Most stupid exercise thing you ever did

Options
12346»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,424 Member
    Options
    After being sedentary for a while, I started back up exercising at one point. I had read that if you cycle with a raised seat or adjust the seat so that your legs have to stretch farther, you can increase your height. I tried this on a stationary bike with my legs stretched way too far, and that was the start of numerous joints popping/cracking when I do different movements.

yirara wrote: »
    Most recent stupid thing: Doing my first ever 10 mile race, half of it with tail winds, half against the wind. Only it wasn't windy that day, it stormed with gusts of up to 50mph. Now I'm not tall nor heavy, and neither used to running when it's windy. Was... interesting. I managed to get to the finish, but was completely dead... I only ran just over 5 miles anyway and did a powerwalk for the rest.
    I'm not much of a runner, and usually just run outside on occasion when the weather is nice. But since it can get very windy where I am at this time of year (sometimes with winds as strong as that), I have wondered what it's like to be running in those strong gusts. I'm sure it must have been hard to keep a running stride against the wind, but was it difficult with the tail wind as well?

For me it was. I set myself a pace I wanted to run at but was constantly pushed onwards much faster. As such, my 5 mile time was a new time record for me. However, trying to slow down after the strongest gusts costs a lot of energy as well, as does running faster than you're used to. Plus the wind constantly kicked my legs away from underneath me. Glad I didn't sprain an ankle as that is my weak spot.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,424 Member
    Options
    Got another one on offer: My running jubilee is 1. March. Until then I was hoping to have kind of up to date personal running records. Never did a 1 mile run apart from the first one ever. Thus last night I thought: what the heck, lets just do this one mile. Temperature just above freezing, no warm up, started out far too fast (I'm a slow runner), had to almost stop after 500 meters. Made it to the end in 11 minutes and had to give up on the idea of combining this with a first cooper test number. Was coughing badly for 3 hours afterwards and felt tight in my lungs.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    While running on a trail I came across a large puddle of water. I tried to jump over it but came up juuuuuust a bit short. And it wasn't a puddle :expressionless: . The damn thing was covering a small slope in the trail... looked like a frickin optical illusion from my vantage point. So basically I landed in a knee deep pool of algae infested water with god knows what animal(s) bodily fluids mixed in. I went into a full blown panic attack and started running back to my car like Jason was chasing me. Once home, I spent like an hour scrubbing my legs over and over with soap for fear that I was racing against time before gangrene would set in.

Like Journey said.... just a city boyyyyy. :blush:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Listened to all the keyboard gurus that said direct arm training wasn't necessary and basically caused a ton of elbow issues that coulda been avoided had I just done some curls now and then.

Also over tucking my elbows on the bench press and further worsening my elbow problems.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    zcb94 wrote: »
    The stupidest thing I've ever done in a workout setting is a tie between four events:
    1. I thought I'd be safe riding a horse outside on a very uneven trail, because I had three adults supervising. I wanted to cry!
    2. I'm pretty sure my hamstrings are on the brink of tearing, as hard as PTs stretched them in early childhood. I also have every reason to believe that well-meaning people would stand/press full body weight on my knees while I lay on my back, or force my toes to touch the ground from my prone position on my bed if it were ethical to do so, to deepen the stretch/muscle injury!
    3. One of them also advised that I wear a TENS unit, cranked up to full intensity, on my knees to get those muscles working. Bad idea!
    4. Basically, it was really stupid of me to trust PTs with my lame legs, because every last one of them has taken full advantage of me!
    Moral of the story: Do not trust physical therapists unless they involve you in your treatment.

I don't understand that.
    Most horses are more than capable of handling uneven terrain. They are the quintessential all terrain vehicle.

And I'm not sure I understand you're "my hamstrings are on the bring of tearing"- like currently you think they are close to tearing from people stretching them when you were a child?

