WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just bookmarked this site and hope to join you ladies. I am 53 and started back last month working towards my goal of getting healthy again. Goals for February:
    - Cardio 3X per week
    - Abs 3X per week (I've become rather -- round--)
    - Continue to be a non smoker (5 days now)
    - Journal often to get my feelings out instead of turning to food.

THANKS!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Betty, great article!
  • Sapphires4me
    Options
    BTW -- Kim- from California - your dog is beautiful. I have a French Spaniel (Pebbles) and she is 14 years old, but looks almost exactly like your baby.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mdk1cewmi4pt.jpg

This is not to make light or real anxiety or real depression, just as a thought for those of us who reach for food when the going gets tough or veg out in front of the TV when life gets too hard.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope you are all having a great day! We woke to another beautiful sunrise, after a sky-on-fire sunset last night. It's been unusually bright and colorful. I love it, but hubby, the chemist, says it is pollution that causes those colors. Oh well.

I ran around like a headless chicken this morning. I signed up for a "webinar" that starts at 9AM, so I rushed through my workout, raced through the grocery store to get some fruit to have at the studio, then hurried here and got my computer all set up, got connected to the internet, got my cup of tea, with only one minute to spare. Then I saw that it said to log in 10 minutes early. Oops! Well, when I tried to log in, I found that it started at 9AM, alright, but on WEDNESDAY not Monday! Sometimes I amaze myself with the depths of my stupidity. I've never done a webinar before, so don't have the foggiest idea how to do it, or what to expect. It's about maximizing facebook for business. Hopefully it's not a waste of time. It was free, so I can't expect too much.

Tomorrow two friends (the ones who are starting the coop) and I are taking a day trip to Springfield, Missouri (about 110 miles away) to look at galleries and junk stores. Also, I have to hit the clay supplier while I'm there. It should be a lot of fun. I'm driving, so I have to get the van cleaned up today. There is a lot of dog "snart" on the windows. (That is snot art, for those who don't know.) I will vacuum as much dog hair as possible, but I know that is a losing cause. And the van needs to visit the car wash, too.

I fired a glaze load yesterday and the kiln is still at 600 degrees, so it's too hot to unload and see how things turned out. I'm so impatient, it's hard to wait. I might have to leave the building. I have singed off my eye brows before, opening it too soon. More than once.

Well, I should get busy doing something constructive. Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    u59arag8xp52.jpg

I was about to get in bed and couldn't resist taking a picture of my darling family waiting for me. :)

Awwwwww
  • pipcd34
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well peeps, now that he knows he can run again. First thing he said, I'm gonna do the marathon again in November. 2nd thing he did was find out how long the course stays open 2 make sure he will be able to finish while it is open, 6-1/2 hours he found. 3rd thing, he said yup, I'm gonna do it, r u gonna do it with me? Well I guess I'm gonna do another marathon :0/ at least we won't b running as fast as we did the last one..... I hope

Run is on November 6, 2 days after the year anniversary of the accident. Appropriate huh
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    If anyone can do it ,It is you and Kirby ,you both have the determination and hutspa...God Bless you Both!! :)<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: You've been through a horrible ordeal. I hope it is coming to an end and that you'll be feeling better soon. We caught a virus at Thanksgiving that lingered until January. I wonder if it was similar to yours. I hope every day is better and you're feeling good soon. :heart:

Mindy: Good wishes for the interview. I hope they see what a gem you are. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I'm happy that you're rededicating yourself to your health. Your Restaurant Impossible mission would have driven me to insanity. I hope this year will be less stressful so you can focus on your health & happiness. :smiley:

Heather: Having writing eaten by a computer glitch is horrid. My sincere sympathy goes to your DH. Backing up is so important. We use Apple time machine to back up our computers all the time, but if I were writing a novel I'd also back it up on a memory stick, so it would be backed up at least two ways. :heart:

Elaine: Best wishes for your mum. :flowerforyou:

Donna: I was never much of a goal setter before joining MFP but I have learned its value. Your choices for this month seem excellent. :smiley:

Barbie: I appreciate the clarification on the difference between goals and resolutions. Thank you!

Beth: "As I'm reading goals, I want to make a comment ... Lose the "passive" verbiage. Banish phrases like "I'm hoping" or "maybe I can." These only give you permission to waiver. Mary's quote "I know I can" is the kind of statement that supports positive changes! Hey, Nike didn't make millions with the slogan "just try" ... It was "just do it!"" I love this!:bigsmile:

Sylvia: At least you haven't actually missed the webinar and you've had a dress rehearsal, which may turn out to be a very good thing. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Keeping my fingers crossed that your conference with Bryan happens and you end up feeling more hopeful. :heart:

I'm arguing with myself about yoga today. I dislike this instructor but going regularly is a good habit my body counts on. I'm not sure what I'll decide.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
    6. Find a place where I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, after Mount St. Helen blew, the sunsets in Idaho were spectacular. You reminded me of them with your post.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Goblet squats-3X7X 30
    Kettle bell swing-22X9X 30

This is the second day of doing the increased weight of 30 pounds and I am feeling it in my left knee and hip. If that continues I will deload down to 25 pounds and work my way back up.

