Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

18911131429

Replies

  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,359 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Point was that eating habits of people don't change much unless intentionally changed. If one eats within their calorie range with the variety of food they like and continue it for life, chances are their weight won't fluctuate as much either.

    Theoretically yes. Put in practice, very often not. Above, I listed the foodz I very much like, and have eaten all my life. I don't moderate those foodz successfully - never have and never will. And I know I'm not alone in this.

    Most people don't gain weight eating too many vegetables and fresh fruits. Something like chicken is easily overeaten when breaded and fried or drenched in a corn starchy gravy laden with sugar and soy sauce as in a Chinese restaurant. If that same chicken was not breaded or fried, not dressed with starchy gravy, not stuffed with Stouffer's and not soaked in a sugar sweetened marinade, the notion of overeating it would be far less attractive.

    But I know you're not in my camp. So we'll agree to disagree.

    Well, I agree that if all you allow yourself are foods that don't taste good, the notion of overeating would be far less attractive.

    The problem with your argument is that there's plenty of highly palatable ways to eat chicken that are not breaded or fried, not dressed with starchy gravy, not stuffed with Stouffer's and not soaked in a sugar sweetened marinade. If it's tasty, some people will overeat it.

    I'm not sure if you thought I was saying eating food that doesn't taste good is what enables one to not overeat food. I wasn't though.

    Taking the chicken example. Here's a practically universally tasty way of eating chicken that doesn't involve marinade, breading, frying, gravy or stuffing.

    One Kosher whole chicken leg with skin, placed in a small baking dish with a half a cup of water at the bottom. Bake without covering at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until skin is crispy, dark meat inside is tender and moist and the bottom of the baking contains a nice oily juice to pour over the chicken and accompanying vegetables, seasoned perfectly by the Kosher salting process. Compatible with Paleo, low carb and Keto. Delicious, but usually not a stuff-your-face-with-it-food-until-you-need-a-nap-or-an-ambulance, like Popeyes, Kentucky Fried, chicken fingers or Szechuan chicken.

    And yes, yes, I know MFP is full of sane and moderated former chubs who luv to science and never did this in the first place. They got fat eating too many mangos, asparagus salad and oat porridge. But for the rest of us... ;)

    True for me. I'll eat 4 ounces of roast chicken, enjoy every bite, and feel no urge for seconds. (I will have also had a starchy and non-starchy veg with this meal.)

    But General Tso's Chicken is indeed another story. (I will also have had a starchy and non-starchy veg with this.)

    I made this http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10306894/general-tso-chicken-236-calories/p1 the other night and my OH complained several times that it was not sweet enough.

    Seriously? That recipe is awesome! My fiance loved it, although he was surprised to find out it was supposed to be General Tso's chicken; I'll take it as a win...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,210 Member
    Macarons-macaroon-26887285-384-462.jpg
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I am on page two of responses and I'll be honest, I am not gonna read anymore. The next 5 pages will probably be more of the same. Sorry, not sorry.

    Okay, here's the situation. (if you are not humming...'my parents went away for a week's vacation'....I don't wanna know you).

    Is low carb a fad? No. Can it be? Heck yeah.

    I lost the 60 pounds in my ticker using a low carb approach. As a vegetarian, I do it a little bit differently than most and looked to have a net carb load of about 50 to sometimes topping out at 80. I was able to maintain a low level of ketosis that way. (I only say this because it was stated by Nage that it would be better to hear from those who did a keto diet and not the anti low carb folk). So...there it is.

    I also have a FitBit and spend my weekends eating lots of food and sometimes....beer (not often though, not my jam). I do that because I tend to run my little booty off during the weekends and therefore get to eat ALL THE FOOD. I am in maintenance now and no longer eat a low carb lifestyle because I no longer find it necessary.

    I liked low carb. I liked how I felt a surge in energy. I liked how I had a decrease in hunger. It was the easiest way for me to maintain a caloric deficit. It worked for me. I was able to be active, not be hungry, move more and eat less. I am also a runner and as I was approaching and then headed into maintenance, I was also training for my first half marathon. I was so glad I hit goal when I did because moving away from low carb is what was best when my weekend training miles was hitting 15 to 20 miles. I was able to run about 6 to 8 miles on low carb eating, but once I went beyond that level...I would hit the wall. I went to fueling my day and my workouts with much more carbs and so happy as a result.

    So, low carb does work, but when I think it gets to be a fad is when people claim that it has magical properties that it does not have. I think it becomes a fad when people say or believe that it is necessary to lose weight. It is a fad when my co-worker says, "I can eat nothing and one slice of bread and not be able to lose weight because your body won't lose if you eat carbs." NO CO-WORKER. No. Or when hearing that low carb is for those who are stronger or have a higher level of compliance than the average simple dieter and therefore it is the best way of the most dedicated. That isn't my experience. I did low carb because it was the EASIEST way for me to maintain a deficit.