I would imagine if someone doesn't know how to ride or hold their seat properly to follow the horses movement they would end up very sore and just sort of holding on and bouncing around. Shouldn't cause extreme pain though....I have been thrown more than a couple times and I mostly just bruised my ego

As for the 2nd I am not sure either

definitely could cause issues- but usually if they are just walking it shouldn't be a crisis (having been bounced around on a horse a lot- I know there are some big accidents that can happen and leave you hurting... coughcough- not that I'd know LOL)

and yeah- I got nothing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Technically, not an exercise thing. This is a not-going-to-the-doctor thing. Oops.
    I was playing soccer. I was shielding the ball from another player and he kicked me. I fell over. Wasn't in a lot of pain, but I knew my leg would not work for the rest of the day. It was serious.
    I limped off the field.
    Next day, my knee was sore and swollen, but that happens. I did not go to the doctor. I figured he would tell me to wait until the swelling went down, and then we could evaluate. So I waited.....and waited......About two months later, the swelling finally resided and the knee felt stable.
    So, what did I do? I went back out to play soccer.
    Ten or 15 minutes into the game, an evening, pick-up game at the local school yard, I went to run for a ball. I was not racing anyone, and no one was chasing me, so I wasn't going very fast. But, suddenly, there was a pop, a fair amount of pain, and I fell onto the ground.
    Now, if you know anything about ACL tears, the characteristic feature of these injuries is that there is a loud 'pop,' presumably from the thick ligament tearing asunder. I figure now that I got a partial tear when the guy kicked me many weeks before, and then I completed the job with my 3/4-speed sprint.
    But, the guys I was playing with were trying to reassure me. So, they admitted they heard a "pop" but they said that, in their opinion, it did not sound like THE "pop." It was different, probably a different injury.
    I took their word for it and, again, did not go to the doctor. The swelling took even longer to go down this time, at least two months, maybe longer, much of it limping. I even went out and played tennis a couple of times, and fell over once, when my knee gave way.
    Sometime later, I was talking with my brother, the doctor, on the phone. I was telling him about my injury, and how the other guys said my "pop" was not THE "pop."
    My brother stopped me and said: "What? Are you an idiot? You actually listened to a bunch of soccer players' medical advice?"
    As I was objecting, explaining that I figured most soccer players have a lot of experience with the "pop," if they have played much at all, the light went on. I began to swallow my words and mumble.
    Yeah. That was pretty dumb.
    I went to the doctor. He shook my knee. Then he scheduled me for surgery before even waiting for the confirmatory MRI. Sheesh

heh- that's pretty committed to the "I refuse to go to the doctor" if I had swelling that wouldn't go down for weeks I'd have my *kitten* in there stat. that's crazy you went for so long with a torn ACL!!!

how's it functioning now? back to normal?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The stupidest thing I've ever done in a workout setting is a tie between four events:
    1. I thought I'd be safe riding a horse outside on a very uneven trail, because I had three adults supervising. I wanted to cry!
    2. I'm pretty sure my hamstrings are on the brink of tearing, as hard as PTs stretched them in early childhood. I also have every reason to believe that well-meaning people would stand/press full body weight on my knees while I lay on my back, or force my toes to touch the ground from my prone position on my bed if it were ethical to do so, to deepen the stretch/muscle injury!
    3. One of them also advised that I wear a TENS unit, cranked up to full intensity, on my knees to get those muscles working. Bad idea!
    4. Basically, it was really stupid of me to trust PTs with my lame legs, because every last one of them has taken full advantage of me!
    Moral of the story: Do not trust physical therapists unless they involve you in your treatment.

I don't understand that.
    Most horses are more than capable of handling uneven terrain. They are the quintessential all terrain vehicle.

And I'm not sure I understand you're "my hamstrings are on the bring of tearing"- like currently you think they are close to tearing from people stretching them when you were a child?

I would imagine if someone doesn't know how to ride or hold their seat properly to follow the horses movement they would end up very sore and just sort of holding on and bouncing around. Shouldn't cause extreme pain though....I have been thrown more than a couple times and I mostly just bruised my ego

Reminds of another dumb thing I've done (though I don't know if I could have done anything else).

Was riding a horse named Jazz bareback - a very barrel-chested horse who was also very fat, which made involuntarily sliding off him super-easy when he was startled and shied sideways. Landed flat on my back and knocked the wind right out of me. I hadn't gotten the ability to breathe or move back when dear Jazz cantered back around, obliviously stepped on my pinky finger (seriously?) and broke it. Only injury more serious than a bruise that I've ever gotten in 20+ years of riding.

