WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Replies

• pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm 52 and need to lose - well, who knows. I guess my fighting weight is 118 and I'm now closer to 138 or 140. I would be happy to get to 125. I've been trying every which way to lose the weight for a number of years and I have not had success due to feeling hungry and/or unsatisfied by "diet" foods. A few times I lost a few pounds - got down to about 130 and then "treated" myself right back up in weight.

It might sound crazy, but I sometimes think I'm afraid to be thin again. I once lost weight in my twenties and I ended up having an affair - don't want to act like a fool again!

My goals for february and beyond:
    1. Figure out how and what to eat so I don't feel hungry and deprived
    2. Weight train 2-4x week
    3. Meditate every day
    4. Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day
    5. Find things other than food that I can turn to when I get stressed
    6. Take more time for myself
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    This promise of Spring. I have daffodils :)rrxlmabl79dj.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies, I hope you all had a Happy Valentine’s Day. <3

Thank you all for the warm welcomes back. I did miss you while I was gone! Just too tired yesterday to get a post done.

Janetr, cute cartoon.

Katla, sounds great that you get a week off to heal your bum. What we do in the name of fun? I totally agree with what you said to Michele about worrying about Bryan’s therapist’s credentials.

Allie, I think it sounds like Tom cares, too. I love all-inclusive resorts. The thing I look for is the number of restaurants so you aren’t stuck eating at the same one or two the whole time.

Joyce, sorry you and Charlie didn’t sleep well. I was really hoping that when I got back there would be some miraculous good news from you. (((Hugs)))

Sylvia, my heart just goes out to you and your DH and the grandchildren. I’m sorry your son is going through what he is but I hate it even more for his kids. Such a sad situation for all of you. (((Hugs)))

Kay, I thought that was hilarious about your friend sending you the text meant for his wife. I’m with you though about why he would be texting her?

Barbie, how wonderful for your friend.

Michele, sending healing thoughts and good wishes for you and Vince. (((Hugs)))

Pip, who has been doing all that work? That must have been a huge tree/bush.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

When I got home there was a dozen red roses in a vase with a card for me. I’m sorry to say that I didn’t take many pictures on the cruise. I kept forgetting to take my camera or phone. Since you don’t have to take anything with you when you leave the stateroom other than your room key which acts as your on ship charge card, I just wouldn’t think about it. I wasn’t very good with my eating but sure enjoyed what I ate. I’ll just work extra hard to get rid of the excess. I saw some of you talking about languages. My meager Spanish came in handy at the Dominican Republic. I’m good at ordering a beer or asking where the bathroom is. LOL My cruising buddy needed a wheelchair getting on and off the ship. Getting on wasn’t too long of a wait but getting off was about a two hour wait. I think we were in the last 4 people to get off the ship but at least it was easy to locate our luggage. It put us getting home much later than normal and I was exhausted. I was still tired today but got everything put away and my clothes washed. It was good to be home. I’m not totally caught up but will have to try again tomorrow as I need to get to a meeting. I really missed you all!!!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Hello everyone. I'm sitting in the public library. It's the first peace I've had all day. There wasn't any school today because of Presidents Day. I took the kids to the studio but they were too disruptive. I couldn't get anything done. So we went to the local wilderness trail and walked about 3 miles. My hips were killing me, but it didn't slow the kids down one bit. So now we are at the library and all three are on the computers. Then we will check out books and stop at the park on the way home.

I talked to my son last night and he apologized for his behavior earlier and asked me to bring the kids back to visit today, but when we got there this morning he was just as surly as yesterday. Î know he is feeling awful, but I wish he wouldn't take it out on the kids. His wife is telling him lies about how the apartment management is complaining about the kids and threatening to kick him out. That is adding to his stress, and thus, adding to all our stress. He was whining about when he gets out of the hospital he won't have a wife or an apartment to go back to.

