WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Replies

• 1idd
    1idd Posts: 14 Member
    My main focus is to try tracking and planned better for meals.
    Donna I can relate that this is important but can be hard at times. Good luck!
    I'm trying tracking my meals ahead of time and adjusting later as necessary.
    IDD
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Lisa, Lisa? Hello, hello? Anybody there? We miss you, hope everything is ok.

Janetr
  • janetr7476
    Heather, you will do great with the DGC, especially with your DH there to help and to entertain them. Sounds like you have it all under control and planned well, as usual. Enjoy them while you can. My oldest grandson is already 22 and twice as big as me.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Joyce – My husband wears the S/M Depends and I have bought him extra pads to go in them (also intended for use of not being able to hold it in) when it does start to flow. I even bought him some rubber pants that I found in a catalog we get … I did not know if he would even wear them; but, he has and now he hasn’t wet his pants since. I ordered the S/M for him and now he feels a bit better about not wetting his pants out in public.
    I use the Hall’s Lemon flavored ones – to me they don’t have that awful after-taste that some of them have. I don’t use the sugar-free ones; I’d rather post the 35 calories in each of them. I also use them if my mouth is dry; but, would prefer to get the ACTS lozenges that are meant for dry mouth; I usually can find them at Publix. The Urologist is going to do that procedure where they put a small camera up into his bladder to see what is going on inside there. He thinks it is scar tissue; but, doesn't think that it is his prostate cancer coming back because his PSA is always Zero.

GloworminWA – When we sold our house the night it was listed; I think I went into a ‘manic episode’; I did not do any of the packing and don’t remember moving out here other than the shed (now my art studio) was built first and we had been staying with DOS’s family. I never felt like I was welcomed there and when I ‘tried’ doing things like watching the TV or loading dishes into the dishwasher, or even washing clothes – I was treated like they did not want me ‘snooping’. I was never snooping; I just put their clothes on their bed (which I would make up). I just stopped doing anything after that (other than having to call DOS to find out how to change the TV channels); they had 3 different remotes that they had to use on their TV. I finally got to where I told DH that I’d stay in town with a friend and wait for the house to be finished before I would stay another night at my DOS and DDnL#1’s house. Since the shed was finished DH and DOS went and took out all the stuff (other than all the furniture) and brought home the king-sized bed; and we slept there with boxes stacked up all around us. Used the porta-john I had from my wreck, had a 2-eyed burner and coffee pot and the only reason I would go over to their house was to watch TV during the day, never changing the channels. If a daytime soap opera came on, I just walked back to the shed and read.

Heather - My DDnL#1 is back on another ‘fad’ type diet. DOS says that she has already lost 10lbs; but she is so big, it is difficult to see it. We’ve been told by DOS not to say anything to her; but, he also said that ‘this’ time is the ‘last’ time she will go on another ‘diet’ … he doesn’t care if she gets up to 400 or 500lbs – he isn’t going to pay another dime. DH and I have already made bets on whether or not she will stay on it and actually lose it. The last time she even said anything about her weight; she admitted that she was 280lbs. She never lost any of her baby weight; especially after the YDGD was born; because she had 'blood clots' in her legs and had to stay off them and take Cuminin to break them up. After that she'd used that as an excuse not to do any exercise. She also eats the wrong things as if there is no tomorrow. She drinks 2 sodas a day, too. She thinks she can take a magic pill or vitamin and wake up in a week and be thin. She has not said one word to me about my weight loss … NAHDA! I don't even say anything about it in front of her. She has said that whatever I have lost has found her.

Lenora
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Hi Ladies - I've been MIA for a couple of weeks and just no way I can catch up on the hundreds of posts I have missed. Work has been very busy and doesn't look like it will slow down any time soon. But, I'm back and not going to check out again.

I was accepted to a program in my town called uFit. It's a 12 week program and they only accepted 15 participants. The program is through our community action network and it's sponsored by a local health club and a local grocery store. Our kickoff meeting was last night and I'm pretty excited. We get a free 3-month membership to the health club, a beginning and ending biometric screening, a couple of sessions with a personal trainer, and weekly classes on nutrition through the grocery store. They split the 15 of us into 5 groups of 3 each with a mentor from the program so that we can help motivate each other. I have my first session with the personal trainer tonight, our first nutrition class tomorrow, and then my beginning biometric screening on Thursday. It is going to take some dedication to get to all the classes and get my workouts in, but I am excited.

On a more serious note, I've been reading about some of the health concerns for you ladies, your hubby's and friends. My dad is also having some health problems. He is scheduled for surgery on his back on Thursday morning. If I understand correctly, they are going to remove some bone from his lower back where his spinal bones have been fusing together and pinching on the nerves down into his right leg. He's not in pain, but the lack of feeling in his leg is causing him to be unsteady and fall. This has been going on for a couple of years, but it took awhile to figure out what was causing the issues. There is a chance this surgery will not help, because the nerve could have been pinched off so long that it won't regain any feeling but this is his best chance. Anyway, he's had to get a couple of other things done in preparation for this surgery, including having some polyps removed from his colon on Monday. He now has the OK from his general doctor and the anesthesiologist and he meets with the surgeon tomorrow to get the final clearance to proceed. He'll be in the hospital for a couple of days and then off to the nursing home for a couple of weeks so that he can get the care he needs during his recovery. As you are remembering everyone else in your prayers, say a quick word for my dad. Hoping he gets cleared for this surgery and it is successful in getting his legs working again.

Love and hugs to you all. <3
    Linda in Iowa
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Drkatiebug - I would suggest that your exercise class leader read up on heavy lifting compound lifts and kettle bell swings. Especially if she wants to lose her pooch and tighten her abs and nether regions. Both of these weightlifting and weight training exercises will help your arms to shrink in size. Women are not like men we do not bulk.

Mindy -Great pictures! It sounds like you are having a blast and getting your exercise in as well. Have fun and keep in touch!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    drkatiebug wrote: »

Well. Our leader has decided that we need to suspend all weight training for two weeks and work on core. She's been reading some kind of science that says the reason she and the other lady still have their pooches is because they aren't breathing right and paying attention to their core and pelvic floor. So we are doing these exercises that concentrate on breathing. We are supposed to imagine picking up a blueberry with our nether region (sorry, TMI) while inhaling and exhaling. This week we are doing one exercise with the stability ball, glute bridge, clams, and leg lifts, concentrating on when we breathe and lifting and putting down the blueberry. We are doing 3 sets of 10 reps and that is it! We are allowed to walk, but not run or lift weights, not that I ran anyway.

Am I wrong to be unhappy? I don't see how this is going to help at all with my back fat and upper arms, but of course continued weight loss will help.

Thoughts?

I'm sorry .... I'm still laughing about the blueberry! :naughty:

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,971 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »

Well. Our leader has decided that we need to suspend all weight training for two weeks and work on core. She's been reading some kind of science that says the reason she and the other lady still have their pooches is because they aren't breathing right and paying attention to their core and pelvic floor. So we are doing these exercises that concentrate on breathing. We are supposed to imagine picking up a blueberry with our nether region (sorry, TMI) while inhaling and exhaling. This week we are doing one exercise with the stability ball, glute bridge, clams, and leg lifts, concentrating on when we breathe and lifting and putting down the blueberry. We are doing 3 sets of 10 reps and that is it! We are allowed to walk, but not run or lift weights, not that I ran anyway.

Am I wrong to be unhappy? I don't see how this is going to help at all with my back fat and upper arms, but of course continued weight loss will help.

Thoughts?

Well, Beth, there were other visuals also suggested (instead of a blueberry), but I could not bring myself to even describe them to y'all.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Good afternoon dear friends! I'm a much happier camper today. The kids are back at school at last, so I can try to resume my daily life. It's nice to have interactions with adults again.

We had a co-op meeting today and it went well. We walked a block to look at a building that is three times the size of my gallery, so we're all excited about renting that space instead of using mine. It's more expensive, but I think it will be worth the cost, and will accommodate more artists, which will of course offset the costs. We have a big meeting planned for the 25th of this month, which will be open to all the artists in the area to see who is interested. Fingers crossed that we can find 24!

The kids were so happy to get to eat breakfast at home (they asked if they could call our home their home while they are staying there) this morning, and they each got to take a sack lunch. Usually they eat the free breakfast and lunch at the school. I used to hate taking sack lunches, but apparently the school lunches are no treat. We called my son last night to say goodnight and he was barely civil to the kids, or to me. I think he's given up in lots of ways, and thinks everything is everyone else's fault. And of course he's in pain and on a lot of drugs. It breaks my heart, but I can't let him hurt the kids any more than they will be hurt already if he does pass away.

We have started putting Molly in the laundry room (off the kitchen) behind a baby gate so she can see the kids and hopefully get used to them. They have even taken her several treats which she accepts, then puts it down and barks, then picks the treat up again. Silly dog. She could easily get through the baby gate, but so far she has made no move to do that. Baby steps... Spot has started nipping too, especially the little guy, so we have to put a stop to that.

I told my son that we would come by after school again today. He said OK, so that's something. My grandson is going to choose what to have for dinner tonight. I can't wait to see what he picks.

It was a little bit of a rush to get around this morning. I got up at 6:00 and we got out the door at 7:30. We weren't late, but it would be nice to have had a few more minutes. Maybe tomorrow I'll get up at 5:30. I wasn't sleeping much anyway though. Kept thinking of laundry and dishes. I used to do a load of dishes about twice a week and now it's more like twice a day. And we have to find a way to get the kids to bed earlier. Last night it was 9:00 before they finished baths and brushed teeth. I want to start having a half hour or so for reading every night before bed too. It's hard on hubby. He's used to watching his big TV every night till about 11:00, and with the kids sleeping in the living room he can't do that. We just have a teeny tv in the bedroom.

Well, I have drafting to do and an hour to do it. Later!

Sylvia
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,847 Member
    Just popping on for a minute! Katie- the blueberry visual is hilarious (and yes, I did try it after I read it)! Isn't that a kegel exercise? But I do agree with Mary, kettlebell swings are something I do and I can definitely feel them the next day in my core. I swing between 35/40lb bells. If your leader is stuck on doing just basic core work, so you have weights or bands at home, you could get some nice arm work in at home. Maybe some planking or push-ups?

Mindy- It looks like you are having a great time! Takes lots of pics and share when you can! Safe travels!

Linda- prayers going out for your dad. My MIL had to have a similar surgery done on her back/nerves. She was about 80 when she had it and the feeling came back in her legs just fine. Praying for the same for your dad. Have fun with your 12 week challenge. I won a drawing for a local challenge like that last September, it went well, but then bad news re family member had me stress eating over the hols and I gained everything I lost. As soon as I got my head together I found this wonderful group and am making my way back on track. I am sure you will do fine and have a fun time doing the challenge!

I have had a busy day with my daycare kids today, plus an unscheduled visit from a licensing field rep (it all went well, but was just time consuming) left me with only a couple minutes to grab a bite for lunch. SO...I did a no-no and ate about a cup and a half of mac and cheese. Pasta is something I really have to limit for myself. But I was hungry/hangry. And Hangry and babies don't mix. Just as I finished my illegal lunch, my son came home from class. His afternoon classes were cancelled so he stopped at our fave restaurant in downtown Grand Rapids, Two Beards Deli, and got us both a sandwich. He got me the Obi-Wan Kenobi (chicken breast, portabello mushrooms, red peppers, provelone, lemon mayo on whole wheat panini). I was seriously bummin'. So, I stripped off the bread, and I will save the fixin's and put them in a lettuce wrap for dinner. If any of you are ever in GR, MI, make a stop at Two Beards. They have like 100 sandwiches, soups, and salads on their menu.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Hey, guys... I'm alive and kicking... More later.

Lisa in West Texas
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    I've had the 'munchies' all day long; now over my caloric intake by 400+ calories. I don't know the reason for it either. I've gone over my caloric intake all but 1 day since last weigh-in on the 9th. I've got to do better beginning tomorrow. I think it has to do with stress and I am eating to try to make myself feel better. I don't want to go to weigh-in next Tuesday and have put on weight ... doing too good to slide backwards. :'(
  • mollywhippet
    Oh my gosh! The sky just fell. My son called to say that he is out of the hospital and left against medical advice, which may mean that his insurance won't pay. That's all he needs. He says he is too weak to have the kids so he wants me to keep them a little longer. I don't know how to tell him that they are better of with us. Maybe he will figure that out on his own.

Fingers crossed.
  • mollywhippet
    I forgot to mention though, that my weight was down three pounds since this all happened. The kids were keeping me hopping!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    OK Becca if you are going to have lunch with PIP count me in as you will bypass me on the way to Tacoma! I am now 40 minutes closer to you than I was before - in Lacey which is just next to Olympia.

oooh that is so doable!!! Well, on the map it kind of does.... To go up to visit son in Oak Harbor, we drove up to Port Townsend and took the ferry to his island. Lacy, and Tacoma is kind of on the way:-) In the summertime we can plan this!
    Becca
    Reunion coordinator for MFP in
    Oregon...lol
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member

Thoughts?

my dear sweet raunchy husband tells me tales of "ladies of the evening" that could pick up coins (and make change)!!! TMI is right!!!
    Becca
    blushing in Oregon
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Oh Sylvia! I'm thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome. :heart:
  • janetr7476

Thoughts?

Well, Beth, there were other visuals also suggested (instead of a blueberry), but I could not bring myself to even describe them to y'all.

DrKatieBug - now that one got me laughing for sure. Too funny!!!

Janetr OKC