WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Sapphires4me – My DYS lives in Vidalia, LA with his wife (of 8 months and a step-daughter; who he loves like a daughter, like she was his own). Son works between Clayton and Sicily Island. DDnL#2 is a cosmetologist in Natchez, MS. She is ‘exactly’ what he was looking fo) in a wife. When they met and went out to eat … I think the relationship was one where it ‘hit them like a ton of bricks’. They are so cute together and so very much ‘in love’. Both of them were 37 in August. His marriage for the first time. She keeps ‘thanking’ me for our job raising him. She’d never found anybody that she felt as comfortable with. I laugh and told her that she ‘might’ not have ‘liked’ the younger version, he’s not perfect. She said that for the time, the hour, the minute, the second … he was perfect for her.

DH and I like to read, too. Harlan Corban – same style of writings of Patterson. I think I have read every one of his. I did not like reading growing up (Mother, Father, 2 sisters – are voracious readers) so it ‘bothered’ me a little but not bad enough to want to do it. I am home all day (retired/disabled – Bipolar Disorder) and back the beginning of the summer; got tired of sitting in front of the TV and watching reruns. So I picked up one book that my former/late boss’s wife had given to my husband thinking I might read some and he took them. I was ‘’hooked’ on reading and have not stop since. Lay one down and pick up the next in the pile. We have a system to keep up with which ones we’ve read. Corner for ‘new’ books, last one either has read at the top and left of that pile. Was so surprised to find that DH enjoyed reading other than hunting and fishing magazines.

We’ve been married for 43 years; and, he did not know that I had been to ‘art school’ … I had gotten it ‘shoved’ down my throat and it was no longer something I did for pleasure – more like a ‘job’. He found the art stuff when we moved out here and asked my why I had never told him that I painted. Since my DOS ‘thought’ and ‘said’ that only ‘real’ artist ‘drew’ (in graphite pencils). I think it upset me so much that I took a free online drawing course; and, surprised him with a picture of turkey for his birthday. It was hidden among the stuff I brought inside with me. I’ve painted one, too, for him. I told him to never imply that I was not a ‘real’ artist. DH and I read about 6-8 books every two weeks. James Patterson’s latest book “Private Rio” is very good. Just got finished with it. DH is going to read it; he just finished his last book. I painted a HS friend in his Army Uniform; he wanted it to be ‘spot on’ and he finally sent me his ‘bars’ and a piece of the uniform – I had to order paint to make the color. Nothing that I mixed would match the swatch.

He actually paid me before he looked at the painting. I had only painted for my pleasure at my leisure; but, with small children and the demands of a job – I did not paint or draw for years. He knew that I went to ‘art school’; we laugh about things still. Especially about us ‘not knowing’ things about each other. I’m glad, at this point in my life that I can be home all day and do as I please. I took art lessons from the time that they could find a teacher that would attempt to help me (at the age of 4); found one but she said I needed to be 6 or 7. My parents made the enclosed stairwell into my personal art gallery. When we ran out of space and I had a ‘new’ painting/drawing – they’d take it down and replace it/them. I’m sure that we talked about all things we did that maybe the other did not know. We’ve always been totally honest with one another. I’m his 3rd wife; but, he says I am the ‘best’ one.
    I deleted my FB account; was the best thing I’ve ever done; now, being on this thread and getting on the community has been much better. You’ve find that the ladies her will share things about their journey to lose (or gain) weight that maybe they think others don’t understand. LARGE group of very supportive ladies. I think we will ‘open up to one another because it is limited to just women.
    Before a wreck that put my Mother in a neck brace for a year; she was an English Lit/grammar/etc. teacher in HS; and my Daddy said she needed to ‘give it up’ and work as his secretary. That way she could rest any time she needed it. She was very artistic as well. Unfortunately, we sort of competed against one another.

Barbiecat – I have keep a gratitude journal, too. I write down positive things. It really helps a lot. This ‘ditty’ reminds me of the country song. “I’ve got everything I need; and, nothing that I don’t.”

