WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    littlewomensmom - I hear what you are saying about the exercise and I hope this will give you some relief in knowing that 80% of losing weight is in what you eat. The 20% exercise is important in that it keeps you strong and healthy - however it doesn't have to be what some of our awesome sisters on here are able to do. I've lost almost a 100 pounds with walking and swimming. I have wanted to start weight training for sometime and doing the wall pushups is my first step. It's not how hard you train it's that you do what you can when you can. Here's a little ditty I like - You Can't Outrun Your Fork!

On another note here is a link to an article I read today on triggering the happiness chemicals in our brains: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-23924/the-brain-chemicals-that-make-you-happy-and-how-to-trigger-them.html
  • jazzypdx
    jazzypdx Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Hope everyone had a wonderful Saturday. Only worked 5 hours today at my Tax season job(just Friday &Sat), tomorrow is my Monday at my real job. I did errands, laundry, some housework. I also went and bought a Fitbit, data and accountability to myself right on my wrist! Charged it and now planning to head to PF for treadmill, do the 30 min circuit(if kids aren't playing in it) and more treadmill. For eating healthier at work I am trying a Mason jar project - I bought oatmeal, 10 grain cereal, almonds, walnuts, cranberries, mango, blueberries and some different "milks" to build some breakfast jars/lunch jars for work.
    I look forward to the start of the new month, new thread so I can keep up, and be supportive of everyone.
    Tammy/jazzypdx in Oregon
  • jazzypdx
    jazzypdx Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Becca n Janet you both beat your enemies with class and finality!!!
    I loved doing pottery , been years but I still have some my pieces left, hand/slab built mostly and onone little wheel dish. Lucky ladies to have studios/kilns. It is so relaxing, I am envious.
    Have a blessed Sunday everyone!
    Tammy/jazzypdx in Portland, OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,351 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    Thanks Gloria for that nice reminder. :D<3

Kim, KJ - for the mushroom soup I didn't use a recipe, but I think I had around 8 oz of chestnut button mushrooms and around a pint of homemade stock. I had a tiny amount of dried porcini left in a packet so I soaked those in a bit of hot water. I found a couple of new potatoes in the bottom of the fridge, around 5 or 6 oz , so I peeled those and chopped them small. I had an onion and three or four cloves of garlic. So I cooked the potato for maybe 10 mins in the stock. Meantime I gently melted the onion and garlic in around a teaspoon of butter (for flavour) in a frying pan. I threw the soaked porcini and the soaking water into the cooking potatoes and let them all cook away together for around another 5 mins. Then I added the sliced button mushrooms to the frying pan and made sure it all cooked down to a nice mushroomy mess. I seasoned the mushrooms. The mushrooms took a while to cook down. This stage is the most important to develop the mushroom flavour. Then I put the mushroom mixture into the potato mixture and let it simmer for a short while. Then I blended it all up with a stick blender and adjusted the seasoning. Served it up , makes 2 large portions, to my grateful husband and me for lunch.I added a small blob of half fat creme fraiche on serving. Depending on how low fat your stock is I reckon around 200 cals each at most, probably less. You could use more, or less, butter, but I do think it helps with the flavour.
    I'm going to make it for my DSIL next time she comes, because she loves soup, often chooses mushroom soup when we go out, and then is disappointed because it isn't mushroomy enough. The very small amount of dried porcini is a huge help. (I get them from Amazon as dried ceps)

Off to wake my DH with a kiss and a cup of tea and follow Gloria's instructions about oxytocin. :D

Heather UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Hi motivated I'm Gloria. Not sure why you are not seeing anything past 2/1 as there are messages all the way up to the 28th. Maybe you are in the January thread? Search for women ages 50+ February.

We are a big group of women who are all on a journey to better health but share our lives with each other also.

Welcome!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Well, friends, I've just sent off an email to the graphics artist who's in charge of making the final corrections in the proofs I've been struggling with for the past week. She will send it all to the printer tomorrow and I will send a nice fat bill to the consortium of research institutes that commissioned the 120-page annual magazine. It feels so good to send out an invoice corresponding to about a fifth of my expected yearly income. Feels even better to cross one more item off my list - which is now starting to look manageable.

I'm delighted to see a few new half-marathon runners joining the group. Now that my to-do list is back within my comfort zone, I hope to get back on track with my own training. If everything goes according to plan I'll be running the Spitsbergen half-marathon on June 4.

Heather - nice to see you borrowed Orions belte. Don't feel bad about not understanding more than 6 words. I think I mentioned how difficult it was to catch all that mumbled Norwegian. Despite having lived in Norway for a decade and seeing the film half a dozen times, I have trouble with it. Anyway, it's a film I look at for the scenery, the glimpses of places and ships I know well, and - not least - the cries of the arctic terns!

