WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• hhof
    hhof Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Been back on MFP since October of last year, I think I just passed my 110th (or more) day of logging my meals. I decided to make some changes in my life last May when I quit drinking, then when I came home from vacation in September I decided it was time to refocus on me. So I hit MFP up again, got a couple of friends and am pretty faithful to myself and my health. Most recently, okay yesterday, I celebrated going to the fourth notch in my belt for the first time ever, hit the stairs (up and down) without any pain in my knees, and have lost about 28 pounds so far. As I am approaching my 51st birthday this week, I look forward to meeting more people on MFP and achieving more goals with them. Please ad me as your friend we can support and encourage each other.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Pip, I totally agree about the slow downsizing. I have heard too many horror stories from relatives and been to too many estate sales to think it is a good idea to keep too much of our accumulations for the next phase of life or for someone else to spend precious hours going through. Keep inspiring me!
    I am wondering if It is okay to just observe exercise classes before plowing into the routines? Have not done any group exercise since the old aerobic dance craze and I think I would like to watch once or twice to see what I am getting into. I would double check with the instructor.
    Becca, did you know Cecilia did an album of songs for castrati a few years ago? It was very interesting!
    Is there a good way to share My Recipes with someone else besides copying them into Word and emailing?
    Betty

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Bull ... tried to copy pictures of Cracker from my pixs on laptop onto this page. Not succeeding. Oh well. Maybe it'd be easier to do it from cell phone. Does anybody know how to do it from either? Freshly washed looking at me one minute; then suddenly 'crashed' in the same spot. Been playing too hard outside with DH. Maybe I will figure it out somehow. Now my avatar is half-way green. Go figure. I'm not feeling green.

Lenora
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    RonFrancis8, please tell me that profile pic is your dog! He looks so sweet! Tell us about yourself. What do you want us to call you? Where do you live? Stuff like that.

Mary, since Shep's ear is so badly mangled, I'd be happy to take him off your hands. :D

Hubby noticed today that Bruno no longer has pink spots on his nose. He had big pink patches on his nose when he was little, which made people accuse him of being a pit bull, and now his nose is all black. I started looking back through pictures, and sure enough, his pink spots disappeared more than TWO YEARS ago, and we just noticed! We are not very observant.

The kids are with their mom this weekend. Hubby and I drove them and their dad to the hand-off spot yesterday. We spent an hour in the car together, and he was acting rational. He seemed to be feeling a little better, which probably helped, plus we were walking on eggshells not to set him off. We didn't talk about any sensitive subjects.

Today we went to the Y to work out, then came out to the lake. We actually went out in the canoe! In February! It was 76 degrees! Unbelievable! Then I walked a little, then we walked the dogs across the dam. (There were huge clouds of mosquitos already.) When we got back my Fitbit alerted me that I only needed 900 more steps, so off I went again. I love my Fitbit, and I've been neglecting it lately. I did well on my food too today. A good breakfast, an apple for lunch, then chicken and sweet potatoes for dinner. I'll have a pudding cup later.

Earlier this morning I went to Penneys and bought a new workout outfit. I love the jacket, but the pants are going back. The waist comes up to the band of my bra. And I'm not that short waisted. Plus, I like the pants to be a little more snug. It makes me feel skinnier, and when I feel skinnier, I act skinnier, and I eat skinnier. Yes, I think tight pants are the key. They make me feel taller somehow. I think they squish all that fat into an upward direction, resulting in feeling taller. ;)

Now, I'm going to sit in my recliner looking out at the lake, and do some online shopping. I have a 30% Kohls coupon burning a hole in my pocket.

Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Aw Grits you were quite patient with that kid! My method of teaching my sons was me swimming and them on my back. I would yell, "Close all the hatches we are going down". They would proceed to hold there noses, and put their fingers in their ears, or over their mouths...well pretending they were submarines. I would dive down and when they ran outta air they would let go and float to the top. Pretty soon they where doing it themselves, (diving), but mostly when you are 3 yrs old you don't have much body mass so it was me pushing them down. Something unsettling about having your kid ask you to push them under, but hey, their Hotwheels cars were at the bottom of the 8 ft pool, so they needed to get them! So many distractions, they didn't really know I was teaching them anything! HA!
    Good on ya with the lifeguards! Nothing like flirting with the cream of the crop!
    Oh the warm pool is indoors next to the lap pool. It's just set at a higher temp. so the mom's with their babies can have happy babies not screaming babies! It's a City Recreational pool so its open most of the time. The nice thing is that we have a local resident rate, so its a bit cheaper. We have to pay $161. every quarter, so we try to go as much as possible to get our money's worth!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
    Pip, I totally agree about the slow downsizing. I have heard too many horror stories from relatives and been to too many estate sales to think it is a good idea to keep too much of our accumulations for the next phase of life or for someone else to spend precious hours going through. Keep inspiring me!
    I am wondering if It is okay to just observe exercise classes before plowing into the routines? Have not done any group exercise since the old aerobic dance craze and I think I would like to watch once or twice to see what I am getting into. I would double check with the instructor.
    Becca, did you know Cecilia did an album of songs for castrati a few years ago? It was very interesting!
    Is there a good way to share My Recipes with someone else besides copying them into Word and emailing?
    Betty

thanks for agreeing with the slow downsizing.

as far as the exercise classes, i was a former aerobics instructor. i say dive right in. i would modify a lot of the moves they are doing so you don't kill yourself right off the bat. i would also do the same class for 3 -5 times to give her a chance to see if you like her style. if you don't well at least you gave her a fair shot.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    welcome.gif to everyone who is new....just jump into the conversation and keep coming back.

:) Heather, you and your granddaughter look beautiful in your picture

:)Mary, I finally looked up goblet squats and kettle bell swings on the internet....I could try the goblet squats but I don't have a kettle bell so I won't be trying those.

:)Pip, I am so happy following Kirby's progress...what a great feeling it must be for him

:)Betty, I think most instructors would be receptive to having someone observe before taking a class...great idea.

:) Today is a beautiful, chilly, sunny day.....besides walking with the dogs, I walked for an hour with a friend, and pulled weeds in the front yard for about 20 minutes...also rode the exercise bike while watching Jeopardy and Blue Bloods. I've started on a new knitting project now that Jake's hat is finished.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif

February Resolutions (with mid month comments)
    *weight training twice a week or more (three times a week, so far)
    *attend the tai chi class in my neighborhood to see if I like it (haven't gotten to the class, but started to read a book)
    *get income tax papers ready for the accountant (finished and mailed)
    * create a system for organizing line dance CD's (just barely started)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Betty~I looked up the word castrati. "A castrato (Italian, plural: castrati) is a type of classical male singing voice equivalent to that of a soprano, mezzo-soprano, or contralto. The voice is produced by castration of the singer before puberty, or it occurs in one who, due to an endocrinological condition, never reaches sexual maturity."
    Ok now I am really confused... lol
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- Lol!

Barbie - when I started Kettlebell swings I used a 10 lb weight plate and did the single arm swing. The goblet squats are good for stretching and perfecting squat from.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    We downsized; about a 1000 sq. ft.; but most is still in the house. Some things I have not found; but, we think we have maybe 5 boxes that did not get unpacked yet. Hoping my Chinese Warrior and a ring is in one of them. DYS does not want the house and the land around it (One Tract) sold; and after both of us die; he gets this tract; the DOS gets the rest of the tract around them. After that, they can keep it or sell it (giving the other the first right of refusal). I've listed the things that I'd like them to try to keep in the family; certain pieces that I inherited and jewelry. List includes who gets each piece; then they can either have an estate sale or donate the rest of it. We gave each of them the list; and, neither of them had any complaints about it and thought it was fair and were happy that we did this. That way they don't have to argue about it. We laughed a couple of times that it seemed like DOS would come over and 'case the joint'. DYS and DDnL#2 will be building their own house in a couple of years and some of the furniture will go to them. Some will still stay in the house for when they come over to visit. I guess he will pay the utilities so that everything is safe from extreme temperatures. Of course, he can always sell it. Only thing that would have to be done is for DOS to cut a driveway into his side. At the moment; they use ours down to where it splits to go to our houses. Well, after I change some of my food from today; I'll be watching this crazy movie that DH rented. Or I will read a book, need to finish the one I have almost finished.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I caught a bug working up in Westchester County, NY. Will have to fly home tomorrow with a sore throat and stuffy head. Possibly have a mild fever. Back to bed for me.