It turns out that having three kids is a LOT of work. I don't know when I've been this exhausted physically or mentally. Nobody agrees on anything, so they think I should cook three or four different meals tonight. Not gonna happen. I guess once we get a routine established it will be better. It would be nice if they didn't bicker all the time, but I can deal with that. I had three brothers and a sister, so I remember bickering.

It's a beautiful day, sunny and above 60 degrees. Not bad for February.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Sylvia
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Well a new week, new start. Hope you are all doing well. Weigh in this morning was not good and have mixed feelings, but not giving up. The weekend just flew by, spent Saturday with mom and family. Yesterday was DGD's 8th birthday with a party. My friend that had the surgery is not doing well and I am not sure what to do next. A part of me feels like she is giving up. So I have been feeling down. Working today until 5:30 and going to be 50 out, so snow is melting fast.

Our big boss was in first thing this morning and bought us a big bag of Dove chocolates. Then he just came in and gave me a bag of chocolates bars for each of us to have one from the big bosses. I told him he is pushing me today. So I put the bar in my bog for DH and put the rest in the back on the counter. So far not tempted but it will be a long day.

Sylvia--Love the pictures of your furbabies. So sorry to hear about all that has been happening with DS and DGC. They are so lucky to have you in their lives. Keeping you all in my prayers.

Pip--Congrates on Kirby running the 3 miles.

DJ--Glad you are home and looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Not a lot to say, I am again caught up on posts and sending hugs and prayers to everyone. After work DH has a meeting so I am thinking I will sit with my friend. I feel bad as I have not been there much this weekend, to much going on and I would like a nap. Take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Today I ran outta coffee so unfortunately I have been nursing a headache all morning! I hate to be dependent on the stuff, but I most definitely AM! My son helped me put away the groceries today, (so he could attack the coffee maker with the new coffee I had bought. He is laughing, saying, "Anything to get me to help you right?" Our kitchen is small so two people in there moving around can get tricky. Before he helps me, he and I dance around the kitchen for a wee bit! He has learned to "do the break" kind of like swing dancing. At least that is what my father and mother used to do. We do a silly version of it, and boy my head was swimming....I needed coffee!!! lol Trying to appreciate all the moments with my teenager. I know I shall have a hard time letting that kid go off to the military... My middle son e-mailed my husband, and their carrier is in Guam presently. He is still quite a newbie and has not visited many ports. He said it was "swampy hot". Not used to high humidity places :-)

Think I am up a pound since last week. Weigh-in is Wednesday so I am hoping to get it down so at least I "turtle" (not lose or gain weight).

Today at the grocery store there were many items I needed. Eating healthy does make you buy food more often. I rarely eat frozen meals, except to take frozen blueberries out, or my multi-grain bread out. Right now I am addicted to Red Grapefruit segments. They are so good I have to capitalize them!! So Del Monte sells plastic containers of them, but it costs $9. I had my bread for breakfasts, so I was going to pass up buying the expensive container. My husband said at the checkout line, "Are you going to go get your grapefruit or am I?" I said that I should wait, so he goes and gets them. He said, "if they help you eat healthy then get them". Part of putting myself first, and not feeling guilty but its not easy.

I had cereal for breakfast, before swimming so by the time we got out of the grocery store, I was ready to dive into the grocery bags. I asked him if we could go to Subway for lunch. I logged it in and boy do they have a lot of salt in their products. I dismantled the sandwich and logged everything down that I had them put in it. If you type Subway turkey portion for 6" sandwich, you get exactly what amount they use. I did that for every item, including the creamy siracha I had. Wow that is hot! I probably won't ever have that on a sandwich again. But it made me drink my water though.

To all of you dealing with family issues, I am sorry. (((((hugs))))) I would imagine that food logging and paying attention is the last thing you think of doing. You are just trying to keep it all together.

