Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gift111006.gif..the ungrateful fussy dogs didn't want to walk in the rain...Brandy walked to the end of the block then refused to go any farther and wanted to go home...Sasha walked out the door, went around the house and back to the door, so I left them in the house and walked without them. I walked for an hour and got pretty wet but by 6:30 AM had almost 9,000 steps.

:)Anne, I don't like hanging out with friends, especially not at bars but I've learned to love my own company. When I was alone I reacquainted myself with knitting, then took knitting classes. Recently I've learned to download audio books from the library so I have something enjoyable to listen to while I work, knit, or walk.....it's much better than listening to some of the nonsense that my head wants to talk about. I meditate for about 10 minutes every day....just sit down, close my eyes, and focus on breathing in and out...it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

:)Alison, I admire how kind you are to so many people.

:)Lillian,enjoy your walk

:) Soon we will be off the chiropractor followed by our weekly trip to the grocery store.

<3 Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I'm happy that Vince was able to come home and was not admitted to the hospital. Yay! It is lucky that Jess has been available to help out with driving. :flowerforyou:

Sue: I followed Heather's advice and downloaded Duolingo onto my phone. It was free. I'm having fun with learning Spanish. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: You are doing what is best for your grandchildren. I admire you for your clear thinking and good-hearted generosity. :heart: I hope the dogs will stop being jealous brats because the kids are getting part of "their" attention. :ohwell:

Pip: Love the photos! You are making great progress on your backyard. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Congrats on the Valentine's card from Tom with hugs and kisses! (XOXO) :smiley:

We have a busy week ahead. I have yoga today, but will pass due to saddle sores. I can do a lot of modifying successfully in yoga, but I don't think I can protect my wrist and saddle sore backside at the same time. :noway: This will be a day off. Tomorrow DH is having a cyst removed from his back that has been bothering him off and on for twenty years or more. It is day surgery and I expect to bring him home in early afternoon.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rosie ~ What a busy life you lead! I cannot imagine all the work involved with getting 3 teens through school but it looks like you are doing a magnificent job.

Sylvia ~ Prayers for you, your grand kids, and your son. It is such a sad situation. It seems at some point you and your husband may have to take steps to bring the children into your home permanently. So glad you are there for them.

Alison ~ So kind of you to take care of Faith. You are a caring person and deserve a lot of respect for all you do.

We did not celebrate Valentine's Day as my DH was at his antique show all weekend. I did get Valentine candy for the grands but didn't get it to them. Will try to later this week. My DIL and the children are out of school all week for Winter Break. The county they are in is on a year round system. Not lovely weather for it as it is sleeting and icy damp cold. I could never live up North in the temps that some of you are reporting.

Carol
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    silly me...I posted in the January thread. I was reading back and thought "this stuff sounds familiar". At least I know my memory is ok!
    ----
    Hi -- I've been away for 3 days looking at colleges for my son, so I am way off track right now. I'm going to take today off from everything as I have a sore throat and two interviews tomorrow, so I just want to rest up. I'll catch up on the thread.

Kimses in MA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    Thank you Carol and Barbie~I have been doing this since I was little just ingrained in me I guess..I know it is something I can do to help.. and I don't expect anything in return..I do much better with the elderly than with the younger as I get older..but I try and always give everyone the benefit of the doubt..
    The troll at work is always badmouthing either someone she knows or doesnt know or even a patient that she doesnt like.. and I dont do that..because you dont know there background....I say unless you have walked a mile in a persons shoes that Zip the Lip....
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    Katla - Research has proved that learning a new language is one of the best stretches for the brain. :D
    You know you could always leave DH with his sister. I lived in Mexico City for a month with a family and absolutely loved it. Just a week would be wonderful. You could combine it with some language classes. :D
    Of course if you got as far as Spain I might be inclined to pop over to see you. :flowerforyou:
    Today I watched a French film I thought you horsey people would enjoy. It features an Arab stallion called Othello. It's called "En Equilibre". I rented it from Lovefilm/Amazon.

Heather UK

PS - I am rarely far from wifi when on holiday. There is wifi on my cruise ship in the library, though not utterly reliable. I don't use data abroad, though I could for £3 extra a day.

I'm intrigued by this idea of living with a family abroad. I'm recently divorced, travel deprived, and soon to be an empty nester. This could be very nice! How did you arrange it?

Kristan

Kristan,
    If you want to experience/try out travel abroad with a family without leaving home, check at your local colleges and see if host families are needed. Overseas students often want to experience our culture or practice English. I have been a host parent and ended up planning a wedding and standing in for a mother who could not travel here; taking other students to see voting for the first time; mourning with a student who lost a friend in a bombing in her country; shared lots of laughs and touring in area; and lots of shared meals. I have been invited to visit them when they go back home and have done so. I get emails and text messages to "my American mum" from all over the world. You may also want to contact Council for International Visitors in your area.

I have been tempted to host a student and likely will...but I need some time with the nest empty before I fill it back up again. :wink: As I said, I am quite travel-deprived as my ex always had an excuse not to go anywhere. I took the kids all over the U.S. on my own (well a lot of it anyway) but I NEED to travel abroad.
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    How do you "friend" someone on here? Feeling like the newbie I am...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Pip – some serious chopping down going on there!!!

Rosie – that’s a list! But it is doable as you said, and do ask for help! The kids can all help carry their load, and maybe a once a month house cleaner or other outside help to free up time for the things you can’t or don’t want to delegate.

Anne – could you suggest another hang out for once in a while? Have them over for dinner? A movie?

Kristin – dust off that passport and dream! There is somewhere calling your name!

