Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Options

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Is there a universal meaning for "low carb"?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

No.
    Most will accept low carb as being below 100 to 150 g of sugar per day.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

Just because the frosting sticks to the roof of your mouth doesn't mean the thread is over.

You're eating the wrong PB frosting if it sticks to the roof of your mouth.

Also, it's the wrong recipe if the frosting isn't so awesome and satisfying that after eating it off of the top of the cupcake (which must be chocolate) you actually have a bare instant where you think, "do I really need to eat the cake?" before eating it anyway.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Yes. If you ate 350 grams on Monday, 349 is low carb on Tuesday. OR MFP low carb is generally(loose word/non descript) 150 grams, lower is 100, really low is 50(hey Keto), and why am I eating any carbs <20. If you look at low carb diets they tend to miss replacing it with Protein since more people under consume Protein. Hope this helps. This message brought to you by the guy with 5 cupcakes in his freezer.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Yes. If you ate 350 grams on Monday, 349 is low carb on Tuesday. OR MFP low carb is generally(loose word/non descript) 150 grams, lower is 100, really low is 50(hey Keto), and why am I eating any carbs <20. If you look at low carb diets they tend to miss replacing it with Protein since more people under consume Protein. Hope this helps. This message brought to you by the guy with 5 cupcakes in his freezer.

It should be brought to you by the guy with 3 cupcakes in his freezer now that he went to the trouble to get the cupcakes out of his freezer and line them up so pretty and take a picture for his MFP community. The least the guy could do would be eat some of those cupcakes and tell us how they taste.

384?cb=20101205003550
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

#WhyNotBoth

http://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-butter-cream-cheese-frosting-88800

^These.... I feel like something happened just now that opened up the heavens and let the light and strange invisible chorus shine through.

Ok, stupid question, but what's the vegan substitution for cream cheese? I could see tofu having a similar texture, but replicating the flavor I would think would be rather difficult.

Vegan cream cheese. There are a couple of brands, but Daiya is my favorite.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

#WhyNotBoth

^These.... I feel like something happened just now that opened up the heavens and let the light and strange invisible chorus shine through.

Ok, stupid question, but what's the vegan substitution for cream cheese? I could see tofu having a similar texture, but replicating the flavor I would think would be rather difficult.

Daiya is great, although I don't mind Tofutti either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

#WhyNotBoth

Daiya is great, although I don't mind Tofutti either.

You'll never see me turn Tofutti down. Especially if it was turned into that peanut butter frosting.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

No.

I'm assuming you meant carbs, not sugar. Most people can stay under 150g of sugar a day...
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

No.

I'm assuming you meant carbs, not sugar. Most people can stay under 150g of sugar a day...

Is that a new profile pic?! Gorgeous!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

No.

Is that a new profile pic?! Gorgeous!

Ha, thanks! I figured if I was going to pay someone to do my makeup I should at least document it...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

I may have to start a thread about getting protein in my diet. Thanks for the answer.

No.

Thank you :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Aside for the mentioned pros and cons of low carb it is also significantly harder to perform as either and endurance athlete or bodybuilding / strength development. It isn't impossible - but the space and time needed to make adjustments is rather fine.

It is an excellent method to reach fast weight loss to meet a specific weight goal (water weight loss, not fat loss goal) over a short time - but without very careful followup - it also likely to result in a rebound.

This is spoken from the perspective of an athlete/builder using low carb for body comp and isn't really that relevant to general population seeking a better way of eating long term, is it?

I'm a 50 year old (almost) amateur athlete (lol, well, once was) in the general pop. I assume that quite a few people here are runners, cyclists, etc. or trying to build muscle in the gym. It may not be ideal in those cases - even if you are only a weekend grocery racer. If we are talking about a better way of eating long term, I'd assume that we also look into a global perspective that includes enjoyable physical activity. But if it isn't your thing, ignore that.

In terms of long term eating - low carb might work for some, more often than not it requires a lot of adjustments to the eating environment. That isn't necessarily a con but an observation.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

It should be brought to you by the guy with 3 cupcakes in his freezer now that he went to the trouble to get the cupcakes out of his freezer and line them up so pretty and take a picture for his MFP community. The least the guy could do would be eat some of those cupcakes and tell us how they taste.

384?cb=20101205003550

Oh, the answer I give you is both reality and an excuse. Blood work early AM tomorrow...I need to start fasting. Yeah!

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I think I need some red velvet cake. As fantastic as the food is here, I miss that.
    On the other hand I'm going to stop at dalloyau tomorrow, when I visit my daughter. Macaroons for me.

http://www.dalloyau.fr/macarons.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Point was that eating habits of people don't change much unless intentionally changed. If one eats within their calorie range with the variety of food they like and continue it for life, chances are their weight won't fluctuate as much either.

