Soooo....I Have Cancer

Options

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you can use this place to vent and share your story and the rollercoaster you're on.

I almost didn't look at this thread because it's a very painful subject to me. Cancer effing sucks. I can't even put into words how much. Fight it. Don't let it win. Fight it with all you've got.
  • James1935
    James1935 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My prayers are with you - stay stong!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. (Psalms 112:7)

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Statisically you have an absolutely amazing chance of a full recovery due to your age alone. Keep us posted and best wishes.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I remember when I got diagnosed with cancer. It puts you in a state of shock, and things start happening so fast. It is unreal to find yourself suddenly dealing with doctors, hospitals, treatments, and so much uncertainty. But LOTS of people survive cancer. Stay focused on doing whatever it takes to get well!

Cancer was the catalyst for me to totally alter my lifestyle, and put seeking good health at the top of my priority list. Since the diagnosis, about two years ago, I have lost 187 pounds -- yes, that is not a typo! I have lost one hundred and eighty seven pounds, by altering my lifestyle. Here is a link to my blog post about the dietary changes I made:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AuntieMC

There are a lot of online support groups. I have heard that one called Immerman Angels matches newly diagnosed patients with people of the same age/gender who have already ben through treatment, for support. You can google it for more information. There are also support forums out there. Try googling "support forum" and list your type of cancer in google with it. You should find something.

There are a lot of great books out there. I especially like "Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life" by David Servan-Schreiber", and "Cancer:Fifty Essential Things to Do", by Greg Anderson, and "You can Beat Cancer" by Ian Gawler. Two other inspirational books are "From Incurable to Incredible" by Tami Boehmer, and "I Beat Cancer: Fifty People Tell You How They Did It". Once you start searching for these books on Amazon, lots of other books on the subject will also pop up.

Best Wishes to you! You are not alone!
  • hodie23
    hodie23 Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you have cancer. The only way I know to try to handle scary , life changing events is to hold on to my faith in God. He is the only way I can be strong. Whether you believe in God or not, I will continue to keep you in my prayers, that when you are going into surgery you will feel the presence of God. Feel free to keep all of us at MFP up to date with your progress. Take Care.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    praying for you
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Cancer (and any other life threatening diseases) knows no age, gender and body type which is why I believe that time is gold and that we should never take everything for granted. I'm not a religious type but I believe that we should be always ready "just in case". Like others have said, stay positive and strong. I know you can do it.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    So sorry to hear. Sending you thoughts and prayers...
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    Good luck and many prayers for you and your family.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Praying for you as well. My Dad had throat cancer and is doing well seven years later. KNOW that you can beat this thing! Hang in there! Will definitely be praying for you.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I have been an RN for 15 years with most of that being surcical recovery. I have seen people of all ages, all ethnic groups, all economic groups be diagnosed with some form of Cancer. I lost my mother to ovarian cancer 5 years ago.
    So I am going to tell you to expect the worst. Yes you will have a feeding tube for a while, or they could decide to feed your through your veins. Yes you will be on a ventalator for a while until swelling subsides, or you may get a trachostomy. Yes you will feel like you want to die but get over it. Your attitude towards this fight is fundamental in your recovery. Ask questions of your surgeon, ask him anything you need to know. It is his JOB to inform you of whats going to happen. And trust me he wont care if you ask him, he wont be pissed. Talk to your wife now, tell her what you want done in the event something happens. She will be scared to death for you and trust me its a hard conversation to have but very important dont leave her not knowing. Check on the basic things like life insurance and copies of wills, and if you dont have these get them now.
    Next is get your relationship with God right. He never leaves you, he will stay by your side until the end.
    So I will be praying for you, and expecting you to do your part.
    May God bless and keep you safe
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I will keep you, your family and your medical team in my prayers.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Cancer isn't a death sentence. It won't be an easy fight but most of it is mental. It is absolutely imperative that you stay positive and I know this is easier said than done. Everyone I know has beaten cancer because they refused to let negative thoughts invade their minds. Even in their darkest moments, they could see life with a 3/4 full glass! You CAN fight the winning fight.
  • GrandMaKandy
    GrandMaKandy Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You have shown great strength by just sharing your story, that same strength will carry you through. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your loved one's .
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you have this trial to face. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us...I'm sure it wasn't easy. News like this puts a totally different perspective on life, doesn't it? Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way. May you and your family have the strength you need to go through the days ahead. Love will carry you through it all. Please keep us all posted on your surgery, recovery, and treatment, if you feel so inspired. We'll be waiting right here for you.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have been an RN for 15 years with most of that being surcical recovery. I have seen people of all ages, all ethnic groups, all economic groups be diagnosed with some form of Cancer. I lost my mother to ovarian cancer 5 years ago.
    So I am going to tell you to expect the worst. Yes you will have a feeding tube for a while, or they could decide to feed your through your veins. Yes you will be on a ventalator for a while until swelling subsides, or you may get a trachostomy. Yes you will feel like you want to die but get over it. Your attitude towards this fight is fundamental in your recovery. Ask questions of your surgeon, ask him anything you need to know. It is his JOB to inform you of whats going to happen. And trust me he wont care if you ask him, he wont be pissed. Talk to your wife now, tell her what you want done in the event something happens. She will be scared to death for you and trust me its a hard conversation to have but very important dont leave her not knowing. Check on the badic things like life insurance and copies wills, and if you dont have these get them now.
    Next is get your relationship with God right. He never leaves you, he will stay by your side until the end.
    So I will be praying for you, and expecting you to do your part.
    May God bless and keep you safe

I am glad an RN in surgical recovery took the time to add this information, and she makes some excellent points, but I want to add my two-cents worth -- PREPARE for the worst, but EXPECT the best! Surgical recovery might not be any fun, but it is temporary. Expect the best possible long-term outcome, though. Positive Thinking all the way!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing something so personal. Sending you lots of positivity and prayers.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry :(
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You've already done a very good thing by going to the doctor every time something wasn't right, which gives you the very best chance of beating this thing.