Soooo....I Have Cancer

Options

Replies

• quilteer
    quilteer Posts: 2
    Options
    I know what a confusing time this is for you. When I heard I had cancer, my emotions were all over the board. My mother was unable to be a great comfort to me because she was so very elderly and infirm. My father was deceased. I remained in denial, never really accepted the concept, and fortunately had a good outcome after the surgery. That was 16 years ago, almost to the day. I had a very very rare cancer, and there was not a big body of research for my doctors to refer to. I am lucky, very lucky, and I hope you are too. I think you will be. Doctors can do so much now with the knowledge and technology they have on their side. May god be with you.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    It is very scary. My stepmom is going through this right now (breast). She has her surgery next week. We know for sure that she'll need radiation, but not sure on chemo. Honestly, with other people I've known who've went through this (friends, family, members, and coworkers) the worst part is the waiting. Once you have all the information on what stage it is, what treatment you'll need, where the treatment will happen, and what you can do to prevent things in the future, it's easier to deal with it because you have to tools to do so. The not knowing what's going to happen stresses you out worse. Once you have a plan, it'll feel like things are moving forward. I think it's completely natural for you to feel scared and maybe even a bit lost (especially with the waiting) and forums like these are great for getting positive vibes when you're going through something like this. It's almost like being in an anonymous support group. I have no doubt that you will get through this and I bet you will be a stronger person for it. Sounds like you have guts, and the right mind set is such an aid in tough situations. But the world is also full of support and forums like these are a great way to tap into that. So don't forget that even if you don't know all the people on here personally, we're here for you. :smooched:
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry (((HUGS))) I will keep you in my prayers! You will beat this just keep repeating what the Dr. told you you will make it!
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    You totally can kick cancer. Think of it as just a sand trap. Head down and swing away, my man. We are your gallery and here for you. Much love and get well soon. :heart:
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing - stay strong.
  • treesaaaaap
    treesaaaaap Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck. Stay strong!
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Fight the good fight and stay strong.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for the news you've received. A friend of mine went through treatment for throat cancer and it is in remission. He blogged about his treatment and experiences here if you ever feel like checking it out: http://ra-1life2live.blogspot.ca/ There are also some good resources linked there for online community.
  • coffee4me57
    coffee4me57 Posts: 195
    Options
    I am sorry that you are going through this. Stay strong.
    I am praying for you, your family, and your medical team.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. It is so hard to wrap your mind around something like this happening to someone your age and in good health. But I agree with everyone that you have the right outlook on this, and I'm sure the fact that you are otherwise healthy and in great shape will work to your advantage as you fight this. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Your story is important for a couple of reasons:

1. Most men under 40 don't ever feel they need to go get a check up by a doctor if they think they are healthy.

2. Cancer can hit at any age, but protocols for care are much better.

Working in a Wellness Clinic with our PT and fitness department well versed in working with members recovering from cancer (especially since we are accredited by the American College of Surgeons' Commission on Cancer since 1992), I will tell you that it's tough, but doable. One of my best clients lost over 90lbs after medications from steroids and is now in the best shape of his entire life. He still has some tough days, but no where compared to when he was depressed, overweight and mad at the world.
    Stay positive. Look for the good. And if you need any fitness or exercise advice, feel free to pm me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story with us. I did read it all, some of it I even read twice. Praying for you and your family.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you have family and friends there for you during this time, who will go through each step with you. You'll need them for mental support as well as physical. But, sometimes the surprise well-wishes are those that come from others outside of your family circle... and you've got a strong core of strangers rooting for you and sending well wishes and good thoughts your way. :flowerforyou:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    If the doctor says you'll be ok, and you're ready to fight, I think that's a good sign.

Thanks for being brave and sharing your story. I can only imagine what it must feel like to receive news like that.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    {{{hugs}}}
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Prayers and well wishes being sent out to you. Yes, I read your story. I hope sharing it with others will help you deal with all that is in your future. As a society we will never understand why some people do everything right and still get cancer while others take all the risks and never have a scare with it. It doesn't seem right. Be strong and fight with all you have. :flowerforyou: Keep us posted with your progress.
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    Stay strong, you're in my thoughts!
  • AlliBarlik
    AlliBarlik Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "What Cancer Cannot Do"

Cancer is so limited...
    It cannot cripple love.
    It cannot shatter hope.
    It cannot corrode faith.
    It cannot eat away peace.
    It cannot destroy confidence.
    It cannot kill friendship.
    It cannot shut out memories.
    It cannot silence courage.
    It cannot reduce eternal life.
    It cannot quench the Spirit.
    This is so true! Thank you for sharing. Stay strong, fight the good fight!! Hang on!!
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Keep fighting, you can beat this!
  • TrishaGuy
    TrishaGuy Posts: 63
    Options
    Saying prayers for you to be armed with courage and find peace it knowing you are being covered in prayer and love. You can do this ....you are not alone <3.