WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    slept well, going to go feed DFIL and then maybe go see auntie.. she had surgery on her arm yesterday and dont know if she will still be at the hospital or back at the rehab place.. have pot roast in crock pot..
    welcome to the newbies
    Pip~ love the fence!!!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, don't give up! There is always a way. I had been almost to the point of giving up when my orthopedic doc said no exercise but swimming, and I did not have access to a pool. Then I had the brainstorm of getting a hot tub to work out in! There is always a way around restrictions, it just takes time to find it sometimes. We are all behind you 100%.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi all!

Quiet day today. I'm having 7 pieces of my Dim Sum for lunch. :D 40 cals per piece. I always have a large blob of chilli sauce with it.
    Game stew for dinner with cauliflower and peas or broad beans. Got to decide what to put in the stew. Cider, beer or wine?
    I'm also going to make muffins for DH. Lemon and blueberry, with a lemon curd filling. :D Fortunately I'm not tempted. Thank goodness.

Then finish off Saturday's newspaper.

The sun is shining! I'm looking online at a new patio table as we're going to spend the summer at home. Ours is DH's old one from his previous house. It's small. Also going to check out someone to spruce up the patio. People advertise in the parish magazine.
    I have resigned myself to paying for it from my own money as DH can't see the point of a new one, nor the point of cleaning the patio. I would like to eat outside more. Will get a second parasol as well.
    DH is going to be spending a whole shed load of money on new guttering this summer as we have had a terrific problem with water pouring down the walls. The wall is stained and mouldy and needs serious work to restore it. He had someone come on Friday to measure for quotes for aluminium. At the moment it is flimsy plastic and can't cope with the downpours we have had this year, the wettest ever. Then get someone to repair the damaged walls. :ohwell:
    Money, money, money. But it's only money. :ohwell: I told myself, when I sold my flat, that I wasn't going to be mean if I needed something. This would make me happy as I have almost completely gone off going outdoors to eat. Mind you, there's nearly always someone making a racket with a strimmer, or a mower or kids or dogs. It's not quiet in the countryside. :noway: They seem to love to make a noise at lunchtime at the weekends. I think you call strimmers "weedwhackers" . They are the bane of my life. :grumble:

Love, Heather UK
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    Heather, strimmers are bad, but what I hate the most is the leaf blowers. They are so incredibly noisy! And to me they scream, " I am too lazy to rake!"
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Anne from Wisconsin - No, you don't want to sleep like them. It would probably indicate you have 'sleep apnea'. If you snore ... then you need a C-pap which means you need to go the a Lung MD, or have you GP refer you to one. A Neurologist can also give you the order (for 2 tests). First one will be to decide if you DO snore - without a mask; then the 2nd one will be 'with' a mask. You cannot believe how much better you sleep with a C-pap. I could 'snore' in any position. Ask a family member to stay up after you've gone to sleep to find out if you snore a lot. Doing that will let you decide you want to submit it to the insurance company to have. If you are snoring you have stopped breathing; snoring is the body's way of 'gasping' for air. So many things that are affected by 'sleep apnea'. Bad on your heart, bad for your weight loss, and 'tired' even though you 'think' you have slept 7 - 8 hours a day. You need to get to that REM sleep to actually sleep; and, to 'dream'.

pip34 - LOVE the yard. Is that the bike that Kirby was using when he got hit?

Lenora

My sleep issues are currently related to a long term relationship breakup. Getting use to sleeping alone again and getting my thought to a better place so I can fall asleep. I try to not nap during the day because it just makes the nights worse.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • miriamwithcats
    Options
    http://www.yourtango.com/2015276377/you-can-get-PTSD-from-psychologically-abusive-relationships

Someone crawled in to my brain during my marriage, and wrote a blog about it!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    sylvia no no no, turn back from the verge of giving up. You will find the foods that dont irritate your digestion, youve come too far now!

pip your back yard is an inspiration, cant wait for early spring to work outside.

