Do you even kale?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    No kale for me. Tried it numerous ways, still don't like it. I'll stick to spinach, raw by preference, in spanakopita if not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    No kale for me. Tried it numerous ways, still don't like it. I'll stick to spinach, raw by preference, in spanakopita if not.

Mmmmmm spanakopita.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I don't trust any food that has to be 'massaged' to be edible
    Kobe beef?!? And they chant to the lads.....

I think beef is pretty edible even not massaged.

True. Not sure anyone is speaking or chanting around the grass fed/non-grass fed cattle I consume.

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    I kale but only because we get one of those organic farmboxes and sometimes it has kale in it. I like to saute it with red onion and mushroom with a little garlic olive oil.
    What is it with these organic farm box people?!? Yeah, we get it from our CSA along with bok choy and an assortment of greens.

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I kale but only because we get one of those organic farmboxes and sometimes it has kale in it. I like to saute it with red onion and mushroom with a little garlic olive oil.
    What is it with these organic farm box people?!? Yeah, we get it from our CSA along with bok choy and an assortment of greens.

We got an enormous bag this week in our box, I swear it is half a metre long. It's taking up half the fridge.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

We got an enormous bag this week in our box, I swear it is half a metre long. It's taking up half the fridge.
    We have a break til Spring but last year they unloaded squash for 2 weeks. I was actually tired of roasting it for soups. And, I don't like squashing greens to get them to fit in the fridge. Sounds like you'll be having some for the next few days.
  • rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love all green veggies, especially the leafy greens, including kale. But, I've always said that if I were a vegetable, I would be spinach. :smile:

Now, fruit is another story. It all tastes too sweet to me so I use them in green smoothies with lots of greens so I can stand them. Except blueberries. Blueberries are glorious on their own.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Blech...I am not a kale fan. I stick to spinach.

Me too
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Spinach and arugula for me - but this thread is inspiring me to buy kale again.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This whole thread is full of sadness.

ETA I mean kale. Full of kale.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    This whole thread is full of sadness.

ETA I mean kale. Full of kale.

That hits me as a difference without distinction
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

So what? If we never ate food that animals eat we'd starve.
    Lol, like grass and beetles?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• soapiiuh
    soapiiuh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like kale raw not a big fan of kale chips though
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    maaan i hate raw kale. Its so chewy i feel like a cow munching on grass. I do love it in soups and kale chips.. both rarely make.. and yet i still buy it every damn week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I like kohlrabi greens though. Used to throw them out and just eat the bulb and then realized what a waste that was.

Yeah, agreed. I'm also much better about eating beet greens, which are delicious.

I like most greens, don't have a favorite, try to vary them.

Am really into collards, even though apparently WF has been mocked for promoting them (I liked them years ago, but did discover them at WF+reading about NY traditions, so feel defensive).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »

We have a break til Spring but last year they unloaded squash for 2 weeks. I was actually tired of roasting it for soups. And, I don't like squashing greens to get them to fit in the fridge. Sounds like you'll be having some for the next few days.

So do we. Where do these people live who get deliveries now?

And yeah, we had bad weather this summer so every message from my farm was about how terrible things were, but in autumn and early winter we got crazy amount of winter squash and root veg I am still dealing with (used the kale, mostly in omelets).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I do not kale. Or spinach. (psst, vegetable names are not verbs.)

Broccoli is good though :)
    I'm here to squash that idea.

heheheh
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's ok. I buy it if its on sale...but spinach wins everytime <3
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Kale, like brussel sprouts, broccoli and many of the other Brassica oleracea species have a concentration of various protective chemicals that taste bitter to some. Hence the love/hate relationship.

I prefer brussel sprouts and broccoli.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    i <3 kale. i eat it every morning in smoothie