WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Pip, you are great! Made me laugh out loud!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    Pip, you are great! Made me laugh out loud!

I am here ONLYfor your amusement :0)

Grits - the speed he had on the treadmill was a 5.2 speed. His usual starting speed b4 the accident was like a 6.7-6.8sped. That's a big diff, but it's a start. I think the highest I've had it on has been a 10.0 and that's bookin it!. Today he did a 11.20min mi which is awesome compared to the first time which wa a mile in 18minutes
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Frugalshrimp: "My modest goals for this month: log food daily, and exercise at least 5 days a week." I absolutely love your goals! They aren't at all modest; they are the very core of this whole process. You've made an excellent start. Welcome to a great group of women. :flowerforyou:

Pip: It is great to see Kirby on the treadmill. The two of you are so well matched! Both of you know what you want to accomplish and do what it takes to get the job done. :bigsmile:

jehdog: Welcome. What part of the PNW do you call home? There are a few of us in NW Oregon, and more in Washington. We even have one or two on the east side of the Cascades. I live next to the Columbia River, downstream from Portland. :smiley:

Becca: Your DH is a gem. :heart: I love your sayings today. :smiley:

Heather: I also hope that your reaction to the pneumonia vaccination goes away quickly. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Congrats on 10K steps twice! :bigsmile

I talked to my riding teacher about saddles during my lesson today and she said "not now." I need to have a particular horse in mind when I spend the money. She offers me so many opportunities to stretch my ability that I am quite satisfied with the "status quo." Today's lesson was "Barrel Racing--" at a walk and jog. :wink: The "barrels" were plastic cones and I was on a bareback pad with no saddle. She had the horse on a lunge line for a while and I had no reins then. It was all slow and safe, but quite a thrill for me. I kept my balance using thigh muscles and posture & didn't fall off, or even almost fall off. I am very pleased with myself. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Had great day today. First time in weeks went out with some good friends. Had a few beverages and just relaxed did not look at my phone once and no messages from the ex. Still uneasy about going on the same cruise as him in a couple of weeks but not going to let myself have a bad time. I saved for 2 years to go on this trip. Actually feel like I might be able to sleep tonight.

Welcome any new member.

Thanks for all the suport. As usual love to see what everyone has going on. Makes me grateful for being part of this group. For those of you having a rough go of it. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Good night everyone.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • dnagel535
    dnagel535 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies - I am new to MFP and chatting, but after reading through some posts I decided to jump in with both feet.

My February goal is to Log everything and stay within my calorie count. I'm recovering from a breast reconstruction surgery that included removing fat from my stomach and I continue to have restricted movement - looking forward to being able to do "light cardio" beginning the middle of the month.

I am sure you will all be an inspiration and a motivation for me to stay on track - can't let enforced idleness be an excuse - have 25 - 30 pounds to lose.

Denise in Vermont
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)CJ, I just found a copy of "Simplify Your Life" on Paperback Swap. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the suggestion.

:) Barbie

You are welcome
  • CSSJ09
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Lenora~Ohh I love my tub of coconut oil! I put a small finger full in my hand, then cover it with the other hand to melt it. Then I start from my face and massage, (this body takes about 7 finger fulls!) all the way to my toes. It's a mini massage really. If I have dry eyes I put a smidgen on the inside lower lid and blink. I put it up my nose when I feel dry from the weather. I have yet to ingest it though. They say that if you put a small spoonful in your mouth and "Pull" it between your teeth and gums its suppose to be as beneficial as brushing your teeth. But you had to spit it out in your garbage can. It's really only beneficial after doing it for about 20 minutes. And they say, by then, it can dribble out of your mouth a bit....I have things to do darnit! No time for that. hahaha! I like how it soaks into my skin fast. Not just sitting on the surface, like any of the after shower oil based products. I have bought lavender oil (pure) and mixed it with almond oil for a nice after shower deal. It doesnt soak up as quickly as the coconut oil though.
    I have yet to cook with coconut oil either. I love my olive oil !

For a great experience put almond oil in your bath, and add some herbal tea packets...(I tie 4 bags altogether) and float in the water. Every so often I squeeze them. Its a great anti-inflammatory remedy. Once when I had a sunburn I used teabags and the pain went out of my skin really quickly. I have also used quick oats in a handkerchief when I had a lot of mosquito bites. Makes for a funky scented bath, and I got a bit hungry smelling oatmeal, but it worked!

So I bought an old wooden tennis racket. My idea is to put my earrings on the face of the racket, and then the handle will be horizontal with little nails to hold my necklaces. The only issue is my post earrings. Not sure how to incorporate those into the deal. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the encouragement regarding my journey! Glad to know I'm definitely not alone in this.
    Becca
    feeling grateful in
    Oregon

Hi Becca. Try covering the face of the racket in fine netting - the kind used in wedding dress or ball gowns as puffy slips or little girl fancy dresses. Take a couple pairs of your post earrings and make sure they go through the netting but don't fall through when you secure the backs.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    thanks katla! I am very touched by your comment.
  • CSSJ09
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    syyenvrusgw7.jpeg
    After the 2 mi, he tried the treadmill for the first time. Had to hold on for support but was able to do it

Fantastic
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    :)PIp, How great to see Kirby running on the treadmill.

