WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Miriam - love the pictures of your yard.

Pip - your fence is very nice. Fences add such appeal (and value ) to yards. I don't get a fence ... only a 2 mile shelterbelt of pine, spruce, poplar and choke cherries. My cousin lives in town and has a caged cat walk along her fence for her cat to get its fresh air and exercise without bothering the neighbours.

My DGD came for a sleepover yesterday while her parents went ice fishing. She is such a little busy girl (2 1/2 yrs old) She missed her afternoon nap.... or grandma forgot ...lol. So she is putting in a 12 hour sleep while I catch up on everyone here... We were too busy yesterday - outside feeding the birds and pets. Tobogganing and sweeping snow off the step.

On the agenda today .... as much walking as I can get in and more sticker art.....

Welcome all the newbies.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Miriam! Blessings for a wonderful year ahead!

Love your garden yard. It is exactly what I picture an English Country garden to be!

Cheri
    oHIo
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    happy birthday mirriam what a lovely way to spend your birthday...enjoy :)

michele my aple pie is double crust, butter not crisco, i only eat the apples, dd loves the crust! She is still a little unsettled stomach wise so we will see if she improves enough to eat it.

anne great that you are staying positive and you faced this cruise and it is behind you, sounds like you are moving forward.

Cant believe we are about to turn the page on february, i say hooray and hurry up spring. As a newbie gardener, i love the "lets try this approach". This year i am starting seedlings of all sorts inside, also going to use more planters and containers for gardening.

Hurry up spring <3
    Karen from ny
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    On my phone typing having troube with bold, sorry, i am not trying to shout or emphasize everything i say
    Karen
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Miriam! Your garden looks lovely. Are you next door to a church?

Lillian ~ Good to know that many of us are probably going or have gone through the same thing regarding our parents. I am just hoping the city will pick up the garbage can. I put the cans and jars of food in a lot of bags so they wouldn't be so heavy. I have a garbage bag full of cards that my mom saved. The entire house is like that and we can't do anything much with it until she passes. I keep thinking we need to have an estate sale for all the dishes, linens, pictures, etc. but my sister is not willing to do that at this time.

Good wishes to the newbies. This is a fun place to read and learn and get support.

Carol
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

Not sure yet what we are up to today together...I think hubs wants to go to Sam's and Lowe's. I am going to work on 1 of 3 crochet projects, continue exploring Pocket Letter Pen Pals as I've had 3 requests for swaps and perhaps a walk later as it is projected to be in the high 50's here in NE oHIo.

This is my Temperature Afghan. You assign yarn colors to temperature ranges and then using your preferred stitch crochet based on the high/lo for each day for a year.

fjcd1myu2nb7.jpg

This is the Harry Potter afghan I am doing for my daughter. My first attempt at a graphghan!

db0xkc903314.jpg

Have had my coffee and my toast with PB so off to get dressed. Oh....I think I must have had a stretch of "real" sleep last night as I had a dream like no other. I took Valerian before bed....perhaps that helped. I'll try it again tonight.

Ta, ta....

Cheri
    Sunny Fairlawn, oHIo :)

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Miriam - Happy Birthday! I hope you have a fun time Celebrating!

Today is the last day of the push-up challenge! 10 X 10 push-ups are scheduled for today. I will be doing them throughout the day. I will also be doing my Stronglifts this afternoon. I'm taking it easy this morning as we just had our overnight guests leave.

Great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore - Thank you for the link to your part of the world. Breathtakingly gorgeous. I watched and listened for quite a while. I have never lived close to large bodies of water and they intrigue me.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Miriam, Happy Birthday. :)

Thank you for sharing your beautiful yard and garden. No wonder you love spending time there. Beautiful, calming.

Janetr okc

• janetr7476
    Options
    Cheri - I love, love the afghans. What creative ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Penney: I'm glad to see you here again. The photos are gorgeous, & I especially like the one taken from the roadway that shows the community. :smiley:

Heather: Your dinner sounds great. Ours was nice last night, too. A neighbor gave us a piece of Columbia River Salmon that we got out of the freezer, slathered with mustrard sauce, and popped onto the grill on the deck. I made a potato, mushroom, zucchini squash, green onion & sweet yellow pepper stir fry to go with it. It was 245 calories a serving until we got out the rainbow sherbet. :embarassed:

KJLaMore: I like allrecipies, too. We like crock-pot stews and chili but I'm not crazy about chicken as I seem to over cook it. :ohwell:

Miriam: Happy Birthday! :heart: Your gardens are absolutely gorgeous.

