WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    Hello Marcelyn! Wowsa 11....you must be so proud, and uber spoiling them all.

The amazing thing is that although none of my kids were living at home when we moved to Houston they now all live within 15 miles of me. The 11 grandkids ages and gender are (note there are no multiple births in the family):

9 - boy
    8 - girl
    8 - girl
    8 - girl
    6 - boy
    4 - boy
    4 - boy
    2 - girl
    2 - girl
    2 - boy
    1 - boy

Isn't that wild! Every Sunday the family is at my house for lunch and so it gets a bit crazy! It's great though.

Thats awesome! They don't make you cook everything though.....I would be stressing every Saturday night!!!
    Becca
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Denkko wrote: »
    Hello. I've never posted to this community before. I turned 60 in November and it seems like my metabolism came to a grinding halt the very same day. Very disheartening. My extremely stressful job finds me reaching for the wine bottle instead of the barbells when i get home in the evenings. Until recently i was an avid hiker. My husband and i plan to climb the highest peak in Texas April 11, and I'm worried i won't be ready. I need motivation to get out and walk or jog at least 3 times a week. Help!!!!!

Have you mention this to your husband? How long since your hiking days? Hate to say this but April isn't far away. Do you think you have enough time? Good luck! Gayle
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,387 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a walk at home DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do an extreme pilates DVD at the condo.

Becca - isn't the sides of the thread where the evil Oreos and Ding Dongs are???

Sylvia - how wonderful that hubby broke down!

Welcome everyone new!

Heather - you're a riot

barbie - when I went to see my friend yesterday, she was telling me that she got a series of 6 shots in her knee, it will probably take about 6 weeks to work (that I didn't totally understand) but what it was injections of cartilage since she has bone-on-bone. I'd never heard of something like this. She wasn't sure how long it would last

Went to the Publix to get a newspaper. They did have 100% whole wheat breadcrumbs. Right now I have to get the panco and put that in my food processor, so I got the two canisters they had and I'll take them home. Also got some ice cream (the Arctic Zero) that I'll probably finish before we leave. Vince actually suggested we try this one restaurat tonight! He's not usually a person to go out, maybe him having to schlep me all over the place is having an effect on him?????

One of our cats had cancer (actually, 3 of them died from it), Vince was bound and determined that we were going to give it chemo. I honestly didn't agree with it, he would get so sick and at times just go behind the dresser to be alone. I refused to force feed him, Vince and Jessica saw nothing wrong with it. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

DJ - that lady in the mirror must make the rounds each morning because she comes to my house, too.

Mary - I am so impressed with your consistency to your exercise

We went out to dinner, tried this new restaurant here. Not sure what the calories were. I did get the broiled fish/scallops/shrimp, a side salad (no dressing, just lettuce, tomatos, and what I think were craisins) and a baked potato. Just water to drink. I think I did pretty good on my choices (except for that biscuit with butter -- at least it was only one!!!)

Vince is trying hard to get me out. He knows that I'm someone who is constantly on the go and this sitting at home is killing me. But...this too shall pass. I love him for trying.

Vince did say tonight that he wants to go to Brusters (ice cream) one night. The last time we went I remember being sorry that I didn't bring a piece of fruit with me, so I'll bring one this time. He also suggested that maybe we'll go bowling Monday.

We just talked about possibly staying at the condo longer (another year). He suggested that perhaps we could come down early in Feb. and stay the full month. But this is just talking right now.

Irish Terri - welcome back!

Karen - what a great NSV. Wish I was told "you're too skinny". Never had that joy. When you make your apple pie, do you make a full top crust (versus a crumb topping or lattice work)

pip - love that t-shirt! Good looking fence! Are you just going to keep it the natural wood?

katla - so glad you don't have any saddlesores

motivated - I don't know what you mean by you don't see anything past Feb. 1. We are a very chatty group. We talk about everything, our ups, downs, successes, everything.

I think we should all start calling Becca Earl!!! lol

Michele from NC now in FL
  • Annr
    Options
    eeeeeeeeeekkkkk I see them......I AM HOOVERING THE HO HO'S PRESENTLY....with the machine I have downloaded...sheesh I know you think I am eating the cute little beautiful round discs of hea....*slapping myself into reality".....en....wowsa..
    Becca
    your domestic goddess
    in humble service....in
    Oregon
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Becca – Good ‘bird’ … mine would have looked like this: ‘’|’’ (turn it upside down). You get this pix?

