Do you even kale?

Options

Replies

• mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't trust any food that has to be 'massaged' to be edible

Massaged? I've never had to "massage" the kale. Just cut the leaves off the spine, chop it up and use.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No bread?
    _John_ wrote: »

so no meat or bread, brah?

Darn you two and your 'gotcha' questions...clearly it's a media conspiracy
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Kale is thyroid suppressive. Since I'm hypothyroid, the doctor advises me not to eat kale.

Do you also not eat broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, brussel sprouts . . . basically any cruciferous vegetable because they have the same effect as kale.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Interesting. So, people actually like kale? I thought it was one of those things people tortured themselves with because self flagellation is so out of style.

There are a lot of good ways to prepare it. I've had it sauteed with bacon with blue cheese crumbled on it, I've frozen a bunch of it and used it in soups, sauces, and other dishes, I've had it steamed . . . .

I had it in a salad once and ended up picking it all out. Oh, and in a smoothie, but there was enough fruit in there to mask the taste. I thought it was unfair to the fruit though. And bacon? Don't you feel bad for bringing down the bacon with it? Sort of like the hot girl being paired with the nerdy guy in chemistry class? Wait. I'm kale!? Never mind . . .
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Been eating kale for over 40 years, have no idea what that statement means. I have never massaged kale. I'm not even sure how one would go about it. :laugh:

For your reading enjoyment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/how-to-massage-kale_n_1601200.html

Interesting. Now if only I could get it to massage me.

Just buy Soviet Kale.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like how kale tastes when I mix it 50/50 with spinach. I grew up eating greens -- we had a farm and my favorite was a wild green called lamb's quarter or pigweed. My mom used to send me out with the scissors to cut it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Kale is thyroid suppressive. Since I'm hypothyroid, the doctor advises me not to eat kale.

I think that's only when eaten raw, isn't it? Spinach is also if not cooked.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Been eating kale for over 40 years, have no idea what that statement means. I have never massaged kale. I'm not even sure how one would go about it. :laugh:

Massaged is the best!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

The kale from my garden is neither bitter nor tough. I've bought some in the supermarket that came pre-chopped in a bag that was terrible. I wonder how many people who have had bad experiences with kale are eating old kale.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Kobe beef?!? And they chant to the lads.....
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Of course I kale!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    Nah, kale tastes like dirt a little too "earthy" for my liking

+1 and beets.

Have you tried beet greens?!? Clean off the dirt and they taste like dust. Packed full of stuff. What stuff?!? IDK, but it has stuff.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

One born every minute

Not everyone is a sheep. I never had kale until it was part of a crop share I was getting with my sister. Loved it ever since.

I was eating kale decades before I ever heard the word "superfood". It's not a new crop, ya know.

More food choices then when I was growing up. superfood lists are great to garner interest, sell magazines, but I would need to make kale chips to eat it regularly. Tried it in smoothies and just wasn't my bag. Spinach is my friend. Kale for some reason is the red headed step child. Let me oil it, bake it, then maybe.

• boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    Nah, kale tastes like dirt a little too "earthy" for my liking

+1 and beets.

Have you tried beet greens?!? Clean off the dirt and they taste like dust. Packed full of stuff. What stuff?!? IDK, but it has stuff.
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

One born every minute

Not everyone is a sheep. I never had kale until it was part of a crop share I was getting with my sister. Loved it ever since.

I was eating kale decades before I ever heard the word "superfood". It's not a new crop, ya know.

More food choices then when I was growing up. superfood lists are great to garner interest, sell magazines, but I would need to make kale chips to eat it regularly. Tried it in smoothies and just wasn't my bag. Spinach is my friend. Kale for some reason is the red headed step child. Let me oil it, bake it, then maybe.

If you had said you were going to make a smoothie using kale when I was growing up people would have thought you were crazy (or, as my grandma used to say, "tetched in the head") Right after they asked "What is a smoothie ?" :laugh:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I do not kale. Or spinach. (psst, vegetable names are not verbs.)

Broccoli is good though :)
  • senecarr
    Options
    Kobe beef?!? And they chant to the lads.....

I think beef is pretty edible even not massaged.
  • senecarr
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I'm here to squash that idea.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I kale but only because we get one of those organic farmboxes and sometimes it has kale in it. I like to saute it with red onion and mushroom with a little garlic olive oil.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I'm here to squash that idea.

Ha! Good one.