I forget who asked why I travel so much, and if it's business or pleasure. Let's call it both, this time. I'm teaching a course in Stockholm this week (in scientific writing) but I'll also be seeing the grandchildren. :heart:

But there's another thing: I don't actually travel as much as it may seem. I live in a place you essentially can't leave without flying. Every time I go anywhere it looks as though it's a major undertaking, but for me it's more like hopping on the city bus. (Granted, a lot more expensive.)

In addition, Europe is much smaller than many of you over there in the vast expanses of North America realize. Popping down to Stockholm probably didn't take me longer than it did for Michele to pop down to Florida, and a lot less time than Allie's trip to the same destination. When Heather tootles over to Paris it's about the same distance as from LA to Vegas or New York to Boston. No big deal.

Okay, I promised some pictures. Three days ago I saw the year's first sunlight on the mountaintops in the north. It was so exciting I stopped and pulled out my cell phone to capture it. And I saw lots of other people doing the same thing.
    le6t43hllpu3.jpg

Then two days ago I flew to Stockholm. Here's a picture of the mountains of southern Spitsbergen basking in the first sunlight. It was taken from the plane and the windows weren't very clean. Please excuse the spots.
    ev3n9gzlo902.jpg

In all that glorious whiteness there are polar bears and a truly magnificent silence. Here in Stockholm, there's lots of traffic noise, but bright sunshine and maybe a couple degrees above freezing. So I'm going out jogging!
    /Penny, currently missing the emoticon-object-026.gif

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    morning all~
    we less than 6 hours sleep, but what a great concert it was..I heard the encore friday night he did another 13 songs, but since it was about an hour and 20 minutes away we left when he said his first goodbyes. were we were sitting it was very very steep and the stairs had no hand rails.. which freaked alot of us older people out.. but that is done.
    we will go down and feed DFIL and then come home and probably relax as it was a late night..
    Hidee Ho to all the newbies and will come chat later...
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Penny - Beautiful photos! :flowerforyou: In fact I bought Orion's Belte, which is why there are no subtitles, as it wasn't available for hire. It does have the English spoken version as an option, plus an extra DVD with out takes etc, so I have further to go. I already feel so familiar with all that ice and snow, cabins and hairy faces that I shall feel quite at home when I arrive. We are also watching an Icelandic series on TV, called Trapped, which is not the same language, but a lot of Scandinavian vibe. :D If anyone has any teenagers then TROLL HUNTER is great fun. Sort of Blair Witch.

Making a HUGE chilli today to have for dinner and to freeze. My last effort was the best ever, so I have high expectations. ;) Having it with roasted butternut squash and cavalo nero (kale). I used some dried Mexican smoked chillies that DH bought me for Christmas. B)

Going to finish reading the Saturday paper and watch a French film while DH is upstairs watching football.
    I have two birthday cards to write and post. One for my friend and one for my niece, into which I will secrete a cheque. I have always given nephews and nieces presents (money) until they are 18 and then that's it, unless I am invited to a party. My niece, who has just come back from a photography trip to NYC is 17 on Wednesday.

Love to all, Heather UK

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Sunday! Welcome newbies! IF you read through, there are many wonderfully active and supportive women on this page! Some of us post our exercise/health maintenance stats in our posts. Many of us walk daily. I will be 50 this year, run a home childcare M-F (22 years of this), I am beginning to be active again after an ankle injury a year ago. An injury that should have taken six months to heal, actually took a year or more due to the fact that I am on my feet all day. Married with children (ages 22, 26, 29). I am new to this thread (Jan. of this year) but I can vouch for the support of these ladies. What happens in our lives has an effect on our health. Sometimes it feels good to vent, or tell our troubles to an unbiased audience that will either soothe or give us the kick in the a** that we really need. Sometimes we get both! Anyway, great group here!

Heather- your mushroom soup recipe sounds very similar to mine, different mushrooms used. Spring is coming and the morels will be popping up soon. Spring is the best time to make mushroom soup because of those little gems! Have fun with your Oxytocin loading! >:)<3

Gloria-love the article about Happiness! I have always told my DH; happiness comes from inside yourself. Where you are or what is going on doesn't have to dictate how happy you are. I think I am going to print and post the article inside his closet or cupboard so he can actively pursue happiness!

Allie - So glad you had fun at the concert! I can just see you smiling and dancing to "Friends in low places" and thinking of all of us! Late nights are SO hard though, if you are used to getting up early and being on a schedule! Restful Sunday to you!

Penny
    - Gorgeous pictures! I was the curious one about you and what you do, etc.! I have a list about a mile long of places I want to go before I die! This travel bucket list gets longer and longer...I think I just need to win the Lottery and spend my days traveling the world. Maybe this will be my March goal? Win the lottery.

Tammy- I have done the mason jar salads. Let us know how the oatmeal works out! Always love a new option for brown bag breakfast and lunch!