Miriam – When DH and I were first married; we were coming back from Gainesville, FL to Jacksonville and the lightning struck the middle of the median. It reminded me a ‘bomb going off’ … dirt fell over the car and it created a crater about 4 or 5 feet deep and 10 or more feet in diameter. It was like a ‘flash bomb/grenade. And the nearest storm was a good 10 miles away. When I was a life guard at the city pool and we heard thunder we’d start counting; 1 – 1000’, 2 – 1000 and if we got to 10 – 1000 everybody had to get out of the pool if we heard thunder rumbling again. I’m sure you might know this; but, lightening can ‘strike’ 10 miles away from the storm. Kids hated getting out of the pool. But, if they did not do so they were banned from the pool for a week.

Nccarol – UTI – feel like I am about to ‘give birth to a bowling ball’ from some orifice down there; can't tell where the pressure is coming from. Just hurts. So far, the pain medication has not seemed to click in and start to work.

Margaret - We don’t get much snow in SW GA; but, one Christmas we were going to spend a few days with DH’s parents. Was sunny in Albany so DH made the decision that we’d probably not run into any bad weather. When we got on the Interstate 75 at Valdosta; it took us 12 hours to get to the interchange at I-10. We had left early in the AM to get there. People were driving down the emergency lanes; truckers would try to slow them down by pulling over. I’m sure that the ‘snowbirds from up North though that the entire South were full of ‘stupid drivers’. My DYS had to pee and wanted his Dad to pull off at the ‘next exit. Of course there were cars blocking every exit; and, we were not about to lose our place. We had stopped in a town before we got to Valdosta to stop and eat. No snow, no ice, sunny. Cars sliding off the road; had to stay in the ‘ruts’ to keep it on the road. We had gotten a 64-oz cup of Coca-Cola; and finished it. I handed the cup over the seat and told him to pee in it. “MOM!!! I’ll fill it up and I can’t wait” I told him that his bladder was not big enough for him to make it overflow. ! He peed to the very top. I guess maybe I was wrong. So I held it in my lap; then, I had had enough of the horning blowing; so the next car that came by II threw it out the window. When they passed on the right … we realize that the driver had his window down a little. When the warm pee hit the cold car – there was steam rising up it. We were stopped in our lane (far outside lane) and they were passing illegally. Then I had to go; I knew I could not wait any longer. Boys did not think I could do it. So I got up on my knees and peed in the cup again. My boys still remember this. They thought that I would spill it. It was a ”trip” to say the least.
    I enjoy reading the posts and having them bring up memories of some of the things we did … never thought that others sometimes went through the same, or similar, situations. IF, I don’t log on for a few days … I might be in the hospital. Surgery or just ‘chilling’. Meds I got put on has an effect on my bipolar and seizures meds. There have been times today that I feel ok; but, then the next minute I feel absolutely ‘bat-$#*T crazy’. I’m hoping it will pass. If you pass gas/’fart’ … and hold a lit match up and about 3’ away – it will look like a torch. My BF growing up, did this … we decided it was a good thing she still had her panties on.

Terri_mom – Thanks for the tip! I’ll try that the next time I enter one. Not really feeling any better; but will suck up and wait to hear about the culture they did. When they call with the results; I might ask the PA for my GP if I need to go to my GYN. They’re really together. PA had thought that I might need to go to a Urologist. I don’t know if I have to be ‘referred’ to one with all these ObamaCare changes that went into effect the first of the year.

Heather – I don’t normally don’t eat back my calories; but, I also know that by not doing so; I don’t get as upset when I go over my caloric intake goal.

