any other not-that-heavy girls trying to lose more weight?

Options

Replies

• Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Like according to my BMI, I am overweight.

But I fit into a size 8... so I don't feel as though I look overweight.

Okay I get it now. I'm really new to all this BMI, BRM, BS and so get confused really easily. Also you look super tiny in your picture and I would never want to tell someone who is dangerously under weight "good luck I hope you loss that last 5lbs." EEEK.

I think feeling good about yourself is key to really enjoying life. I'm glad your able to look beyond the label and see that you are beautiful. Good luck, I hope you get in that size 6.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    i guess it sounds dumb but my goal is to have abs that i can see.

Not dumb at all - that is my goal too! I was sooo close about 8 months ago but then went away for 6 months and am really struggling to get rid of the bad habits I developed while I was away. I am about 5'10 and currently weigh about 65kgs (145 lbs?) - which I know sounds fine... which realistically I know IS fine... but I am carying excess fat in typical female places (stomach and hips) and I would like to get back to 135 lbs because I felt really fit at that weight, my clothes fit me properly and I felt great about myself. My main goal, though, it to lose body fat (required to be able to see abs!), and my weight loss goal is derived from that because when I was 135 lbs before I could see great muscle definitiion. I was also doing more weight trainig then too and am getting back in to it now. Time will tell whether the 135 lbs goal and the visible abs goal equate to the same thing!
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"3' and currently at 123 pounds. I wanna get down to 110, or 115 is more realistic. It's taking forever though!
  • innersparkle
    Options
    Im 5'7'' and currently 138 lb but aim to be between 105-110lb. I go on holiday in 3 weeks and am hoping to be around 119lb so im guessing i need to do more exercise and eat less or lower calorie foods!
  • mizzzie
    mizzzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal! I'm at 121 right now and trying to get down to 110, ideally 108 before thanksgiving. I know it will be really hard around the holiday season. It doesn't sound like a lot, but I been yoyo-ing back and forth and haven't really lost any weight. I don't know what to do anymore... I was down to 116 at one point, and now back up...
  • flannan
    flannan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this thread again.

The link below is from within 'asjerven's link. i think it really interesting and it's definitely me and it sounds like a lot of you guys too. It's titled "Thin on the Outside, Obese On the Inside".
    I was always around 111 but even when I was 12 yrs old had a bit of jiggle on my thighs & butt and a pooch tummy.

I joined MFP almost 2 mos ago to accomplish 130 to 124 goal. I know at 45 I'll never be 115 again and would look sickly if I was. Well, i've only "lost" 2 lbs sticking to 1200 cals and i'm completely bummed.

i've never had a problem dropping 5+lbs any time i wanted til now. Now i can't even manage this 2lbs consistently!! its so frustrating! I guess I have to take this article's advice and get on the cardio and not worry so much about just sticking the 1200 cals because it doens't seem to do anything for me.

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100254540&page=1
  • sjyates
    sjyates Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal! I'm at 121 right now and trying to get down to 110, ideally 108 before thanksgiving. I know it will be really hard around the holiday season. It doesn't sound like a lot, but I been yoyo-ing back and forth and haven't really lost any weight. I don't know what to do anymore... I was down to 116 at one point, and now back up...

I am in the same boat as you. . .I am 5'5" and 132 now, but I would like to be 120 or less by Thanksgiving for my brother's wedding. I'm hoping that if I work really hard and get there, I won't splurge during the holiday season because of all the work I'll have put in to get to my goal weight!

I'm eating 1200 calories plus my exercise calories per day, but I am still crazy hungry at certain points of the day. Will this pass? I am also breastfeeding, so any advice on this side of things would be great! I will probably quit breastfeeding in October (at least that's the plan right now). And I'm doing Zumba and taking my daughter for walks for my exercise. . .

Good luck to you!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and am now 154, which is just under a BMI of 25. I can't actually imagine myself on the lower end of my healthy BMI so would be more than happy to get down to 145lbs... but will those last pounds shift?! Nope...
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    !

I'm eating 1200 calories plus my exercise calories per day, but I am still crazy hungry at certain points of the day. Will this pass? I am also breastfeeding, so any advice on this side of things would be great! I will probably quit breastfeeding in October (at least that's the plan right now). And I'm doing Zumba and taking my daughter for walks for my exercise. . .

Good luck to you!

If you're pregnant and certainly when you're breastfeeding, you need to be eating *at least* 1600-1800 calories a day - without counting the exercise calories or anything else. For a baby under 6 months old, you'll need 500 calories more, and once they're feeding less (so after 6 months, and when they're on solids) it'll be around 300 cals more each day. Also, eat full-fat produce and a healthy, balanced diet.

If you consistently eat under 1600 cals a day, you could find that your body stops producing milk, because it'll think there's a food shortage and will want to preserve your body, rather than feed the baby.

When I was breastfeeding, I was eating 2200 cals a day and lost 12kg of baby weight in 6 months. It was only when my baby cut down his feeds - and I didn't cut down my eating - that I stopped losing weight... but still didn't gain any.
  • leiacw
    leiacw Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm 5'3", down to 144lbs, so I'm slightly overweight. My short-term goal is to get down to a healthy BMI range by mid September which, according to the charts, is another 4 lbs. Ideally I'd like to be in the mid-range for healthy weight, and I'm aiming for 130.
  • Shanormski
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3 and 133 wanting to get down to 126. I'm still not sure if what I'm doing is right but I know its will be difficult with so little to lose. I'm trying 1200 per day and exercising about 700 six days a week and not eating too much over the 1200 as I'm not that hungry! It's been about a month and I've lost about 5 so I'll see how it goes. But knowing some of you are in the same boat makes me feel better! I love exercising and dont want to do any less and I'm eating more than enough not to feel hungry so only time will tell.
  • amelia87
    amelia87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya girl! I'm 5'5" and I currently weigh 138.6. I have come a long way, being 191 at my heaviest. My next goal is 130 and then after that 125. People are saying I'm skinny enough, but I'm not where I want to be yet.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7'' and currently 138 lb but aim to be between 105-110lb. I go on holiday in 3 weeks and am hoping to be around 119lb so im guessing i need to do more exercise and eat less or lower calorie foods!

