Do you even kale?

Options

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It was so weird to me, because I hadn't been sedentary (working out once per day, twice a day at least three times a week), I don't eat insane amounts of cruciferous veggies, I hadn't sat on a plane for 14 hours or something like that. It just happened. Turned out it just happened to dad, too, about five years earlier. I'd say getting older sucks, but I saw 16-18 year-olds at the clinic, too. Life, I suppose...

Eat lots of berries!! It has the opposite effect. My partner has had 3 dvts now and has vascular ulcers as well :frowning: he had a high tension metal cable snap and wrap around his calf 15+ years ago
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

So what? If we never ate food that animals eat we'd starve.
    Lol, like grass and beetles?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I didn't say we had to eat ALL food animals eat. Though some beetles are probably nutritious.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I do love me some brussel sprouts. Very filling also in my opinion so that's a big plus for them.

Yeah...broccoli, brussel sprouts...fill me up brother! Love em love em love em. Spinach...arugula...gimme gimme gimme.

Kale is still the devil.

Oh what a double standard. Had you said sugar was the devil this thread would have blown up with advice that you have a bad relationship with food and you shouldn't demonize ... yadda, yadda, yadda
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I do love me some brussel sprouts. Very filling also in my opinion so that's a big plus for them.

Yeah...broccoli, brussel sprouts...fill me up brother! Love em love em love em. Spinach...arugula...gimme gimme gimme.

Kale is still the devil.

Oh what a double standard. Had you said sugar was the devil this thread would have blown up with advice that you have a bad relationship with food and you shouldn't demonize ... yadda, yadda, yadda

DYE sarcasm?
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    One of my all time favorite recipes has kale in it.

http://pinchofyum.com/sweet-potato-kale-sausage-bake-white-cheese-sauce

And a pound of italian sausage and lots of gruyere cheese...but, ya know, also kale.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I can pick it up for pretty cheap, so I'm good with it. Turnip greens are my favorite.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I kale failed. Spinach on Tombstone today...with EVOO. Evil stuff.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I share Jim Gaffigan's feelings about kale...

"It tastes like bug spray. I was looking at a can of bug spray and it said, 'made with real kale'."
    "Kale is a superfood, and it's special power is tasting bad."
    "It's like a really bitter spinach with hair."
    "They could find out that kale cures cancer and I'd be like, 'I'll just do the chemo'."
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    olimadmom wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kale-anti-inflammatory-full-of-antioxidants.jpg

Once I find a typo ("Inflammitory"), I lose all respect and question the veracity of the rest of the content.

Shoot. Guess I'll get back to the other method of preventing prostate cancer.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The kale in my garden is not bitter and tastes nothing like bug spray. It is sweet and luscious. I plant a variety of greens because they all taste and behave differently. My very favorite way to cook it: wash, remove center stalk, roll, and slice thinly. Put it in a skillet with a little water and olive oil and a few raisins or dried cherries and a sprinkle of salt. Put the lid on and cook over medium till tender (just a few minutes) then sprinkle on blue cheese and toasted pine nuts. Yum!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    One night I made a crap ton of kale chips and woke up with my throat feeling tight and itchy. I didn't really think much of it so ate kale again for lunch...itchy. Only in large quantities does it happen, but it doesn't really make me want kale anymore.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Only ways I like it are kale chips and in my homeade kale sausage and potato soup
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmm I have tried it. I even have a container of homemade kale chips next to my bed (for netflix ;-)), but I just find it too bitter. I am going to try making brussel sprout leaf salt & vinegar chips next.
  • thatsupernaturalfitgirl
    Options
    Nope. Kale tastes like poisoned lettuce to me, and I'm not going to eat it just because "it's so good for you!!!"
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Kale tastes like a hippies arm pit.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    M3ltD0Vvn wrote: »
    Kale tastes like a hippies arm pit.

Bahahahahaha.

And no, I don't kale... I also don't spinach or brussel sprout... Just not for me!
  • chambej7
    chambej7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not a big kale fan, I also prefer spinach. But I have have heard such good things about the benefits of kale, so I think if I just mix it into a super food salad, I can get used to i.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Kale is amazing in gnocchi soup. I also don't mind it raw in sandwiches instead of lettuce.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    The kale in my garden is not bitter and tastes nothing like bug spray. It is sweet and luscious. I plant a variety of greens because they all taste and behave differently. My very favorite way to cook it: wash, remove center stalk, roll, and slice thinly. Put it in a skillet with a little water and olive oil and a few raisins or dried cherries and a sprinkle of salt. Put the lid on and cook over medium till tender (just a few minutes) then sprinkle on blue cheese and toasted pine nuts. Yum!!!

It has nothing to do with sourcing but how different people taste certain sulforaphanes.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I had a kale salad with grilled butternut squash, roasted beets, Granny Smith apples, and homemade granola for dinner tonight. Really yummy!

Oh, and I make kale chips in my dehydrator a couple of times a week with tahini, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Crispy, yet light and airy. Really good!