I know they say you shouldn't lose weight too fast BUT, I really want to lose 4lbs a week

Options

Replies

• laney4088
    laney4088 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this. I guess I thought I would get some good information, which I did. I wasn't expecting mean comments. I thought this was here to support people, not make them feel bad.
  • robinotl
    robinotl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It took more than 12 weeks to get 100 lbs overweight. Give yourself some time to lose it. People are right when they say if you lose it that fast not only will you have health issues and exhaustion and grumpiness, but you will gain it all back once you try to go to a somewhat normal healthy amount of calorie consumption. I have a co-worker friend who has done this crazy 500 calorie a day diet (takes these "drops" to help). I've seen him on and off this diet for YEARS - he's a foodie like me and inevitably, as soon as he goes off the diet, he gains it all back and then some. He's been yo-yo dieting for years. Yet he keeps doing what doesn't work. Be kind to yourself and let MyFitnessPal guide you in a realistic, workable goal. I know you want the weight to disappear as fast as possible - no one likes carrying around that kind of extra weight - but if you do the weight loss more gradually (slower), you will have more sustainable results that you can maintain in the long run. AND you will be able to eat like a normal person. Just my 2 cents...
  • laney4088
    laney4088 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    robinotl wrote: »
    It took more than 12 weeks to get 100 lbs overweight. Give yourself some time to lose it. People are right when they say if you lose it that fast not only will you have health issues and exhaustion and grumpiness, but you will gain it all back once you try to go to a somewhat normal healthy amount of calorie consumption. I have a co-worker friend who has done this crazy 500 calorie a day diet (takes these "drops" to help). I've seen him on and off this diet for YEARS - he's a foodie like me and inevitably, as soon as he goes off the diet, he gains it all back and then some. He's been yo-yo dieting for years. Yet he keeps doing what doesn't work. Be kind to yourself and let MyFitnessPal guide you in a realistic, workable goal. I know you want the weight to disappear as fast as possible - no one likes carrying around that kind of extra weight - but if you do the weight loss more gradually (slower), you will have more sustainable results that you can maintain in the long run. AND you will be able to eat like a normal person. Just my 2 cents...

• piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    laney4088 wrote: »
    I'm new to this. I guess I thought I would get some good information, which I did. I wasn't expecting mean comments. I thought this was here to support people, not make them feel bad.

Nobody wants to support a rate of weight loss that could literally kill you. That's how much people care here. Please see this!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You can do it. 3500 calories is a pound. And you want to lose 4 lbs a week so all you need to do is be in a 14,000 calorie deficit per week average.

Op, don't be talked out of it. If this is something you really want, then go for it. We all have our own goals and this is yours.

You'll lose 100lbs in 6 weeks!!
    You go now, troll.

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    They aren't being mean, they're being emphatic. They are laying on heavy emphasis in order to get you not to do something dangerous and unhealthy. And they lay that on not only so you won't leave here and hurt yourself, but so that anyone else who has read this thread sees just with how much contempt VLCD's are held and doesn't go off and try one.

Stick with 2lbs per week. You can't maintain a 2000 calorie deficit and succeed, it will burn you out like crazy and it's just not worth it, and that's not even getting into the dangerous adverse effects on your health.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I was just asking about this. I'm not stupid and was looking for information to get healthy and lose weight. Not a bunch of mean remarks. I will not post again. Yes I'm 53 and have been using MFP for 3 weeks and have lost 7 lbs so far. I didn't mean to make you all mad and I am working hard at this. Having people say mean things really hurts a persons feeling. Sorry
    How exactly is stopping you from harming yourself mean? 4 lbs is dangerous, and even you knew it was.
    O_o

• KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    One of your motivations is "First for myself, second for my family all they want is a healthy mom."

What people here are trying to help you to understand, is that in order to lose four pounds a week, every week, for a sustained period of time, is going to leave you unhappy, definitely stressed out, and would be putting your health at risk. It is an unrealistic goal unless you are starting out in 300-400+ lb territory, in which case you should be seeking medical advice and not just forum tips.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.

What you can lose per week, and what you should lose per week are two different beasts. As everyone has pointed out, 1-2 pounds per week is on the safer side. Beyond that, it can be done, but needs close supervision from a doctor.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/71008-lose-pounds-week/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/57552-lose-lbs-week-diet/

I would say adjusting your "need" to a more slow and steady approach is going to be beneficial for you in the long run. If that ends up with your goal of dropping 100 pounds taking 1-2 years - so be it. That's much more in the safe and normal camp.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 4 lbs a week for 12wks. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? I have 100 to get rid of.
    psulemon wrote: »
    Realistically, you will not be able to cut the much fat a week. General rule of thumb is 1% body mass a month.

Why is this thread still here?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    Realistically, you will not be able to cut the much fat a week. General rule of thumb is 1% body mass a month.

In the ever-fleeting hope that other new people read it and see a giant flock of people all shouting "NO" at woo/derp so they get a clue before it's too late and they're eating skinny people poop?
  • brower47
    Options

In the ever-fleeting hope that other new people read it and see a giant flock of people all shouting "NO" at woo/derp so they get a clue before it's too late and they're eating skinny people poop?

This must be in the alternate TOS that I've missed somehow.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited January 2016
    Options

Right here in river city actually.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324189/eating-poop-for-weight-loss

Have fun reading that one, the gif's are quite hilarious

ETA: maybe safer to read on an empty stomach.
  • brower47
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10324189/eating-poop-for-weight-loss

I read that one the other morning. I'm not sure how the two are related.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to lose 4 lbs a week, you want to lose 4 lbs a week. What you should want is do lose the weight in a healthy way and be able to keep it off. Good luck with your goals.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

You asked why the post was still up. I was pointing out (with apparently too-dry humor) that I think they left it up in the hopes that people would read it, see many responses calling it crazy, and not do it. The eating poop thing was the too-dry humor part. I forget you can't read tone and there is no sarcasm font.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You could chop off a leg.

Oh, my. Funny.
  • brower47
    Options

You asked why the post was still up. I was pointing out (with apparently too-dry humor) that I think they left it up in the hopes that people would read it, see many responses calling it crazy, and not do it. The eating poop thing was the too-dry humor part. I forget you can't read tone and there is no sarcasm font.

I wonder what sarcasm font would look like.

I'm going to go put in a suggestion in the forum suggestion thread.

Maybe it will get implemented tomorrow.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Well, in the meantime, I've resolved to use this: :|
  • brower47
    Options

Well, in the meantime, I've resolved to use this: :|

That looks more like confusion than sarcasm. Now I'm wondering what a sarcasm emoji looks like.

I wonder if the old MFP set had one. Off to look.
This discussion has been closed.