WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    LADIES – I ask that you pray for the families of 3 people killed in a plane wreck at the small airport in Albany, GA. We lived in Albany until our boys were out of HS; one got married and the other going to college out-of-state.

Pray for the family whose 19-year-old daughter had a stroke yesterday in Albany, GA.

Really, pray hard for a little 5-year-old in SW Atlanta, GA who witnessed his parents being shot to death. He called 911; did not know his street number; but could tell her the street name's address; He was so sad ... all he wanted was a policeman to come. He could answer the 911’s dispatcher’s questions. He was all alone. From the recording; they were maybe in their back yard when it happened. He must have been inside the house. So sad that a 5-yr-year-old child knows that his parents are dead and could tell her that he was alone and wanted to have a policeman come get him. This occurred in a bad neighborhood of town. DH and I were amazed that he ‘knew’ how to call for help. Police were dispatched and she keep him on the line with her until they arrived. This poor child will have that as a 'memory' for the rest of his life. So, so, so SAD! What has become of this nation?

We taught our boys how to call 911 when they were about this age; maybe a little younger. We had them learn the address where we lived. Did the same thing for our grandchildren. Never know what might happen in the future or immediate second and calling 911 can be a life-saver for you or a family member (or a friend). We use to role play on their little phones and I answered them as if I was the real need for emergency and help. I sat on the floor on one side of the bed; they were on the other side. It is so important to teach your child/(ren) and/or grandchild/(ren) to call if they need help or you do. You also have to teach them that 911 is only for emergencies and not to use it to play a ‘joke’. They could do that and prevent someone that is really in need to not get that help. Very important. I’d get them to hold the real phone and point to the numbers 9-1-1. When my children were little we, of course, did not have the "enhanced 911" that they do in a lot of communities.

B.I.B.L.E. (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth). So much easier to do; especially when it got to the 'who begot who' passage. This year I decided to randomly open my BIBLE and read the passage from Proverbs and Psalms and meditate on it. I had encouragement from sister and one of my good friends.Got a ‘word’ that it was ‘ok’ that I did not start reading the BIBLE this year (in a dream last night); and … the encouragement I am getting from all of you makes me aware of what I need to do or if I need to change up from one of your posts (maybe in answer to another’s post before). After all, aren’t just a bunch of WINOS? W-I-N-O-S ... Women In Need Of Support.

I never thought of this … some ladies are actually trying to ‘gain weight’ on this site. It must be just as hard to be at the opposite side of this journey we are taking. I have a friend, but have never met her in person; but, we were both on a site, much like this … for artists. We had a fairly heated go back-a-forth emails about what constituted ‘copyright infringement’. We finally agreed to disagree; and, started PM-ing one another and finally asked for emails. It has been a wonderful friendship. We encourage one another with our art and also talk through some issues that might be very personal. She really has become a dear friend.

Welcome to the ‘newbies’ to this site and for all y’all who have been here and started off getting it going.

Love to all!
    Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    well I have made a decision to go to the Kidney Dr appt, it is very hard to get a reschedule appt...im not feeling wonderful, but will go and come back and lay low..Tom seemed very concerned and asked if there was anything he could do....
    I dont like not going to work, but I dont want anyone getting sick either..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 52 week De clutter Challenge. My cupboards are so organised!

x02u1x8hi7qd.jpg

Irish Terri harp.gif[/center]

Great job! You get the Katiebug Seal of Approval on your organization skills!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    This morning when DH got up; he tucked me 'back in bed'. I love it when he is so sweet and loving. This is something he does when I'm sick. o:)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Rori would you mind sharing the name of your gratitude app?

Busy day but not a pleasant one ... Migraine son gets his Botox injections today. This may be the last series we do ... Not certain they're making much of a difference, but the neurologist is insistent that they are helping. Son would, of course, prefer to discontinue them. They're brutal.

Beth near Buffalo
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OK, so a little more about me, 53 years old, live in south Louisiana, my birthstone is of course Sapphires :smiley: My name is Anna.

Was active duty Army for 8 years and a military spouse for 21. Divorced 10 years ago and my daughter and I moved back to my hometown in Louisiana. About 4 years later met an amazing man. We've been married 2 years. His 16 year old son lives with us and is sophomore in high school.