Mindy – I also ‘think’ that my long posts are viewed as, “OMG – Lenora is at it again.” SKIP, SKIP, SKIP. I will certainly understand. LOL! Surprisingly ‘typing’ calms me down. I think that you might take the belief that it ‘happened for a good reason; maybe something better will come along.” I knew when they were interviewing for a new Federal Magistrate and also for a Clerk position; boss tried to get me to apply for the Clerk position. It was a gamble but when the Clerk asked me ‘if I’d apply to be his secretary in the event he was chosen. I told him ‘yes’ … I had worked for him 15 years. Needless to say, didn’t get the position (which provided benefits that he could not provide). Then a decision was made choosing a ‘female’ Magistrate; and, boss did not get it. He was more upset for me than I was. I told him that I’d rather work for him than in a position that might ‘go away’ if the economy went south. Apparently, she decided to pull her name out of the position. I really think she applies to see if a ‘female’ would be chosen and really for no other reason. She said it was because of her husband and his job. They would have had to relocate. The Chief Judge called the next day and wanted to speak to him. I interrupted a client he had with him (something I rarely did) and told him who was on the phone. He thought that a former partner was just playing a prank on him and he told me to ‘shut the door’. I told him that it was not him. He had a very deep and very distinctive voice. I told him to PICK IT UP! Sure enough he got the position. He did not care that he was in 2nd place. I believe that things happen, or don’t for a good reason. I think you have to learn to trust it. If you feel a peace about you decision – you probably have.
    If you feel conflicted … then you are being tempted by the Devil to doubt that it happened and you were upset about it. He knows our weaknesses. But, that is ‘just my thought on the subject. IMHO.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    :o
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    FYI - I get very verbose when I am 'fighting' an 'aura'. Hope you will understand.
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    JanetR - Brrr! I actually missing having real winters a lot since we moved back home to Texas. But it's pretty down there around Deming. I remember a state park not too far from there that I've wanted to go back to ever since we rode by it on our way back to Tijeras from a Motor Maids event. And thanks for the welcome back to MFP!

Katla - Oh, you are so right about the new clothes! I put on a little weight during my hiatus last year so everything is a little tight, but I refuse to buy new clothes right now. I'll get to enjoy the old "new" clothes once I start making progress again.

Poerava14 - The sitting thing is a major problem. I sit at a desk for very long hours too. I've been scrimping and saving forever because I want to buy an adjustable desk that'll let me stand for at least part of my work day. Maybe this will be the year I finally manage to do it... we'll have to see how bad the tax hit is.

Lenora - I just recently found a blog post from a woman who'd followed Marie Kondo's advice, and was intrigued. Will have to see if our library has her book.

CheriGee - Love your husband's attitude! I don't think I'll use his method, though... that would make me 85 this year instead of 58!

Irish Terri - I am so envious of your cupboards!

Miriam - Your photo made me laugh so hard... poor kitty! But that's what he gets for messing with his wound.

Joyce - My husband and I have been wondering about Sleep Number. (There is also a lower priced competitor that's all USA-made.) I have bursitis in both hips, and that often makes sleeping a challenge. Do you find that making your bed softer helps, or does firmer work better for you?

Karen - What a tragedy... it just breaks my heart to hear about people so young who find themselves in such a dark place they want to take their lives. I just want to hug them all up and tell them life will get better. Whenever I hear people say their school days were the best days of their lives I just think, how sad.

Life is pretty good here these days. We're flat broke and will likely remain so since my sweetie's new career doesn't have nearly the earning potential of his old one. But there are a lot of up sides, not least of which is having my own in-house massage therapist. We're making enough to cover the bills, so some of the worst of the financial stress has been relieved. We moved house twice in a 12-month period, and are finally settling in to a place we hope to stay awhile. It was built in 1938 so it's one long project, but I love it. I'm driving back and forth between here and Houston a lot because my dad is thinking about moving into a retirement community - I think it's a great idea, but he's very change averse and can't quite make up his mind. So in the meantime my siblings and I are just trying to help him get his home de-cluttered, which will be good whether he stays or goes. His lady friend just went into hospice, which makes me so sad because she's a wonderful person and I just hate to see him have to go through this again. Joyce truly gave him a reason to keep going after Mom died.

