WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    :D This really does not look like a 'laughing face' if you ask me. LOL!
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Damitjanit

Went to Nassau. St Thomas and St martin.

Got off at each stop had a good time at each. Went to Atlantis in Nassau did all the water slides a little bruised but it was fun. At least I can say I did it.

Sharing a room and bed was the toughest part but I survived.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Miriam ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Beth
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Barbie....our fearless leader. I know her dedication to exercising and eating healthy. Glad to have found this site and love there are others that are so welling to cheer each other on. Again looking for some encouragement and hoping this will remotivate me to get back on the healthy living and exercise trail. Finally a down on my scale this am. Just maybe walking 2 miles 3 out of 5 days has worked. Definitely needed this !! Onward we go ladies.....

Diane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the birthday wishes. My garden gave me a present today! The first blooms of the season- yellow crocuses!

Cheri, love love love the afghans!

Leonora, iris are actually supposed to just sit on top of the soil. The roots all grow out of the bottom. If you don't like the look, you can cover the rhizomes with just a thin layer of soil or mulch. And be sure to cut them off in the fall. Root borers lay eggs in the leaves and when they hatch, the larvae migrate down to the roots to feed all winter. So if you cut off the foliage a couple of inches from the bottom, you cut out the eggs. Most people cut them off in a fan shape.

Those photos of my garden are just a couple from 2010. We have had several years of drought in the summer, so my garden is not looking quite so lush now. And since the girls came in June of 2013 I have not had the money for mulch, so it is very weedy. I think this year I am going to have to break down and buy a truckload (it is cheaper but more work to spread).

Yes Carol, I live beside a Methodist church. I grew up beside the Episcopal church in Nashville- my dad was the Reverend. So it felt like coming home when I bought the house. The only downside is the occasional funeral. I don't feel it is respectful to be out in my yard working or playing when there is one, and there is no parking. Otherwise I love it.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    too tired from the concert last night to read more than a couple of pages-- Happy Birthday Miriam and I love your garden!
    Will try to catch up later...but I had a happy time last night!
    Betty
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,807 Member
    Options
    have pandora on, and have all the rogers and hammerstien on playing.. ahh the memories
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Today I am binge-watching the final season of Downton Abbey and eating the last of the fresh produce in my house that DS won't eat while we're gone. Luckily my hands are also feeling good, so I just might finish the poncho I was hoping to wear in Reno. Almost completely packed, which is WAY out of my norm, but change is good. I probably won't be able to read much for the next 10+ days, since I need to get my work prepped for whomever will be in my spot while gone. I hope you all feel my virtual hugs while I'm gone.

Terri in Milwaukee (heading to Reno on Tuesday)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    Miriam

Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Today I am binge-watching the final season of Downton Abbey and eating the last of the fresh produce in my house that DS won't eat while we're gone. Luckily my hands are also feeling good, so I just might finish the poncho I was hoping to wear in Reno. Almost completely packed, which is WAY out of my norm, but change is good. I probably won't be able to read much for the next 10+ days, since I need to get my work prepped for whomever will be in my spot while gone. I hope you all feel my virtual hugs while I'm gone.

Have a great time. Let us know about it all when you get back.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Allison and Betty ~ So glad you both had a great time at the concerts.

JKL ~ I loved seeing the waves coming in off of Lake Michigan. I had no idea a lake could produce such waves. It looked almost like the pier was under water.

Had the two grands, their mom, and her mom over for hamburgers today after church. They have been so busy, I haven't seen them since January. The burgers got grease all over...Ugh!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Katla - Love salmon. <3 We have it every five days or so. Your stir fry sounds delish. <3

Cheri, Katla - My father was a great crocheter. He made beautiful clothes for me and my babies. One of the wonderful things he made was a cot blanket for my first baby. I handed it over to DDIL for her babies and it is currently out as a favourite snuggle blanket on the sofa in their living room. I expect they will use it for the new baby. It is cream cotton with a leaf pattern done in a four leaf star . My father was A VERY NICE MAN, the subject of my autobiography, but he sexually abused me throughout my childhood. He made ceramics that I still treasure, did life drawings and tapestry and was a very good cook, especially of patisserie. Everyone loved him, including me. I was not his only victim.

Terri - Buen viaje! <3

Our chilli was gorgeous. Even better, we have three more meals to freeze. :D Don't you just love that. :drinker:

My cancer friend rang me this afternoon. We had a lovely long chat. She has booked herself a week's trip to Turkey in April. On her own. Good for her. As she said, what is she saving her money for? :drinker: She said I was her inspiration as I had been on solo holidays. :)

I have booked the last of our hotels in Spain. Two nights in Granada. I treated us to a room with a view of the Alhambra. :bigsmile: Joyce, get your Google going. <3

Love to all, Heather UK

PS - just heard my friend has booked us in for River Cottage Canteen on Wednesday. Do you have Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall on your TV? Nice, healthy food. :D

• joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pip - The new fence looks lovely. Great job!

