Soooo....I Have Cancer

Options
tl;dr...I know.

I have a history of some ugly white spots appearing on my tongue. They were first noticed by my dentist at a 6 month check-up in 2008 and then again by me in 2010. Biopsies were performed and and each time it was determined that it was just dysplasia. While it didn't seem like a big deal, my ENT removed the tissue from my tongue. It was not a pleasant experience to say the least.

Fast forward to May of this year and thing started to feel a little weird while we were in California on vacation. I decided to just let it go, see if it would go away, whatever. After about a week and a half, things weren't feeling better so I took a look in the mirror. I knew immediately that something was wrong. It looked completely different than the last 2 versions and was in a slightly different location. I was scared.

I scheduled an appointment with my ENT for Friday June 14. He did a very thorough exam of my tongue. I could tell he did not like what he was seeing and feeling. He sat down on his chair, expressed an enormous level of concern with what he saw, and then told me those words that I will never EVER forget:

“You have cancer.”

My mind started spinning out of control and I felt like one of the characters from Mortal Kombat was using my stomach as a speedbag. I think he just said I have cancer. That cannot be true…can it? This isn't supposed to happen to a 30 year old guy that doesn't smoke, doesn't chew, drinks in moderation, and is arguably in the best shape of his life, right? A thousand questions started flooding my mind. How did this happen? You know this just by LOOKING at it? What are the next steps? I know you are a smart doctor but there is a chance you could be wrong…right? Do I need chemo? Radiation? What do I tell my family? Am I going to die.....?

Two biopsies, CT scan, chest x-ray, blood work, an MRI, 2nd and 3rd opinions in hand, and 6 days later his original diagnosis was confirmed.

I have cancer.

Woah. I called my family and close friends and told them the news. I repeated the story about a dozen times over the following week or so but the words didn't really seem to sink in. That quickly changed during my 2nd appointment with my head and neck surgeon. We reviewed the MRI scan and the tumor was staring me right it the eyes. Talk about a reality check. This *kitten* just. Go. Real. My surgeon put his hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eyes, and said, "You're going to be okay. You're going to be okay."

The next steps are surgery to remove the tumor and the lymph nodes in my neck, skin graft/reconstruction on my tongue, a 7-14 day recovery in the hospital, an additional 2-3 week recovery at home. After review of the pathology results of the lymph nodes and tumor I'll know whether or not I need radiation. At this time it seems as though it will be necessary (according to my surgeon, but it's technically TBD) which means 6-6 1/2 weeks of treatment followed by ~4 weeks of recovery afterwards.

Right now it's the fear of the unknown that scares me the most. I have no idea what to expect coming out of surgery. I'll likely need a feeding tube from my noes to my stomach and it's possible that I'll need a temporary tube in my trachea depending on how swollen my mouth and throat are when he is finished working. These things scare me but I know that I am in the hands of incredibly talented and compassionate doctors and nurses.

I have no idea why I'm sharing this with a bunch of strangers in the interwebz. I'm not looking for pity and I'm not looking for sympathy. Maybe I'm just using this as a form of therapy.

If you've made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read my story.

One thing is certain: I'm ready to put up the fight of my life and come out on the other side as a stronger person.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If the doctor says you'll be ok, and you're ready to fight, I think that's a good sign.

Thanks for being brave and sharing your story. I can only imagine what it must feel like to receive news like that.
  • SidsMom80
    SidsMom80 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    {{{hugs}}}
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

One thing is certain: I'm ready to put up the fight of my life and come out on the other side as a stronger person.

Wow. Heavy news, and lots to digest for you, I'm sure. I can't even imagine the range of emotions you're going through. I don't even know you, but can tell that you're going to persevere. This is the right attitude. One day at a time. You will beat this.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    You can get through this.

Do you know about Caring Bridge? It's a free online journal for cancer patients. You can write to update your family and friends, or you can write just for your own well being. You choose how much and when to share. It can be very helpful to get your thoughts out where you can see them. www.caringbridge.org

Wishing you successful treatment and a speedy recovery.
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've never met a stronger person than one battling cancer. You're positive attitude will definitely help you through this. I'll keep you in my thoughts.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I read it all. My thoughts are with you!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this, what a tough trial for you and your family. I wish you the best in your treatment and recovery, and it will be okay. Trust your doctor to do the best job he can to get you through.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a shock for you.

I've always admired you from afar in the forums.

I'm sending you positive healing thoughts. :flowerforyou:
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you.
  • 60x60
    60x60 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Different cancer, but worst day of my life was not when I was diagnosed with cancer, but when I had to bring in the note to work that said that I was "suffering from a life threatening illness". It is over five years later, I am the healthest I've ever been, seriously. I'm not going to lie, you may walk through the "gates of hell", but if your dr. says you'll be okay, you'll be okay. I'm betting you'll put one foot in front of the other and about two years from now you'll shake with fear and pride with what you've been through. Be strong, you are strong, and you'll be even stronger soon. I'll add hugs to the others.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Wow... Fight fight fight. Hugs.
  • onehotmama66
    Options
    ((((((((Hugs)))))))) I will say a prayer for you...
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you that this is a simple and as painless as possible! I hope it goes by fast and that you can get back to the you that you are used too.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Some of the strongest people I know are the one that have battled cancer and won! Stay positive! :flowerforyou:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Things are going to be surreal for a while. You will float through these upcoming weeks, but you will never forget a moment. Get a notebook and take it to every appt to take notes. You will remember your dr's garlic breath, but you won't remember a thing s/he said.

You may have an excellent prognosis, but you will never forget this. Take excellent care of yourself. And you know what? Eat some comfort foods. The weight loss can be resumed later.

Best of luck and strength to you.

<!~~~ Survivor =)
  • txin1
    txin1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    "What Cancer Cannot Do"

Cancer is so limited...
    It cannot cripple love.
    It cannot shatter hope.
    It cannot corrode faith.
    It cannot eat away peace.
    It cannot destroy confidence.
    It cannot kill friendship.
    It cannot shut out memories.
    It cannot silence courage.
    It cannot reduce eternal life.
    It cannot quench the Spirit.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    God bless you and your family. :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Cancer sucks.

I am sorry you are facing this right now. There are actual studies out there that show that a patient's attitude has a huge effect on beating cancer - I am convinced that you have the right attitude and I will pray for you - emotionally, physically - and for your medical staff for skill beyond measure.

Best of luck to you! And FIGHT HARD.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Those are terrible words to hear from your doctor. I'm so sorry. Your attitude will definitely help you get through this. Stay brave.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm praying for you man