Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...but find it frustrating when people start claiming that eating carbs is somehow not healthy.

Carbs are unhealthy.

source?
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Low carb is NOT healthier than other diets. Sure, it's possible to do LCHF in a healthy manner (although sadly I don't see this pushed as much). It's also easy to modify your diet to be more healthful (if necessary) without cutting carbs. I'm all for LCHF if someone finds it a more enjoyable or pleasant way to achieve a deficit or maintain weight, for them, but find it frustrating when people start claiming that eating carbs is somehow not healthy. It is certainly possible for someone to make poor choices as to the types and amounts of certain foods containing carbs (and often fat too) in their diets, just as it's possible to make poor choices when eating LCHF.

I agree with you...low carb is not necessarily healthier. People can choose poor carb choices...poor food choices regardless of diet. For me personally, going low carb meant choosing more veggies (which are carbs) and low glycemic fruit (over the processed stuff) combined with adequate fat and proten, because diabetes is in my family history. I want to avoid that in my future as much as possible. So LCHF may also be a way toward better health (and not necessarily because it's more enjoyable or for weight loss). That's why I did it primarily. But everyone needs to choose what makes sense for them.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    ...but find it frustrating when people start claiming that eating carbs is somehow not healthy.

Carbs are unhealthy.

@Nage3000, I understand your enthusiasm and I think it's great that keto works so well and is sustainable for you, but making blanket statements like this is why most people here think we all wear tinfoil hats...
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

Carbs are unhealthy.

Carrots aren't healthy? Brussels sprouts? Asparagus? Strawberries? Blueberries? Cherries?

Sounds legit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Carbs are unhealthy.

Carrots aren't healthy? Brussels sprouts? Asparagus? Strawberries? Blueberries? Cherries?

Sounds legit.

am I going to die, because carbs?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    I guess American? It's the one in the old Wilson books. Essentially it's powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.

And butter, I assume? Yep, that's American buttercream.

ETA: removing earlier quotes to fix botched tags - plus this quote is the only relevant bit anyway.

I'm assuming butter is somehow involved in buttercream. ;)

Just looked at the recipe and yeah, there's butter involved. ^_^ So it's never a nice bright white, but whenever I make it, people don't seem to care about that. XD

Carbs are unhealthy.

How are carbs unhealthy? I can understand if you have a medical reason for it, but 99% of the human population has no medical issue with carbs, so how are they unhealthy?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Low carb is NOT healthier than other diets. Sure, it's possible to do LCHF in a healthy manner (although sadly I don't see this pushed as much). It's also easy to modify your diet to be more healthful (if necessary) without cutting carbs. I'm all for LCHF if someone finds it a more enjoyable or pleasant way to achieve a deficit or maintain weight, for them, but find it frustrating when people start claiming that eating carbs is somehow not healthy. It is certainly possible for someone to make poor choices as to the types and amounts of certain foods containing carbs (and often fat too) in their diets, just as it's possible to make poor choices when eating LCHF.

I agree with you...low carb is not necessarily healthier. People can choose poor carb choices...poor food choices regardless of diet. For me personally, going low carb meant choosing more veggies (which are carbs) and low glycemic fruit (over the processed stuff) combined with adequate fat and proten, because diabetes is in my family history.

Yeah, I understand that many people do improve their diets when going low carb, and like I said I respect that it can be the right choice. I just always find it odd (although I believe it) when people say they started eating more vegetables when they went low carb since of course (as you said) vegetables are carbs and there's no reason why someone couldn't eat a lot of them when eating 50% carb. Same with choosing to focus on cooking from whole foods vs. pre-made stuff. (Both things I try to do.)

Lots of the "carbs" people seem to over-indulge in are about half fat in reality, so it's a personal pet peeve that they get dismissed as "carbs" while many of the highest carb foods (by %) are full of micronutrients. (This is not intended to be an argument with you!)

Healthful traditional diets are all over the place in terms of macro ratios, but on the whole include lots of plants.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Low carb a fad? I don't think so. Quite a few people naturally gravitate towards all types of eating balances. Though I don't lean towards low carb, I've never noticed any difference in energy levels when just chance puts my carbs down lower than usual by a chunk.