I remember when I would have to pay attention to my husband on the bad days, while keeping things normal so my teenager wouldn't freak out. He became numb to it, like I did I suppose. He was on first name basis with the EMT's when they would come get my husband on days when he would be in an ammonia-coma. But he came thru it all like we all did. Life doesn't give you more than you can handle. And on the days when you think it does, just stop and breathe. You shall find your footing and bear it. I would find my moments to break down safely, usually at night, when all was quiet. Know you don't have to be perfect, or do what society deems perfect, you just have to do what feels right. Being perfectly imperfect is my new normal :-)

Becca
    (((((hugs)))))
    still in Oregon but mentally in Thailand....

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
    damnit-it was me that did that, all me! :0)
  • pipcd34
    Lots going on here today. Last 2 days I was out in the yard digging up this tree, getting it ready for the neighbor to start building. We got another guy that came over to give us a bid to haul away the limbs and stuff. Fence is in the works, stuff is being hauled off28lh5bsfm8xb.jpeg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    Vicki ... Weigh in day for me too ... And it wasn't pretty. Sigh. Hang in there. Giving up really isn't an option.

Sylvia ... There's a reason why we have our children when we're younger! Just set your routine ... You're changing from fun grandparent to stricter parent roles. They'll adjust.

Really struggling with the healthy eating. Not sure what's eating me, but not giving up.

Beth near Buffalo where we're waiting for the next snow storm.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    MD says that it is not his prostate cancer coming back as his PSA has been at 'Zero' since his surgery about 12 years ago; but, has scheduled him for a cystoscopy to look inside his bladder to see what's going on; he thinks it might be scar tissue blocking the pee from coming out. DH really wanted to try more medication and I told the MD that I have had enough of his moaning, groaning, and then wetting his pants down to his knees. DH finally caved in and agreed. Then I will have mine done in mid-March. At least we know what the other is feeling when we go through all this. Gee, sometimes when it rains, it pours.

Lenora

Lenora this is exactly what occurred with my FIL. They found scar tissue which prevented him from being able to pee. He had the urge but just couldn't expel the urine. He ended up with a catheter. He was (passed last October) much older than your husband. Good that the doctor is looking into this.

Cheri NE oHIo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 5X5 @ 44 lbs
    bench press 5X5 @ 34 lbs
    dumbbell row 5X5 @ 44 lbs
    calf raise 1X5 @ 22 lbs 4X5 @ 24 lbs

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I walked with my neighbor today & had a great time. :bigsmile: Tomorrow is DH's surgery. I don't think he's looking forward to it, but he plans to go through with it anyway. I don't like the fact that he has a chronic infection in his back, but it isn't life threatening. I'm worrying. I guess it is part of caring about a person's well being. In this case, the person is my husband & best friend. :heart:
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Hubby home, and now with me and the MD about the procedure he'll be going through. He said he could see the MD looking at me the entire time he was talking about 'what they could do'. DH piped up and said, he'd try some medication'; I don't know what my face portrayed; but, MD said, 'no, I think we have tried enough medications, we'll do a cystoscopy to see what is going on inside. Put you to sleep, in and out, same day surgery and then you can go back to work the next day. We need to do something a little more aggressive.' I wish they'd do that for me when I have the same procedure, but, that's not going to happen.

Sylvia - if my boys had had their way, I'd be cooking separate meals each night; so, to cure that ... each had to plan and help make a special dinner; like tacos .... had to brown the meat, make sure the beans did not stick, shred the cheese, lettuce, cut up the tomatoes, set the table and help clean up. It was surprising how quickly they ate what I cooked. But, we still had special meals that they helped with. They're never too young to learn, it just takes a little more time. Both boys are very good cooks now (as adults) and they know how to wash and dry their own clothes (and put them away). Washing clothes started when our DYS became a 'clothes horse' and took 3 showers a day and would throw them in the floor or in the dirty clothes basket and had not even worn them an hour. I jacked his little @$$ up in a heart beat. Did not stop; but, I did not have to do the washing, drying, folding, and putting up of them either.

Well, getting ready to watch the Grammys'; it should be good. Good music, anyway!