Peach1948 & Lillian: When we moved mom into assisted living we left her home intact except for the furniture we used in her little apartment. She had end-stage emphysema from lifelong smoking and we knew her time would be relatively short. She would ask to go home, and we'd take her for a visit. After she passed away, we hired a woman who held an estate sale. People even bought open jars of homemade strawberry jelly. I was astonished. I'm an only child, so I didn't have to compromise with anyone. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: I love the afghan you're making. I made one for DD a few years ago. She seems to have tucked it away somewhere because I've never seen it again. :ohwell:

We have a rainy, stay at home day today. DH wants to work on cleaning up our messy garage. I usually pitch in and do my share, but I'm going to be selective today. My wrist is coming along, but still has swelling and occasional stabs of pain if I'm not careful. I'm "calling in" injured.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Today is my birthday, 58. We sing in the choir today, and Emily and I missed practice so it will be tough! Later this afternoon, the fellow from Africa that I have been chatting with is coming out to my house. The weather has turned wonderful this weekend, so I spent four hours cleaning up in my yard yesterday, mostly raking but also cutting off dead plant parts. My girls helped by hauling off the tarp to the burn pile when it got full. There is still a lot left to do (I have a lot and a half and it is ALL flower beds with a path of grass), so after church I am going to head out again. I told the fellow from Africa, Gueti, to wear work clothes- I would probably be in my yard when he showed up. We will have pizza from the local fast food store for dinner- at least he and the kids will. I will probably end up with a big bowl of veggies. Working in my yard is the very best way to spend a birthday in my opinion.

Happy Birthday, Miriam!!! Your yard is fantastic! Living is the desert as I do, I have severe bloom envy.
  • TheRealMsWolf
    Options
    KJLaMore
    Thank you for the thoughts while I was gone. It was tough at times but I survived.

Bought myself a Michael Kors bag and a bracelet from Tiffanys. Never spend money on myself. He previously bought me a necklace from there. They are going to replace the heart on it so I don't have to walk around with his love message on the back of it so that was a relief.

While I was gone we had a issue with wind apparently missing some siding and have some gutters hanging off need to call insurance company today and call on Monday to get some estimates.

Going to try and hold my head up high today a make the day a positive one.

Anne from Wisconsin

Good for you taking care of yourself! Give yourself a pat on the back for that and take a moment to savor the feeling.

Kristan
  • TheRealMsWolf
    Options
    This morning I ventured back onto the treadmill for the first time in a couple of weeks, thanks to the vertigo. It felt great! I'm so excited to get back to my full exercise routine!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps-
    Happy bday mariumwithcats!!!!!!!! Like your greenery.

Purdy pics lagapus!!!!

Today Kirby doesn't want to go to the gym so I need to pressure wash some stuff and go to Costco. Get a bottle of black nail polish to paint the top of my keychain.

Took the kids to put them in the car and no leashes, when we got out there they realized, hey where is my escape area! No wonder she let us out without a leash. It worked like a charm. No more stress. They didn't get out very often, but it was a drag
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Miriam!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I am tired from last night so just hanging out, Tom going to visit a friend who had a heart attack, he just let me know.. this guy is the one who did all our electric in the house.
    washed the puppies in the tub, that was fun.....
    and made my DFIL lemon meringue pie...
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Janetr, I love it when you and all our friends here are pleased with themselves and enjoying life. It sure beats the alternative. Keep it up.

Heather, thanks for the pretty hug and back at ya.

Karen, I know you are happy to have your family home. Hope your DD is feeling better soon.

Pip, that is one nice fence!! And I , love the “Mind over spine” t shirt!!! So proud of him!!!!

