WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Gloria - I'm so glad that you got them done! Especially when you were sick! I hope you feel better.

Janetr - it was a lot of fun doing this together! I'm so happy that you had such great results!

How did everyone else do? Maybe we should take turns suggesting a challenge for the week. Exercise, macros, water, steps...

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    Morning friends~
    sounds like everyone had a good weekend~ well Happy Leap Year to everyone.. feel bad for people born on the 29th they only have a birthday every 4 yrs,
    It was a nice weekend.. back to the grind...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Leap Day Monday! Pretty nice day yesterday here in W. Michigan. Temps in 50's, partly sunny, windy. I got out for my walk in the morning, got the house ready for my daycare and got the spare room ready for my little guest for the week. Took down family pictures and hung up superhero pics and placed baseball stuff on shelves. Downloaded and copied a pic of Jaxon's (the 8 yr old boy who is with me for the week) mom and him and put it on the table by his bed. Laid out his bear and blankie on the bed. Kind of excited. I haven't had an 8 yr old in my house full time in 14 years! Anyway, after that, I felt exhausted. It really wasn't that much work, so I figured I was coming down with whatever DH has...So...by 2:30 I was on the couch with a blanket and a heating pad. I fell asleep for a couple hours. Still felt tired and achy when I woke up. By then DH was up and moving and hovering over me. "Oh no! Are you sick?" He then showered got dressed and went to get me some soup, and cough drops. It is amazing that his pissing and moaning over how sick he is ended, once I felt sick and couldn't take care of him as well. Oh well, his recovery was very much appreciated. I went to bed at 8pm and woke up this morning at 4:30 feeling much better! Only dry scratchy throat left. I sound like a frog; but it's leap day so that's okay.

Carol-What you saw on the surfcam is the norm for Lake Michigan. Most days the waves do go up over the pier. In the summer the kids and the surfers will be out on the pier jumping off and riding the waves into shore. The waves can get 20-30 feet high during stormy weather! It is pretty spectacular to see them crashing into the lighthouse at the pier head. Trying to get a picture to post:
    c1.staticflickr.com/5/4149/4970241517_a6ff8a9f24_b.jpg

MIndy- Your Florida trip sounded and looked like fun! Never suggest that it was time/hours "lost". Something like that is good for the soul! <3

Mary- I am up for another challenge! Do you have one in mind? Maybe an extra few steps each day?

Gloria- Hope you are feeling better today!

Cheri- Very interested in your temperature afghan! Especially this time of year when temps tend to fluctuate wildly! Can't wait to see the finished project! And your HP graphghan?! THat is just amazing! My daughter and I loved those books!

BArbie- I have written down both books you suggested so far; Strong Women... and the running one. I am thinking those will be my Spring Break reads! Have you read Being Mortal by Atul Gawande? It has been out, and on the best seller list for a few years. It is about aging, the perception of the aging and health care for the aging in America. I know it sounds kind of boring, but it was really interesting and gave me a new insight into how my mother/father in law feel and what they are thinking, when I/we think they are being stubborn and uncompromising. For any one who is caring for older family/friends, this is an amazing book to read. Opened my eyes.

Betty - Gorgeous picture! Where are/were you?

MIriam- Love the garden pictures! Love the idea of thyme between the stepping stones! My DH accuses me of having a relationship with my herbs/herb garden every summer. I go out to care for them and talk to them (naturally) but I also have to rub my hands along the Rosemary and Mint. I then, go in the house and make him smell my hands! LOL! I do this quite a few times each growing season. I am sure he thinks I am nuts, but he sticks with me. I would roll in that stuff if I could!

Anne- I am sure the stress of the cruise and the "unknown" factor of how it was going to go was hard on you! So glad you are a little more settled and comfortable with yourself and your choices. SO much easier to make healthy choices when stress is reduced! Love to you! <3

JOyce- So nice that Michelle comes to visit weekly! I still have my youngest here at home. He works and goes to the local community college. I am not sure how I will handle the "empty nest" when he flies away!