:)Katla,..you are making amazing strides on your riding

:) We aren't watching the Super Bowl. Since the Sea Hawks aren't playing, we don't care

:) I talked today to a friend who broke her foot. I knew she was used to being very active and she told me that she'd found a video on YouTube with a 40 minute cardio workout to do seated with a broken foot....there are no barriers to finding some sort of exercise that will work.
  • CSSJ09
    Options
    Katla

I talked to my riding teacher about saddles during my lesson today and she said "not now." I need to have a particular horse in mind when I spend the money. She offers me so many opportunities to stretch my ability that I am quite satisfied with the "status quo." Today's lesson was "Barrel Racing--" at a walk and jog. :wink: The "barrels" were plastic cones and I was on a bareback pad with no saddle. She had the horse on a lunge line for a while and I had no reins then. It was all slow and safe, but quite a thrill for me. I kept my balance using thigh muscles and posture & didn't fall off, or even almost fall off. I am very pleased with myself. :embarassed:

Congratulations on the barrel racing.
    CJ

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Didn't get to church this morning. Back still bothering me and the thought of sitting on those hard wooden pews was not nice at all. Pip, i just love the pic of Kirby on the treadmill. Have not watched any of the Super Bowl at all. Anyone from Indiana is going to root for the Denver Broncos because of Peyton Manning. I really don't care. I did watch Lady Gaga singing the National Anthem. I wish there was less vocal 'gymnastics' but I was surprised at how well she did compared to what her track record is. And she was decently dressed.

My husband's brother actually called him today! They see each other for funerals and that is it. Their Mom died 3 years ago and they haven't seen each other since. I had called them when he had his heart attack and when he had meningitis and he didn't see him. But he called him to let him know that the one remaining sibling of their Dad had
    died. So now Charlie is the oldest in the family. So I asked Charlie which night he wanted to go to visitation and he said he had no interest in going since hadn't seen him in many years.Sigh

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)PIp, How great to see Kirby running on the treadmill.

:)Katla,..you are making amazing strides on your riding

:) We aren't watching the Super Bowl. Since the Sea Hawks aren't playing, we don't care

:) I talked today to a friend who broke her foot. I knew she was used to being very active and she told me that she'd found a video on YouTube with a 40 minute cardio workout to do seated with a broken foot....there are no barriers to finding some sort of exercise that will work.

thanks! it is great to see him on the treadmill. funny, i didn't care even when the seahawks were playing. kirby is watching the game, i'm not paying attention. i only pay attention for the commercials and 1/2 time...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I found something fun that's football related. We watched the "Puppy Bowl" on Animal Planet. It was hilarious, but the best part was watching Molly watch the puppies. She especially liked the kitten half time show. Neither of the other dogs watched, but she was watching every minute.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I had a great day. My Broncos won the Super Bowl!!!! My fitbit registered my heart at over 90 for most of the game, but I also got in over 10,000 steps pacing through the nerves. Ate and drank very moderately as decided to stay at home instead of going to a party where the temptations would be many. Happy dance!!!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Celebrating the Denver Broncos, Superbowl 50 Champions!!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    I had a great day. My Broncos won the Super Bowl!!!! My fitbit registered my heart at over 90 for most of the game, but I also got in over 10,000 steps pacing through the nerves. Ate and drank very moderately as decided to stay at home instead of going to a party where the temptations would be many. Happy dance!!!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Celebrating the Denver Broncos, Superbowl 50 Champions!!

I'm right there with you. I was born and raised in Denver, oldest daughter still lives there, along with sisters and many, many extended family members. I worked for the original owner of the Broncos for 9 years. Took phone calls on Monday mornings from people with lots of advice on how to run the team or "get rid of the quarterback". I loved every minute of it. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Bronco fan. So thrilled they won.

Janetr OKC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jmok01
    jmok01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Greetings!
    Checking in to say “howdy”! I’ve been reading as much as I can and I thank you all for your collective wisdom, advice, and humor through your posts. Thinking of those of you with health, family, job, or other challenges. “Woo Hoo” to those of you with victories of any kind – scale, NSV, or anything else!

January ended in a 2 pound gain for me. I’ve been eating larger portions, more sweets treats, and not exercising. So I’m grateful it’s only a 2 pound gain. I’m struggling to get on track. So I’m going back to the “plan” I followed when I started losing weight: Eat less that I did when I gained weight, and move more than I did. That allowed me to make small changes and as I start to lose a little weight, I felt better. As a result, I became more diligent at logging food, eating more healthy food, and exercising more. Worked for me last year, so will try it again.

Tonight I set a goal to finish my internship for my MED (Master of Education) degree by the end of February. I made a timeline to help me stay on track. As a result, I may not have much time to check in over the next 3 weeks, but I will be thinking of you all!

Joyce in SD (still faceless since I can’t get my picture to post and haven’t gotten assistance from MFP help staff yet)

All that is necessary to break the spell of inertia and frustration is this: Act as if it were impossible to fail. That is the talisman, the formula, the command of right about face that turns us from failure to success - Dorothea Brande