I am also going to compete in a challenge of 10X10X negative pull-ups. I am hoping that one day I can do at least one pull-up.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DH had a problem to do with "Pareto Logic" and Norton fixed it for him. It's all double Dutch to me, but he seems happy now. He is on Windows 8. He looked it up on line and it can cause shutdowns. :ohwell:
    Today I backed my writing up on a memory stick, on Dropbox and I sent it to myself by email. I also printed it out. :laugh:
    My computer is old and tired and I don't trust it at all. All my photos are backed up. DH's is nearly new.

Snacking on my trusty carrot. :D<3 DH always laughs at me gnawing away!

Tonight we are having sea trout with green beans. I am making a fresh tomato sauce with garlic, spring onion and fresh basil. Barely warmed in olive oil - one tablesp for the two of us. :love: I'm cooking a few new potatoes for DH, the skinny minny. Might treat myself to a rare Diet Coke with lots of lemon as it's my alcohol free day.

Yoga tomorrow. B)<3

I've just made an arrangement to meet my nice friend in Winchester for lunch on Thursday. At Brasserie Blanc. Do you have Raymond Blanc on your TV? It's his chain of modestly priced brasseries. It's where DH had a chunk of glass in his food about a year ago. I have forgiven them as they were so devastated they gave us the whole 3 course meal, coffee and wine for free. It was because the pat`e was presented in a Parfait jar which had chipped. They were sending it to head office.
    Looking forward to seeing her. She is off to Palma, Majorca on Saturday for a few days. Very adventurous for a single woman. <3

Got to put the potatoes on. Tonight there is a programme about American railways. The presenter is starting at Grand Central Station, where I went and had oysters in the Oyster Bar. Wonderful! DH said he would like to travel by train in the States. :drinker:

Heather UK
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    barbie thanks for setting us up again, February is sure to fly by. Also, I am a strong believer that exercise is my anti-depressant

Joyce I hope for a speedy resolution to your illness as well as some relief for Charlie, I'm thinking of you.

Feb goals:
    • Wear one nice outfit from my closet per week, don't just dress down every day
    • log every bite and step
    • breathe in and breathe out when the going gets tough
    • get to the library to catch up on some reading
    • be kind to myself and others everyday

Karen from NY
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    This is the sunrise this morning.koq2ai70tgw7.jpeg
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in briefly to let you know I'm still here.
    Things didn't work out for me :'( and I'm very scared and disappointed. I am trying to keep going.
    Thanks to all who sent prayers and good thoughts, keep them coming please.

Goals for this month are simple:
    Exercise every day
    Drink 64oz water
    Remain calm and don't give up

Wishing you all a wonderful month.

Chris in MA

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Things didn't work out for me :'( and I'm very scared and disappointed. I am trying to keep going.
    Chris in MA

Let us know if there is anything you need us to do for you. Sending prayers and have been thinking of you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Barbie-Thanks for keeping us on task! I love the goal v resolution comparison. Gretchen Rubin writes some great stuff!
    Allison-sending thoughts and prayers for strength for you as you are so busy "being there" for your loved ones. Remember to take time for yourself!
    Beth near Buffalo- Definitely take that 5.5lb loss! Loss is good, in this case! Glad you are feeling better. Here's to a great February!
    Betty- Great article, thanks for sharing! I have tried many diets/methods to lose weight. Some have worked for me; and some, not so much. I thought I had it all figured out, then I hit menopause. Ugh! Major weight gain over the past five years (50 pounds). I have finally found a plan that seems to work for me. It is silly to think that one way to eat will work for everyone. WE are all so different!
    Carol in NC- Don't look back! We have all become the people we are/look like because fo what has happened in our past. But we have to keep looking and moving forward. You got this! Little walks around the office or home are steps in the right direction. Hope your pain eases up!
    Sapphires4me- Welcome! Nice goals! Congrats on five days of not smoking! That is something to celebrate! You got this!
    Sylvia - Your posts make me giggle! You are so busy doing stuff; I can just see you running around with singed eyebrows! LOL!
    mikesmom1- Prayers coming your way for courage strength and peace in your heart. Take each day. Don't give up. Come back to us often. Love and hugs!
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • Sapphires4me
    Options
    mikesmom1983 wrote: »

Chris in MA

Hang in there. Lean on friends and family to get you through hard times. Prayers for you.
  • gmadaisy
    gmadaisy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

:)HeatherI think I proofread everything but the year got by me. Actually, alacrity may be my word for the rest of my life...I like it a lot.

:'(Joyce, I am happy to hear from you and sad to hear about all that you and Charlie have been going through.