Big work week ahead, planning on meals for the week and the big send off on friday when dh and dd go off to a 2 week trip to india! I will miss them soooooo much.
    Karen from ny
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    <3Sylvia, Do not be discouraged.....get a good night's sleep and start anew.....make a list of foods you can eat, then highlight the ones that have the most food for the fewest calories, plan some meals that include those foods....there are more ways to exercise than just walking five miles a day....look in water exercise or seated exercise (look on the internet), keep reading this thread because all your friends here are going to have great ideas....never, never, never give up. You have been using all your energy lately to do things for your son and grandchildren...now it's time to take care of yourself like your life depended on it (because it does) <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    My sleep issues are currently related to a long term relationship breakup. Getting use to sleeping alone again and getting my thought to a better place so I can fall asleep. I try to not nap during the day because it just makes the nights worse.

Anne from Wisconsin

<3 Sleep issues are temporary...take it one day at a time and one day you'll be sleeping with the same serenity as your dog. :) Until then, use the time to read frivolous novels to turn your mind to something other than your own life.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- Hang in there! I don't know what your nutrition needs/restrictions are; but I have had to switch over to a protein driven diet. Which, took me about two months to get used to because I have never been a big meat eater. I eat four meals a day (my day begins at 4:30 am and goes until about 9pm) and each meal consists of about 35 g of protein, 15g carbs, and 10g fat. 35g of protein is about 4 1/2 oz of meat or 1 1/2 cup of greek yogurt or cottage cheese. ANyway, I really understand your struggle! Just hang in there! Try and find food choices that work for you. You seem very active, so exercise probably isn't an issue for you. Remember to use seasoning to add variety to your food choices.

Lenora - If you break down your tamale recipe into the "food" tab of mfp, it will figure out your calories. There are also a million sites on line that can break down your food choices into fat, calories, sugar, sodium etc.

Pip- Love the fence and the lights! What a cute idea to light up the bike! What color are you thinking of staining it? Are you planning a "color" or a more natural wood stain? It would look kind of cool in a multi wood stain...

Kim-I agree with your line of thought on the oils. My sister with cancer is beginning her chemo and radiation next week, but has been reading about cannabis oil "cures". She is thinking about going that route if she can't handle the chemo/radiation. Her life. I will back her, whatever she chooses. The oils are becoming very popular with my daycare families. A few of the families are trying them on their kids to help with behaviour/tantrum issues. I just sit back and watch and listen to their stories about what "Johnny" did last night. They seem generally confused as to why the lavender oil worked one day but not the next. Welcome to raising a two year old! lol Ah well, times have changed.

Anne- hope sleep comes for you! I know it is hard, when you are finally still after a busy day, and your brain is saying "WAit! I'm not done thinking yet!" I have to meditate or focus on relaxing each body part to put myself to sleep. Seriously! I start at my toes/feet and think "go to sleep feet" and I breathe slowly as I relax each part and work my way up my body. I am usually asleep before I get to my head. I hope you find a way that works for you!

I really envy all of you ladies, your dogs! I grew up with a dog and he was like my brother. My dad brought him home the day my mom brought me home from the hospital (as a newborn). Although there were three other kids in our family at the time, he chose me. He slept under my crib and then in my bed as I got older. He walked me to school every day, walked himself back home, and when the bell rang to dismiss school, I would step out the front door of school and he would be right there waiting for me. My hubby and daughter have allergies so we never had a dog while our kids were growing up. The only thing standing in my way now, is my daycare business. (I don't think of hubby being an obstacle anymore) I would need to build a dog run in the yard (I want a big dog) because I just couldn't stand to lock a dog in a room while the kids are here. *sigh* a goal to work for.

Well, I have to get busy! My two biggies on my 'to-do" list for today: Fix my sink and buy new shoes! Yea! Looking for some new Brooks or Asics! The sun is out today, too, so as soon as I get my new kicks, I think I will head down Lake Michigan to have a look-see and maybe get a photo for you all!

Have a beautiful Sunday, friends! Welcome new friends!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to All! :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm coming round to just having the patio cleaned and buying a new parasol for the small round table after it's been cleaned. I hate spending money. :ohwell:

Miriam - I hate those things too, but people tend to use them in the autumn, when I'm not usually trying to eat outside. (Wasps etc) It's those lovely, lazy, warm days of spring and summer when the neighbours get out their strimmers. :grumble:
    I'm not really an outdoors person, but I do like a nicely laid table under a big umbrella. On the three days a year you can enjoy it in this country. :ohwell:

I won't be eating the muffins, which look adorable, but I did scrape the lemon curd jar clean. :embarassed:

My arm is sore from the pneumonia jab and I'm feeling a bit under the weather. Cooked for 70 minutes. Enough already! :laugh: Time for a paracetamol. :)

Love Heather UK
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pip34 – LOL!!!! Kirby’s got to remember to look up a little. B) Hope he had his headgear on when he hit the pole. In the Bicycle Club I belonged to had riders from ‘novice’ up to ‘team riders’. They’d start going and rarely look up at the road. When riding a Century or Half Century, as novices … we tried to stay out of their way at the beginning. They were long gone in 15 – 20 minutes … out of sight. I’ve seen old rusty bikes as ‘art’ on people’s walls.

Kim – Thanks, ;) I’ll google them online.

OMG ... the symptoms have returned. :s>:):# Same pain; just not as big of ball (weight) pressing against my bladder. Felt ok on Thursday and Friday. It hit me again on Saturday. Supposed to call GYN this week to tell him how I am doing. Calling him first thing in the AM. Hopefully, Mondays are not his regularly scheduled day for surgery. Not a whole lot better than before. Last Tuesday afternoon and night ... took 3 different types of OTC medication to help me have BM ... that hit me with a vengeance. Wednesday AM ... stayed in bathroom with them working overtime. Went to MD later that day so he could empty my bladder with catheter. :D Then on Thursday had a sonogram done of kidneys, bladder, and the tubes from "K" to "B". No stones, no tumors, both working like they should. :( OOOOOO KKKKKK! ... 'if' you say so. Radiologist is always there on Thursday ...; so, I got 'his' reading at the same time.

Came home after the first time going - feeling a lot better that I had told the nurse about my 'fears' before he came in. Thankfully, he did not do either exam that day. We had laughed about what I feared most ... covering him face-high or waist-high. B) - this is about as close as needing a brown paper bag to wear; and, I would have needed one if I'd done this ... to be able to 'talk' to him in his office face-to-face. I had 'thought' about actually decorating one up with "Guess who; and, the first two - don't count." for my Thursday's appointment. But, I figured that he 'might' have agreed with DH about the 'manic moment' and I would have been dragged off in a white 'jacket' buckled in the back. I've claustrophobic and do not want my arms strapped down. That night (Wed.) had a 'giggling & laughing' jag that lasted 10 -15 minutes or longer. DH thought I was about to have a 'manic moment' and that scared him. He really did not want to have to drive me 2 hours to my PsycheMD to admit me in the hospital up there. He's done that before ... OOhhhhh 'shoot-a-monkey'. Finally, able to tell him what I was laughing about ... he DID NOT think it was 'nice' ... and he DID NOT think it was 'funny'. GYN wears some nice expensive clothes under his white coat'. He'd probably would've needed to throw his white coat in the trash. If you get 'that picture'. I don't think he would been RITFLHAO! His nurse? Well, she got my scenario of what I feared most. LOL! <3 her for this. She even told me, "I'll pay you.........!" "Sorry, not a chance in Hell!" This might have happened before in 'child birth' to someone ...; but, this would have been 'my first'. It's bad enough to have the 'jelly' come out after a rectal exam. Yuk!