Anne- Welcome back! We missed you and like many of the others, you were on my mind often this past week! I think a 2 pound gain after a week on a cruise is fantastic! Let's face it, part of vacation is having a drink or two and trying/eating foods that you don't normally eat and just relaxing! Two pounds is nothing! Hopefully the good moments outweigh the bad and I hope you can hold those moments of peace and relaxation (maybe the memory of just sitting by the pool?) and pull them up and use them when you need them!

Swimming- I love the manatee meme! I can't remember who posted it, I know Katla and Gloria commented on it. Swimming is NOT a choice for weight loss! I think of swimming more as zero impact exercise and strength training. I use the pool to give my feet and ankles a work out and to make/keep them strong. I find when I stop swimming, my feet and ankles will suffer first! Swimming laps is great cardio, though. It really gets your heart pumping! Our hs football team uses the pool to run races in hip high water and strengthen their legs and hearts! My DH said that they did the same at his school back in the day! YES! Swimming makes me eat more. The key is to pick the right things to eat! I usually swim then have some protein and some green veg. Like a chicken breast on a green salad or a big side of broccoli.

Crock pot recipes- Can't remember who posted about these. I am always searching for crock pot recipes. I like to use allrecipes.com. I have tried a few I have found on Pinterest and they have been total BOMBS! :(

http://surfgrandhaven.com/ Here is a link to the surf cam that is going 24/7. It is aimed at the Grand Haven State Park and pier on Lake Michigan. If you hold up your left hand in front of you, palm facing out, (yes, in Lower Peninsula Michigan we show where we live on our hand), Grand Haven would be just below where your pinkie begins on the edge of your hand. Yesterday was beautiful, sunny, and in the high 50's. I walked the boardwalk and the pier, but I forgot my camera so I couldn't take any pics. Today promises to be a windy, with a little sun, not quite as warm as yesterday, but warm for the end of February.

Enjoy your day! The sun is up and out and I am going for a walk! <3 love and hugs to you all!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday, 58. We sing in the choir today, and Emily and I missed practice so it will be tough! Later this afternoon, the fellow from Africa that I have been chatting with is coming out to my house. The weather has turned wonderful this weekend, so I spent four hours cleaning up in my yard yesterday, mostly raking but also cutting off dead plant parts. My girls helped by hauling off the tarp to the burn pile when it got full. There is still a lot left to do (I have a lot and a half and it is ALL flower beds with a path of grass), so after church I am going to head out again. I told the fellow from Africa, Gueti, to wear work clothes- I would probably be in my yard when he showed up. We will have pizza from the local fast food store for dinner- at least he and the kids will. I will probably end up with a big bowl of veggies. Working in my yard is the very best way to spend a birthday in my opinion.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    happy birthday MIRIAM!

<3
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday, 58. We sing in the choir today, and Emily and I missed practice so it will be tough! Later this afternoon, the fellow from Africa that I have been chatting with is coming out to my house. The weather has turned wonderful this weekend, so I spent four hours cleaning up in my yard yesterday, mostly raking but also cutting off dead plant parts. My girls helped by hauling off the tarp to the burn pile when it got full. There is still a lot left to do (I have a lot and a half and it is ALL flower beds with a path of grass), so after church I am going to head out again. I told the fellow from Africa, Gueti, to wear work clothes- I would probably be in my yard when he showed up. We will have pizza from the local fast food store for dinner- at least he and the kids will. I will probably end up with a big bowl of veggies. Working in my yard is the very best way to spend a birthday in my opinion.

Happy Birthday hope you have a wonderful day filled with joy and happiness.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore
    Thank you for the thoughts while I was gone. It was tough at times but I survived.

Bought myself a Michael Kors bag and a bracelet from Tiffanys. Never spend money on myself. He previously bought me a necklace from there. They are going to replace the heart on it so I don't have to walk around with his love message on the back of it so that was a relief.

While I was gone we had a issue with wind apparently missing some siding and have some gutters hanging off need to call insurance company today and call on Monday to get some estimates.

Going to try and hold my head up high today a make the day a positive one.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Miriam starting to think about gardening. I need ideas for rabbit resist plants. We have tons of them right now. They destroyed a 40 year old hedge this winter. Yes the diva hedge. So as I plant I need things they are less likely to chow upon. Next spring will probably put up a fence. We are getting ductless AC this spring so fencing will probably have to wait. Besides it is going to be quite the project just to clear out that hedge.

:heart: Margaret
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »

Went to see my mom in the nursing home on Friday and while there went by her house and cleaned out the pantry. Every single thing had to be tossed as it was all out of date. She had cans that should have gone in 2006. The garbage men will have a job tossing all that in the truck.

Carol ~ Ga

EEEKkkk - I am working on my mom's house too!! I have all the food out now. good thing my brother next door has a large waste bin. We have filled it a couple times already. Our parents collected or kept a lot things, they were from that era that didn't throw away things - because you may need it, even if it was missing a part.

Lillian
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Miriam! :flowerforyou: <3<3<3

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Miriam !!!! Hope you have an awesome day xoxox