Cheers!
    Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did the last segment of the Tummy Toner DVD I have, held my plank for 2 min 49 sec, then did an hour of extremeweights DVD. the plan for tomorrow is that I'm going to try doing a step DVD. It's a pretty elementary one but I want to see if I can do it or is there still going to be too much impact?

Vince seems to be feeling better, only a bit of diahrrhea. But the roads are bad here (really, they aren't all that bad, but the people consider them "bad"). Jess took her car to get the timing belt changed, they usually will drive her home but with "the bad roads" they aren't offering this service. That's a shame because I was hoping when she got home we could go get the anti-nausia prescriptions for Vince filled. Actually, it IS supposed to be much worse going home so she has suggested that she may take tomorrow off from work and just stay here. I do want this to be her decision, but I wouldn't mind one bit if she stayed, I do want her safe. The bad thing is that I'm trying to cut down on the amount of food in the house since we'll be leaving so I really don't have much to offer her. I think I have some pork roast in the freezer so I'll ask her if she'd like that.

Kim - what a hilarious story about the differences in language!

Sylvia - you are such a blessing for those children! I know they will never forget it.

KJ - good thoughts being sent to your sister

Rosie - sounds like you did a great job raising those children. I wanted my kids to stay in church until they received their confirmation but then we were transferred and the requirements to make confirmation at that church were much more stringent than where we were. It would have meant extra CCD classes for the kids. I just decided that if they needed confirmation, like my father's second wife, they would do it on their own. So far, it looks like Denise MAY need it, I'm not sure.

katla - good wishes for your hubby's surgery

Kristin - the way I usually send a friend request is to click on the avatar (pic) of the person on here, then the next screen you have to click on their name, the next screen will give you a choice and one of them is to "add friend", click on that.

Jess just left to go back.

terri - I have to ask Vince if my computer will "recover" a Skype session. It should be interesting if it does, he can see what went on.

Lenora - dh has not been able to pee for 6 months?????? How is his body getting rid of the fluid?

Vince is feeling much much better today. A bit of diahrrhea, but he thinks that might be due to the fact that he really doesn't have anything solid in his system. So for dinner tonight he had (don't laugh) a peanut butter sandwich. I told him that applesauce is easily digested, but I guess he wanted pb.

DJ - we really missed you, but we're so glad you had such a good time

Vicki - STAY AWAY FROM THAT DOVE!!!!

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Sylvia, I was thinking about you today and was wondering about his O2 level and wondering if it was affecting his thinking. i was glad to know that it was low and that was it but then you tell me today that he was cranky again today. Is there anyway you could put some security cameras in his apartment without him knowing it, or is that even legal? Maybe Child family services could give you advice.

Today was Charlie's infusion. It was scheduled for 1 but when we got there, all the chairs were occupied so we had to wait about 15 minutes. They got the IV started fairly quick but then his bowels started acting up and he had to go across the hall. They have just one bathroom, unisex so it has one stall. If any visitor or other infusion patient/family wants to use it, Charlie ahs to go down to the lounge and hope he makes it. Plus the IV machine
    s battery was low enough he had to plug it in every time he got in the bathroom. That prolongs the time to actually sit on the john. He has always just taken one diaper with him but today he realized that he needs to take at least two. All this prolonged them being able to get his infusion started until 2 PM. He was complaining about the fact that they overbooked the room. She told him that there are sometimes things that happen that delay people in the infusion room. After she left his chair I reminded him that they had to delay starting HIS infusion about 30 minutes which would have prolonged some one else except he is most always the last one in there.

Joyce, Indiana
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Thank you for the adding friends lessons. You all are terrific!

I started a five day clean eating challenge today. So far, so good. It brought me in under my calorie goal and I've felt satisfied most of the day. I tried to do a companion cardio workout today, but only managed about half. The parts that required lying down triggered my vertigo again, so until I get into the doctor I'll stick with vertical exercises.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    :)
  • pipcd34
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    I left the page while posting a really long message yesterday and the whole thing disappeared. How do I go back to another page to check something without losing the entire reply? I hope I include everyone in this response.