    It's not a fad, but it's also not necessary. It is one way of many to do CICO and maintain a deficit. Find what way is the easiest and do that. DO THE EASIEST. That's my wordy, but simple advice. Take it for the 2 cents it is worth.

    (If the past 5 pages already stated this and I am just being redundant...my apologies).

    <3 + of course cupcakes ;)

  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Yes and know. It can work just like a diet of all McDonalds could work. It's just that cutting out carbs makes it alot easier for some people to create a deficit. If I went to mcdonalds 3 times a day and ate 3 500 calorie meals i would still lose weight.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,589 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Peanut butter frosting

    /thread
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Peanut butter frosting

    /thread

    #WhyNotBoth

    http://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-butter-cream-cheese-frosting-88800

    ^These.... I feel like something happened just now that opened up the heavens and let the light and strange invisible chorus shine through.

    Ok, stupid question, but what's the vegan substitution for cream cheese? I could see tofu having a similar texture, but replicating the flavor I would think would be rather difficult.

    I'm guessing something to do with cauliflower. ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Macarons-macaroon-26887285-384-462.jpg

    Macaroons?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,210 Member
    edited January 2016
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Macarons-macaroon-26887285-384-462.jpg

    Macaroons?

    Oui, macaroons. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Macarons-macaroon-26887285-384-462.jpg

    Macaroons?

    Oui, macaroons. :)

    C'est tres bon.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,210 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Macarons-macaroon-26887285-384-462.jpg

    Macaroons?

    Oui, macaroons. :)

    C'est tres bon.

    They are, I'm heading into Paris tomorrow to spend some time with my daughter. We'll hit Laduree like locusts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Macarons-macaroon-26887285-384-462.jpg

    Macaroons?

    Oui, macaroons. :)

    C'est tres bon.

    They are, I'm heading into Paris tomorrow to spend some time with my daughter. We'll hit Laduree like locusts.

    Have fun :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,020 Member
    edited January 2016
    auddii wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Is there a universal meaning for "low carb"?

    No.
    Most will accept low carb as being below 100 to 150 g of sugar per day.

    I'm assuming you meant carbs, not sugar. Most people can stay under 150g of sugar a day...

    Oops, yes. Thank you. Under 100-150 g of carbs per day is low carb. Sorry about that @lorib642

    Edited again for bad typing.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,854 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    Some people don't like cream cheese frosting? I personally don't, if I make a cake, I put buttercream frosting on it.

    Go on... :)

    If you've never had it, go look up the recipe. It's what my mom always put on, and while other frostings are good, buttercream is my absolute favorite.

    White chocolate pound cake with buttercream frosting............damn, now I want to make some! XD[/quote]

    Psst - which type of buttercream? American, French, Swiss, Italian, Flour, German? Those last two types I've not had the opportunity to made yet, but I have tried them :smile: [/quote]

    I guess American? It's the one in the old Wilson books. Essentially it's powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    It works for some people, especially people with PCOS or severe epilepsy, but you should be choosing a diet you can maintain for life. I personally think reducing "white" carbs and focusing on whole grains is good for your overall health and makes it easier to lose weight by keeping you fuller, but I really don't like to follow any diet that completely or nearly completely cuts out any major food groups. Many carbs are nutrient rich, and are more affordable and accesible for people from lower incomes. From a wider perspective, I dont believe the world population can be sustained without grains, grains are good for food stability.
    Maybe that was a bit off topic but basically, carbs are not evil.
    You can lose weight with them, you'll be healthier is you choose whole grains, youre more likely to maintain your diet for life if it doesnt cut out any major food groups.

    This doesn't apply to me - white carbs keep me very full for a long time. I'm tired of seeing 'white carbs' put in the corner all the time. Over it. And why will I "be healthier" if I choose whole grains?

    Hey, if they keep you full, great. Whatever works for you. Many people find whole grains help with satiety because of the fiber. Some people choose to get fiber from other sources instead.*shrugs*. I mention health because whole grains have more micronutrients per calorie, which might help people who arent getting those nutrients from other sources. Also for those with diabetes whole grains instead of white helps with keeping blood sugar stable.
    That said, I eat plenty of white carbs myself and am not tying to demonize them as a "bad food" or "put them in a corner" (I hate categorizing foods as "good" or "bad"-not my style). I just find they dont keep me full as long, and it's easier for me to meet my calorie and nutient goals if I try to eat some whole grains in my diet too.
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 54 Member
    Ahh... Everyone is different, and your needs and tolerances will change from your 20s->30s->40s->50s->60s. Those who are in your 20s and 30s, enjoy it and take advantage of all that you can do now. But as you get older, many people find it more challenging and many will have some medical issues. Many find they cannot lose weight the way they could before.

