Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It works for some people, especially people with PCOS or severe epilepsy, but you should be choosing a diet you can maintain for life. I personally think reducing "white" carbs and focusing on whole grains is good for your overall health and makes it easier to lose weight by keeping you fuller, but I really don't like to follow any diet that completely or nearly completely cuts out any major food groups. Many carbs are nutrient rich, and are more affordable and accesible for people from lower incomes. From a wider perspective, I dont believe the world population can be sustained without grains, grains are good for food stability.
    Maybe that was a bit off topic but basically, carbs are not evil.
    You can lose weight with them, you'll be healthier is you choose whole grains, youre more likely to maintain your diet for life if it doesnt cut out any major food groups.

This doesn't apply to me - white carbs keep me very full for a long time. I'm tired of seeing 'white carbs' put in the corner all the time. Over it. And why will I "be healthier" if I choose whole grains?

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Best-Carrot-Cake.jpg

now I want carrot cake...

The grass fed cattle thread lead to several beef purchases today. Do I have a frozen carrot cupcake? Carrot cupcake? Need to check some inventory.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Cons would be no yummy carbs

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy barely any carbs.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Barely any carbs isn't yummy to me.

Fixed it for you

Ditto, I can't stand low carb baked goods. The bread doesn't brown and any low carb baked good is pretty much like eating mud and feels like a rock in my stomach. :confounded:

My carrot cake wasn't a low carb recipe. I just didn't eat much and scraped off some of the cream cheese icing - my mother makes it quite sweet.

Ahh ok I'm feeling better now.

I was...up until the part about scraping off some of the cream cheese icing.

What is the point of carrot cake if not all the cream cheese frosting?

Some people don't like cream cheese frosting?

I don't need that kind of negativity in my life

+1. The cream cheese frosting is the only reason to eat a carrot cake, IMO. Red Velvet Cake is a much better vehicle for cream cheese frosting...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy barely any carbs.

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

Ditto, I can't stand low carb baked goods. The bread doesn't brown and any low carb baked good is pretty much like eating mud and feels like a rock in my stomach. :confounded:

My carrot cake wasn't a low carb recipe. I just didn't eat much and scraped off some of the cream cheese icing - my mother makes it quite sweet.

+1. The cream cheese frosting is the only reason to eat a carrot cake, IMO. Red Velvet Cake is a much better vehicle for cream cheese frosting...

+1000
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

There is such a thing as cream cheese frosting that is too sweet (i.e. it tastes like sugar and not at all like cream cheese).

I've been having a hard time finding a place that makes a good cream cheese frosting. I always get served something that tastes like American buttercream, heavy on the butter. Blech.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I like where this thread is going!!

Cheesecake with sour cream topping.n0cbra7rrgzc.jpeg
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

There is such a thing as cream cheese frosting that is too sweet (i.e. it tastes like sugar and not at all like cream cheese).

I've been having a hard time finding a place that makes a good cream cheese frosting. I always get served something that tastes like American buttercream, heavy on the butter. Blech.

True...I guess I should specify GOOD cream cheese frosting
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I believe for some people it works, and for others not so much. It's all a preference. I would personally never go low carb.
  • _Terrapin_
    edited January 2016
    Options
    33m4v2v.jpg

From the freezer.....a red velvet, chocolate/vanilla, one caramel machhiatto, chocolate chocolate chip, and #5 is a mystery......
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to for planning our wedding is we need to start tasting bakery samples for a wedding cake...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You guys, I'm on the road right now and I don't have the stuff to make carrot cake. This thread is deeply unfair. I am going to pout.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    c2kffyz198i1.jpg

Now I wish it was Christmas again.....
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

There's just something about the flavor of it that puts me off. Though, if I'm desperate for frosting, there's ready to use cans at the grochery store and I own plenty of spoons. XD

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

Some people don't like cream cheese frosting? I personally don't, if I make a cake, I put buttercream frosting on it.

Go on... :)

If you've never had it, go look up the recipe. It's what my mom always put on, and while other frostings are good, buttercream is my absolute favorite.

White chocolate pound cake with buttercream frosting............damn, now I want to make some! XD
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    c2kffyz198i1.jpg

Now I wish it was Christmas again.....

mmmm...what are the chunkers in the icing?!? It looks like I could make this fit in a low carb day.

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Pecans
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to for planning our wedding is we need to start tasting bakery samples for a wedding cake...

I would suggest several different bakery places. You can never be too careful getting the right cake.

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    Pecans

I can hear the MACROS filling out as I type

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ahh... My mother's carrot cake is a thing of beauty. Moist. Lots of nuts and very spicey. Mmmm. It hardly needs the cream cheese icing, which unfortunately is a bit too sweet for me - she adds so much icing sugar that she needs to add milk to make it spreadable... That icing doesn't fit my macros.

We were out for pizza dinner the night before that (keto pizza is just the cheese and toppings for me) and I had made and brought brownie cake and a chocolate icing for dessert. I skipped the brownie cake and just had the icing, which really was more of a mousse: avocados, cream cheese, butter, cocoa, vanilla, salt and sweetener. Yum.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

Maybe I just haven't had a good one, but I don't understand the big deal over red velvet cake. The one I've truly enjoyed beyond the fact that it's cake is from Nothing Bundt Cakes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

Maybe I just haven't had a good one, but I don't understand the big deal over red velvet cake. The one I've truly enjoyed beyond the fact that it's cake is from Nothing Bundt Cakes.

Did you have real red velvet cake? The one made with beet?

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016333-beet-red-velvet-cake