Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Valen004 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Hit 80kg , after 29 days of eating boxing. 80kg/1.85m, down from 90kg/1.85m.

Are you looking for congratulations? No one said you wouldn't lose weight. They said that you would likely lose weight so fast that you would risk loss of muscle and that the contents of the boxes you showed were lacking in important macro and micro nutrients.

To claim the lack of nutrients one should know my average nutrient intake over some time. It's not possible to deduce this from the picture of just several boxes on several given days.To reach the conclusion of nutrient deficiency one should get more data than what I have made available on this forum.

I think we can just go off the fact that you're losing almost a pound a day.

The average weight loss was like 10kg/29days=0.345kg=0.76 pounds weight loss per day.

First, congratulations on losing weight. That's not easy and you are working towards your goal. That said, you are losing awfully fast and are undoubtedly losing muscle in the process. You're not the first to do this, nor will you be the last. When you finally hit a wall with this, please consider upping your calorie intake a bit, maybe targeting about 500 calories at a time (about an extra sandwich a day since you aren't counting?), and making sure you up your protein intake while strength training if you aren't already. Dialing it all in can take time and few get everything right the first time around.

Thank you for the congrats,
    It seems to me that my average cal intake over 29 days, taking into accounts 5 or so days of 0-intake (hunger days kind of), was not less than like 1500 cal/day.

Just to think of all the wine and chocolate I consumed :-). It's not been really difficult, and I guess 500 cal/day would more difficult.

And I was pretty active , like 10 km walking every day.

Wait. I just re-read this one. Are you now saying that for 5 of the 29 days you ate nothing? 0 intake? Meaning 0 calories? You are a young male. Consuming 1500 cals/average is not healthy.

Look I am all for wine and chocolate. In moderation. As part of a balanced diet that includes other macro and micronutrients. You may have only posted a random sampling of your meals, but based on what you have shown us, there are not enough calories there, nor enough nutrients, to support healthy weight loss.

So what's your plan now that you've rapidly lost the weight that you set out to lose? What is your plan to transition into maintenance? How many calories do you intend to consume?

Don't you mean, "How much larger of a box do you plan to use during maintenance?"
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Are you looking for congratulations? No one said you wouldn't lose weight. They said that you would likely lose weight so fast that you would risk loss of muscle and that the contents of the boxes you showed were lacking in important macro and micro nutrients.

To claim the lack of nutrients one should know my average nutrient intake over some time. It's not possible to deduce this from the picture of just several boxes on several given days.To reach the conclusion of nutrient deficiency one should get more data than what I have made available on this forum.

The average weight loss was like 10kg/29days=0.345kg=0.76 pounds weight loss per day.

First, congratulations on losing weight. That's not easy and you are working towards your goal. That said, you are losing awfully fast and are undoubtedly losing muscle in the process. You're not the first to do this, nor will you be the last. When you finally hit a wall with this, please consider upping your calorie intake a bit, maybe targeting about 500 calories at a time (about an extra sandwich a day since you aren't counting?), and making sure you up your protein intake while strength training if you aren't already. Dialing it all in can take time and few get everything right the first time around.

It seems to me that my average cal intake over 29 days, taking into accounts 5 or so days of 0-intake (hunger days kind of), was not less than like 1500 cal/day.

Just to think of all the wine and chocolate I consumed :-). It's not been really difficult, and I guess 500 cal/day would more difficult.

Wait. I just re-read this one. Are you now saying that for 5 of the 29 days you ate nothing? 0 intake? Meaning 0 calories? You are a young male. Consuming 1500 cals/average is not healthy.

Look I am all for wine and chocolate. In moderation. As part of a balanced diet that includes other macro and micronutrients. You may have only posted a random sampling of your meals, but based on what you have shown us, there are not enough calories there, nor enough nutrients, to support healthy weight loss.

So what's your plan now that you've rapidly lost the weight that you set out to lose? What is your plan to transition into maintenance? How many calories do you intend to consume?

We don't even need to speculate about the rest of his days. He's lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time, which proves without a doubt that these samplings were not the only low calorie days. According to him he's eaten more than half of these very low calories in chocolate and wine, so no speculating about not getting enough nutrition either.

It's been said and said again, OP does not seem to want to listen or even consider what is being said. All I can say is, good luck. Hopefully maintenance will not be as unhealthy as the diet itself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I do find that an interesting thing that he is so hell bent for leather on reducing proper food intake while still not wanting to give up his wine and chocolate. I think priorities are an issue as well as a plan for the future. You can't maintian forever on nothing but wine, chocolate, and hummis.
  • Valen004
    Valen004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Apologies if it wasn't clear, but I meant increasing your calorie intake by about 500 at a time, so from 1500 to 2000.

Yes certainly I think to eat a bit more...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I do find that an interesting thing that he is so hell bent for leather on reducing proper food intake while still not wanting to give up his wine and chocolate. I think priorities are an issue as well as a plan for the future. You can't maintian forever on nothing but wine, chocolate, and hummis.

So what you're saying is, it's time for OP to...

z0mgnfjy1dyj.jpeg

...think outside the box?

6pkmbnwb3vfy.jpeg
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    (Wait. Was that joke already done in this thread?)
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Yes, but only once, so you're good :)
  • Valen004
    Options

My plan is just like that of any other person I think .. To live and enjoy life :-). I think it is reasonable goal to keep weight under 80kg.

I don't really count calories every morning when preparing the box very strictly, I just staff the box with some reasonable amount of food. I think it is important to continue boxing in order not to overeat, because "outside of the box" it is very easy for me to overeat a lot.

The boxing should go on.
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So, that's what I've been doing wrong. I've only lost 7 pounds in the last 5 weeks due to CICO and exercise but apparently I could lose so much more if I just put my food in a box. How big of a box would one need to hold a pounder bag of peanut M&Ms and some wine? The box doesn't need to hold an entire bottle of wine; just a glass would be fine.
  • Valen004
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sdbernier wrote: »
    So, that's what I've been doing wrong. I've only lost 7 pounds in the last 5 weeks due to CICO and exercise but apparently I could lose so much more if I just put my food in a box. How big of a box would one need to hold a pounder bag of peanut M&Ms and some wine? The box doesn't need to hold an entire bottle of wine; just a glass would be fine.

Yes, to try this diet out get a box, something like 5-liter box I think would do fine.
    You can get bigger box, but if it's too big it's going to be difficult to put it inside a bag or something if you go someplace.

At the morning put all things for the day (24 hours) to come you want to eat. And eat absolutely nothing but the things you boxed at the morning until tomorrow, when you prep your next box.

Drinking is only tea/coffee/boiled water/water unlimited. Ordinary unsweetened coffee,tea meant.
    If your tea/coffee is sweet, it all should be boxed. Outside of the box-only water.

Wine and milk is usually stored at fridge, because I don't know what size a glass is, it can be different, I stored just 2-3 bottles of wine (0.75 liter) per week and 1 liter of milk per week. Also no sugar outside of the box, if you need sugar for coffee/tea, put it into the box.

How much is pounder bag of peanut M&Ms ? I see on the web it is huge, 5 pounds thing. It is too much to eat it every day .

I was having only tea/coffee/salt/pepper/some ketchup outside of the box.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yes, to try this diet out get a box, something like 5-liter box I think would do fine.
    You can get bigger box, but if it's too big it's going to be difficult to put it inside a bag or something if you go someplace.

At the morning put all things for the day (24 hours) to come you want to eat. And eat absolutely nothing but the things you boxed at the morning until tomorrow, when you prep your next box.

Drinking is only tea/coffee/boiled water/water unlimited. Ordinary unsweetened coffee,tea meant.
    If your tea/coffee is sweet, it all should be boxed. Outside of the box-only water.

Wine and milk is usually stored at fridge, because I don't know what size a glass is, it can be different, I stored just 2-3 bottles of wine (0.75 liter) per week and 1 liter of milk per week. Also no sugar outside of the box, if you need sugar for coffee/tea, put it into the box.

How much is pounder bag of peanut M&Ms ? I see on the web it is huge, 5 pounds thing. It is too much to eat it every day .

2-3 bottles of wine per week on an extreme deficit? I'm beginning to suspect you aren't reaching anything close to reasonably healthy nutritional targets. In fact, not even good macro targets (which are far easier to reach).

Let's run some numbers (which are really interesting to me because I'm in the early stages of going from nearly 200 pounds to 175 (over 3-4 months), which is what you did (in 1 month).). That's 7ish - 10ish ounces per day. 178 - 267 calories from wine. (I, too, enjoy a frequent glass of wine as my open diary will attest.)

But let's back up. To lose 10 pounds, that's a daily deficit of 2660. Assuming a 4000 TDEE (which is almost certainly an overestimation, but let's give you the benefit of the doubt here), that's net intake of 1340 daily.

Protein of 0.8 - 1.0g per pound of bw to help minimize massive loss of muscle, so 140 - 175g which is 560 - 700 calories. That leaves 640 - 780 calories to work with. Minimum fat intake of 0.35g/bw to prevent negetuve hormonal issues, so 61g which is 550. That leaves 10-150 calories of (non-wine) carbs (which is 2- 45ish grams). Yes, it is possible to eat so few carbs, but 1) it is not easy, and 2) based on the sample box pics, is not something you are doing. Not even close. So you're cutting either protein or fats low...likely *way* too low. And we didn't even account for any chocolate.

Okay, this is no longer for OP but for others who are tempted to follow a similar approach: don't do it. If you want to put your food in a box, fine, but log it and check that you're reaching suggested macro minimums and micro nutrition.

This stuff isn't complicated, but it isn't something you're likely to get right accidentally. OP didn't.

PS: a "pounder" bag of M&Ms is one pound. It will still likely fit in the box.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

2-3 bottles of wine per week on an extreme deficit? I'm beginning to suspect you aren't reaching anything close to reasonably healthy nutritional targets. In fact, not even good macro targets (which are far easier to reach).

Let's run some numbers (which are really interesting to me because I'm in the early stages of going from nearly 200 pounds to 175 (over 3-4 months), which is what you did (in 1 month).). That's 7ish - 10ish ounces per day. 178 - 267 calories from wine. (I, too, enjoy a frequent glass of wine as my open diary will attest.)

But let's back up. To lose 10 pounds, that's a daily deficit of 2660. Assuming a 4000 TDEE (which is almost certainly an overestimation, but let's give you the benefit of the doubt here), that's net intake of 1340 daily.

Protein of 0.8 - 1.0g per pound of bw to help minimize massive loss of muscle, so 140 - 175g which is 560 - 700 calories. That leaves 640 - 780 calories to work with. Minimum fat intake of 0.35g/bw to prevent negetuve hormonal issues, so 61g which is 550. That leaves 10-150 calories of (non-wine) carbs (which is 2- 45ish grams). Yes, it is possible to eat so few carbs, but 1) it is not easy, and 2) based on the sample box pics, is not something you are doing. Not even close. So you're cutting either protein or fats low...likely *way* too low. And we didn't even account for any chocolate.

Okay, this is no longer for OP but for others who are tempted to follow a similar approach: don't do it. If you want to put your food in a box, fine, but log it and check that you're reaching suggested macro minimums and micro nutrition.

This stuff isn't complicated, but it isn't something you're likely to get right accidentally. OP didn't.

The wine is actually even going to compound the problem of achieving micros as it will make some of them less bio-available.
  • Valen004
    Options

I believe that checking certain micro consumption norms might be a good idea.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Which ones?
  • Valen004
    Options

Which ones?

Generally recommended values of average intake of various nutrients, fats, proteins etc over some time interims. The idea is good but largely irrelevant to weight loss efforts.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Which ones?

Generally recommended values of average intake of various nutrients, fats, proteins etc over some time interims. The idea is good but largely irrelevant to weight loss efforts.

:neutral:

How much value, if any, do you put on preservation of muscle mass during periods of weight loss?

Similar (but admittedly related) question about value of maintaining hormone balance/preventing reduction of testosterone?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Only a few times lol.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

My plan is just like that of any other person I think .. To live and enjoy life :-). I think it is reasonable goal to keep weight under 80kg.

I don't really count calories every morning when preparing the box very strictly, I just staff the box with some reasonable amount of food. I think it is important to continue boxing in order not to overeat, because "outside of the box" it is very easy for me to overeat a lot.

The boxing should go on.

Yes, for most people they should be under 80KG depending on their height but the weight on the scale isn't the only measure of health. You have probably lost a lot of muscle as well, and you have been told this several times, and I'm going to guess that you will never regain that muscle mass. The amount of visceral fat you carry is often more important than just how much you weigh. Have you done a hip to waist ratio lately?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Only a few times lol.

(:wink:)
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the box per se, assuming the contents aren't completely arbitrary. If it helps you to physically put all your food in a box to know that you can't eat anything outside of it, I can see how that would be psychologically helpful. But unless there is some method behind what you put in the box (using MFP calories or a certain measure of each macro or whatever), the box is not helping you. To lose weight in a healthy manner, you need a way to know that you are getting adequate nutrients for your body mass, and not eating too much such that you won't lose weight.