I have a 26 year old daughter that was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about year and a half ago. This summer she moved to Michigan to work in her dad's family's business. She has lots of student loans and needs to work for family so when she has flare ups she doesn't have to worry about losing her job. Hate being apart from her so much I feel like it's hard to breathe and start to cry if I think about it.

Last year DH had knee scope on both knees and then in November had a scare with blood clot in his lungs. So we decided it was time to get off our buts, quit smoking and take better care of ourselves. We both love to travel and try to plan one good vacation a year.

I have always been about 10 pounds over ideal weight for my height (except when active duty) but was really comfortable so never worried about it. Well menopause was about 9 years ago for me and after that the pounds just started creeping on until now I am 177 pounds and only 5'3". Decided it's time to get off my duff and take better care of myself.

Work full time and try to get to the gym at least 4 times a week. One or two days a week I pick up my 4 year old great niece after work and spend couple hours playing with her. When life gets hectic and crazy sit down and have a tea party or color for the afternoon with a 4 year old and it really eases your troubles.

Will try my best to read this thread everyday and keep up with everyone. One of my biggest goals for February is to log into MFP and this thread more than I log into Facebook.
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also, I love to read!!!! Mostly psychological thrillers/murder mysteries. Sanford, Patterson, Childs, Baldacci, Connelly, Jackson, DeMille, and many more. DH loves to read military history. Guilty pleasure -- Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I don't care what people read - as long as they read. It's good for the soul.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is my first post, and I'm so happy to have found this thread. I've used MFP to log food off and on for a couple of years. When I've been consistent, I've lost. So consistency is the name of the game for me!

Feb. goals:
    Log daily.
    Remain below calorie limit.
    Remain below sodium limit.
    Lose 10 pounds by Feb. 29.

:)

welcome.gif...I hope you'll be consistent about reading and posting on this thread...tell us more about you and join in the conversation.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :) I have been writing in a gratitude journal daily for many years. I use pen and paper and I've used different kinds of books to write in each year. This year I have a pocket planner that Jake got from a business he goes to....there is a lined section for each day so I have room to write 5-10 items. I keep it near the computer which is where I have my breakfast. Before breakfast I write in my gratitude journal and read a page or two in a spiritual book that I have chosen. When I travel, they go with me.

0ffw7c0ulf0q.jpg
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sorry to hear about all the bad things that have happened in Georgia recently, Lenora. :cry:

Rori - I loved that catchphrase Sitting is the new smoking. Absolutely what I need to hear! (Note to self: Get up and move, my dear!)
    Funny, but every time I log on I seem to hear this slow but steady countdown. I wonder what that could be... smiley-confused013.gif DJ, any ideas?

I'm working on two interrelated items on my to-do list (finish off the bookkeeping for 2015 and send in my annual sales tax report). So much to do! But I have also declined two commissions today. Yay ME! smiley-gen013.gif Frustrating that everybody wants my help at the same time. :angry:
    Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    dsx3p34wofda.jpg
    He wouldn't stop licking a wound. So he gets a baby dress! The cone of shame would not stay on with his fat neck.

The girls had just left for school, maybe gotten across the park, and there was a lightening flash and a LONG rumble of thunder. Very rare in winter. So they came running home, eyes as big as saucers, telling me I had to take them to school! I told them no, it was extremely unlikely that there would be another one, and that I was not taking them to school. (By the time I dressed, cleaned off the car, etc. they would be late- it is faster to walk!) So Emily's comment as she walked out the door in a huff: "If I get hit by lightening it is ALL YOUR FAULT!" LOL
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Rori - When my bursitis flares, I have a lot of "pain on pressure" at the joints so I don't think a massage would help. It's eased up a good bit now. I've been making a point of not sitting for long periods of time and walking more to flex the joint. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your massage!!

CSSJ90 - I had eye surgery on January 11 and, when I go back later this month for a re-check, he is going to talk about glasses. I would love to have a pair of near and mid-range--my distance is awesome now that I've had surgery on both eyes.