Had a dozy of a time getting to sleep last night my arm is giving me fits! But once asleep I did not move at all… It’s very sore this morning, but most things are sorer the 2nd day (today), so I’ll power though and hope tomorrow is better – as I have life to live, no time for this sore arm crud….

Kim from N. California
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Kristin - you do it from your home page - you need to know their log in then go to friends and you'll be able to do find a member and then ask if they want to be friends.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Michele
    – I don’t see any way at this time that telling your son his therapist is a quack would be taken as you intend. He is still blaming, and this would likely get turned around on you, too. Does your computer offer to record a skype session? It’s amazing how people will “behave” when they are being recorded. Hugs and prayers during this terrible transition. I’ve been through similar with my DD, and it is more than painful. Stay strong and true ! ! ! // Wow, that was a spectacular deal on your earrings from Kohls. I tip my hat ! ! !

Jumping to the most recent page now . . .

LaMore – Hugs and Prayers for your sister and all her loved ones ! ! !

Rosie
    – Hugs and coordination. I only have one kid with such a schedule, and I often feel overwhelmed. DS is invited to Germany this summer, too, but it interferes with both baseball and bowling, so he will not be going. I think his senior year will be an option also (they take kids every other year)

Sylvia – Continued and stronger hugs and prayers ! ! !

DH & I rarely exchange gifts for most occasions, but he does usually get me a gift certificate for a massage for Valentine’s Day. He must have forgot this year. It’s okay, because he spent the day alone in bed with the stomach bug. Luckily I was able to find a bowling partner for DS, and the whole day was just about as much fun as anyone should be allowed. Only 1 mom sat in the corner, and I tried involving her a few times, but she gave 1 syllable answers, so that must have been the way she wanted it to be. The kids had as much fun as the bowling and watching adults. The drive home was treacherous, because the snow and ground were so cold it seemed like a layer of baby powder, just skidding and sliding everywhere. DS and I stopped for a few groceries, then hunkered-down for the rest of the day. He will shovel later, when it warms up a little and stops snowing (no school today ?!?)

Time to get back to work. I will try to read more later today.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,729 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -
    kjlamore - unfortunately, i don't know crap about trees, flowers and stuff. it did give out pretty purple flowers and was green and leafy. that was the only reason we kept it and for the added privacy that it gave us.

today it had a crap load of ivy mixed in with it. that is some spreading stuff!! i'm off today, kirby is off for the week. yesterday i killed my phone on the first day of being out there, so i borrowed his phone and used his hrm yesterday so i could count the calories. yesterday i had to go to apple and get a replacement phone and it is still loading up my wahoo app and all my info.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stat for the day - I lowballed it
    spin-41min 85r 75w 17.1mi 9g = 250c estimate, hrm not connected
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    How do you "friend" someone on here? Feeling like the newbie I am...

:):) If you see someone on this thread or any other thread that you post on, you can right click on their name under their picture and open the link and then click again on their name when you see a little picture of them....that will take you to their home page and you can click on "add friend"....it's always a good idea to send a message along with the friend request (like what thread you saw them on or something). and they'll get a message that you want to friend them and decide to accept or not.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

The man to put new guttering all round the house is coming on Wednesday for two days. He said he should be finishing as the DGC arrive. ;) It's an expensive business, but all the leaks are beginning to affect the fabric of the house, so we can't ignore it any longer. :'( The back corner is like a waterfall when it rains hard.

I rang the hairdresser to try to get my hair cut on Wednesday, but she is booked up, so it's next Tuesday.

I've been reading the news in Spanish on bbcmundo. It's only a passive learning, but it's getting me back in the swing. After my cruise I will be more determined. You can also easily purchase foreign language magazines (fitness ones included!) on Google Play store. I have the FranceBleu app on my tablet which has spoken and written news.
    I must say, I'm loving Duolingo! I only committed to 5 mins a day, but I'm doing about 20!

Having a Spanish dish for dinner that I used to have around 1990 when we used to go to the north of Spain as a family. We used to go to this tiny village, have a sherry and some olives in a bar while waiting for it to be late enough to eat. (About 9.30) One time there was a little local festival and a terrible band to dance to. :laugh:
    At 9.30 there was a stampede to the restaurant where, as a starter, we always had scrambled eggs and prawns with garlic. Lots of garlic! You could smell each plate as it was transported, still sizzling, across the restaurant.
    That's what we're having tonight. :bigsmile: With a big pile of broccoli.

Love to all, Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout

Squat-1X5X 95/105/115, 5X5X 125
    Sumo squats-5X5X 110
    OHP-1 X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 50
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85
    DL-1X5X 150

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Last night called the ER # of DH's Urologist; telling him that he did not want to go to the ER, did not feel like sitting for hours. In a lot of pain, told him to put heat on it and/or get into a hot shower and maybe that would make him pee; but, anyway to come to the office first thing in AM and see his own Urologist. So we were there at 8:30am; saw him in just a few minutes (maybe 30). This not being able to pee has been going on now for about 6 months. MD says that it is not his prostate cancer coming back as his PSA has been at 'Zero' since his surgery about 12 years ago; but, has scheduled him for a cystoscopy to look inside his bladder to see what's going on; he thinks it might be scar tissue blocking the pee from coming out. DH really wanted to try more medication and I told the MD that I have had enough of his moaning, groaning, and then wetting his pants down to his knees. DH finally caved in and agreed. Then I will have mine done in mid-March. At least we know what the other is feeling when we go through all this. Gee, sometimes when it rains, it pours.

Cracker is asleep in her bed, so maybe I can get a few things accomplished. Put 3 book on hold at the library (2 of them are new and have not come out; but, I will be first on the list to get them.

Lenora