    I'm 52 and 150+ lbs. I have been active most of my life. I've lost weight before, I've weight trained regularly most my life. But now, I've some medical issues. My hormones are also wreaking havoc which affect how I lose weight. And find it's 5 times more challenging than even 10 years ago. I also have diabetes in my family history. For those reasons, and because I care about my health, I've chosen to go low carb, which means, cutting way down on processed stuff, sugars, flours and the like. But I didn't stop there, I've chosen to go Low Carb High Fat (this means healthy fats and not a GO pass for all the bacon you can eat), for my own personal situation and because it's HEALTHY, while still aiding weight loss. I would NOT have even thought to do this in my 20s, 30s or 40s.

    Those who are younger and who have no medical issues may not appreciate what it's like to be older or have medical issues... I know, because I was once there. Bottom line: Do your research. Do what works for your situation: your body, your health situation and your goals. Be smart about your health. And be kind to yourself.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Ahh... Everyone is different, and your needs and tolerances will change from your 20s->30s->40s->50s->60s. Those who are in your 20s and 30s, enjoy it and take advantage of all that you can do now. But as you get older, many people find it more challenging and many will have some medical issues. Many find they cannot lose weight the way they could before.

    I'm 52 and 150+ lbs. I have been active most of my life. I've lost weight before, I've weight trained regularly most my life. But now, I've some medical issues. My hormones are also wreaking havoc which affect how I lose weight. And find it's 5 times more challenging than even 10 years ago. I also have diabetes in my family history. For those reasons, and because I care about my health, I've chosen to go low carb, which means, cutting way down on processed stuff, sugars, flours and the like. But I didn't stop there, I've chosen to go Low Carb High Fat (this means healthy fats and not a GO pass for all the bacon you can eat), for my own personal situation and because it's HEALTHY, while still aiding weight loss. I would NOT have even thought to do this in my 20s, 30s or 40s.

    Those who are younger and who have no medical issues may not appreciate what it's like to be older or have medical issues... I know, because I was once there. Bottom line: Do your research. Do what works for your situation: your body, your health situation and your goals. Be smart about your health. And be kind to yourself.

    I'm your age, and while I don't have medical issues, diabetes runs all through my family. Still, this has been the easiest time of my life for losing weight and keeping it off. I bought into the age-as-excuse myth for a while, but not anymore.

    Caring about one's health can also mean choosing NOT to go low carb.

  • TaraHancock827
    TaraHancock827 Posts: 37 Member
    I try to do low carb most of the week and find that I am never hungry. Its just something about carbs that makes me want more carbs and crave sugar. It really works for me and I feel so much better not having all that sugar in my diet...even tho I love sugar!! I just don't crave it when im eating low carb...its amazing really
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    For those reasons, and because I care about my health, I've chosen to go low carb, which means, cutting way down on processed stuff, sugars, flours and the like. But I didn't stop there, I've chosen to go Low Carb High Fat (this means healthy fats and not a GO pass for all the bacon you can eat), for my own personal situation and because it's HEALTHY, while still aiding weight loss. I would NOT have even thought to do this in my 20s, 30s or 40s.

    Low carb is NOT healthier than other diets. Sure, it's possible to do LCHF in a healthy manner (although sadly I don't see this pushed as much). It's also easy to modify your diet to be more healthful (if necessary) without cutting carbs. I'm all for LCHF if someone finds it a more enjoyable or pleasant way to achieve a deficit or maintain weight, for them, but find it frustrating when people start claiming that eating carbs is somehow not healthy. It is certainly possible for someone to make poor choices as to the types and amounts of certain foods containing carbs (and often fat too) in their diets, just as it's possible to make poor choices when eating LCHF.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    dubird wrote: »
    I guess American? It's the one in the old Wilson books. Essentially it's powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.

    And butter, I assume? Yep, that's American buttercream.

    ETA: removing earlier quotes to fix botched tags - plus this quote is the only relevant bit anyway.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,589 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    I guess American? It's the one in the old Wilson books. Essentially it's powdered sugar, vanilla and milk.

    And butter, I assume? Yep, that's American buttercream.

    ETA: removing earlier quotes to fix botched tags - plus this quote is the only relevant bit anyway.

    I'm assuming butter is somehow involved in buttercream. ;)
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...but find it frustrating when people start claiming that eating carbs is somehow not healthy.

    Carbs are unhealthy.