Anyhow, that's my report from the blackland prairie. Stay warm, everybody, and feel free to send some of that cold weather down here if it gets to be too much for you!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Well the storm has hit. If not for 4-wheel drive I would not of made it to work this morning, as is we are working short on staff. Not sure how much snow we have, but the wind is terrible. We have been lucky and not had a bad storm for several years. Just hope people stay home unless they really have to be out. I did not go to my eye appointment yesterday as with what they were saying the storm was to start on Sunday, so changed it to Friday.
    Yesterday I did get a lot done at home. Got my desk cleaned off and bills all sorted out and ready for the month. Feel good about that. Just wish I could keep it that way. I also found a picture taken in 2010 when I was almost 400 pounds. So now want DH to take a side picture and compare. Weigh in this morning and I was down 2 since last week.
    Katla--So glad you are not sadd anymore. Keep up the good work.
    Our oldest DS called me last night and said DGD's 2nd grade class wrote a book and each student wrote a short story about their worst day. She wrote about the car accident we had a couple years ago when I picked her up from school. She has never talked about it much so was interesting to read. Memories.
    Pip--Great news about Kirby and the running. Sending good thoughts and prayers for Bullwinkle. Glad it drained.
    Irish Terri--Beautiful views.
    Sylvia--What a peacful place, thanks for sharing.
    Rori--Glad to see you post. Great NSV with the outfits.
    Just got to the new page and already there are 5 pages. Since I am snowed in here for now and have no offices open I am hoping to get caught up. Barbie thanks for keeping us going. You are the best!
    Joyce--So very sorry to hear about your month. Sure wish I lived closer and I would come over and help. Please take care of yourself and know we love and miss you.
    Lisa--The most important thing is not to give up and that is what I keep telling myself.
    Barbie--Thanks for the words of wisdom. Something for me to think about.
    Chris MA--Sending hugs and prayers. Don't give up.
    Yvonne--Glad to see you post. Sorry to hear you are having a bad time. Remember One day at a time and don't give up.
    Well my ride is here and my relife is here so I am going to try and get home. Have to be back at 6 am. I am only up to page 3. Tomorrow is another day.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    February's Goals for Sunshine Becca

-Continue logging every day, every bite is one step closer to Onederland.

-Keep writing in journal, its healthy to own up and let go of anything that might hinder this process.

-Keep putting myself first, I am the one taking this journey. I get to decide, have my say, and make choices that benefit ME.

-Keep my supporters close. They are part of transformation. Acknowledge how important they are daily.

-Keep enjoying food, and take pleasure in eating healthy.

-Keep ending the day in my husbands' arms. He grounds me, and listening to the rain, and my husbands heartbeat is how I wish to end my days always :-)

This is my pledge from TOPS (Take off pounds sensibly) group. It is in my chalk board in my kitchen and I say it every morning.

I am an intelligent person.
    I will control my emotions and not let my emotions control me.
    Every time I am tempted to use food to satisfy my frustrated desires,
    build up my injured ego, or dull my senses,
    I will remember,
    I will take off pounds sensibly.

(I got this)....
    Becca
    getting all serious on you all :-)
    in Oregon

Ooops I posted this in Januarys thread!!!
  • Annr
    Options
    @terri_mom Did I kick you in the pants??? Where was I?? hahahaha. Hope your banana bread made with coconut oil turns out yummy. My 'mini loaf' pan makes 8 loaves and they were all gone in a couple of days. I had one (to see how it tasted) and I did WELL!! No standing on chairs girl! The sun will find its moment for you, I guarantee it!! Hugs friend
    Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    9horn6d5ggkx.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    I'm back from the W I Life Drawing meeting and it was a hoot! We had one session where we had to draw with a biro, with our non dominant hand, in a continuous line and without taking our eyes off the model. It was by far my best effort :laugh: But the female model ended up with a penis. :noway:

Got to get up early tomorrow to get clothes on as the plumber is coming to look at the shower in the en suite. Will get my yoga gear out of the bin. :laugh:

Just heard on the news that the whole of BT went out this afternoon. That accounts for our Internet going down. Apparently it was nation wide. Phew! I always get in a panic and think it's just us! Poor DH spent ages trying to get onto BT Sport and you have no idea what you are doing wrong. He was not amused. :ohwell: BT are responsible for the whole of the internet infrastructure.