Beth 14 below! The longest week of my life was getting snowed in one weekend in Buffalo. You are indeed a hearty soul.

Lenora- Your tailor is right. Wait until you complete the weight loss before dong any more alternations. I sew and after the second alteration, or more than 20 pound loss, the clothes never hang right. If altered too much, the fabric is over-handled and if there is more than a 20 pound or 2 sizes loss, the lines are not right. I always find it better to go to a fabulous sale ( 50-75% off the clearance price) at an upscale consignment store or ritzy charity shop than to pay for tailoring something more than once. I would love to see you change your profile picture to one of the pictures on your page. You look so spiffy.

Anne You are right. Being alone does not help. Others have suggested courses and
    hobbies. Have you thought about regular therapeutic massages? I know that price can be a barrier so you might want to try a community college or certified massage therapy school. Sometimes chiropractors have associated massage therapists in their office. Visiting this group of gals frequently is a great help to me.

Heather I think you are the gold at the end of the rainbow. I downloaded the Duolingo app and already spent 20 minutes on it. Great suggestion. Thank you.

Allie - my thoughts are with you. You persist no matter what.

Sue I have heard about See's candies but never had them. They are legendary. This probably is not the best time for me to find them. Perhaps after I get to goal.

Katla- I hope your DH's surgery goes well tomorrow. What nice things you said about him. You both are so lucky.
    Saddle sores- ouch. Have you checked the saddle to see if it needs to be re-stuffed? Sometimes they lose their oomph. We adjust our riding to meet the saddle and then, one day, it does not work anymore. The saddle pad may need to be replaced or a riser inserted.

Becca You have excellent taste in sports teams. I was lucky enough to see the Navy wallop Army at the inaugural Army-Navy ruby game in the new West Point stadium. We were in Navy blue, of course. I still wonder that we made it out alive.

Sylvia I agree with others that at this point, you may have to talk to someone in an agency or official capacity about the children. I am not sure that secret recording is the best way suggestion. You are their stability. My heart ached when you described how they ate the egg sandwiches. I really think that you need to speak with DFCS, at least to ask for planning advice. It sounds like the kids need major support. Do they have good medical insurance? If not, are they eligible for children's Medicaid ? If so, they may also be eligible for a host of other support including school breakfasts and lunches, counseling, day care, etc. Do be careful and remember to take care of yourself. You are handling more than anyone should have to.

Pip Congratulations to Kirby. And your garden will be the talk of the town this prong. What a whale of work.

drkatiebug Heart shaped box of chocolate. I sympathize. At least you can take each piece, put it into a separate baggie and stash them hiding spots in the freezer to find, one at a time. I got a king pillow sized bag of popcorn ( my favorite junk food). I laughed so much when I got it, but now I have to consider it a display piece. One year I got popcorn poppers from both sides of the family. I can always feed it to the birds.

KJLaMore The new grandpup sounds like he has quite a personality.

Barbie What a heartwarming Valentine's Day story about your friend. So sweet.

Kim Gardening in February. I am jealous.

Rosie Wow! what a to do list. I am so impressed. Can you come to my house? You certainly brought up wonderful children. How good that they are participating in foreign exchange programs. A realistic way to learn about the world beyond the US.

Kristen I hear you. There are also many, many volunteer opportunities to go overseas that give you a complete and authentic immersion experience while providing valuable assistance to aid organizations. In general, aid organizations are looking for people with very specific skills and for people who do not have to be trained. However, everyone has some skills needed somewhere in the world. It is just a matter of being matched up with the right program.

A question for all. I am very, very short ( think Linda Hunt of NCIS Los Angeles, short. I am just one inch taller.) So I tend to lose extremely slowly. I find that when I log exercise and then eat the exercise calories, I gain weight. It is only by sticking to a very low calorie count and not eating back exercise that I lose any weight at all. Doe anyone else have this problem? What to do?