Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why bother posting anything on either side, its all been posted before (and is getting quite boring) and each side will find something contrary in what the other has posted.

If you find threads like this boring, perhaps avoiding them is something that might suit you better? There are new people joining this site every day for whom the question - exactly like the OP's - is relevant and something they are wanting credible information on.

Tl;dr: It's not about you. :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have so much weight to lose that I'm doing low carb/keto which has been working. Once I'm in a comfortable spot weight wise I'll probably add back oatmeal, fruit and a few other carbs I know I won't binge eat. I won't do pasta unless it's a special event - pasta is so easy to over consume for me. It's all personal choice really, knowing what foods you're addicted to that you have trouble controlling.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I believe low carb is fact (for some depending on their individual issues/goals) and not a fad. However, I also believe that low carb is not necessarily for everyone. When you consider all the WOE that people experiment with, swear by or try all over MFP, I think one thing we can all agree on is that what works and is right for one person, may not be the right thing for another.

I am a serial yo yo dieter and the biggest thing I have learned over the past few months is that I have to find what works for ME for the long term (including maintenance, when I get there). That happens to be moderate to low carbs (30-75g a day). I feel good, I am losing weight more steadily than when I ate higher amounts of carbs and my hunger/food desires have dwindled significantly. I feel more satisfied with this WOE than any other I have tried. My main reason for starting this WOE was because it was doctor recommended due to PCOS, previous insulin resistance (which I now have under control) and fertility issues. I fought it tooth and nail for years, because I LOVED my carbs and sugar. But, now that I have actually committed to it, I am seeing the benefits.

Now, would my diet work for an relatively healthy man trying to build muscle? Probably not. But, we all have to find what works for us to meet our goals. There is no perfect answer for all the individual needs out there. The trick is to finding the answer for yourself.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Low carb is it fact or fiction? Fad or good? What do you guys think? Pro's or con's?

Good, not a fad. If you want to see the current fad just peruse the grocery store for the mind numbing quantity of products with the fat stripped out of them. Just try finding a simple yogurt with its normal level of fat! Low fat was a diet fad that evolved into systemic hysteria.

And how can you be certain that in 20 years we won't be lamenting the way that the low carb trend of today has influenced the product mix of the grocery stores calling LCHF a diet dad that evolved into systemic hysteria?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can contribute is to do what works for you. If it's low-carb then ok. One nutritionist told me if I focus on protein, the fats/carb's will take care of themselves, and I've found that to be pretty accurate. But that doesn't mean I'm purposely trying to be low-carb. I LOVE carb's - all day every day - love them. Just means I have to be careful about what carb's I do have, because I also have insulin resistance and some carb's for me are like crack. I can't have oreo's in the house....will eat every one in one breath. Anyway - I still think it's a "whatever works for you" sort of thing. Know thyself - what you are or aren't willing to do to make the weight loss happen.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've lost weight eating a lot of carbs, and I've lost weight eating a low carb diet. For keeping my last 5 pounds off, low carb has been more effective. I don't want to eat to eat as much on a low carb diet. Also, I went on a low carb diet because my doctor suggested it for my cholesterol, so the weight loss is just a fringe benefit. I seem to be naturally a little skinnier on low carb, which isn't a surprise since I don't think about food as much.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nope, not a fad. It's perfect for sedentary people to slightly moderately active people.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Cons would be no yummy carbs

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy carbs.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    fact or fiction ::laugh:: Um, fact.

Is it a fad? Merriam Webster defines "fad" as --

Simple Definition of fad: something (such as an interest or fashion) that is very popular for a short time

Full Definition of fad: a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal : craze

I think low carb diets have been around too long to fit the simple definition, but quite often fit the full definition on a personal basis.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I made turkey/beef burgers with red pepper, butter, garlic and a side kale salad, def did not miss the bun! I do miss my oatmeal though. Carrot cake sounds yummy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Nage3000 wrote: »

What do I think? Everyone should give Ketogenics at least a legitimate 3 month shot. No carbs for 3 months. It's a challenge a lot of people can't accomplish. Why? It separates those who are dedicated to changing their body, and those who buy Fitbits then eat pancakes, burgers, and drink beer all weekend long.
    LOL.
    Because people who buy Fitbits then eat pancakes, burgers, and drink beer all weekend are not dedicated. Seems legit. Your flamebait is showing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Actually I was talking about manicures and pedicures and paying market rent in a conveniently located urban apartment. 20 years from now, I don't know.
    But eating the same for 20 years IS doable.
    Foodwise, I eat moderate carb paleo/primal. 20 years from now, I might be in a nursing home which might make that not possible anymore. Until then, why not? For me, it's a lot less difficult than trying to eat "moderate" amounts of jelly donuts, caramel popcorn and fried chicken sandwiches with a side of fries.
    Point was that eating habits of people don't change much unless intentionally changed. If one eats within their calorie range with the variety of food they like and continue it for life, chances are their weight won't fluctuate as much either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I can, but I am querying your absolute statement.

good you get it, then we are done here….

unless you want to share some science about the properties of keto/low carb that somehow makes it superior to other ways of eating…?