Love to all. Thanks Kim and Carol, I will look into the backup companies. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • Annr
    Options
    To all the new ladies that have joined this thread while I was still meandering around January's thread....NICE TA MEET YOU ALL... :-) I was wondering why no one was typing to me.....sniff sniff... Then it dawned on me its a new month...DUH! Please all the new members end your comments with your name, and where you hail from. It seems easier to get to know ya all better.
    "Sunshine" Becca
    (I think I'm mentally wearing a sash that says this)
    in rainy Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    IMG_0935_zpsxpsjbxuu.jpg
    Eldest son doing what he does best.
    995b9dfe-c465-4586-b58c-28d7e5999603_zpsxrrmqb1p.jpg
    neighborhood pets.....looking off my balcony at our Elk. One has his tongue out at me!
    WeddingAE_zpsdvryxwmq.jpg
    My three sons, (my middle sons' wedding in Sept 2014)

Enjoy ya'll. Have a great day!
    Becca
    feeling thankful at
    the northern most tip of
    Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Rori - forgot to say earlier that yesterday and today, when I was watching the programmes about New York's transport system, I got quite teary. <3 SUCH wonderful, happy memories of our trip there. Did you ever get to Keens'?

Love Heather UK
  • Annr
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    9horn6d5ggkx.jpeg

WAIT PIP I didn't hear the joke your dog just told....What a giggle-face!!! PRICELESS!!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning ladies! I have a couple of questions for those of you that are on maintenance. How many calories do you average a day? Do you eat back your exercise calories on top of that?

<3

Mary from Minnesota

:) Mary, my food diary is open. I set my calories at 1200 and eat back all my exercise calories.....plus I am naturally active---don't sit still long, get up and move a lot, take things from room to room to garage all day.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    char316 wrote: »
    I think I may have done this before, but going to try again.

Feb goals:
    Daily meditation.
    Finish food diary at least 4 days a week.
    Started OA last night. Attend at least one meeting a week.
    Declutter minimum of 15 minutes a day.

welcome.gifChar, I have a friend who has been abstinent on OA for three years and has lost over 100 pounds. She has continued this in spite of personal health issues and her husband's bout with cancer. She took the Steps and works with a sponsor and says it's the best thing that ever happened to her.
  • Annr
    Options
    dsx3p34wofda.jpg
    He wouldn't stop licking a wound. So he gets a baby dress! The cone of shame would not stay on with his fat neck.

Ok I need to see this cats face for a bit more....so I am posting him. If I have a bad day, looking at him, its not so bad. His look is priceless. If a look says a thousand words, him and Grouchy cat could just go on tour! The green in his eyes is piercing!!
    Becca
    that needs a pet
    in
    Oregon
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Becca, if you are not in a position to have a cat or dog at home, you can always go to your local animal shelter and volunteer to walk dogs, or play with/ groom/ socialize the cats. We do it all the time and the staff is so appreciative. The staff at shelters are too busy with cleaning, medication, intake and adoptions, etc. to play with the animals and they NEED that to be friendly when potential adoptees visit. My shelter does not require any schedule, but I know some (Boulder Colorado comes to mind) that are more persnickity about scheduling visits.

Pip, that has to be my favorite photo of all your photos. Your dogs are so gorgeous.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Heather & Barbie - thanks for the information on maintaining and exercise calories. I'm starting to increase my calories but I still want to continue to lose. Seems like it is fine line to walk.

Mindy - that would be a great raise!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Options
    Becca, if you are not in a position to have a cat or dog at home, you can always go to your local animal shelter and volunteer to walk dogs, or play with/ groom/ socialize the cats. We do it all the time and the staff is so appreciative. The staff at shelters are too busy with cleaning, medication, intake and adoptions, etc. to play with the animals and they NEED that to be friendly when potential adoptees visit. My shelter does not require any schedule, but I know some (Boulder Colorado comes to mind) that are more persnickity about scheduling visits.

Pip, that has to be my favorite photo of all your photos. Your dogs are so gorgeous.

Aw good idea! I have a neighbor with a small dog that seems to adore me. I knock on my neighbors door periodically to get my "Annabelle time". I will get a small lap cat when I am old and husband is older. I shall call her Pillow then my husband won't suspect anything :-)(just kidding)
    Becca
    Oregon