On the other hand, one of the women I used to have regular group riding lessons with fell off of a 30 yr. old, slow as a slug, sweetheart of a lesson horse at the walk because he stumbled on a rock. I guess she wasn't paying attention. Flew over his shoulder and landed on her face. Broke her jaw in multiple places, knocked out teeth, and caused $70,000-worth of dental work to repair the damage. Just goes to show there's always a way to get severely hurt.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I don't understand that.

definitely could cause issues- but usually if they are just walking it shouldn't be a crisis (having been bounced around on a horse a lot- I know there are some big accidents that can happen and leave you hurting... coughcough- not that I'd know LOL)

and yeah- I got nothing.

Other possibility is length of time on the horse - she didn't say. With someone not used to it, 30min on very uneven ground has a good chance making them so sore they're not able to walk for a day or so.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Stupidest exercise thing I ever did? This:
    https://youtu.be/UqZ7grNqlk8

It was my mom's video. Early 90s? Late 80s? Gawd.

Omg, when I was a teenager me and my girlfriend did this like 2 am (that was the time they would air the commercial) making these awful sounds!...lol I am so surprised we didn't wake my parents!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Technically, not an exercise thing. This is a not-going-to-the-doctor thing. Oops.
    I was playing soccer. I was shielding the ball from another player and he kicked me. I fell over. Wasn't in a lot of pain, but I knew my leg would not work for the rest of the day. It was serious.
    I limped off the field.
    Next day, my knee was sore and swollen, but that happens. I did not go to the doctor. I figured he would tell me to wait until the swelling went down, and then we could evaluate. So I waited.....and waited......About two months later, the swelling finally resided and the knee felt stable.
    So, what did I do? I went back out to play soccer.
    Ten or 15 minutes into the game, an evening, pick-up game at the local school yard, I went to run for a ball. I was not racing anyone, and no one was chasing me, so I wasn't going very fast. But, suddenly, there was a pop, a fair amount of pain, and I fell onto the ground.
    Now, if you know anything about ACL tears, the characteristic feature of these injuries is that there is a loud 'pop,' presumably from the thick ligament tearing asunder. I figure now that I got a partial tear when the guy kicked me many weeks before, and then I completed the job with my 3/4-speed sprint.
    But, the guys I was playing with were trying to reassure me. So, they admitted they heard a "pop" but they said that, in their opinion, it did not sound like THE "pop." It was different, probably a different injury.
    I took their word for it and, again, did not go to the doctor. The swelling took even longer to go down this time, at least two months, maybe longer, much of it limping. I even went out and played tennis a couple of times, and fell over once, when my knee gave way.
    Sometime later, I was talking with my brother, the doctor, on the phone. I was telling him about my injury, and how the other guys said my "pop" was not THE "pop."
    My brother stopped me and said: "What? Are you an idiot? You actually listened to a bunch of soccer players' medical advice?"
    As I was objecting, explaining that I figured most soccer players have a lot of experience with the "pop," if they have played much at all, the light went on. I began to swallow my words and mumble.
    Yeah. That was pretty dumb.
    I went to the doctor. He shook my knee. Then he scheduled me for surgery before even waiting for the confirmatory MRI. Sheesh

heh- that's pretty committed to the "I refuse to go to the doctor" if I had swelling that wouldn't go down for weeks I'd have my *kitten* in there stat. that's crazy you went for so long with a torn ACL!!!

how's it functioning now? back to normal?

I had surgery.
    I had to have the ACL replacement and some cartilage repair. The cartilage repair procedure (It's called an OATS procedure) is pretty new. It required that I be on crutches for something like eight weeks, which was horrible. Then, when they finally told me I could go out and hit the road, I was advised to skip first, for a couple of weeks.
    A grown man. Skipping? It was humiliating. I did it early in the morning, in the park, so the neighbors would not see me skipping up and down our street.
    But, that procedure is great. I have no pain, and I had quite a bit before. I highly recommend it.