Motivated and Marcelyn, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. The last day of each month, Barbie will post a link to the new thread for the next month. Come often, chat and feel free to ask questions. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Ann, so glad you enjoyed the cruise. Gaining 2 pounds on a cruise is a huge victory. Most gain much more. Where did you go and did you get off the ship at each port? Sorry you are still in limbo.

Marcelyn, how wonderful to have all those kids together each week! It is so nice for cousins to grow up knowing each other. Interesting how many were born in the same years

Denkko, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. It sounds like you have your motivation already. Where is the highest peak in Texas? Get up and start moving if it’s only for 5 minutes. Then add a little time each time you do it. You’ll be ready in no time. Good luck.

Earl, (aka Becca) how wonderful that your hubby will stop you from eating something that you know you shouldn’t. If everyone had that kind of support this journey would be easier for them. I hope you gave him a hug after you stopped crying over gone cake.

Joyce, sorry Charlie didn’t like the pie but good for you on not finishing it for him! Kudos also for cooking 4 nights in a row. Serving leftovers still counts as cooking in my book.

CarolNC, so glad you are feeling back to yourself. Big (((((Huggs))))) back to ya. I hope to see more of you now.

Penny, congrats on finishing that big project and even more on expecting a big, fat paycheck! Woo Hoo Thank you for the beautiful pictures and I hope you enjoy the sun while you can see the light.

Allie, glad you enjoyed the concert but I expected you to. I’d have been torn about leaving before the last song but you had a long drive home. Get some rest.

Miriam, happy-birthday-to-you-smiley-emoticon.gif I hope it is a special birthday.

Carol GA, too bad your sister wants to hold on to your Mom’s things for now. It would make perfect sense to have an estate sale and get rid of as much as ya’ll don’t want. I mean if you know she will never go home again, what is the use of waiting. Of course we all need to keep peace with our siblings.

Cheri, your work is beautiful. I think the Temperature Afghan is such a cool idea. Do you end up with dates on it anywhere?

Mary, I finally got in my 10 sets of push-ups. I was sooooo sore when I first got up this morning and the first set up 10 was really painful. Thankfully they got easier as the morning went on. Since I can tell they did some good, I guess I’ll have to keep doing them every day. I’m even thinking it might help my batwings a little bit. Even though it took me a few days to get on board, thanks for getting me there. You are always such an inspiration!

Kristan, glad you were able to get back on the treadmill. That is right up there with running, to me. Nothing fun about it. Good for you!

Pip, how dare you outsmart the kids!!! *laffin’* I can just see them looking around say, “What the hey?”.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It is a beautiful day in SC! The sun is shining and the temp will reach mid 60’s today. I will try to get out this afternoon and enjoy it for a while. I’m sending sunny thoughts to all of you and I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Miriam - Happy Birthday! Love your garden. I have a big flower garden off the deck of our hour. I planted it with abandon; now wish I had planted it with the sizes coming from the back with the tallest ones down to the lowest. Right now it is messy; hubby will help weed it out; but, I need to put some potting soil over my irises because they have multiplied so that the bulbs are sitting on top of the soil. I don't think that is good for them. Might even stunt their growth. Had some lilies beside the house that probably also need to be dug up and planted deeper. If I thought my DH would help me dig everything up and divide the bulbs and replant them - I could do that. I know I could not do it myself. It is easily 20ft long and 12ft wide. I love my hanging plants; got upset that DH overwatered my lipstick plant ... so it is dying. When I go to replace it, need to ask the plant store if there is anyway to save it. I have not had any luck trying to cut it off and planting the stalks/leaves. Planning on getting wooden shelves to replace the covered Masonite one in our bedroom and putting my flamingo collection out on the glassed-in porch.

Beginning to nag DH about finishing the porch. Has a lot of cracks that need to be filled in, a new door, some type of wall (either bead board or drywall; and shelves! He's started painting the outside walls; we'll leave the one on the house the natural cedar wood. It will stay brown since it is not exposed to the elements like the others round the house. He's not longer spraying it with a stain. I might even put some between the frames of the windows. Have not decided. Also have not decided if I need to put sheers up because it faces west and south (lots of sun). TV and A/C duct (or 2 fans in the corner. Need to have some electrical work. I tried pulling a surge protector out of the plug-in that I had my C-pap and 3 other things plugged in; would not fit with the plate on. Melting, so it needed to go. Took a hammer to it and 'finally' when the thing broke off, it broke the plugs in half and 'sparked'. Scared me to death. So I ended up moving the phone into the bedroom and running a real surge protector with the on & off switch under the bed and plugging them into it. I had to crawl under the bed on my belly to reach the plug-in and maneuver it around the bed. King-sized bed too heavy for even 2 of us to move.