Heather - There was something I wanted to say to you but I've forgotten. If it comes back, I'll post again. :flushed:

The pain is better in my hips so I slept better last night. Fitbit says I slept for six hours which is a whole lot better than the four hours from the night before. I'm not sure how it judges when I'm asleep because I go to bed in time to get eight hours easily.

Terri - I did have a relatively drama free weekend. Thank you!!

I don't have a lot to say this morning. I was exhausted when I got home yesterday so I ate and pretty much went to bed.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Carol in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    I was going to go to a workshop today. We are expecting the most snow we have had all season 5-9 inches. Getting there would not be a problem but getting home if the weather is correct would take me an hour to two in awful traffic. (Been there done that) I stayed home.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    Options
    well went to Kidney Dr,all is sorta ok..a bit concerned about primary hypoparathyoidism.. but not going crazy, she will check me in 6 months..
    back home and tucked in and trying to type with a dog plastered across me..
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What an amazing group of women in this thread!! Prayers for all that asked for them.

I am new to the group and have gone through an emotional roller coaster for the last 4 months. The only thing I can control in my "new life" is my attitude so I am doing something positive and logging into MFP regularly and getting myself back on track.

My goals are to maintain a level of activity for 3-4 days per week and stay in my calorie goals. No more emotional eating!

Good luck to all! Bye the way, love all the pics of the fur babies!
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Miram~ that cat picture is a hoot...
    just got a call from the lab, they forgot to do a vitamin d test on me so have to go back.. going to speak with someone in billing, so that I will not get charged for this as it was there mistake..
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Barbie,love the gratitude saying.

Heather , nice idea being clear about boundaries, & will choose boundaries for my Feb word. Also
    keeping gratitude from Barbies post. Two words that pretty much cover everything for me.

Am actually a tough boundary setter.Need to work more on Gratitude. Feel it every day,need to let others know
    they are appreciated.

BTW.....Drinking 64 oz of water Is my limit.Getting up once a nt works for me.Have chug it down before noon .

Going to grocery for fresh veggies,then to buy a new stylus. Use it every day on iPad. Have a great day.It's to be 56*
    & sunny here. I am for sure appreciating that B)
    Also.....love the hints,tips & caring that comes thru your posts. Pat

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I have a couple of questions for those of you that are on maintenance. How many calories do you average a day? Do you eat back your exercise calories on top of that?

Margaret - I agree with you that there is way too much snow coming to risk driving.

Lenora - such tragedy! Will definitely be sending my prayers your way.

Chris - you are doing such a great job with your exercise. Keeping you in my prayers.

Terri - The picture of the concert looked like you were having a lot of fun!

Miriam- your kitty looks so cute! Great way to keep it from licking, much better than the cone of shame!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

Yvonne – Welcome back, and keep working hard and finding the support you need and deserve.

Grits – I enter every contest that I think will even slightly interest anyone I know. The trick to raffles is to crumple the form, then leave it partway open. It makes the other entries bounce out of the way. I hope you are feeling better quickly.

TerriR – Nice job on your pantry/cupboard. I am envious !

Janet – crunches vs cupcakes – FUNNY ! ! !

Sylvia – Love the cleaning cartoon, too. You ladies sure know how to make me laugh today ! ! !

Carol – My fitness tracker is some generic brand, and I also don’t understand how it can tell when I am in deep, light, or non-sleep. Plus, I don’t know how to get it to start when I actually fall asleep instead of midnight. Mostly I just try to meet my steps goal. Next time I won’t buy generic I guess. I’m glad that your weekend was calmer ! ! !

Mary – yes the evening of the concert was fun. The people I went with are nice people. Good thing I’m not shy, because I hadn’t met them until I parked my car in their driveway. Now the lady wants to go with us to Chicago on Sunday. She is excited that my DD is auditioning for The Voice, and she has never been to Navy Pier. I decided that it is likely that DD will only audition once, and DS will have many more bowling tournaments, so I’m excited to go, too.

I brought my huge yoga ball to sit on later. The Personal Trainer will blow it back up for me around 2pm today. Now it is almost time for lunch, which means 15 minutes on the handbike since my wrist and hands are finally feeling better. I will catch back up with all of you in a few hours.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (where we are only expecting a few inches of snow, so I should make it home tonight)