Hugs and prayers to all dealing with difficult challenges.

-Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes, Becca, they really used to do that to young boy singers so they would have more female-sounding voices for their whole lives lives--even as late as the 19th century! That was back when the ladies were not supposed to sing in the church choirs.
    Lots of poor families saw it as a way out for their sons, but only a few made it to the top and the rest were maimed for life. Lots of other physical changes went along with the operation.
    If you can find Ms. Bartoli's album there is a lot of information in the booklet. She seems to approach it in a sincere and academic fashion. Not all female voices can sound like the castrati-- apparently it was a sound all its own...
    This is probably TMI for most of you!!! You all can skip this discussion !
    Betty

Also you can find her on you tube
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Of all days to get sick! 8 yr old birthday party and I woke up with stomach cramps and vomiting -thank goodness for my DDs they took over for me and I just watched. Also thank goodness for the community center in the apartments - no mess or kids running around in my apt. Kids had fun that's what counts. Party over so I am going to bed and sleep whatever it is off!

Gloria sick.gif
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Well, while I was on the cruise I didn’t log in to MFP. Before I left, I logged breakfast and snacks for every day that I would be gone but it started my time over when I returned and started logging in again. That happens every time I go on a cruise so I guess I’ll just have to get over it. The internet on a cruise is too expensive and too slow to try to log in each day.

Sharon, welcome. Many of us here have tried every diet there is, only to gain the weight back. Here, many of us take this as a new lifestyle that we will follow for life. Eating healthy and logging food works to get it off and keep it off. You will find this a very supportive and informative place. Come often and just don’t give up.

Linda, so glad your dad’s surgery went well. I wish you the best of luck with your uFit program. I would keep logging and counting calories while following the dieticians recommendations, just like you are doing. It never hurts to combine a couple of methods. Maybe you will learn something to share with us.

Joyce, it’s nice that you have options for doing the repairs you need. I have a couple of friends that have almost zero put aside for retirement and that would scare me to death. As it is, ours has shrunk so much that we never know if it will last as long as we will. I do hope we will give it a run for its money { tee hee hee} as I’m nowhere near ready to leave this earth. Now if you saved up all the dividends from Prud for a whole year, you might be able to get something more than a Big Mac. Hey, but it all adds up, right?

Katla, I just think it’s great that you have a PT exercise that produces something useful! When I broke my wrist a few years ago I don’t think I’d have ever regained use of that hand if I had not gone to PT. I don’t knit or crochet so glad that wasn’t suggested for me. How cool of your riding teacher to invite you over for the vet visit. That was a good one about “looking a gift horse in the mouth”. smiley-laughing021.gif

Gloria, when a husband says something about cleaning baseboards, don’t ya just want to tell them that you thought they knew where the wash bucket and soap was? Grrrrrrr

Lisa, glad you are getting so much writing done but just know we do miss you chatting with us more often.

Betty, so glad you “lost all that weight” and got in a better mood. smiley-laughing025.gif

Pip, just to let you know, I gave her a good haircut. Lol

Barbie, that is a great “thank you “ gift.

Becca, good for you on belting out a song or two. I don’t have a great voice and therefore would never do something like that. I’m guessing you did sing Happy Birthday?

KJ, I’d love to be a fly on the wall watching you cook and communicating with your gadgets and food. Glad you can have fun while you work.

Lillian, glad you are finally getting well. Get out and enjoy life!

Kimses, congrats on the loss!!! Now try to lose that cold! (((Hugs)))

Heather, what a wonderful picture of you and DGD. DGS is only half in the picture but it’s a cute half.

Vicki,NE, sending best wishes for your friend to heal.

Carol,NC, I’ve been thinking about you so much today. Thanks for the post so I didn’t have to get in my car and drive all the way up there to check on you. ((((Hugs))))

IrishTerri, thanks for the drive by just to let us know you are still with us. Hope all is well in your part of the world. (((Hugs)))

Hhof, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. The trick is to consistently log what goes in your mouth and come here daily. Just never give up. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Betty, if the instructor is okay I guess its fine to watch an exercise class before you join in, but if you join in you get a better idea if you like it or not. I go to line dancing each week and do it until I am exhausted and then leave. I can usually last for 1 ½ hours but no longer.

Rori, sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery. I hate flying when I’m not feeling well.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

We went to vote late this morning then to lunch. After that we went to two furniture stores looking at TV consoles. Ours is a little small plus the top has bowed and doesn’t look too good. Tomorrow I need to give myself a haircut. I hope we don’t have to stay up too late waiting for the election results.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. I'm exhausted. I drove an hour to teach a 6 hour class then an hour back home, all on 3 hours of sleep. We only got through 2 of the 3 sessions I had prepared. So I'm one ahead for next Saturday.

While we're complaining about DH's comments on our cleaning, mine always asks questions. Drives me crazy. Ex: what is this on the floor out here? Didn't you just sweep it? Just a few minutes ago I went out into the garage to get some Diet Dr P to restock the fridge and forgot to turn the light off when I came in. He walked into the kitchen and I hear, "why is the garage light on?" Does it matter? He knows I did it. I'm no longer out there. If the situation was reversed, I'd just flip the switch and go on about my business. I love that man, but he does drive me batty. It is some consolation to know that my forgetting to turn off lights and inability to see every crumb on the floor drives him batty, too.

• TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Becca - I loved the first Miss Peregrine's book! I recommended it to my daughter and it is now making its way around her school. I have not read the others - are they as good as the first one? I was excited to see that a movie is in the works and hope it is also good.

Kristan
  • RonFrances8
    RonFrances8 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Proud momma of three.... Hubby and I are empty nesters. One out, two away at college. Things are changing, still getting use to this transition in our lives. My mom stays with us half the year she's in her nineties. Yes, my profile picture is of "Brutus the dog" he's my walking buddy. Frances is my first name. This thread seems to be more of a group of friends just talking about their daily lives. Are most of you maintaining or trying to lose? Thanks, Fran from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,730 Member
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,993 Member
    Options
    Proud momma of three.... Hubby and I are empty nesters. One out, two away at college. Things are changing, still getting use to this transition in our lives. My mom stays with us half the year she's in her nineties. Yes, my profile picture is of "Brutus the dog" he's my walking buddy. Frances is my first name. This thread seems to be more of a group of friends just talking about their daily lives. Are most of you maintaining or trying to lose? Thanks, Fran from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

:) We are an interesting mixture of those who are losing weight and those who are maintaining (when I started on this thread I had over 50 pounds to lose---now I am maintaining the loss)....if you keep reading, you'll read a lot about food plans, exercise, and nutrition as well as sharing about frustrating life experiences that contribute to stress, weight gain, and veering off healthy eating plans. Some of live alone, some with husbands, and some with complicated family groups....many of us have dogs. My standard poodles are a big part of my exercise.....I get up about 4 AM every day to walk the dogs and dog walking generally results in over 10,000 steps a day.

:) Barbie from beautiful NW Washington