Heather- Katla says it perfectly (her quote below)
    Heather: You are inspiring in so many ways, but your ability to see the good parts of a complicated and flawed dad are amazing. I admire your balance and imagine it took work and effort to get to this point. :heart:
  • KJLaMore
    Options
    Shoot! My picture didn't load! Here is a news video of a storm last November. It is dark for the first few seconds, but there is a clip in there of daylight wave action and some surfers. Kind of cool. Hope it loads.
    http://woodtv.com/2015/11/11/grand-haven-pier-shuts-down-ahead-of-storm/
  • KJLaMore
    Options
    Here are some great photos by a transplanted local man, Bob Peskorse:
    http://grandhavenphotos.com/
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    Options
    Thank you Katla, KJ, and Miriam. It took years, thousands of pounds worth of therapy and personal growth courses, much reading and the love of a good man. And this thread. :D<3

Heather UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Barbie - I have read the book you suggested "Strong Women Stay Young". I also ordered her CD "Preventing Osteoporosis" which has a demo of all the weight resistance exercises so it demonstrates the correct form. I have watched it a couple of times now. I am a little bit sore in my back muscles but not too bad. Jack went and bought me some ankle weights this afternoon while he was out running around. I'm excited to continue with this and see the difference. Oh, which reminds me, I want to take my measurements to have a starting point for comparison.

Janetr OKC (excited about weight training and getting stronger)

:) Bravo....that book got me started on weight training after years of promising myself that I would do it....the plan was so simple and I especially liked that you didn't have to get down on the ground to do any of the exercises in the basic plan. Your husband is a darling to get you the ankle weights. <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

BArbie- I have written down both books you suggested so far; Strong Women... and the running one. I am thinking those will be my Spring Break reads! Have you read Being Mortal by Atul Gawande? It has been out, and on the best seller list for a few years. It is about aging, the perception of the aging and health care for the aging in America. I know it sounds kind of boring, but it was really interesting and gave me a new insight into how my mother/father in law feel and what they are thinking, when I/we think they are being stubborn and uncompromising. For any one who is caring for older family/friends, this is an amazing book to read. Opened my eyes.

I found the book you recommended as an audio book from my library...I have a hold on it with one person ahead of me so I'll get in a few weeks and can listen while I walk my dogs.

• kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Good morning --
    Just catching up. I spent the weekend painting a room in our summer house. 4 hours on Saturday and 3 hours on Sunday and I was exhausted. Who knew painting could be so tiring. Hubbie didn't like the color I picked, but I do and I did the painting...sooooooo it stays.

Feeling unmotivated today and watching too much TV. I have to get moving. Will be back later.

Kimses in MA

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

Off to the Hemorrhoid doc this a.m. for my LAST treatment! Phew made it through that one. Husband is taking me to First Watch for a special breakfast after my appt. Sweet of him as he knows this was a tough one for me.

I have dug out my copy of Strong Women Stay Strong and tomorrow I will start on a routine. I had been lifting but with the compressed nerve issue and PT for that I had to stop for a bit. This will get me in the groove again!

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my crafts. Crafting is my therapy!

Even though I don't individually comment know that my thoughts, prayers and blessings are going out to everyone on here. You guys are the first ones I look in on each morning!

Happy Leap Day!

tgp5cgs9zstg.jpg

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Happy Leap Day!

This is the last day of February and I'm ready to discuss how I did on February's resolutions & goals.

February Resolutions :

1. Log every bite and swallow. Done. This is the personal discipline I've learned from MFP that keeps me healthy and prevents the yoyo effect I experienced while dieting in my life prior to MFP.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength. I've done this every week other than right after I broke my wrist.
    3. Have fun every day. Done! Having fun includes things like waking the dog, yoga classes, reading a good book, and watching hummingbirds.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! I struggle with this one, but am doing okay.
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. This is vital and I make it even if I have to move to another room to get away from the bear snoring in the cave.

Goals

1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

My orthopedic doctor who is treating my broken wrist didn't call me an idiot right out loud, but the implication was there. :embarassed: He said I needed to make my bones stonger and that he'd prescribe the medicine to do it if my regular doctor would not. My regular doctor at the time was not helpful and I've since started going to a new doctor who prescribed fosamax. I see the orthopedist later this week and will confirm whether this is the right medication.

Newbies: This is the very last day of the February thread. This evening Barbie will post a link to a new thread for March. Follow the link and be sure to bookmark the March thread so you can find us easily. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lenora - people here who have trouble with woodpeckers pecking on their wood sided houses put plastic/resin owls on their roofs. We had a woodpecker who came back every year but only pecked on a huge maple tree that the boys had a rope swing in.

