WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Beth – I’m so happy for your son. We do miss them when they grow-up. Hugs ! ! !

Katla – congrats on the exciting riding experience. It’s so fulfilling to accomplish such a wonderful feat ! ! !

Anne – I’m sure you can enjoy your cruise and never have to even look at the ex. You deserve to have fun ! ! !

Pip – So happy for Kirby on the treadmill. And for you ! ! !

Rori – Hooray for you all around ! ! !

Mindy – Your chili sounds delicious (I like to add a can of pumpkin to mine, for the extra richness and veggies). Enjoy ! ! ! And congrats on the lower pant size ! ! !

Penny – your musical weekend sounds right up my alley. I love all kinds of music. Thanks for narrating it so well ! ! !

KJLaMore – Rock on with your bad self ! I do that kind of thing, too. Nobody even bothers to laugh at me anymore.

DD made it, in spite of all the adversities that slowed down the trip. She brought with her the friend who recently lost her boyfriend, and that young lady definitely deserved the craziness of the weekend; she even smiled several times. All 6 of us were able to agree on a restaurant, and my DH was the butt of most of the jokes and he handled it well. Sunday I drove the girls to Navy Pier in Chicago for The Voice auditions. No one moved forward, but they made many friends, and we all talked and laughed as we walked and shopped and ate after the many hours of auditions. Another friend, a foster daughter of mine, just happened to be in the area with her new bf, so we met up with them, too. All that walking was 13,000 steps, so that was exciting.

My Dad road with his co-worker, the lady that I took to see Wynonna Judd. While the girls were in auditions, the 3 of us had a crazy time taking pictures of each other around the outside of the Pier, and a few inside with all the plants. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen my Dad have that much fun, too. Since he is having back surgery next month, we had to stop so he could sit, which just gave Shelley and me more opportunity to take silly or stunning pictures.

Saturday right after work was the JV bowling team championships, and our boys were H O T with 2 games over 250, so they won the division, so that was exciting. Then Sunday DH was in charge of DS at his Top Gun Invitational Bowling Tournament. He had 5 solid 200 games, then started leaving splits, so he finished 7th place. I’m so proud of his talents and behavior !

Today I won tickets to see Alan Jackson in April. I will invite my new friend, Shelley. If she wants to take her hubby I will happily bow out so they can enjoy an evening together.

It was a wonderfully crazy weekend for me, but it is now time to buckle-down and get serious.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Heather sorry you had such a bad reaction to the pneumonia shot. My DSIL got pneumonia the summer before last and was in ICU for over a week. The shot is to prevent this from happening to you. Still no fun when you have a bad reaction.

Well wishes to all.

Miss Michele too. I do know life can get quite busy.

Plp I too am looking forward to spring and outside flowers again.

:heart: Margaret
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Have a dentist appointment at 12 noon just to get my craggy teeth cleaned and checked. I hate going to the dentist or the doctor, so took one of my anti-anxiety pills a while ago. When I go, I grip the arms of the chair the whole time. :s
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I've watched the Puppy Bowl in the past and been charmed. This year I had the Super Bowl on the TV and sound off. I watched parts of the game with my son who is in another state via text on the phone. DH was uninterested. My actual goal was to see Budweiser Commercials. I'm not kidding about that. They had quite a group and some of them were very good. :wink:

Rori: Congrats on your Super Bowl victory! :bigsmile:

Penny: Your concert sounds delightful. :flowerforyou:

Beth: Congratulations to your son for a stirring performance at church. :smiley:

I have yoga today with the calisthenics queen. She is a nice person but her yoga class is the one I don't mind missing because it is clear to me that she doesn't really love yoga. She also teaches a body sculpting class and that is her area of personal interest. She does a great job with it. She had her third baby last fall and she looks amazing.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Katla, I love the Budweiser commercials with the Clydesdale horses. Those horses are really amazing.

A few years ago I was delivering Meals on Wheels and there was a sweet lady named Bernice who I got pretty friendly with. I would take her meal last on my route and sit with her while she ate. She was 99 years old and very tiny and frail, and told some really interesting stories about the old days. Her memory was amazing. It was fascinating to me. One of my favorites were the stories about the draft horses on her farm, and how much she loved them and missed them. I would sometimes take her to her doctor appointments, and one day after her appointment I was driving her home and she said "oh, you missed my corner". I said, "no, I have someplace else I need to go before we go home. I drove her over to the college where the Budweiser Clydesdales were camped, getting ready for a special event on campus. They had temporary stables set up in a special enclosure. (It wasn't open to the public.) I got out and spoke to one of the "handlers", and told him that I had an elderly lady in the van who would really love to see the horses. Well, he and another man came to the van and helped her out, then gave us a guided tour of the whole thing and she got to meet and pet every one of the horses. They were so gentle and kind to her - both the workers AND the horses. One of my favorite memories of Bernice was her face as we rounded the corner and she got a look at the horses. Her hands flew to her face and she said "OH!!!". She cried, I cried, and the two big guys were pretty misty too. She read off every horse's name and the horses came to the edge of the stable and she stroked each one. After she passed (at age 100) her niece told me how much that surprise meant to her and I cried all over again. In fact, I'm crying now as I'm typing this. She was such a sweet lady.