I'm not sure if I've ever approached keto, did Atkins for a while back in the day and missed my starchy and sugary carbs too much to deal with it for long. But I do think that evidence shows the ratios of carbs, fats, and even protein are all things that can vary quite a lot and allow great health and fitness. So in that respect, do what works for you, and just be aware of any potential shortcomings with your way of eating.

And that might include knowing that if you steal my bread, I could club you with a ham or steak. I like my carbs too much!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I guess American? It's the one in the old Wilson books. Essentially it's powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.

ETA: removing earlier quotes to fix botched tags - plus this quote is the only relevant bit anyway.

Well, so would I (obviously) but what she listed is also a legitimate set of ingredients for a different type of frosting. It's not uncommon for a term in cooking to get hijacked to refer to a completely different recipe so I'm just making sure.

When I was growing up, what the local bakeries called 'buttercream' was made with shortening, sugar and flavoring. For the temperature stability, you see. To me, it was disgusting.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Well, so would I (obviously) but what she listed is also a legitimate set of ingredients for a different type of frosting. It's not uncommon for a term in cooking to get hijacked to refer to a completely different recipe so I'm just making sure.

When I was growing up, what the local bakeries called 'buttercream' was made with shortening, sugar and flavoring. For the temperature stability, you see. To me, it was disgusting.

Ugh, using shortening in place of butter could cause a riot in some areas.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For those reasons, and because I care about my health, I've chosen to go low carb, which means, cutting way down on processed stuff, sugars, flours and the like. But I didn't stop there, I've chosen to go Low Carb High Fat (this means healthy fats and not a GO pass for all the bacon you can eat), for my own personal situation and because it's HEALTHY, while still aiding weight loss. I would NOT have even thought to do this in my 20s, 30s or 40s.

This is a bit of a blanket statement. For many people, a LCHF diet is healthier for them than other diets are.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For those reasons, and because I care about my health, I've chosen to go low carb, which means, cutting way down on processed stuff, sugars, flours and the like. But I didn't stop there, I've chosen to go Low Carb High Fat (this means healthy fats and not a GO pass for all the bacon you can eat), for my own personal situation and because it's HEALTHY, while still aiding weight loss. I would NOT have even thought to do this in my 20s, 30s or 40s.

This is a bit of a blanket statement. For many people, any LCHF diet is healthier for them than other diets are.

fixed it for you

• nvmomketo
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This is a bit of a blanket statement. For many people, any LCHF diet is healthier for them than other diets are.

fixed it for you

You really didn't. Are you really that completely anti-LCHF that you won't admit or believe that LCHF diets are healthier for some people? I didn't say all. I said some people. Even that statement is too much for you?
  • ndj1979
    Options

fixed it for you

You really didn't. Are you really that completely anti-LCHF that you won't admit or believe that LCHF diets are healthier for some people? I didn't say all. I said some people. Even that statement is too much for you?

LCHF is not healthier then any way of eating that hits micros and macros….

• ndj1979
    Options
    sorry, LCHF is not healthier than any other way of eating that hits micros and macros….
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    sorry, LCHF is not healthier than any other way of eating that hits micros and macros….

I do hit my micros and macros though.

I had a piece of cake the other day. It was small but had sugar. I also had a higher carb meal (for me). Within 24 hours my autoimmune arthritis was acting up rather badly (first time in past 6 months when I avoided sugary cake) and my blood glucose was up for over 24 hours...

So in your opinion, LCHF is still not healthier for some people with health issues like that?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I had a piece of cake the other day. It was small but had sugar. I also had a higher carb meal (for me). Within 24 hours my autoimmune arthritis was acting up rather badly (first time in past 6 months when I avoided sugary cake) and my blood glucose was up for over 24 hours...

So in your opinion, LCHF is still not healthier for some people with health issues like that?

its not healthier than any other way of eating that hits micros and macros, period.

I don't believe we were discussing medical conditions in this thread.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

its not healthier than any other way of eating that hits micros and macros, period.

Medical conditions determine a large part of some people's health.
  • ndj1979
    Options

no where in this thread were they mentioned.

If one has a medical reason to do LCHF then sure, do it…however, that does not make it healthier than any other way of eating.

• nvmomketo
    Options

no where in this thread were they mentioned.

If one has a medical reason to do LCHF then sure, do it…however, that does not make it healthier than any other way of eating.

Thanks doctor.