I don't think any weight loss program/way of eating is superior, I think its a case of do doing what suits the person and what is sustainable for an individual.

Why bother posting anything on either side, its all been posted before (and is getting quite boring) and each side will find something contrary in what the other has posted.

I am contrary to any posting that says their way is the best way for every individual, but nothing wrong in saying this worked for me and may work for you.

Let's face it majority of OP's just want to hear what worked and what didn't work for those who choose to reply. I am done being a participant to derailing the thread, I have to be up for work in less than six hours.

OP do what works for you, you probably know by now what doesn't, give alternatives a try. It may be that over time you alternate between various programs/methods as your circumstances change but do consider the long term and sustainability. Calorie counting is a good first option, after a genuine try if it isn't working see what needs tweaking or see if another program works for you, plenty out there: low carb, meditarrane.an, WW, primal, mindful eating, portion control, etc

not sure why you keep replying to me, as I clearly told OP that Low Carb is not a fad and that she can go ahead and do it; however, the same principles of CICO apply.

My point is that low carb or keto is not some magical elixir that will cure all ills and end all disease in the known world...
  • lfanning4206
    lfanning4206 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Low carb seems to never work for me! I always so much better when my macros are followed.. eating in moderation.. calorie intake vs activity level is key!!! it is so simple and you can eat what you want but within reason..sugar is bad.. complex carbs are awesome! Don't drink your carbs and don't consider sugary foods like candy.. dark chocolate yes. in moderation. with nut butter of choice when you need a sweet.. but I don't think it's a fad.. there will always be those who do it correctly and it does work for them. You just cant go wrong watching your calories, macros and activity level though!!! I think it is the healthiest way. Your body needs fat to deliver the nutrients to your body. Fat is the vehicle ... healthy fat is a must!!! So bottom line here.. when I get rid of carbs I never lose weight.. I have no idea why. I have tried the right way without going to sugary foods.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yeay, someone said complex carbs are awesome.
    I could not live without my beans, plain oatmeal, barley, quinoa, avocado, lentils, sweet potatoes, and my apple.
    (frustrated that I'm the only one sometimes).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Low carb is it fact or fiction? Fad or good? What do you guys think? Pro's or con's?

What do I think? Everyone should give Ketogenics at least a legitimate 3 month shot. No carbs for 3 months. It's a challenge a lot of people can't accomplish. Why? It separates those who are dedicated to changing their body, and those who buy Fitbits then eat pancakes, burgers, and drink beer all weekend long.

Crap. I have a Fitbit, I eat pancakes and burgers and I drink beer. I guess I'm not dedicated to changing my body? Oh wait, I've been here for 3 years, lost 30 lbs, am successfully maintaining, am healthier and more active than I've ever been in my life. Yeah, that's not dedication. Probably just dumb luck.

I knew I liked you. Must be the beer buzz.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Point was that eating habits of people don't change much unless intentionally changed. If one eats within their calorie range with the variety of food they like and continue it for life, chances are their weight won't fluctuate as much either.

Theoretically yes. Put in practice, very often not. Above, I listed the foodz I very much like, and have eaten all my life. I don't moderate those foodz successfully - never have and never will. And I know I'm not alone in this.

Most people don't gain weight eating too many vegetables and fresh fruits. Something like chicken is easily overeaten when breaded and fried or drenched in a corn starchy gravy laden with sugar and soy sauce as in a Chinese restaurant. If that same chicken was not breaded or fried, not dressed with starchy gravy, not stuffed with Stouffer's and not soaked in a sugar sweetened marinade, the notion of overeating it would be far less attractive.

But I know you're not in my camp. So we'll agree to disagree.

Well, I agree that if all you allow yourself are foods that don't taste good, the notion of overeating would be far less attractive.

The problem with your argument is that there's plenty of highly palatable ways to eat chicken that are not breaded or fried, not dressed with starchy gravy, not stuffed with Stouffer's and not soaked in a sugar sweetened marinade. If it's tasty, some people will overeat it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Crap. I have a Fitbit, I eat pancakes and burgers and I drink beer. I guess I'm not dedicated to changing my body? Oh wait, I've been here for 3 years, lost 30 lbs, am successfully maintaining, am healthier and more active than I've ever been in my life. Yeah, that's not dedication. Probably just dumb luck.

Yep. I'm also a Fitbit owner pancake eater who was unable to last on keto but managed to lose large on a carb level considered high by some despite starting pre-diabetic and having PCOS. My dumb luck has also brought my blood sugar levels to normal. It has nothing to do with being dedicated to changing my body. Nothing, I tell you.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    An ultra low-carb, low-fat, high protein diet makes it easier for me to lose weight because it's low-calorie, streamlined, and according to some theories causes the body to burn more fat. But upon reaching my goal, I add more carbs because I need the energy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I knew I liked you. Must be the beer buzz.

Likely it is the dementia causing carbohydrates that are drawing you to me....