I'm sitting at the studio waiting for my son, so two hours ago said he was on his way. Yeah, right.

Gotta go. Have a great day everyone!

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Sylvia lovely story. Thank you!
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sylvia - What a beautiful story! You have a kind heart!

Donna in WV
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Lisa you sound pretty happy today! :)

More snow here in MA today. I love it, but then again, I don't have to go anywhere.

I realized that I hadn't been very good logging with planning out my food for the day and then it occurred to me that since I had to send my Mac back to my previous company, I have to use the desktop which doesn't happen as easily as when I had the laptop. Now that I am aware of that, I'll have to make a point of planning each day. It's not that easy from the phone.

P90x3 30 minutes done.
    Meals planned.
    Back on track.

Kimses in MA

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Sylvia ... I got misty reading your story ...
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Struggling today! The gym kicked my butt. Usually when I have to drag myself there I start to feel energized by the time it is over. Not today! We did steps, sumo squats, calf raises three ways, squats and lunges with the Smith Machine, and leg lifts. Normally I would love this workout, but it exhausted me. Then I forced myself to do two miles with DH at home outside. I did one mile on the elliptical to warm up before my class. I don't know if I'm coming down with something, tired from an exhausting weekend with less than stellar food choices, or psychologically tired from all that I have to do later this week. I have to drive to Nashville on Thursday for a two-day conference with the woman who never shuts up and has hold me her life story 50 times. Then, I have to fill in for my pastor on Sunday. I guarantee my energy will be back when it's all over.

Thanks for letting me whine!

K

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    :'( darn it.... picked up a flu bug on the weekend!!
  • paynevickie
    paynevickie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.....so back on it...injury July last year stopped me in my tracks and I have put on 3 stone ...so started today in earnest and back with PT..SO NEED THE RA RA RA of love and kick *kitten* support ..... Vickie
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    A snowy day here in NE oHIo.

Need some advice. I am going to have an at-home sleep study done tomorrow night. smiley-sleep012.gif I go and pick up the equipment tomorrow and learn how to set it up. Anything I should ask about the process tomorrow at my appt.? Any thing else I should concern myself with doing this sleep study?

I am a very restless sleeper. After getting my Fitbit in December I found out just how restless I am. On average more than 15 periods of restlessness. The first order of business for finding out why was the doctor ordering a sleep study at home.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheri in snowy NE oHIo
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, I have never had an in-home sleep study done. You will have to share all the details with us! I went to a sleep lab where all sorts of electrodes were glued to my head, chest and legs. I am curious if they do the same for you.

Katie, where in Nashville? I grew up there. My dad was the minister at St. George's Episcopal church. I just met a woman yesterday who does the Christian education for the Presbyterian church down the road from my dad's church. Her name was Martha, just like my baby sister.

Sylvia, your story was so uplifting!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Oh Sylvia; that was such a beautiful story. She was probably able to mark something off her 'Bucket List' or put it there to mark it off. They were in Albany several times and each time we went to see them. Once when the boys were little and once when my ODGD was little. They are so big and majestic for sure. One summer when the boys were little we went to the Jax. Bch., FL and we were walking in between 2 motels/hotels and the Blue Angels were putting on a show that had not been advertised. They were just at the base there to show ... we got a free show because we were so close to the base (south of Jacksonville - on the other side of the river). They gave a wonderful show and one jet went through the space between the hotels about 300 feet off the ground. My boys were just 'awed'. I am sure it rattled so of the windows. They flew so long through their time at the beach. They are usually at the Vidalia (GA) Sweet Onion Festival every other year of so; we usually plan to go when they are there) only time we were not able to go was because it was storming real bad and the show had to be cancelled. I need to find out when it is going to be this year so we can take the family over to watch them. The last time we went it was very cloudy and it was difficult to see most of the show.

Lenora = Feeling better is SWGA - USA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    rki6p4jforot.jpg

:'( Brandy has been licking the injured part on her leg so we had to get her a cone to wear :'(
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I did not watch the Super Bowl but checked out the internet this morning to find Budweiser commercials to see the puppies and gentle giants. I was really disappointed in this year's product commercial.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pip – I just walked 2.25 miles in 50 minutes on my treadmill. I was so proud of myself. Then I thot of you and laughed, thinking how much you do. Oh well, its good to be back doing something. So great to see Kirby picking up strength and speed. What an example for the rest of us.

Syliva - wrote “She cried, I cried, and the two big guys were pretty misty too. She read off every horse's name and the horses came to the edge of the stable and she stroked each one. After she passed (at age 100) her niece told me how much that surprise meant to her and I cried all over again. In fact, I'm crying now as I'm typing this. She was such a sweet lady.” And now we all just cried with you. What a beautiful story, thanks for sharing it with us.

DrKatieBug - lots on your plate it sounds like. Take care of yourself and don't get burned out. You blew me away with all you did. I was so proud of myself for walking 2.25 miles :)

Barbie – poor little Brandy, hope it clears up soon so she can be free of the cone. Also thanks for sharing the story of your Mom and the cornea implants. It has been so encouraging to hear stories from all you sweet friends.

Janetr OKC