Sorry to be the healthy weight police but 110 is not a good goal. Especially with your history of anorexia, the very least you should weight is 115. 119 would leave you with a bmi of only 18.6 as it is :flowerforyou: in fact, since you are already at a healthy weight, why not focus on other measures, such as body fat percentage or a size dress? I'm just sayin', I don't want you to get hurt
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Sorry to be the healthy weight police but 110 is not a good goal. Especially with your history of anorexia, the very least you should weight is 115. 119 would leave you with a bmi of only 18.6 as it is :flowerforyou: in fact, since you are already at a healthy weight, why not focus on other measures, such as body fat percentage or a size dress? I'm just sayin', I don't want you to get hurt

I also do not want to preach or police but...I have to agree with cutmd. I'm 5'7" also and 105-110 is really a drastic goal. This choice will put you solidly in the unhealthy range. Please think about your health both mental and physical, and consider a new goal. I say this from kindness not to try to discourage you from healthy weight loss.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I got my ticket to Vegas for Sept. 9 so I have bikini-time looming. This might be the incentive I need to get myself to the store and get a meal plan and stick to it for the next two weeks. Maybe south beach?
    I am thinking, I will keep jogging 30 minutes 3 times per week (I am still not running 5k) and add Jillian Michaels 30-day shred to the other 3 days. I will have one day of rest;) but no cheat days-gonna try to stick to the cals, 1200 plus whatever exercise calories I get. so if I want a beer I have to jog to the bar;)
    I know it's not about the number on the scale-my skinny jeans actually felt tight after the 30-day shred in May but I think it was because I had a better butt and thigh muscles.
    the couch to 5k is a fun challenge but I have not been doing great with the diet, so I can't say if it is good for weight loss. Some people have told me that running is not great for fat loss?! I am not sure why.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I got my ticket to Vegas for Sept. 9 so I have bikini-time looming. This might be the incentive I need to get myself to the store and get a meal plan and stick to it for the next two weeks. Maybe south beach?
    I am thinking, I will keep jogging 30 minutes 3 times per week (I am still not running 5k) and add Jillian Michaels 30-day shred to the other 3 days. I will have one day of rest;) but no cheat days-gonna try to stick to the cals, 1200 plus whatever exercise calories I get. so if I want a beer I have to jog to the bar;)
    I know it's not about the number on the scale-my skinny jeans actually felt tight after the 30-day shred in May but I think it was because I had a better butt and thigh muscles.
    the couch to 5k is a fun challenge but I have not been doing great with the diet, so I can't say if it is good for weight loss. Some people have told me that running is not great for fat loss?! I am not sure why.

This article is long, but it does a good job of explaining why steady state cardio isn't great compared to interval training:
    http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/01/hierarchy-of-fat-loss

This article is more dramatic, but an entertaining read:
    http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=2391092

Especially if you're only jogging for 30 minutes, you would be better off doing sprinting intervals :smile:
  • junerose
    Options
    I'm at my healthy BMI, but it's so frustrating because I'm never sure where I am in the sizing ranges. I want to lose weight so that people can only call me one size and not various other ones. Like, some people call me small and others call me big. It's so frustrating I just want to get over this. Kind of depressing though, because I've gained 2 pounds after losing 8 :/
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    thanks, cutmd! I still think all the runners I know are skinny;) chicken/egg? but I can work in the weights and interval stuff for a few weeks.
    junerose, I am not sure I understand-you want to be called one size? Please don't worry about what people call you:) that's on them.
    clothing sizes are not fixed, either, and "vanity sizing" means that what used to be an 8 is now a 2 because the clothing sellers figured out that women got excited to buy a size smaller than they were last year, even if they weren't any smaller! so don't get hung up on a clothing size,either.
    I wanted to ask about sodium. I never watch it, do others? what's a good goal for mg of sodium?
    I pulled out the south beach book, I think I got a meal plan. It seems ok, except the not drinking part-I need to condition for Vegas;)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya girl! I'm 5'5" and I currently weigh 138.6. I have come a long way, being 191 at my heaviest. My next goal is 130 and then after that 125. People are saying I'm skinny enough, but I'm not where I want to be yet.
    A bit of a scary thread, I see so many ppl at close to my height wanting to weigh 25 lbs. less than the lowest recommended weight? When will we ever be happy with ourselves? 5 more, 10 more, 15 more, 20 more and on it goes. I totally GET being very overweight and then feeling the freedom as you go down down down but ....it's simply one extreme to the others. Being to skinny is not much different than having to much weight on the body in regards to health. Either way is not safe for our bodies if we demand to much of them without adequate nutrients....

Just been there and also get confused on the...what weight is enough, so when I see a list with a large handful of others (not all, I realize) trying to get so low, it scares me as well, makes me feel I should keep going. Dunno

Carry on.......Best I stay out of this thread, no good can come for me in it. No offense to those really wanting to keep healthy bodies, I just know how easily some of us can influenced if we're not careful.

Edit: just wanted to clarify, I used the quote above but wasn't actually intending anything I said directly to any one person.
  • rachelc19
    Options
    I am 4'11" and 107 pounds and my goal is 95 pounds, but people think I am crazy. This is for my personal happiness and self esteem and I hate when people tell you you should gain weight when you don't have to.