Want to paint bedroom a very light rust color; barely rust color; and leave the trim white (except for the 2x6 for the shelves in the window. No way to rearrange the room; only one wall for the bed. If I thought it would work, I'd put it on the window wall and put drapes up the width of the bed (even though it has a head board and foot board; but, I don't think I could move the dresser and/or dressing table to another wall and be able to get into them. I need to measure the room; and, draw it out on paper. I cannot really use my dressing table because I'd have to straddle the stool and I don't know what I have in the drawers now either. DH has to use it to get into the bed; I have to use a step stool to get up in it. It sits very high of the floor but it makes folding clothes very easy for me. It's not quite counter high; but, close. If we get a lot older - we might have to buy one of those low box springs; but, even then, it would still sit up higher than most beds. Just a lot of little junky things in the dresser drawers. Need to clean it out and tackle the floor of the closet(s). Need to get rid of shoes I can no longer wear; will keep one pair of heels to wear with my 'black dress' (should be able to fit into it once I get down to my goal.

Still not sure what my goal weight should be; maybe when I get down to a 'normal BMI' when I get down to 150lbs; then will talk to the nurse/MD about if that is my best weight or if I still need to lose a little more. I'm 5' 4". And that is a round up to the next even number. I have a couple of shirts that I need to make the buttonholes a bit smaller because the buttons come undone; too nice to give away. Got to see if I can get the tailor to sew on one of my buttons on my leather coat on with black thread instead of the red tread I used in an emergency. I don't know how I did it but I ripped the bottom button off the coat and in the process tore the leather; but, got that fixed with a little super glue. That wasn't easy - I'm not good with super glue, get it all over my fingers. Got some slides that I want DH to put some 'gorilla glue' on the soles to make them so I can wear them again.

Plug in are all behind heavy pieces of furniture. Husband and electrician did NOT put them where I wanted them. I can remember my mother bitching because she wanted hers 6 feet apart instead of the normal 8 feet apart. I wanted mine 4 inches apart. I've got a couple of walls that don't have any outlets at all. I need a double one behind our chairs in front of the double window.

We have a woodpecker (small one) who pecks at our house. If I was one of the big ones, they are protected by law; but, he pecks at the most inopportune time. DH can tell where he is pecking. That along with a month of carpenter bees makes for a bad problem with a cedar house. Sonny, the bug man will hit all the holes with poison to help get rid of them; has to be repeated as long as they are around. They look like bubble bees; with shorter wings. We have one of those battery operated zappers in the shape of a tennis racket. Need to get two of them to have a game going. About time to put up the hummingbird feeders. Have not seen on yet; but, also need to replace a couple of them, too. We usually had 8 - 10 return every year. If I don't get the feeders out the first day I see one; they'll move on. My BF (when she lived in her house) had close to 20 at her bad window.

Welcome all 'newbies' ... tell us a little about yourselves, name you want to be called, location (general or specific), family, hobbies, and you will see that not only do we encourage others, we also rant and rave, occasionally '*kitten*' about things - weigh-wise or about things going on in our families. There is a message board where you can send a message that you don't want posted ere on the 'wall' to someone specifically. I wish that MFP would put all the emoticons on it, on the message boards. My security system will not allow me to add any of them. Technicians tell me not to do it either.

Look for Barbiecat's link to the next month and make sure you bookmark it by clicking on the outline of a star, it will turn yellow; then the next time come and click on the gray one between the bell and the gear; you'll come to the most recent date. Sometimes you will see an overlap from the month before; just make sure you bookmark the beginning of the month.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Cracker - my Rat Jack is outside with DH - she loves the weekends! She'll come in and just flop down anywhere and sleep.