WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Your lovely memory of taking Bernice to see the Clydesdales is so heart warming. Thank you for sharing. :heart: (My eyes are a little damp right now because of her sweetness and your kindness.)

Cheri: It is amazing what you learned from your fitbit! I hope you'll let us know how the sleep study goes. :smiley:

Barbie: Poor Brandy. I hope she heals quickly. :flowerforyou:

Sue in WA: Thanks for the Horse Illustrated tip. I'll see if I can locate a copy or read it online. :bigsmile:

Heather: Thighs of steel? I love that the idea is even in the realm we can giggle about. I've had thighs of jello for far too much of my life. They're improving. DH claims they don't jiggle, bless his heart. :devil:

Yoga today went well, especially inside my head. The Monday teacher has always been my least favorite. Her real interest is Body Sculpting, and sometimes yoga seems like a calisthenics class. I realized I needed an attitude adjustment. My new attitude improved the class for me. I had to work hard to make the adjustments needed for my broken wrist today. Tomorrow I go back to the doctor. I wonder whether he'll take another xray & whether I'll get any new instructions from him. I also plan to talk about learning to fall safely once my wrist has healed enough.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    crappy weather, snow,got to work and back alright.. Tom being a PIA again tonight, im tired going to sleep after my peppermint tea
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - Thank you for blessing me (us) by telling us that story. It made me misty, too.
  • Katla49
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sue: I found the article online and tried some of the exercises. They looked so easy--and now I can feel the after burn. They'e clearly beneficial, but also challenging. :noway:
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello All.

Today is a rest day, thankfully, since I'm dealing with vertigo. Man do I hate it! I took a half a meclizine last night when it started. This stopped the spinning, but I'm always dead tired the next day - and I worked as a substitute teacher. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back to myself as I planned a double exercise day.

Kristan
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Substitute teaching is really hard work! Give yourself a break Kristan and hopefully the vertigo will be gone by tomorrow.

I find myself trying to be a good listener at work, tough times are ahead, potential layoffs, talking about lots of uncertainty at every lunchtime/hallway conversation. I know that uncertainty is reality but right now I liked a little something more comforting, like a glass of red wine and puff pastry stuffed with cheese! Yikes, this is going to hurt when I log it, but so be it! I would say this is the most stress eating I have done in a long time, but tomorrow is another day and I will hold the line tomorrow as well as hit the gym.

Nice checking in with you all, wish I had gotten on to post before the wine and cheese!

Karen from NY
  • mbrown862015
    mbrown862015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    janetr OKC~2.25 miles on the treadmill. YOU GO GIRL!!! You know if you walk on a road you might just head outta town...so be careful aiming yourself on the actual roads...just telling you....I do 1 mile and I am tired... Can I get your energy in pill form?
    Becca
    Oregon

Lol. I'll be careful where I walk. Just keep up the good job you're doing. You'll see how much your energy level increases as you continue to lose. Hugs, girlfriend.

Janetr okc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, Attitude adjustment has helped me through many tough times. For a long time, one of my monthly resolutions was to act the way I want to feel (thanks to Gretchen Rubin) and my choice of "alacrity" as my word for 2016 has done the same thing. Bravo to you.

:)Sylvia, your are a kinder woman than I am....allowing your son to continue working in your studio after his outbursts

:)janetr, I can only compare myself to me or I would get terribly discouraged. I am doing a weight training program like Mary but I don't think about how much weight she can lift, just that I added 2 pounds to two of my lifts today and that I did it even though I really wanted to take a nap instead.

:)drkatie, what an awesome workout :)

:) Lucky Brandy, she seems to lick her wound only after she gets the medicine on it so she had to wear the collar only for an hour or so after the medicine and didn't have to wear it to eat supper, take her nap, or go for her walk.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where it was freezing at dawn and warm and sunny at midday

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Katla, I don't drink at all, but the kindness the Budweiser employees showed to my friend Bernice made me a fan. I hope they know what good ambassadors they have. And their commercials are fun to watch, too.

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I too loved your story. If I ever get to be 99 and have most of my faculties, I hope somebody would do something similarly uplifting for me!!!
    Well I got on the scale for the first time since vacation and am experiencing the scale version of mission creep--that goes back to Nixon I think. So I am really going to try to be good this week and see if I can reverse course.
    For those that have been asking about Michele, from what I can tell the Skype was a mixed bag and I am sure she could use some positive thoughts sent her way.
    I have been Skyping with my own MIA DD and believe me it is a real
    Emotional roller coaster. Some days I feel
    like I will lose my mind and some days maybe I really do reach that point. But I must get the strength to keep at it...
    Betty

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    I know others were doing introductions, re-introductions earlier and Lenora asked so here goes. I am 68, retired from hospital rehab department where I managed the therapy pools in May last year. Moved to WA in June. We bought 10 very overgrown acres so a lot of my exercise lately has been in the form of clearing and repairing. DD lives with DH and me on the acreage, couldn't do it without her. Definitely did not downsize. DS lives in Mill Creek, WA about 20 minutes away with DGD. Other family in northern CA which is why we moved this way. DH and I have been married 46 years. We have one cat, a standard poodle and one horse. DD has two cats and two horses. All are here on the acreage plus a barn cat that came with the place. I like to read, crochet and sing in the choir. I am looking forward to riding my horse more and love having her right outside the back door.

I was always one of the littlest kids in school, no weight problems until I got pregnant with my first child. I seemed to just keep gaining after that even though I was very active. Like most of you I have tried lots of things but did not really lose much until 2004 when I saw a bariatric doc and he put me on Optifast. It worked but is not something you can keep up lifelong and it really does not teach you how to eat properly. Have gained back most but not all of the weight and now trying to lose again with MFP. I eat mostly healthy food but the sugar demon gets me regularly. I am working hard on that. Hope to be more active on this thread now and make some headway.

Sue in WA and glad she does not have to put up with SD winter weather anymore.
  • kim824
    kim824 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm Kim. I'd like to join your group. How do I follow and keep updated?
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.20min, 13.3amph, 145mhr, 2.9mi = 123c
    spin- 42min, 85ar, 103aw, 11-13g 152mhr, 17.7mi = 335c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.53min, 10.8amph, 133mhr 1.4mi = 71c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.08min, 8.9amph, 154mhr, 2.6mi = 197c
    total cal 727

amph = average miles per hour
    mhr = maximum heart rate
    mi = miles
    ar - average revolutions per minute, how fast i'm pedaling
    aw = average watts -how much power i'm putting out per minute
    g - gear (1-24 on spin bike)
    c = calories
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Kim at the top of the screen is a little star touch that and it will turn yellow. Each month there is a new group setup do the same thing next month.
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Becca in Oregon I also thought you might be able to use mosquito netting or a piece of an old window screen.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • CheriGee2
    CheriGee2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi gals, you've been busy since I looked at the group posts. (9 pages ago) Anyway, I'll probably give them a quick look. Enjoyed the super bowl and DH and I had plenty to eat and snack on during the game. Good stuff, though. Shrimp cocktail and also baked shrimp which I'm going to make again to use as shrimp tacos. The baked shrimp was so excellent. Also had black olives and cheese and ham. No crackers for me. One shot of peppermint schnapps, which was a surprise. There was many other items on the buffet table, but I didn't eat that. Fun, friendship, good game (we didn't care who won), great food. Who can ask for more?