I'll tell DH about that - I think he has a 'fake' owl in his shop.

Guess I will tackle my closet today; get my shoes up off the floor; might need to get a couple of shoe racks. I've got to tackle my other kitchen cabinets; but, most of them hold glasses. Might need to run them through the washer. Need to look and see if I got 4 of Mother's Champaign flutes and if so, send them to my middle sister. I really don't remember even getting them; but, she thinks that I did.

Got to figure out my caloric intake for today. I went over yesterday because we had a 'date night'.''

Lenora
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Thanks to those of you who commented on my punishment by eating. There were food issues in my home growing up so I'm sure that plays a role.

Tammy (?) - I just enjoyed my Banana Cream Overnight Oatmeal that I typically make/pack in a jar. I have lots of those recipes and use them a lot in the summer because I enjoy the cold breakfast (although some folks heat theirs). If you find something spectacular, please let me know. I eat way too many PBJs during the week because I can keep the ingredients at work and that makes it easy.

Saturday, I made a lasagna (probably the second one I've ever made) and froze in individual portions for eating over the next few weeks. The calorie count was much lower than I anticipated. With a good salad, a meal will still come in around 400 calories. I sent two servings home with my daughter. I also made a HUGE (for me) meatloaf. A local grocery store had their meatloaf blend on sale for $3.99 lb which is cheaper than just buying really fat hamburger. I'd never used a meat blend before but it turned out good. I love meatloaf! I love it with veggies for dinner or in sandwiches for lunch. It's all sliced and stored for future consumption! I also cleaned up some in my bedroom which made me feel good.

Yesterday, I went to church which was pretty awesome. We had a large pulpit exchange within the community to enhance unity between traditionally white and traditionally black churches. The pastor we had sang the most amazing rendition of Amazing Grace (not always my favorite hymn)--she did it with huge power but didn't "overdo" any of it--as part of her sermon. I'd love to have her back again! Over lunch, my son and I were discussing the shortcomings of the choice of music that we use in our church. It was in no way mean spirited--we love all of the people involved--but the hymns, etc. are poorly chosen, in general. After church, I sat outside in the sunshine for a good while then later in the evening took a walk in the park. It was only about 1 1/2 miles but it felt good to be out moving! I'm looking forward to the days being long enough that I can go for walks after work.

I finished up my taxes on Saturday. Yay me!!! I called my ex to see if he had an unused code for his tax prep software so that I wouldn't have to pay to file my Federal taxes. He sent that in an email that I got this morning so I can finish up this evening. Except, I will need to file my Federal taxes so that I can use the refund to pay my State taxes. North Carolina changed their tax stuff last year and it hit me HARD! I have alarms set for this morning and this afternoon to change my withholding at both jobs. Because of all of the PT appointments I had, I had somewhere around 4,800 miles of medical mileage to deduct.

My son has decided he's ready to lose the weight he gained after he went to college. He lost 13 pounds last week. Can we say panicked mommy?! I gently suggested to him that he might not be eating enough but he wants no part of calorie counting so I will hold my tongue and try to keep an eye on what he is eating. I do have a huge announcement about him, though. THE BOY CHILD ATE A FULL SERVING OF BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND LIKED THEM! He is supposed to be leaving this weekend to spend the following week in FL with his group from UNC Charlotte. He wanted to know if I would take him to Charlotte next weekend (four hour round trip) because he can't take his fishing rod on the train. I told him I would think about it, but I would also like for him to check into getting a ride to Greensboro with his sister (on her way to work) and then have his dad take him the rest of the way. His dad has the financial resources to easily pay for the gas and a meal out and it would be a hardship on me.

My daughter is enjoying her new job. She has taken a part-time (30 hours per week with benefits) job to give her some breathing space to look for a library job that she really wants instead of having to just grab the first one that comes her way. She also loves having enough money to do more than just make ends meet.

I think I have come out of the dark hole that I was in and I hope to stay here!