Theoretically yes. Put in practice, very often not. Above, I listed the foodz I very much like, and have eaten all my life. I don't moderate those foodz successfully - never have and never will. And I know I'm not alone in this.

Most people don't gain weight eating too many vegetables and fresh fruits. Something like chicken is easily overeaten when breaded and fried or drenched in a corn starchy gravy laden with sugar and soy sauce as in a Chinese restaurant. If that same chicken was not breaded or fried, not dressed with starchy gravy, not stuffed with Stouffer's and not soaked in a sugar sweetened marinade, the notion of overeating it would be far less attractive.

But I know you're not in my camp. So we'll agree to disagree.

Well, I agree that if all you allow yourself are foods that don't taste good, the notion of overeating would be far less attractive.

The problem with your argument is that there's plenty of highly palatable ways to eat chicken that are not breaded or fried, not dressed with starchy gravy, not stuffed with Stouffer's and not soaked in a sugar sweetened marinade. If it's tasty, some people will overeat it.

I'm not sure if you thought I was saying eating food that doesn't taste good is what enables one to not overeat food. I wasn't though.

Taking the chicken example. Here's a practically universally tasty way of eating chicken that doesn't involve marinade, breading, frying, gravy or stuffing.

One Kosher whole chicken leg with skin, placed in a small baking dish with a half a cup of water at the bottom. Bake without covering at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until skin is crispy, dark meat inside is tender and moist and the bottom of the baking contains a nice oily juice to pour over the chicken and accompanying vegetables, seasoned perfectly by the Kosher salting process. Compatible with Paleo, low carb and Keto. Delicious, but usually not a stuff-your-face-with-it-food-until-you-need-a-nap-or-an-ambulance, like Popeyes, Kentucky Fried, chicken fingers or Szechuan chicken.

And yes, yes, I know MFP is full of sane and moderated former chubs who luv to science and never did this in the first place. They got fat eating too many mangos, asparagus salad and oat porridge. But for the rest of us... ;)

True for me. I'll eat 4 ounces of roast chicken, enjoy every bite, and feel no urge for seconds. (I will have also had a starchy and non-starchy veg with this meal.)

But General Tso's Chicken is indeed another story. (I will also have had a starchy and non-starchy veg with this.)

I made this http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306894/general-tso-chicken-236-calories/p1 the other night and my OH complained several times that it was not sweet enough.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Cons would be no yummy carbs

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy barely any carbs.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Barely any carbs isn't yummy to me.

Fixed it for you

Ditto, I can't stand low carb baked goods. The bread doesn't brown and any low carb baked good is pretty much like eating mud and feels like a rock in my stomach. :confounded:

My carrot cake wasn't a low carb recipe. I just didn't eat much and scraped off some of the cream cheese icing - my mother makes it quite sweet.

Ahh ok I'm feeling better now.

I was...up until the part about scraping off some of the cream cheese icing.

What is the point of carrot cake if not all the cream cheese frosting?

When I was the Official Birthday Baker at work I had two coworkers who did not like the cream cheese frosting and so I made them carrot cake cupcakes without it.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    33m4v2v.jpg

From the freezer.....a red velvet, chocolate/vanilla, one caramel machhiatto, chocolate chocolate chip, and #5 is a mystery......

Oh I need these recipes

Seriously, typed a long reply and it posted the first 5 words? Like typing on a phone while working out is easy?

Take 2: my kids would love if I made any of those. Speaking of my kids if anyone has an excellent carrot cake muffin recipe please share. If I substitute applesauce for the oil I'm sure I can justify it as a good in-competition snack

Regular carrot cake batter works fine in muffin tins. You just cook for less time. I replace half the oil with applesauce.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Cons would be no yummy carbs

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy barely any carbs.

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Barely any carbs isn't yummy to me.

Fixed it for you

Ditto, I can't stand low carb baked goods. The bread doesn't brown and any low carb baked good is pretty much like eating mud and feels like a rock in my stomach. :confounded:

My carrot cake wasn't a low carb recipe. I just didn't eat much and scraped off some of the cream cheese icing - my mother makes it quite sweet.

Ahh ok I'm feeling better now.

I was...up until the part about scraping off some of the cream cheese icing.

What is the point of carrot cake if not all the cream cheese frosting?

Some people don't like cream cheese frosting?

I don't need that kind of negativity in my life

+1. The cream cheese frosting is the only reason to eat a carrot cake, IMO. Red Velvet Cake is a much better vehicle for cream cheese frosting...

Maybe I just haven't had a good one, but I don't understand the big deal over red velvet cake. The one I've truly enjoyed beyond the fact that it's cake is from Nothing Bundt Cakes.

Did you have real red velvet cake? The one made with beet?

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016333-beet-red-velvet-cake

This might be the only way to get me to eat beets...and red velvet cake, which I avoid when it contains food dye.

14REDVELVET1-articleLarge.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options