WinoGelato wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Cons would be no yummy carbs

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy barely any carbs.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Barely any carbs isn't yummy to me.

Fixed it for you

Ditto, I can't stand low carb baked goods. The bread doesn't brown and any low carb baked good is pretty much like eating mud and feels like a rock in my stomach. :confounded:

My carrot cake wasn't a low carb recipe. I just didn't eat much and scraped off some of the cream cheese icing - my mother makes it quite sweet.

Ahh ok I'm feeling better now.

I was...up until the part about scraping off some of the cream cheese icing.

What is the point of carrot cake if not all the cream cheese frosting?

Some people don't like cream cheese frosting?

I don't need that kind of negativity in my life

+1. The cream cheese frosting is the only reason to eat a carrot cake, IMO. Red Velvet Cake is a much better vehicle for cream cheese frosting...

Maybe I just haven't had a good one, but I don't understand the big deal over red velvet cake. The one I've truly enjoyed beyond the fact that it's cake is from Nothing Bundt Cakes.

Did you have real red velvet cake? The one made with beet?

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016333-beet-red-velvet-cake

Okay, that sounds both delicious and interesting.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

No yummy carbs? No no. This thread was about low carb diet and not a carnivorous, almost no carb diet.

I eat a very low carb, ketogenic diet yet last night I had green beans with butter, pork roast with some gravy, and a slice of carrot cake. There's a few things in that meal that qualify as yummy barely any carbs.

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

OP just putting a disclaimer here that this is great for this poster but does may not apply to you or the rest of the population ...

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

Ditto, I can't stand low carb baked goods. The bread doesn't brown and any low carb baked good is pretty much like eating mud and feels like a rock in my stomach. :confounded:

My carrot cake wasn't a low carb recipe. I just didn't eat much and scraped off some of the cream cheese icing - my mother makes it quite sweet.

There's just something about the flavor of it that puts me off. Though, if I'm desperate for frosting, there's ready to use cans at the grochery store and I own plenty of spoons. XD

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

Some people don't like cream cheese frosting? I personally don't, if I make a cake, I put buttercream frosting on it.

Go on... :)

If you've never had it, go look up the recipe. It's what my mom always put on, and while other frostings are good, buttercream is my absolute favorite.

White chocolate pound cake with buttercream frosting............damn, now I want to make some! XD

Psst - which type of buttercream? American, French, Swiss, Italian, Flour, German? Those last two types I've not had the opportunity to made yet, but I have tried them :smile:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

+1. The cream cheese frosting is the only reason to eat a carrot cake, IMO. Red Velvet Cake is a much better vehicle for cream cheese frosting...

Maybe I just haven't had a good one, but I don't understand the big deal over red velvet cake. The one I've truly enjoyed beyond the fact that it's cake is from Nothing Bundt Cakes.

It's good and better than carrot cake. IMO
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

It's good and better than carrot cake. IMO
    Non acidic stuff sounds fun; and her play on different levels. She sounds evil.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

There is such a thing as cream cheese frosting that is too sweet (i.e. it tastes like sugar and not at all like cream cheese).

I've been having a hard time finding a place that makes a good cream cheese frosting. I always get served something that tastes like American buttercream, heavy on the butter. Blech.

I think one of the things I'm most looking forward to for planning our wedding is we need to start tasting bakery samples for a wedding cake...

I would suggest several different bakery places. You can never be too careful getting the right cake.

Start with 8 or 10.

Then you'll need a second round of sampling after narrowing the field down to 6 or so.

Then a third round after narrowing it down to the top 4

Finally a final round (at this point, it's probably best to get an entire cake sample to judge icing/decorating ability too) with the top two.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

No, I highly doubt it was! Now I'm going to have to try it the real way and report back at some point. Mm.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    7 minute frosting.

Especially on a coconut cake......

Sigh, my Dr. already yelled at me for the week after Christmas baking spree I went on. It was totally worth it though....

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

• Improved blood glucose
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • Better skin
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Fixed.

fixed it for you

Fixed it for you

No, I highly doubt it was! Now I'm going to have to try it the real way and report back at some point. Mm.

PM when you do!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    33m4v2v.jpg

From the freezer.....a red velvet, chocolate/vanilla, one caramel machhiatto, chocolate chocolate chip, and #5 is a mystery......

Oh I need these recipes

Seriously, typed a long reply and it posted the first 5 words? Like typing on a phone while working out is easy?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

I'm throwing the challenge flag on the /thread! ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

#WhyNotBoth

http://www.food.com/recipe/peanut-butter-cream-cheese-frosting-88800
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

Last really decadent cake I had was devils food layers with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and chocolate ganache drizzled over it.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    33m4v2v.jpg

From the freezer.....a red velvet, chocolate/vanilla, one caramel machhiatto, chocolate chocolate chip, and #5 is a mystery......

Oh I need these recipes

Seriously, typed a long reply and it posted the first 5 words? Like typing on a phone while working out is easy?

Take 2: my kids would love if I made any of those. Speaking of my kids if anyone has an excellent carrot cake muffin recipe please share. If I substitute applesauce for the oil I'm sure I can justify it as a good in-competition snack
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    c2kffyz198i1.jpg

Now I wish it was Christmas again.....

That colour is quite scary... It's just not right in a cake... or any food. LOL
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

Last really decadent cake I had was devils food layers with peanut butter cream cheese frosting and chocolate ganache drizzled over it.

10/10 would eat again
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

#WhyNotBoth

^These.... I feel like something happened just now that opened up the heavens and let the light and strange invisible chorus shine through.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    33m4v2v.jpg

Oh I need these recipes

Workout first; eat cupcakes second. We get a 1/2 dozen at a time. Cupcake Store up the road. It is an experience deciding on just 6. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

Just because the frosting sticks to the roof of your mouth doesn't mean the thread is over.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread
    Peanut butter frosting

/thread

#WhyNotBoth

^These.... I feel like something happened just now that opened up the heavens and let the light and strange invisible chorus shine through.

Ok, stupid question, but what's the vegan substitution for cream cheese? I could see tofu having a similar texture, but replicating the flavor I would think would be rather difficult.