WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    ckitty- Welcome! Yes please join the fun! By posting you have started. Please sign you post with what you want to be called (if it is something different than your mfp login). Remember to bookmark this page, so you can find it easily each day. Tell us about your self and your journey to health/fitness, your family, your hobbies...great support coming your way!

Penny- Loving your short story! You make an excellent "ghost writer" for Heather's linguistic adventures! A kind of Fifty Shades of Darker Gray.

Pip- I have a hard time dancing to anything country, I don't really like any of it. But the words to this are nice and I absolutely love the video. I can't wait to see the pics of your finished yard.

Home from a visit with sister. Her first week of chemo is done and went well. We celebrated today with a week 1 cupcake for each of us! Her choice "Death by Chocolate"! She has a weird sense of humor! :p
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Heavens! KJ, Vicki and Joyce, those were Heather's words quoted straight off. :flowerforyou: No contribution of mine, so no credit to me, please. Editors must be very careful about plagiarism!

Still, Joyce, thanks for calling me scary. I think. ;) I've always wanted to be able to be scary, but I'm about as scary as a kitten. Tell you what, though, I can read Heather's story in Norwegian. Now that would be scary. smiley-scared001.gif

I've been up late for a three-way Skype session with my parents, both my sisters, my younger sister's husband and daughter (all in New Hampshire) and my husband (currently in Oslo). Great to see them all! My mother was looking quite chipper for all her 91 years and broken bones! :heart: :heart: :heart:

But now it's way past my bedtime. Nighty-nite!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    KJ ... I talk to my Thanksgiving turkey and even do a little dance with it before I stuff it!

Heather ... I laughed at your sentence sequences as well!

Hello ... To the new ladies! I am in the process of losing weight. Had been down around 78 pounds ... Put about 25 back on ... So now have quite a bit to go.

Went to a professional hockey game today as the guest of the owner (husband had done some work for him). Suite seating is a whole different experience ... Filet mignon and lobster Mac and cheese were part of the buffet! Could get used to that kind of spoiling! Sadly, our team lost .... I have a hard time at these types of events with my hearing loss ... Husband said I did fine .... Didn't embarrass myself.

Eating has been atrocious ... Paid for that dearly last night after eating ice cream ... Have really had to be careful today as stomach still off. Hopefully I remember just how sick I got in the days to come and will stay away from such things!

Beth
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Tomorrow night is my bookclub and for Christmas the gals got me a cookbook from one of the authors that we had read, and I am treating the bookclub to dinner here…. Well we almost never have more than 4-5 at a meeting, - they are getting food so I have 8 rsvp’d!!!!! ugh! It is not the cooking, it is the seating, my house is just 1013sq feet, with an eating area just big enough for 3, so I have to make the garage into a dining room! It is a bit of work. The menu is broccoli rabi bruschetta for a starter, pork and tomatillo stew with brown rice, a eggplant salad and a citrus salad, then roasted strawberries with balsamic vinegar over vanilla ice cream. The stew is filled with veggies, and really good and quite reasonable with calories – the only real got ya calorie wise is the ice cream…

So I have the stew done and in the fridge it will cook for 2 hours before they get here, I have the eggplant salad made (it marinates for hours) the others I’ll do tomorrow, the house is clean – so the only thing to do is work out seating…

I am almost caught up on embroidery, which is nice, will start in on a few projects for me!!! This week has gardening clients !

Well off to have some dinner… I have left over chili (is it ever “left over” it just gets better the 2nd day) - it is a pumpkin chili, you don’t even taste the pumpkin puree but it makes it hardy, with not to many calories.

Smiles Kim from N. Cal
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    w8jef2hcilml.jpg
    a pic of my nephew (this fall) and my Mom - I am ordering her a fabric bag with this picture on it for her birthday so had it up and thought I'd share.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    oceanmelody~ Wowsa.....that is crazy. TMI...I don't know what that even means hahaha! I used to put my hand out when meeting people saying, "Hello, I am a nudist, nice to meet you". I think I did that to see what kind of personality they were. Either they would laugh, and say that's gutsy, or they wouldn't speak to me again. I don't do that anymore.... lol. Oregonian and nudist don't really go hand in hand...
    Becca
    being weird in Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Becca - I loved the first Miss Peregrine's book! I recommended it to my daughter and it is now making its way around her school. I have not read the others - are they as good as the first one? I was excited to see that a movie is in the works and hope it is also good.

Kristan

The second one is more like a epic journey that they take. To try to heal Miss Peregrine back into herself, not as a bird. The other characters are more multi-layered..as time goes on. I feel like I really know them! Also the lead character, he comes to terms with his "talent".
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Options
    Kim from N. California~ It's normal for us, but others looking at us think it extraordinary! It's like WHAT? Do I have snot outta my nose, a zit, what! Oh this.....its nothing... :-)
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    aw runs and gives Sylvia a hug((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
    It's you that have saved US girlfriend.......
    Becca
    Blessed to have you in
    Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    ckitty45 wrote: »
    hello ladies I am a newbie and I'm trying a new way to eat and take more care of me. I would like to join you'll group if that's ok

welcome.gif you joined just by posting...I hope you will keep coming back...we share ideas about eating and exercise and how to get through life's challenges. I tend to eat the same food every day and walk my dogs a lot for exercise....I go to line dance classes and ride my exercise bike while watching TV...my family is my wonderful husband, two standard poodles, and a cat. I hope you'll tell us more about yourself.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

146200.png

• Annr
    Options
    Hi ckitty45~ You said the most important thing. That you need to take care of you. Sometimes we are the last thing we think about. We care for everyone else but ourselves, and our weight shows it.

Me, I need to lose about 60 lbs. I have 3 sons, 1 big son (husband) and we are retired presently. Two of my sons are active Navy, husband retired Chief Petty officer OS, and my youngest son is 17. I love swimming, really anything water related... (sleeping near water, reading in water, sipping a fruity drink in water, sunning in water)... you know....water activities!! I used to be a nudist, but moving from California to Oregon has really nipped THAT in the bud.. hahaha! I love to sing opera, garden in the community garden, and visit antique shops on the coast here.
    Feel free to vent here, everyone here are amazing listeners!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Heather, do you get to choose the phrases to learn? I ask because some of them are a bit random if not downright strange. Lol Do you know how to ask where the bathroom is? That is an important one, you know.

Pip, the yard will be great when ya’ll are finished.

Katla, that is great that you are noticing improvement since getting off Nexium.

Margaret, glad you enjoyed the Dalai Lama. Feel free to share more of what he said as you remember it.

Ckitty, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself and sign each post with the name you want to be called. A location is nice too, general or specific.

Joyce, glad you made it to church and I know the singing brought joy to your heart. <3

Vicki,NE, I know it is hard to visit your friend and feel guilty about leaving. Just remember how much it means to her. Hope you have a fun date night and the movie.

Kim, what a great picture of your mom and nephew. That will be a wonderful gift.

A smile for you:
    PRAISE THE LORD
    A married Irishman went into the confessional and said to his priest, 'I almost had an affair with another woman.'
    The priest said, 'What do you mean, almost?'
    The Irishman said, 'Well, we got undressed and rubbed together, but then I stopped.'
    The priest said, 'Rubbing together is the same as putting it in. You're not to see that woman again. For your penance, say five Hail Mary's and put $50 in the poor box.'
    The Irishman left the confessional, said his prayers, and then walked over to the poor box.
    He paused for a moment and then started to leave.
    The priest, who was watching, quickly ran over to him saying, 'I saw that. You didn't put any money in the poor box!'
    The Irishman replied, 'Yeah, but I rubbed the $50 on the box, and according to you, that's the same as putting it in!'smiley-laughing008.gif

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It was a beautiful day today with the temp about 70. We had the sliding glass door opened most of the afternoon letting in fresh air. It will get a little warmer tomorrow but start raining and keep that up for the next three days. boo hiss We have had more than our share of rain this winter. Still have rivers at the flood stage. At least our only problem is a soggy yard.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • secretchef
    secretchef Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the board so I thought I would say hello. My goals for this month are to just stay true to myself and keep on with my exercise plan, its 6 days at the gym and start to eat better. Right now the only thing I'm doing at the gym is working my way back up on the elliptical (done this once before but had surgery last year and have to start all over), then work my way back to my strength training. I can do this and so can you.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Vicki – So sorry about your friend being in the rehab center. Hopefully, it isn’t anything serious. I know the one time that I had to be admitted into a hospital over 100 miles away from where I live; visiting hours were especially hard on me; because all the others had visitors and I did not have any. But, I did talk to DH every night (that helped); but, I wanted someone there with me. Hardest thing for my BF is when she had to leave me and come back to Albany. I finally called a HS classmate; she brought me something and then another HS classmate brought me lipstick. It’s funny how lipstick will make you feel so much better, so quickly.
    Is the movie “Risen” one that Roma Dowdy and her husband made? They’re pretty good and well thought through and Biblically correct. Let me know how it is. We rarely go out to the movies, so expensive and the snacks are ‘out of sight’. We usually wait for the movies to come out on DVD. We usually go out to eat on our date nights. I’ll order something that I can split in half and bring it home for the next day. My DH is beginning to learn to do the same. I cut it ‘in half’ and move it to the side of my plate; it is amazing how much ‘extra’ food that restaurants serve, only to go into the trash. It’s sad to know that there are people who rummage through the trash just to eat a meal.

Our oldest DGD has had her hours cut, too … and she depended on that $$$ to help pay for her rent; so, that she and her boyfriend could use their extra $$$ to eat healthy. She is trying to lose that extra weight from her first year in college. Believe it, or not; but, my DDnL#1 has gone on a diet. It’s a ‘fad’ diet, so to speak; and, this is the last time that my DOS is going to pay somebody to help her lose weight. Lots of vitamins and practically nothing to eat. She’s lost 12lbs so far and is already fussing about only losing a lb. or two a week; after losing about 7-8lbs the first week. She is walking, not sure who her walking partner is; but, I am sure she must have one. I hope she does not give up; she’s got so much to lose. It’s going to take her over a year to lose all the weight she needs to lose; but, she did not put it on overnight … this is at least 10 – 15 years of bad choices of food, etc., and lack of portion control. DOS does NOT want us to say ‘anything’ to her about the ‘diet’. I have absolutely no idea what it is costing them. But, they really do not have the extra $$$ for her to pay someone in order to lose it. She needs a lot of encouragement (from her family). The first thing that came out of my DOS’s mouth to DOGD was, ‘have you lost any weight’? She’s still at that point of losing water weight and just now getting into making muscle instead of fat; so her weight hasn’t changed much; but, she can tell by her clothes fitting differently.

Pip – That’s a good thing y’all are doing to ‘donate’ it back to the folks you brought it from.

Kim – Meal sounds wonderful! I have a lot of cookbooks that have been given to me over the years; my favorite is one that I got from my MnL’s stuff – it is one that my Mother also had. It must have been one that people gave to ‘new brides’. My parents and my DiL’s were about the same age; and married about the same time. Nice picture of your Mom and nephew.

Beth – Our family got to seat in box seats in Miami once at a baseball game. They opened the windows; and my DYS was using a pair of binoculars and there was a ‘pop foul’ and it came into the box; my son saw the ball getting bigger and bigger and then pulled them away from his eyes about the time the ball landed in his lap. It was pretty funny to watch him … he kept leaning back in the seat. None of us knew what was happening until the ball was in his lap. My former BnL worked for the owners, too. It was one big party!

Hi to all the ‘newbies’. I think that I miss things because I don’t go back and read posts that I’ve missed because I start on the current day. Sometimes I only have to read 5 or 6; other days it is more like 80+. Usually, those are the days that I don’t have the time to read them all. Oh well; I guess I will be able to read enough to get the ‘general’ idea.

I’ve got to finish folding my clothes so I can get most of them in the dresser drawers. Hey, I got the Marie Kondo book “The life-changing magic of tidying”; but, it doesn’t show how she actually folds them. Is there a ‘illustrative’ book that goes with it? If so, could someone following this method tell me, so I can try to find a copy? I’m going to BAM this week and look there. Anybody else have any other ideas, or names of books they’ve used. I’ve been folding my tops like most stores do theirs on ‘display’; but, I know this isn’t the most useful way to do so. I’ll also be going through my clothes and donating those that no longer fit me; some I will have altered (like my dress slacks).

Hope all y’all had a nice weekend. We were going to go out for a ‘date’; but, DH’s problems came back with a vengeance. He goes for his ‘bloodwork’ tomorrow at 8:00am; then they’ll do the procedure one day next week.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    secretchef wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the board so I thought I would say hello. My goals for this month are to just stay true to myself and keep on with my exercise plan, its 6 days at the gym and start to eat better. Right now the only thing I'm doing at the gym is working my way back up on the elliptical (done this once before but had surgery last year and have to start all over), then work my way back to my strength training. I can do this and so can you.

welcome.gif I hope you will keep coming back....it helps me to read this thread every day along with logging food and exercise....I am always on the lookout for ways to be active.

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • mbrown862015
    mbrown862015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    B)