Penny - Enjoyed looking at your photos of Spitbergen.

Peach, Lillian, and Katia - I am going through the same issues with my relative who I had to move into assisted living. She left her home exactly as it was and she goes back to visit occasionally, although she now only has one neighbor left who lived there when she did. She has recently given the OK to get her house ready to put on the market, but it was not very well maintained over the last 20 years, due to the illnesses of her and her husband. Just had a big plumbing job where a pipe had totally disintegrated and part of an inside wall had to be taken out to access it and put in a replacement. I fear it may not be cost-effective to repair everything. I am planning to hire an appraiser to give his (more than) two cents' worth. Has anyone had experience with this?

Heather - Was wondering if you could please offer a recommendation on a hotel in the King's Cross area of London? I am planning a very short trip over at the end of April. I would be very appreciative of your suggestions.

I joined the Y here a couple of weeks ago to start getting more exercise into my schedule. I have been doing the yoga, Pilates, and other stretching-type exercises to start with and increasing the number of classes each week. One thing that has been very helpful so far was learning how to use a foam roller to work out tight muscles.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Kate in AL
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,
    Cheri, your work is beautiful. I think the Temperature Afghan is such a cool idea. Do you end up with dates on it anywhere?
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Some of the others doing a Temperature Afghan are marking the months with a special stitch or color. I am not doing that just one day after another. It's actually 3 rows now (that was a beginning pic) and I will post a new one soon.

Thanks for all the compliments! Have been crocheting since I was quite young. Very relaxing for me.

Enjoy the rest of your day ladies.

Cheri
    in windy, sunny, warm Fairlawn, oHIo
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Belated happy birthday Miriam. I'm in a different time zone so I'm not sure whether it's still your birthday or not, but in this case, it's the thought that counts. I see your garden and immediately start thinking about how happy bees and butterflies would be there. So much variety! It's nothing like the evil monoculture of a standard lawn. Trickier to keep up, though.

Cheri, I'm tickled by the idea of a temperature afghan, of letting the weather decide how your end result will look. I can imagine looking at it years later, seeing a certain row and thinking about that cold spell back in '16. Mine might end up rather monotonous though. Our temperature is often about the same at noon and at midnight because the sun either just rolls around the sky somewhere above the horizon (in the summer), or there's no sun at all (in the winter).

Katla - You tell me to enjoy the sun while I can see the light. The day after I get back home it will be March 8, the official Sun Day, when sunrays hit the stairs of the old hospital for the first time that year (given clear weather). After that it's just a couple weeks until it's light 24/7 and will stay that way until late September. I'll get tired of the light! Still, that's part of the charm of the High North. And here, for your viewing enjoyment, is another picture of my "town", taken on warm day in early May, looking north from halfway up the valley. When this picture was taken we had already had midnight sun for about three weeks.
    lbt6s38ufqq8.jpg

But here in Stockholm the sun goes up and down every single day. (Imagine that!) Lots of Stockholmers were out enjoying a sunny spring Sunday today and I had to dodge between them when I went out jogging. I usually leave my bike at my old workplace - a safe place to stash it when I'm not here - so I jogged there to pick it up. The bike should come in handy for commuting to the lecture venue this coming week. I think it's about 5 miles away but on a different subway line so I can save a lot of time by biking instead of taking public transport. And I get my exercise "free of charge". And if I'm lucky I'll hear the blackbirds!

Time for me to get my stuff organized for an early start tomorrow.
    /Penny, not currently at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »

Terri - have a wonderful time. The weather should be great. We will miss you a lot :)

Janetr OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,358 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Kate in AL - Kings Cross is a very expensive area to stay in. I stayed at a Premiere Inn, St Pancras, last November and found it perfectly ok with good sound insulation, helpful staff, but not cheap. It was the newest of their chain around there, so the quietest. Look on Trip Advisor for more choices, reviews, and the best rates. Just put London, Kings Cross hotels into their search engine.
    I hope you have a lovely time. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Single ladies, tomorrow your day!! You can ask someone for marriage, totally proper.
    Miriam. Happy birthday, lovely garden!
    Next Sunday the end of downton, will need therapy! Love Maggie Smith, have you seen her in lady in the van?
    Awards this eve, haven't seen one of the movies. Fun to see what they are wearing, or not.