This whole post has been about nothing but me, but I do want you to know that I have been reading and praying and cheering for you! You're always in my thoughts!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Carol in sunny and warm NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol: You have lots of good news. I'm happy for you! :heart:
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I agree with Cheri that this is the first thing I do every morning- check in on how everyone is doing, even if I don't personally respond to each and every one of you. And I agree with Carol, I am always thinking about all of you during the day!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Glad to hear all the good stuff from you Carol. :flowerforyou: When you mentioned Amazing Grace I was immediately transported back to the most memorable occasion when I heard it, which was in the pitch blackness of an ice cave under a glacier. We were a little group of maybe eight people, several ordained clergy, a few lay clergy and plain little old me. We went as far as we could get without succumbing to claustrophobia - we crawled and in some places slithered on our bellies because there wasn't space to crawl. When we could go no farther, we sat and admired the ice crystals, then turned off our headlamps and admired the pitch dark. Then our local minister invited people to sing into the darkness, and somebody started in on Amazing Grace. Everyone else joined in. It was magic.

When we emerged from the pitch darkness of the ice cave, the polar night revealed its relative brightness. No sun, no moon that day, but stars everywhere and northern lights glinting off the snow..

After that, whenever I hear Amazing Grace, I get goosebumps.

ADDED LATER: Yeah! I have breakfast with you all, especially since so much of what happens on the West Coast happens after I've gone to bed. :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,716 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

katla - way to go on your feb goals!
    nccarolb - great news on the brussel sprouts. i only started liking them as an adult in my 50's. still don't like raisins tho :0/

we got the doghouse thru the gate, we couldn't lift it so I rolled it there. it was like rolling one of those tractor tires. that thing was solid! had to dismantle it a bit so it could fit thru the new gate. a guy that we gave one of Kirby's bike to came over (he offered) and dug out the stump and dumped some of the stuff into the yard waste bin which was a big help. I did some pressure washing in the rain and sprayed a ladder that Kirby wants to get rid of, put it on craigslist, we'll c if it sells. bought a new dog bed for the kids and tossed the other one out, they were due. got more thyroid meds for Bullwinkle. well kids back to work.

hugs to all those that need it. :0)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

From the time I posted about noon yesterday until I went to bed last night, there were 50 new posts. I read them all but didn’t take any notes. This morning while watching GMA I’ve done 8 sets of push-ups and my 20 minutes of rapid movements. I’ll get in two more sets of push-ups before the day is over. I won’t be doing the kettle bell swings but keeping up with the 100 push-ups a day. DH and I are going out to dinner tonight. I invited him for Sadie Hawkins day. I’ll go online and preplan what I will order and get it logged. Someone asked what fun things we like to do to burn calories. I agree with an answer I saw: Dancing. The nice thing about it is that we can dance while watching TV or cooking or playing with our dog. Almost anything else seems like exercise to me. flamenco.gif
    Janetr, good for you on taking on more exercise. Mary has been a good influence on a number of us. I think you look fantastic but of course it never hurts to look better. Good luck!

Mindy, so good to see you and know you are still with us. I hope things calm down so you can join us more often.

LJ, glad you are feeling better. Even when sick you still have your sense of humor: “Only dry scratchy throat left. I sound like a frog; but it's leap day so that's okay.” big-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kimses
    , glad you like the color that you picked. When DH doesn’t like something I do or cook I usually tell him to feel free to change it. That normally ends the discussion, depending on what it is. He and I seem to have more differences in those type things the longer we are married. smiley-ashamed006.gif

Cheri, glad you are at the end of your treatments. You will have to keep us posted on the workout routine you start. weight-lifting-emoticon.gif I love your leaping frog!

Katla, my DH and I were discussing your goal of learning to fall, just this morning. I wish it were something that could be done but my limited experience with falling tells me I wouldn’t have time to give it a thought. Luckily I haven’t fallen often but when I did it was so fast that I was on the ground going, “what just happened” before I could blink an eye. My goal is to never fall again. You ended up very lucky with your wrist. When I broke mine, I was in a cast for 8 weeks and then the brace for a few weeks longer. Not to mention it hurt when I broke it. sling.gif

Carol,NC, I’m glad your post was about you because we wanted to know! So happy for the good news and I hope it works out for you not to have to make the trip to Charlotte. I am really happy that you think you have come out of the dark hole. (((((Hugs)))))

Penny, I love your story about Amazing Grace. I love that song anyway. I do have to say that ya’ll went waaaayyy past what would have been my point of “succumbing to claustrophobia”. Love that you have breakfast with us.

Pip, I hope the kids slept well with the new bed. Ya’ll are really getting things fixed up around there! How long have you been in that house?

Heather, I am so impressed and amazed how you can talk so lovingly about your father. You are definitely a special person! How is the book coming along?

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC