Box diet

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Loving those pictures CollieFit, yumyum!
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Valen004 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am in the camp of not really understanding how this is different than just planning out what you eat for the day and then sticking with that. You said you haven't really tried MFP yet OP, but yet, here you are...

Maybe before trying out the box you should try entering your stats and goals into MFP, letting it calculate an appropriate deficit for you, eating foods that you enjoy (in or out of the box), logging everything accurately and honestly, and aiming to eat a balanced, nutrient dense diet?

Or basically, all of this..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

I don't say other methods don't work . They very well may work.
    The box is not really different from just plain planning. However I suspect that with planning it is easier to get off the plan. With the box you are sure what you are doing. You don't really need to think a lot. So you have a lot of control I think.

I think there is merit to your method. Every time you eat you choose carefully how much you are going to eat in order to stretch it out over the whole day. I think that is a very interesting idea and it really could work. The only thing I might do differently for myself would be to go easier on the carbs - it cuts down on my cravings. Please keep us posted and I wish you lots of success!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp of not really understanding how this is different than just planning out what you eat for the day and then sticking with that. You said you haven't really tried MFP yet OP, but yet, here you are...

Maybe before trying out the box you should try entering your stats and goals into MFP, letting it calculate an appropriate deficit for you, eating foods that you enjoy (in or out of the box), logging everything accurately and honestly, and aiming to eat a balanced, nutrient dense diet?

The box is not really different from just plain planning. However I suspect that with planning it is easier to get off the plan. With the box you are sure what you are doing. You don't really need to think a lot. So you have a lot of control I think.

I think there is merit to your method. Every time you eat you choose carefully how much you are going to eat in order to stretch it out over the whole day. I think that is a very interesting idea and it really could work. The only thing I might do differently for myself would be to go easier on the carbs - it cuts down on my cravings. Please keep us posted and I wish you lots of success!

He's eating at an extreme deficit and is seemingly oblivious to nutrition at either a macro or micro level and the only suggestion you have is to reduce carbs???
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    sdbernier wrote: »
    So, that's what I've been doing wrong. I've only lost 7 pounds in the last 5 weeks due to CICO and exercise but apparently I could lose so much more if I just put my food in a box. How big of a box would one need to hold a pounder bag of peanut M&Ms and some wine? The box doesn't need to hold an entire bottle of wine; just a glass would be fine.

Wine and chocolates go outside the box, hun.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So, that's what I've been doing wrong. I've only lost 7 pounds in the last 5 weeks due to CICO and exercise but apparently I could lose so much more if I just put my food in a box. How big of a box would one need to hold a pounder bag of peanut M&Ms and some wine? The box doesn't need to hold an entire bottle of wine; just a glass would be fine.

Which is funny, because those are the items people usually want to moderate, and not cucumber and tomato salad.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Which is funny, because those are the items people usually want to moderate, and not cucumber and tomato salad.

The guy needs to put wine and chocolate in the box, and protein shakes on the outside.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yum @colliefit
    needs ice cream though

Not huuugely fussed on most ice cream....

Well back in the day when Häagen-Dazs made Baileys ice cream... Now THEN you were talking business, but I think they stopped doing it. Can't see it anywhere in our supermarkets anymore. *wipes tear*

This was really tasty if you were lucky enough to find it (aka, you live in the south):
    bourbonpeacanpie-pint-detail.png
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options

LOL! (And thanks for catching my sarcasm)
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it seems like a good way of allotting your food for the day if you are a visual person and have a hard time with night time snacking. Might not work for everyone, but if it works for you, go for it!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

LOL "cut down on the carbs" --- that only leaves him with half a pot of hummus for the day then! *shakes head*
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,996 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Hit 80kg , after 29 days of eating boxing. 80kg/1.85m, down from 90kg/1.85m.

Are you looking for congratulations? No one said you wouldn't lose weight. They said that you would likely lose weight so fast that you would risk loss of muscle and that the contents of the boxes you showed were lacking in important macro and micro nutrients.

To claim the lack of nutrients one should know my average nutrient intake over some time. It's not possible to deduce this from the picture of just several boxes on several given days.To reach the conclusion of nutrient deficiency one should get more data than what I have made available on this forum.

I think we can just go off the fact that you're losing almost a pound a day.

The average weight loss was like 10kg/29days=0.345kg=0.76 pounds weight loss per day.

First, congratulations on losing weight. That's not easy and you are working towards your goal. That said, you are losing awfully fast and are undoubtedly losing muscle in the process. You're not the first to do this, nor will you be the last. When you finally hit a wall with this, please consider upping your calorie intake a bit, maybe targeting about 500 calories at a time (about an extra sandwich a day since you aren't counting?), and making sure you up your protein intake while strength training if you aren't already. Dialing it all in can take time and few get everything right the first time around.

Thank you for the congrats,
    It seems to me that my average cal intake over 29 days, taking into accounts 5 or so days of 0-intake (hunger days kind of), was not less than like 1500 cal/day.

Just to think of all the wine and chocolate I consumed :-). It's not been really difficult, and I guess 500 cal/day would more difficult.

And I was pretty active , like 10 km walking every day.

Wait. I just re-read this one. Are you now saying that for 5 of the 29 days you ate nothing? 0 intake? Meaning 0 calories? You are a young male. Consuming 1500 cals/average is not healthy.

Look I am all for wine and chocolate. In moderation. As part of a balanced diet that includes other macro and micronutrients. You may have only posted a random sampling of your meals, but based on what you have shown us, there are not enough calories there, nor enough nutrients, to support healthy weight loss.

So what's your plan now that you've rapidly lost the weight that you set out to lose? What is your plan to transition into maintenance? How many calories do you intend to consume?

My plan is just like that of any other person I think .. To live and enjoy life :-). I think it is reasonable goal to keep weight under 80kg.

I don't really count calories every morning when preparing the box very strictly, I just staff the box with some reasonable amount of food. I think it is important to continue boxing in order not to overeat, because "outside of the box" it is very easy for me to overeat a lot.

The boxing should go on.

Yes, for most people they should be under 80KG depending on their height but the weight on the scale isn't the only measure of health. You have probably lost a lot of muscle as well, and you have been told this several times, and I'm going to guess that you will never regain that muscle mass. The amount of visceral fat you carry is often more important than just how much you weigh. Have you done a hip to waist ratio lately?

OP is a 30 year old male, 185 cm tall, that is about 6 ft 2 in.

He wouldn't want to go far under 80 kg - at 80 kg he is already in healthy BMI range.

Actually it's 6' 3/4 but 80kg should be a decent weight for that height. However, bf% is just as important and I'd be surprised if he wasn't a lot higher than he should be for that weight.

I did say ABOUT 6 ft 2 in, which it is, after doing rough calculation in my head - but for those who need to be exact, ok, 6ft 3/4 inch.
    My point wasn't exactly how 185 cm translated to imperial measurements but that for a young man of that height, 80 kg is already within healthy BMI range and he should not be aiming to lose much more.

He seems to be trying to aggressively lose more weight, which does not seem a healthy goal from where he currently is.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    OP, are you still doing this?