropes and pull up bars and every plate is a bumper plate. This is one of the places the local seals/UDT folks train. It's exceptionally common to see some guy (or girl) whip out a clean and jerk or a bunch of OHP lifts and drop the weight from full height without even looking at it, then sprint right over to the pullups and whip out like ten, then do some ring work, and run back over to his bar and throw the weight up a few more times to do it all again. It's designed to work that way.

Maybe OP and all the haters should go to a gym like this instead of the super sanitized YMCA's that don't even allow chalk?
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for the lolz.
    Not really, but I'm actually fascinated by both sides of this argument.

One the one side I'm fascinated by the fact that now 90% of the world is doing the classic weightlifting lifts, yet I rarely see this in gyms. Would love it if it were true.

On the other side, the ignorance of bumper plates and platforms from a few people is a bit sad.

Just to add a random fact, the rules of weightlifting, as set out by the IWF require the bar to be returned to the platform under control (not dropped intentionally or accidentally) and the grip can't be released until it passes the waist.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for ignorance...

...and proper equipment.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In...

...for ignorance...

...and proper equipment.

tumblr_mato31UDmz1rw3pck.gif
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    In...

...for ignorance...

...and proper equipment.

The ones in my hands probably weigh like... a pound. So if I can throw one and hit someone in the head I earn points. :)
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    hmmm...no barbell, so...
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    In...

...for ignorance...

...and proper equipment.

UGOBF.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.

- not to mention dangerous and unneccesary after every set. Just posturing in most cases.
    Ironic coming from someone whose workout is all posturing.:laugh:
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    It is true. Of course Olympiads are not weak, that just a silly statement. Throwing at a competition is one thing...throwing in a crowded gym, is just poor manners.

- not to mention dangerous and unneccesary after every set. Just posturing in most cases.

Why are you picking on Carlo? Carlos? He might have different goals than you. Yoga planches are not that easy.
    one-arm-planche.jpg

cf010062-web.jpg

This was not easy for me either.
    62879_441383382616030_267221446_n.png
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Why are you picking on Carlo? Carlos? He might have different goals than you. Yoga planches are not that easy.

I think you missed the joke.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

please don't take this the wrong way, it's just my idea of "fit" might differ from yours. I like to do yoga, and swim, play on jungle gyms ,and sail, dance and so on .I'm not weak.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    I think you missed the joke.

I guess I did.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

please don't take this the wrong way, it's just my idea of "fit" might differ from yours. I like to do yoga, and swim, play on jungle gyms ,and sail, dance and so on .I'm not weak.

This wasn't about you or yoga or saying that those who choose other means of fitness are lesser. This was about throwing/dropping barbells.