WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Mary, my gosh you are impressive with your exercise!!! Are you doing regular push-ups on the floor??? I’m very sure I couldn’t do one. I am doing well to do them from my dresser. Way to go girl!!!

Kim, very impressive set up. I’m sure the meal was wonderful!

Heather, that is really service on your car!!! We don’t get that in the US.

Terri, he is quite the bowler! At least you live the right place for him. Hope your hands get better soon!!! (((Hugs)))

confusion-smiley-emoticon.gif Gosh, we have Mary doing push-ups over here and Terri doing push-ups over there and wonder if others are doing them somewhere? Go, gurls, Go!!

Katie, get on with your bad self! I can just see you lifting weights in your cool outfits. weight-lifting-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Miriam, smiley-laughing025.gif on looking like a school bus!!!!

Kimses, so glad you are finally on the mend. We are happy that you are happy about DH’s sleep study.

Betty, arms.gif you get an extra big hug. What a nice thing to say, although I don’t feel like my responses are any different than everyone else’s. I just love all you ladies so much and want to encourage all of us to be the best that we can be.

Katla, I took Heather’s hug because even though many that know us think I have the perfect husband, they are all difficult in their own ways. I can’t imagine living with some of the problems that some of the ladies do and count my blessings every day.

Karen, you are so right that we need to make a point to be good to ourselves. I know that is different to each of us but it’s worth giving thought to.

Gayle, so sorry about your niece. Sending prayers.

Beth, good for you for getting back on track. We all know what to do but sometimes we just don’t want to put forth the effort. Just remember why we do this. It is worth it in the end. We are all with you!!!

Cathy, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Glad you started today and when you wake up tomorrow, please start again. It’s not always fun but I have had so many health benefits from losing weight and I’m not finished yet. Just keep logging, never give up and come here often.

Pip, yea on the finished fence. Looking forward to the pics.

Barbie, you have become a weight lifting machine! Is this the same person that I recall putting it off for weeks last year? You are always such an inspiration!!

Rori, I really hate you have been down and out for so long. That was a good thought about DH or anyone: “What if that is the very best they can do?” Sometimes it’s so easy to be critical. Something for all of us to think about.

Joyce, how wonderful that you can see things more clearly. Still sending prayers for Charlie and yes, eating at home more is the solution.

Janetr, aren’t we all glad how safe we feel when flying. I know all that had to be frustrating and especially the part with your purse and coat. I’m glad you made it home safely. Beautiful picture!!!

MicheleNC, I hope the weather is nice there? I can’t remember what part of the state you are in but saw some bad storms in parts. We dodged the bullet on what was forecasted for today.
    m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Somehow I got really far behind so I’m going to post this now before it gets any longer. I’m just finished with page 57. I need to go start dinner. I’ve been adding weights and intensity to my workouts in the mornings and feeling it in some sore muscles. I get encouraged when I can add even a little time to my workouts. Baby steps work for me. Congrats on all the victories and (((Hugs))) to all that need or want them. Together we can do this, my friends!!!

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just want to say Hi to everyone. So much reading to catch up and find out what you are all doing. Love reading all you posts, will have to make some time to catch up.

Just want to let everyone know that I think this site is fantastic and it is great to know that you are all there to support others. Thank you.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,769 Member
    Options
    a quick hidee ho , thank goodness no jury duty tomorrow. but tired, so going to bed.. might have to get up and sweep water into sump pump hole in middle of the night heavy rains here in Connecticut
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :)Michele, here is the link to the dumbbells I have.....they are high quality and pretty easy to change weights once you figure out what weight you want. I already had a pair of 5 lb, 10 lb, and 15 lb so I started them at 20 lbs each and just moved them up to 22.5 pounds so when I do squats, deadlifts, and dumbbell rows I am lifting 45 pounds.

amazon.com/gp/product/B007WKK5HE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ- Thanks! Yes, I do 10 at a time. I did them before I started weight lifting last March. I was a little surprised I could still do them. Great job on your workouts! Adding a little at a time is awesome!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Heather. Thank you for the encouragement. I do think I will see if I can add in some "baby steps" weight training. I have never in my life done any weight training so the thot is a bit daunting.

Janetr

:) If you've never done weight training, Heather and I both highly recommend that you read "Strong Women Stay Young" before you start---check to see if your library has it so you can read it right away.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, I'll do that right away. Been reading about weight training for women over 50 and watching videos this afternoon. Thanks for the information.

Janetr
  • barbiecat
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »

Mary, Terri, Barbie, and Heather- I love reading your work-out posts and stats! You too, Pip! You all inspire me to get my butt in gear! I started a morning cardio/strength training regimen here at home. I chose seven exercises and I pick five each day and do each one for a minute then rest for one minute, then repeat 3 times. Gives me a half hour work out, I do 15 minute meditation/tai chi to cool down and pull my brain together for the day, shower and start my day. I have had to move my walks to the evening, as my day starts so early. I am so glad it is staying lighter later!

:) what a great workout plan....I like your practice of tai chi/meditation to finish the workout.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,651 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 13.33min, 13.1amph, 147mhr, 2.9mi = 110c
    spin- 40min, 82ar, 116aw, 11-15g 125ahr, 156mhr, 16.2mi = 334c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.31min, 11.6amph, 148mhr 1.4mi = 72c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.29min, 8.9amph, 150mhr, = 176c
    692 total cal
  • barbiecat
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »

Barbie, you have become a weight lifting machine! Is this the same person that I recall putting it off for weeks last year? You are always such an inspiration!!

:)DJ. It took me awhile to figure out what was interfering with my doing my weight training and what excuse I was using and what I kept putting ahead of it in my priorities....when I did that, I was able to schedule it and tell my husband and others that I wasn't available during the weight training scheduled time....once I did that, it seemed so simple...you mentioned feeling sore from your workouts...I love feeling sore because it tells me that I worked extra hard.

• TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty well at staying at or below my calorie goal, but today I went over. I worked as a substitute teacher, so I had extra calories in my breakfast protein shake in order to get me through the first part of the day. My prepped lunch was on target, but when I got home I was ravenous and gave in to the chobani flip yogurt that was screaming at me. So, even though I ate a good dinner with chicken breast and a spinach salad, my total was high.

How do you all handle days where eating snacks or meals every couple of hours is impossible?
  • barbiecat
    Options
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    19,000 steps
    233 minutes of dog walking
    22 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 5X5 @ 45 lbs
    bench press 5X5 @ 36 lbs
    dumbbell row 5X5 @ 45 lbs
    calf raise 5X5 @ 31 lbs

I'm going to save the pushup challenge for days that I don't do my weight training....I did two sets of 5 tonight but they hurt my legs the same way the planks did.

<3Sylvia, I've heard from several sources that fear of speaking in public is higher on the list of fears than fear of dying so your fear of speaking is shared by a lot of people, but doing your homework, being prepared, breathing and finding a friendly face in the audience to look at will helps a lot....and remember, that all of us are supporting you.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful chilly NW Washingtont09013.gif
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pep talk on public speaking. I'm sure it will be fine. The room only holds 150 people. :#

The others are talking about going out for a drink afterward, and to have dinner. It will be after 8:00, so that's too late for me to eat dinner, especially burgers and fries, and I am a militant teetotaler, so I don't know if I'll go or not. Hubby doesn't want to go. I don't want to be seen as anti social, though.

Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Thanks for the pep talk on public speaking. I'm sure it will be fine. The room only holds 150 people. :#

The others are talking about going out for a drink afterward, and to have dinner. It will be after 8:00, so that's too late for me to eat dinner, especially burgers and fries, and I am a militant teetotaler, so I don't know if I'll go or not. Hubby doesn't want to go. I don't want to be seen as anti social, though.

Good night everyone!

Sylvia

Sylvia, I don't drink, I don't eat that late at night and I go to bed early, so I'd have no trouble telling anyone that the event was too late for me even though I'd enjoy their company....stick to what works for you...don't let yourself be bullied by anyone to do something you don't want to do.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,375 Member
    Options
    Vince is going to take me to the Y today, so I'll do some incline intervals. I think one of their machines does that. Don't know what's the story for tomorrow. I'll probably do a DVD at the condo since we're going to see some friends of ours in Palm Coast. Update: wasn't sure how to use the treadmill's settings so I just walked on the treadmill for an hour at 4mph. Vince is willing to take me to the Y tomorrow and he'll go to WalMart (he doesn't want me food shopping....lol) so I'll do some HIIT. I know that the couple we're going to see has the plan that we'll get there and have "cocktails" then go out to dinner. I'll be good, maybe have only one drink and watch what I order.

In order to keep Vince waiting as little as possible, I took a shower at the condo. Yes, I had to come home all sweaty. But it's too cold here so I don't think I'll be able to do that tomorrow.

Mary -thank you for the compliment about my exercise. the hardest part, I'm finding, is doing something that works with Vince's schedule. And the fact that I don't have weights here doesn't help one bit. But...."this too shall pass" (not soon enough for me, tho). If I was able to drive, I would have gone to the Y earlier and used the fitness room and done a weight training DVD. As it is, I have to work with Vince's schedule and so I had to do cardio. Oh well.....

Welcome everyone new!

binkwinky - if you click on the person's avatar, you will get their stats then click on their name and you will see a place that says "send friend request". Click on that. Be sure to mention in the comment box that you are from 50+. As for foods that fill you up, I find that air popped popcorn isn't high in calories but causes me to drink a lot.

janetr - we pick up the trailer on March 1 (boo) and leave the 2nd (double boo). Now I'm just frustrated, that's all. I'm trying to work with Vince's schedule, he and I are in many ways opposites. I'm more of a morning person whereas he's a nightowl. I like to get my exercising done early in the day and then go on doing other things. He's more of a homebody. Maybe it's good for me to have to bend a bit. Like today, I knew that he was waiting for me after exercising, so I took a shower at home. Of course, that meant I had to go home sweaty. But oh well... Update: Vince decided to put off leaving for one day. Not enough...but better than nothing. Not sure what was the impetus to his putting it back a day, but I'm not complaining.

jazzy - can't wait to hear about your different exercises. Welcome!

Heather - when you do the tricep exercises by raising the weight over your head, be sure to keep your arms in towards your head and not let them flail out. I find that so easy to do. I have to use lighter weights for lateral raises, too. Those are smaller muscles, so that's not surprising. Don't be surprised if the 5kg ones are too heavy. I was trying to picture the exercise you do for triceps with one foot on the bed, but I couldn't. So glad you heard from your son

Cheri - I had a hemmerhoidectomy a few years ago. After the procedure they did recommend that I use mineral oil to keep my stools soft. I also had to take sitz baths all the time. I don't like when doctors offices schedule appointments. Many times it just doesn't work into my schedule and I wind up having to reschedule. Good luck to you

Got home from exercising, helped Vince put up the picture we bought yesterday, then put a load of laundry in. I'm thinking that maybe it didn't spin as I thought the clothes were a bit too wet. Well, I'll just put them in the dryer for longer.

The other day while I was shopping I noticed something weird. I was trying on shoes and for some reason my left foot was swollen but not my right. Anyone have any idea what would cause one foot to be swollen and not the other? I haven't hurt it, or at least not that I know of. A while ago that was the foot where I had the plantar faciatis, but I don't know if that would affect it.

brendererc - so glad your health is on the upswing

Sylvia - I know you'll do well in your talk

DJ - we are right across the river from the Space Center (Titusville is the city). It was raining this a.m. but now it is REAL REAL windy

Michele from NC now (but not for long enough) in FL
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Not much time to chat - I have to get off the computer and make some steps - I need to make 31 miles in 6 days to reach mile goal of 105 miles this month....

So take care everyone, I am off to watch the curling on TV and walk in place

Lillian in West Central Ssaskatchewan
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I spent three years working in psychiatric research and part of my job was interviewing people using a structured interview format that was designed to tease out different diagnoses. The most common diagnoses by far was the fear of public speaking. I think people that are not afraid of public speaking are the exception rather than the norm. So maybe it will help to realize that almost everyone in the audience would be terrified to be doing what you are doing and are in awe of you for even trying it, Sylvia.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Make a list of talking points on a 3X5 card. When you are done ask if there are any questions. If possible, have other potters answer them. :heart: I think Miriam has a very good point. (((Hugs.)))

DJ: I agree with you about husbands. They are difficult in their own ways, even the ones with hearts of gold. :wink:

It has been a good day. DH went for a bike ride/walk with me along the river and it was lovely. He rides & I walk. We heard from DDIL and will be seeing she and our son soon. That is good news. We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving. I've had my wrist brace off most of the day & will wait to put it back on until bedtime. The wrist is still swollen and achy. This is the first day I've had the brace off all day. I'll put it back on to sleep because I have no way of knowing how much I'll toss, turn, and roll.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

Goals
    1. Find a place I can learn to fall without getting hurt once my doctor says it is ok to try.

30881843.png
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty well at staying at or below my calorie goal, but today I went over. I worked as a substitute teacher, so I had extra calories in my breakfast protein shake in order to get me through the first part of the day. My prepped lunch was on target, but when I got home I was ravenous and gave in to the chobani flip yogurt that was screaming at me. So, even though I ate a good dinner with chicken breast and a spinach salad, my total was high.

How do you all handle days where eating snacks or meals every couple of hours is impossible?

What is your total for the day? It doesn't sound like you had that much to eat to me.

I only eat breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack and dinner. I could never fit in eating more often than that.

I am going to be subbing tomorrow then going straight to a meeting with no dinner. I'm planning to have a good breakfast with egg, toast, and orange. Lunch will be a sandwich, raw veggies, and an apple. I'm also going to pack a sargento balanced break snack and then a quest bar with a banana. I plan to have lots of water on hand to keep the hunger at bay. They will have cake and cookies after the service. It is going to be hard to resist since I won't have had dinner, but the quest bar is pretty filling coupled with water.

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,648 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Janetr – what a great NSV “the skinny one”

Binkwinky jazzypdx, brenderc1 – welcome!

Alison - Ahhh the recommended response to chest pains is 911 not tums and go to sleep!!! Very glad you woke up this morning… but really!!!!

Heather – thanks for reminding us of how you got where you are, I have heard (read) the story before, but it helps to be reminded how much a first baby step can lead to.

Katla – exactly on the extra little! There is the fudge bar, and my fave the raspberry dipped in dark chocolate and there are 3 or 4 other flavors….

Sylvia and Vicki – count me in on the Mr. Tom meeting!

So some of you may remember that I strained? Overused my right bicep a week or so ago, I have been careful of it, resting as I can and it was on the mend… I re-injured it Tuesday chain sawing a tree down, again just over use, the wood was hard and the chain in need of a sharpen, so 45 minutes wheedling a chain saw was too much for a just healing arm. Last night was a horrid lack of sleep – I am a tummy sleeper (and really don’t sleep in any other position) and could not find a comfortable spot for my arm… grrrr!!! So today I called a friend who is a PT and on Alieve and ice now, she was sure I had not been thinking when I decided to cut down a tree… but…what is done is done. I skipped yoga tonight, as last week my arm really hurt after and that was 4 days after the first injury – so thought I better skip tonight, too bad as the instructor is really eye candy – and that is the best kind of candy – calorie free!

Kim from N. California