Marcelynh - We have 3 biological DGDs and one that came as a ‘package deal’ when our DYS married her Mama. She’s a pistol Pete! Does a lot of stuff after school and keeps them hopping. We’re ‘hoping’ and ‘praying’ for a biological grandchild from them; but, we are not doing any ‘nagging’. They’re both 37. I kept dreaming they had ‘twins’. Funny thing, son was doing the same; when I dreamed they had ‘triples’ … we stopped ‘laughing’ so much about it. They say, that as a mother gets older the chance of a multiple birth increases. Said that she ‘thought’ she could handle twins; but, if she had more, then we’d have to come visit more often and stay awhile. It’s nice that each has a cousin to play with that is the same sex.

Hello "newbies" - come often - post a lot so we'll get to know you.

Watching the 'black' whatever they call it ... for musicians/singers. Watching the Jackson 5; makes you wonder why all the really good 'artists' die so young, Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Elvis, Otis Redding, Michael Jackson. Such a waste. I guess $$$, traveling so much, bad (greedy) people trying to micro-manage their lives.

Lenora
  • Annr
    Options
    wait the EARL of Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    sorry....I am avoiding the kitchen presently. There is a pan of teriyaki chicken and scalloped potatoes....soo.... Earlier my husband caught me taking out the individual container of white cake with white buttercream frosting and pink curls....so he said "no". I told him, "I'm just going to have a bite". He looked at me sternly saying, No. I got the stupid cake from the food bank....last thing I should've picked up, but I did.
    So in a BLINK of an eye I opened the container and jammed the cake down the disposal. *long sigh* He did that from a caring place, not trying to be mean. I know that. I wanted that cake, so now I am here, sipping coffee and decompressing.
    Becca
    feeling stressed in
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    motivated672, we are a very varied bunch of ladies, most of us over 50, from all walks of life, some retired, some working. We also are in many different stages of our healthy life style. some are at goal weight and are in maintinence, some are just starting, some are trudging along and then there are those of us, like me, that are struggling. But e never lose sight of the the goal. As you see we like to talk!!!!! Life affects our diet, our diet affects life so it all goes together. Barbie starts a new thread at the end of this month so watch for that.

Went to the store again tonight, am trying desperately to find something to pep Charlie's appetite up. He loves those Swiss cake rolls and I hate them. That chocolate covering is so waxy! So I knew it was safe to get those. He also wanted some pie. So there was a package of 2 pieces of Coconut cream pie in the freezer section. Was expensive, $2.48 but he is worth it so I got that to. So that is what he ate after supper. I was shocked at how small it was and he said it was so super sweet he couldn't eat it. Had me try it. I tried to back out of it but he had me take a tiny morsel taste and oh my it was so good. And not sweet. I did not finish it and i think he threw it away. You will all be proud of me. Tonight was my 4th night in a row of cooking at home although tonight was a gather leftovers and put on table. Tomorrow will be also. I am going to have to get the crock pot out. Easy recipes??????

Welcome to all the newcomers. We welcome you and look forward to getting to know you.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Annr
    Options
    Joyce, Indiana Salute' my coffee to you!
    Becca
    getting back to cleaning the white part....
    Oregon
    saying *HAAA* on the screen and buffing....
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,701 Member
    Options
    Exermom - gonna clear stain them when the weather eases up
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    :smiley:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,799 Member
    Options
    Just checking in,on our way home from the concert.thought of y'all when garth sang friends in low places..up WAY past bedtime :s
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good night, everyone! I felt more like myself today than I have in a long time. It felt good!

Hugs all around!

Carol in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: The new fence is wonderful! Congratulations!!! :star:

Marley: Tell us where you volunteer. If you mentioned it before I must have missed it. :flowerforyou:

Newbies: We're regulars on MFP. Some of us are actively losing weight and others, like me, have reached their goals. Some of us stick around for the encouragement that helps us keep from falling back into old bad habits. :smiley: I need to give you warning that this thread will end in two days. Barbie will start a new one for March and will put a link at the bottom of this thread. We usually start the month by reviewing our personal goals and reporting how we did. Then people make goals for the new month. My own goals haven't changed in a very long time. They work for me, and I use them month after month. :heart:

Sylvia: Hilarious photo! I know there are several swimmers here, but I wouldn't choose it as a method to lose weight for myself. I get cold in the water, and then I eat to warm up. And eat. AND EAT. :embarassed:

Denkko: Welcome to a great group. We can help with encouragement but the desire for change comes from you. I hope you'll join us to both get and give support. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: I absolutely agree that logging is the only way to be self-accountable and achieve success. :bigsmile:

I had a great time burning 514 calories at my riding lesson today. I haven't talked about how many calories it takes to ride for an hour or two, but I am here to shout from the rooftops that exercise can be fun and burn loads of calories all at the same time. I am quite sure that Pip knows this truth and so does Barbie. So I'll leave a question to think about--how do you have fun and burn calories at the same time? :huh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Read and got interrupted and read and interrupted… so if my comments are disjointed I’m sorry! Had company for 3 days, managed to log but not to chat. Still baby-ing my arm, but it is getting much better, rest is the “wonder drug”. I made good but healthy things for my friend and I while she was here, she was funny about it, we are both trying to eat healthy but she told me she NEVER cooks or eats healthy with company and was very surprised I was… I told her I was surprised she didn’t especially when there are some excellent choices that are not just dry salad…each to their own, I did over do with wine one night, but other wise stayed close to calorie goals.

Kat, Jean9had , Tracij625, Marcelyn- Welcome!

Joyce – you are giving a great gift to Charlie by doing the cooking and fitting in all the good food choices!

Alison – oh my there are so many important things in the world – microwaving the dogs food is NOT one of them.

Kimses – CONGRATS on the new job!!!!

Mary - Levi and I did 2 6 week rounds of doggie school at the local pet store then 1 8 week session with a trainer that specialized in “reactive” dogs, and he is better, but as he is a rescue with a pretty abusive past it would take a ton more to get him to the next step and it is just more than I can afford, so I just work my world around having him near other dogs.

Janetr – great that the new Doc is a fit as for your mammo – just get it done!

Pip – cute key chain and it lights up!!!

Cheri – a profile pic! Great pic!

Sylvia – I love your idea of a featured artist – you might do a featured artist and featuring a special needs artist each time

Barbie - I am so glad that you and Jake have talked about and agreed on future choices regarding Brandy, but so sad you will have to face this… it is always hard, as our pets become such a part of the family.

Heather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can I have the mushroom soup recipe?

Little Women – I’m not sure about you, but the intense cardio can be hard on other parts than just backs… as we get older it seems that sometimes choices have to be made. I log my food, walk and do yoga and that worked very well, I’m at a bit of a stagnate place right now, but now it will work again!

Pip – Loved the walk about your home! It is a cute place!

Annie – Welcome home!!!

Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies made it back from my cruise it was great at times and full of tears at others. Still in limbo regarding the relationship but it is what it is. Ate well for the most part actually put on two lbs but that is good with my current situation. So many posts while I was gone tried to read some of them but I am sure I missed some.

Welcome newbies this is a great group of ladies. Full of support and caring.

Anne from Wisconsin

I'm glad you at least got to enjoy some of your cruise time. Now its time to put yourself first and do what is best for you and makes you happy.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    sorry....I am avoiding the kitchen presently. There is a pan of teriyaki chicken and scalloped potatoes....soo.... Earlier my husband caught me taking out the individual container of white cake with white buttercream frosting and pink curls....so he said "no". I told him, "I'm just going to have a bite". He looked at me sternly saying, No. I got the stupid cake from the food bank....last thing I should've picked up, but I did.
    So in a BLINK of an eye I opened the container and jammed the cake down the disposal. *long sigh* He did that from a caring place, not trying to be mean. I know that. I wanted that cake, so now I am here, sipping coffee and decompressing.
    Becca
    feeling stressed in
    Oregon

Way to go Earl of Becca. I did that with pizza the other night for the first time in my life. Jack ordered a medium pizza I ate one piece, he had three and there sat the rest. I can eat cold pizza for breakfast (or any time). So I asked if he was done with it and picked it up and took it clear outside to the trash. Think I surprised Jack as much as myself.

Janetr OKC (subject to the Earl)

• janetr7476
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    Good night, everyone! I felt more like myself today than I have in a long time. It felt good!

Hugs all around!

Carol in NC

Carol, so glad to hear that. We miss you and your wit. Please keep coming back and sharing as you feel you can. Big hugs back to you, sweetie.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Kim wrote - "Janetr – great that the new Doc is a fit as for your mammo – just get it done!"

Yes maam, have it scheduled for Wednesday morning. So next week looks like this...Monday A.M., bariatric surgeon for 2 yr post surgery check up, Tuesday A.M. eye doc to check on the progression of the macular degeneration and Wednesday A.M. to the local community hospital for the mammogram. This happened when I moved them all to February cuz I was in AZ. That only leaves the dentist which is not until the latter part of March. :)

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota