WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Hey, guys... I'm alive and kicking... More later.

Lisa in West Texas

Glad you are ok. I thot of you when the Supreme Court Justice died at a ranch in West TX.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - good thots and praying that all goes well and most certainly what is best for the kids. At least for now it seems as if he is willing for them to stay there. You are a saint.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Becca - EEEeeewwwww - I wonder if that's what the 'girl at the picnic does' for my DH. LOL! It's a running joke with us ... I can tell when he is stressed out about something ... usually a 'family' member we 'have' to be 'nice' to and it's hard to do.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    DrKatiebug Aside from the blueberry ...lol... when you take a class you are at the mercy of the instructor. Maybe other people are happy with doing odd exercises for their core. I know personal training is expensive but that's the best way to get a program designed for what you want. I've done this in the past and just signed up for 1 or 2 sessions to have the trainer design a program for me that I could do on my own. Then I'd set up a session once a month to check in. Just a thought. Also, if others don't like that current exercises, they probably will stop showing up and put the berries into their smoothies instead.

th?id=OIP.Mcb6f0429f6334ad02ce0d80fea899b8bH0&pid=15.1

Kimses in MA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,416 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Waiting for the last of my kiddos to get picked up, so I can relax and enjoy my Friday eve. Hopped on here to see what the rest of the girls are up to.

Irish Terri- Wowsa! I saw that folding technique the other day on GMA; it is my next step to organize what I once thought was organized! lol! I am the main laundress in my home, so the folding and putting away are usually handled by me. So things are relatively organized. This would seriously help with my rotation issue, though. I have a little "thing" I do when I put clothes, dishes, food, etc away. I rotate the new to the back or the bottom of the pile or shelf and the older to the front, that way everything gets used about the same and food doesn't go bad, etc. My kids think I am becoming a little OCD as I get older, and maybe I am (a little), but I have seen people who actually have OCD and what I do isn't necessarily a compulsion. It has just become a habit. Kind of like how you load your dishwasher. Yes, my hubby will load it; but it doesn't mean that should be washed the way he loaded it, so, of course, I re-load my way before starting the cycle. hahaha (Maybe I need professional help.)

I don't think that is OCD, it's just good planning. I put the newly folded clothes in at the left hand end of the drawer as it's easier to get them in at the end rather than the middle. I also fill the empty space on the right with bigger jumpers to keep the clothes pressed upright it also saves on ironing. Lol!

Got back from Rome in the early hours of Sunday. Later discovered an answer phone message that my Godmother had died last Friday. The funeral was today. She was my favourite aunt and only 16 years older than me. I will miss her so much, but I know she was ready to go. Uncle Walter died last May and she pined for him. Esther was the last of that generation in our family. I am now the Matriarch of the family. Scary!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I'm going to concur GloworminWA's advice about going on maintenance. We moved twice in a six-month period last year following my husband's lengthy unemployment, so I know from experience that sometimes life is stressful enough without piling more "shoulds" on yourself.

Miriam - One of my fondest memoriest of our house in the mountains of New Mexico was dashing out to the hot tub and soaking as the snow fell on my head. Getting out isn't so bad because you're warm, but my husband and I sure did move fast when it was time to get in!

Welcome to all the new people!

I've had a tiny setback because I got home from my Friday walk and promptly came down with a nasty cold that had me sofa-bound for a couple of days. Today I'm up and working so hopefully by tomorrow I'll feel up to walking again. I made use of the time to do some reflection and came up with a plan that I think will be good for me. First, I'm going to ask my primary care doc to prescribe an antidepressant... I've had a couple of depressive episodes in the past so I recognize how I'm feeling right now. This particular doc has not prescribed them to me before, but hopefully she'll be willing to do so given my past experience. I've always been able to take meds for a year or so, then phase off and be good to go for a few more years. Getting a floor underneath my feet should help with the energy and motivation problems. The other part of the plan is that I did a little extra work for a new client in January and once I get paid (whenever that is, she's a late payer) I'm going to dedicate part of that money to pay for some counseling. I probably don't need a whole bunch of sessions, but a lot has happened in the past five years or so and I just need a safe place to talk things out. The funny thing is that I haven't done any of that stuff yet, but I immediately started to feel better just because I had a plan.

-Yvonne in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Well. Our leader has decided that we need to suspend all weight training for two weeks and work on core. She's been reading some kind of science that says the reason she and the other lady still have their pooches is because they aren't breathing right and paying attention to their core and pelvic floor. So we are doing these exercises that concentrate on breathing. We are supposed to imagine picking up a blueberry with our nether region (sorry, TMI) while inhaling and exhaling. This week we are doing one exercise with the stability ball, glute bridge, clams, and leg lifts, concentrating on when we breathe and lifting and putting down the blueberry. We are doing 3 sets of 10 reps and that is it! We are allowed to walk, but not run or lift weights, not that I ran anyway.

Am I wrong to be unhappy? I don't see how this is going to help at all with my back fat and upper arms, but of course continued weight loss will help.

Thoughts?

:) First, yes, you're wrong to be unhappy....that's a waste of time and energy.

:) Second, these are all great exercises including the blueberry one but they aren't as great as what you were doing before.

:) Third, stuff like this is why I exercise at home and plan my own program

:) Fourth, Mary and the others are right about heavy lifting being the best choice for all around fitness and muscle tone and losing the fat that's in all the wrong places.

:) Fifth, I have no idea what you can do to change the teacher, but please don't waste any time and energy fussing....use your time and energy to lift weights at home or the gym so you continue to improve strength and muscle tone.

:) Sixth, never, never, never give up

<3 Barbie

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yvonne, I think you are in the right track! Good for you having a workable plan!
    Sylvia, my heart goes out to you!
    Betty
  • barbiecat
    Options
    4voo13b434tq.jpg

:'( Poor Brandy....today the vet said that her leg still wasn't healing right so we left Brandy there and the vet sedated her and cleaned out the wound to send the "stuff" for a biopsy, then put in five stitches and a big bandage...she has pain pills and antibiotics and can't walk much for a few days and has to wear a soft cone and a donut to make sure that she doesn't mess with the bandage.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: busy day today but doing well on food. For exercise I walked all around the store while waiting for my prescriptions to be filled, bought a tomato and an avocado. I got appointments made for vision check and mammogram. Now just have to get one made for pulmonologist.

Good thoughts to all the DHs who are having surgery.

Sylvia - You are an awesome grandma!

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Day two of the clean eating challenge went well...except for the pepsi I drank. Oh well, I used to have one daily and now it's one or two a week. I'm happy with improving.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Been very angry today. Seem to wake up that way. I know some if it is three days with very little sleep. I can say I have ate better today than I have in awhile though. Healthy and more calories than I have did in weeks. Went to the doctor today says no exercise till I put a few lbs back on. Treadmill has been my stress buster lately so that is not a good thing for me.

BARBIECAT I remember when my dog had to wear what we called the cone of shame. She wrecked three of them before she could go without one. At least it is not the hard plastic kind.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.55min, 14.8amph, 148mhr, 2.9mi = 157c
    jog- 22.21min, 8.57ap/min mi, 6.6-8.0sp, 134ahr, 157mhr, 2.5mi = 255c
    ride gym 2 dome- 8.04min, 11.1amph, 142mhr 1.4mi = 89c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.23min, 9.5amph, 154mhr, 2.7mi = 201c
    total cal 702
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Been very angry today. Seem to wake up that way. I know some if it is three days with very little sleep. I can say I have ate better today than I have in awhile though. Healthy and more calories than I have did in weeks. Went to the doctor today says no exercise till I put a few lbs back on. Treadmill has been my stress buster lately so that is not a good thing for me.

BARBIECAT I remember when my dog had to wear what we called the cone of shame. She wrecked three of them before she could go without one. At least it is not the hard plastic kind.

Anne from Wisconsin

:) Anne, the reason I write a gratitude list every morning is to turn my attitude around before the day starts...I started doing this at a time when my life was very bleak and my list included things like being healthy, having a roof over my head, having clean clothes to wear to work (not everyone has all those things).....about Brandy's cone....we splurged on the expensive soft cone and soft donut to make Brandy more active. She hasn't done any damage to the cone but she has managed to get around it to get to her leg.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Anyone else watching Westminster Dog Show? I love them all. <3 Mars the cat is not as impressed.

Katie: I echo the advise of the others who said to keep up your strength training on your own. Plenty of great, free workouts on you-tube. After almost 2 years of paying for a personal trainer, I now know enough to go it alone. I consider Jessica Smith TV my new training partner.

Becca: When you get the reunion set, please let me know. I love MFP get-togethers.

Sending love and energy to all of you taking care of family members. You are angels. o:)o:)o:)

Today DH had final visit with plastic surgeon who was amazed at how quickly and thoroughly his forehead is healing. Yay B)

The herding group just showed. I was pulling for the Samoyed, Bogie. Won't spoil it for those who want to catch the finals later. :o

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    DLS1029 wrote: »
    I too, am being "unfaithful" to myself in tracking. Time to get myself back to where I was and track everything that passes through my lips. Life has not slowed down any for me - working full time, caring for my elderly mom and MIL, and now DOS and DDIL have went to TX for the next week due to her step-dad's critical illness. Of course, we have the 4 and 5 year old grand-daughters. That's okay because I love those little gals!!! <3<3

I do wish that I had more time to plan my meals. That is the key for me to stay on track!! I remember an old WW group leader telling me long ago "Fail to plan, plan to fail." Truer words were never spoken.

I keep telling myself "I think I can, I think I can"! And I can! But I have found that 10 years older makes a lot of difference in my stamina. The good thing is I have heard that 55 is the new 45! hahahaha

Have a wonderful day!

Donna in cold, wet, rainy, snowy WV

I know about that planning! I just order online food from hello fresh, very good n healthy. Pricey but have coupons , nice to have the shopping done. Give it a look. Gayle Minneapolis