:)Cheri Gee, In the middle of the night, I had to push the dogs over because one of my feet kept falling out of bed and when I disturb the dogs, Bernie, the cat starts wandering around the bed and then thinks he should sleep on top of me.

welcome.gif..to everyone who is new to this thread today...we were all new once and just kept coming back and joining in the conversation....I start this thread over each month because I need all of you to walk this path with me.

:) I got up extra early this morning so we could go to an early meeting but when I woke my hubby, he had not slept well and decided to sleep instead of going to the meeting so I have extra time to spend with all of you. I'll wake him in time to go to the chiropractor at 8:15. We see the chiropractor twice a month early on Monday mornings then we go the grocery store. Later this morning I have a dentist appointment. Soon I'll walk the dogs again.

:) If you are still trying to decide on goals or resolutions for February, here is something from Gretchen Rubin that has helped me:

You hit a goal, you achieve a goal. You keep a resolution.
    I think that some objectives are better characterized as resolutions, others, as goals.
    “Run in a marathon” or “Become fluent in Spanish” is a good goal. It’s specific. It’s easy to tell when it has been achieved. Once you’ve done it, you’ve done it!
    “Eat more vegetables” or “Stop gossiping,” or “Exercise” is better cast as a resolution. You won’t wake up one morning and find that you’ve achieved it. It’s something that you have to resolve to do, every day, forever. You’ll never be done with it.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington where there is frost on the ground and the sky is clear enough to see the moon.
    My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

:)HeatherI think I proofread everything but the year got by me. Actually, alacrity may be my word for the rest of my life...I like it a lot.

:'(Joyce, I am happy to hear from you and sad to hear about all that you and Charlie have been going through.

:)Cheri Gee, In the middle of the night, I had to push the dogs over because one of my feet kept falling out of bed and when I disturb the dogs, Bernie, the cat starts wandering around the bed and then thinks he should sleep on top of me.

welcome.gif..to everyone who is new to this thread today...we were all new once and just kept coming back and joining in the conversation....I start this thread over each month because I need all of you to walk this path with me.

:) I got up extra early this morning so we could go to an early meeting but when I woke my hubby, he had not slept well and decided to sleep instead of going to the meeting so I have extra time to spend with all of you. I'll wake him in time to go to the chiropractor at 8:15. We see the chiropractor twice a month early on Monday mornings then we go the grocery store. Later this morning I have a dentist appointment. Soon I'll walk the dogs again.

:) If you are still trying to decide on goals or resolutions for February, here is something from Gretchen Rubin that has helped me:

I think that some objectives are better characterized as resolutions, others, as goals.
    “Run in a marathon” or “Become fluent in Spanish” is a good goal. It’s specific. It’s easy to tell when it has been achieved. Once you’ve done it, you’ve done it!
    “Eat more vegetables” or “Stop gossiping,” or “Exercise” is better cast as a resolution. You won’t wake up one morning and find that you’ve achieved it. It’s something that you have to resolve to do, every day, forever. You’ll never be done with it.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington where there is frost on the ground and the sky is clear enough to see the moon.

Katla49 wrote: »
    Joyce: You've been through a horrible ordeal. I hope it is coming to an end and that you'll be feeling better soon. We caught a virus at Thanksgiving that lingered until January. I wonder if it was similar to yours. I hope every day is better and you're feeling good soon. :heart:

Mindy: Good wishes for the interview. I hope they see what a gem you are. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I'm happy that you're rededicating yourself to your health. Your Restaurant Impossible mission would have driven me to insanity. I hope this year will be less stressful so you can focus on your health & happiness. :smiley:

Heather: Having writing eaten by a computer glitch is horrid. My sincere sympathy goes to your DH. Backing up is so important. We use Apple time machine to back up our computers all the time, but if I were writing a novel I'd also back it up on a memory stick, so it would be backed up at least two ways. :heart:

Elaine: Best wishes for your mum. :flowerforyou:

Donna: I was never much of a goal setter before joining MFP but I have learned its value. Your choices for this month seem excellent. :smiley:

Barbie: I appreciate the clarification on the difference between goals and resolutions. Thank you!

Beth: "As I'm reading goals, I want to make a comment ... Lose the "passive" verbiage. Banish phrases like "I'm hoping" or "maybe I can." These only give you permission to waiver. Mary's quote "I know I can" is the kind of statement that supports positive changes! Hey, Nike didn't make millions with the slogan "just try" ... It was "just do it!"" I love this!:bigsmile:

Sylvia: At least you haven't actually missed the webinar and you've had a dress rehearsal, which may turn out to be a very good thing. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Keeping my fingers crossed that your conference with Bryan happens and you end up feeling more hopeful. :heart:

I'm arguing with myself about yoga today. I dislike this instructor but going regularly is a good habit my body counts on. I'm not sure what I'll decide.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
    6. Find a place where I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png