Today I have the feeling of a softball sized something pressing/dancing on top of my bladder with my 'broken' (2x) tailbone with a hook into the ball keeping it in place. At least, so far the softball is not as 'heavy as the 'bowling ball' feeling that was there a week ago. Was planning on having another test, that will put a small camera on the end of the catheter so they can check inside my bladder in 6 weeks. Probably to give my poor urethra a little time to recuperate. Please pray that they can 'hopefully' figure out what is going on up in there. :# Have taken Miralax (last night, this morning) and still don't have anything but pressure. :o ; but, know not to make the same mistake ... must be 'patient' ... not one of my better 'virtues' o:) I'm going to talk to him about 'prolapses'. I've had a total hysterectomy; there is no uterus to prolapse ... ! Burning again with urination ... almost feels like it has had a hot poker stuck up my vagina that comes out right at my tailbone apparently is trying not to let anything 'fall out'. Women's issues! Even though he has treated me for 40 years, I still get embarrassed about 'some' things' LOL! My GYN always subjects you to a rectal exam when he gives you a vaginal exam. Not looking forward to hearing him tell me, "Relax, relax, .. ok, relax". Yeah right ... this feels like it 'must' feel when a man gets his prostate gland checked. Just as embarrassing of a 'pose'. Might even be close' to what it feels like. Heating pad, ... ice - isn't touching it. Need to find my muscle relaxants and the few pain pills I have. But, afraid both will not help with the urge to go. >:) ... YIKES!!!!! Urge to push and that only gets worse. :'(

About the only position to relieve the pressure is to sit with my knees bent, legs pulled up to my groin and let my legs fall apart; but, that is 'temporary'. Even with rocking side-to-side.

I might not come back to this site today.
    Lenora
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    smiley-greet024.gif
  • lajeffery
    lajeffery Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Happy Sunday All! Sad to say I'm seriously lacking the motivation to even get out of bed today. The weather here is playing havoc with my body. 62 degrees on day, 28 degrees the next. I'm in the middle of an arthritis flair, and fighting the lingering effects of pneumonia. I just can't seem to shake the cough.

DH is working today and I need to get the weekly meal prep done, finish laundry, and make an attempt to clean the house. Weekends just don't seem to be long enough to get everything done.

Okay, I'm done with my pity party. Time to get up and moving. I have a 30 pound Beagle standing on my chest. He wants his breakfast!

Lisa in DC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

kjlamore- i am not staining anything, the guy that built it is. gonna stain it for protection

grits - kirby has never been on the bike without a helmet. this was one of those poles that are in the middle of a paved trail to keep cars off of it so they won't use it as a road. its the same color as the pavement which is dumb and yes he was looking up. when we do century rides or non century, we always look up
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sylvia: I hope you will not give up. Ask your doctor to refer you to a nutritionist to help with setting up your diet. (((hugs))) I just noticed that Kim has already given you the same suggestion. It must be a good idea. :wink:

Lisa: Your writing assignments certainly provide lots of variety and it sounds as though you've found an enjoyable & interesting job. :smiley:

Pip: I love the lighted bike in the back yard. :flowerforyou:

anbriggs: Welcome!

Heather: Your idea of sprucing up the patio is a good one. We bought a cast aluminum table and chairs at Costco years ago and still have it. It is set up for four but the table is big enough to squeeze in another chair or two. It would be a good idea to have it repainted at this point, but I love the thing. We put casters on the chairs so they roll easily on our deck. Happy shopping! :bigsmile:

Miriam: We have a neighbor in our town-home community who is an ocd leafblower user & the homeowners association had to put limits on hours one can be used. He used it morning, noon and evening to blow-dry his car every time he washed it. He also used it to blow dust off his deck and onto the deck of his next-door neighbor. :noway:

I read your blog. It is so articulate and helps me understand how someone can be undermined by an abuser. It must have taken great courage to get out of the situation. :flowerforyou:

Leonora: I hope you are able to get medical support quickly. Let us know how you're doing when you can. :flowerforyou:

Riding lesson today. Yay! This is my weekly gift from DH to the horse-crazy little girl inside me. He is so supportive and I am grateful. I will talk to my teacher about saddles and such. I know she will have good ideas.

I hope you will each find a way to include some fun in your day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison