High vs. Low carbs

Since I started eating clean and watching macros (I don't count every meal), I have limited the carbs I eat in terms of pastas, whit breads, etc. I weight train every day and do cardio. However I've seen little change in my body fat on my stomach. Recently I've been eating a "carb load" in the morning with my usual breakfast and limiting them for the rest of the day and am seeing slight improvement. Any advice on eating higher or lower carbs to cut body fat?

Replies

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Please continue high carb, why eat fat to lose fat? It's absurd. Keep sticking to your carb load because you'll need the energy throughout the day no matter what you're doing to get it done.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    if you want to cut body fat you need to be in a calorie deficit. Timing of carbs has nothing to do with it
  • OMP33
    Eat around 2k calories a day and burn off 500 of it. You'll see results.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    OMP33 wrote: »

That is too general to be applied to everyone.
  • ndj1979

how do you know that without knowing OP's stats??????
  • OMP33
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Basic calories in vs. calories out buddy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    here we go again with the woo :s
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited February 2016
    ]

that is NOT going to work for everyone. you need to stop posting such misinformation and or vague advice
  • motivatekait
    motivatekait Posts: 90 Member
    I'd recommend being really strict with your calorie and macro counting for at least a few days to get a good grasp on how much you should be eating. I know counting can be really tedious, but even doing it for a short period of time will help you make more educated decisions throughout the day. If you still don't see results in a couple weeks, you may want to try logging more consistently.

While cutting carbs works great short term if you want to get rid of bloating for an event or something, it's usually not a sustainable weight loss. Good luck!!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member

What you are suggesting will be unhealthy for some people. You need to educate yourself.
  • OMP33
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

that is NOT going to work for everyone. you need to stop posting such misinformation and or vague advice

I'm trying to help. I see people starving themselves with 1000 calories a day. Eat a little more and burn more.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

I'm trying to help. I see people starving themselves with 1000 calories a day. Eat a little more and burn more.

telling someone to eat at 2000 and burn 500 is not helping. not everyone can eat 2000 and not everyone can burn 500 calories either. some people have health issues preventing them from exercise. some people need to eat less without exercise. if you want to help I would suggest what wetcoaster said *educate yourself*
  • OMP33

telling someone to eat at 2000 and burn 500 is not helping. not everyone can eat 2000 and not everyone can burn 500 calories either. some people have health issues preventing them from exercise. some people need to eat less without exercise. if you want to help I would suggest what wetcoaster said *educate yourself*

Just suggesting the daily recommended amount suggested by the FDA.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Please continue high carb, why eat fat to lose fat? It's absurd. Keep sticking to your carb load because you'll need the energy throughout the day no matter what you're doing to get it done.

Because it works for some people for a variety of reasons - control of blood sugar, reduction of carb-induced cravings, satiation caused by fat.

It is a calorie deficit that causes you to lose fat. Your body doesn't care where the calories come from.

My diet has been between 60 & 70% fat for the last 4 months. I've lost 36 lbs - while achieving my primary goal of keeping my blood sugar is in the normal range - a goal that your advice to up the carbs would wreak havoc on.

Exercise works for some people (and is certainly good for everyone), but it is not necessary for weight loss.

Others have already commented on the absurdity of suggesting specific calorie amounts the OP should reach.
  • OMP33
    neohdiver wrote: »

Because it works for some people for a variety of reasons - control of blood sugar, reduction of carb-induced cravings, satiation caused by fat.

It is a calorie deficit that causes you to lose fat. Your body doesn't care where the calories come from.

My diet has been between 60 & 70% fat for the last 4 months. I've lost 36 lbs - while achieving my primary goal of keeping my blood sugar is in the normal range - a goal that your advice to up the carbs would wreak havoc on.

Exercise works for some people (and is certainly good for everyone), but it is not necessary for weight loss.

Others have already commented on the absurdity of suggesting specific calorie amounts the OP should reach.

I'm just trying to look out for the OP and make sure they are eating enough. I'm all about consistency and sustainability when it comes to diets. Low carb diets are not successful in the long run, people only use them to lose weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    well the FDA is lumping everyone into one category. not to mention they allow things to be sold and put on shelves that arent healthy,they dont regulate products, and the 2000 calories is just a estimate. they dont take into acct peoples health,activity level or lack there of and so on.it says they recommend this because you cannot get all your nutrients in if you eat less(per site info) yet its possible to get the nutrients you need on less calories.
  • ndj1979

So you are saying everyone's maintenance level is 2000 calories regardless of gender, age, height, and weight. Is that really what you are saying???
  • OMP33

So you are saying everyone's maintenance level is 2000 calories regardless of gender, age, height, and weight. Is that really what you are saying???

Never said that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    neohdiver wrote: »

I'm just trying to look out for the OP and make sure they are eating enough. I'm all about consistency and sustainability when it comes to diets. Low carb diets are not successful in the long run, people only use them to lose weight.

no, low carb is not for weight loss,you do lose a lot of water weight at first from it,but it helps many people with health issues, those with pcos,insulin resistance,glucose issues,etc can benefit from a low carb diet. it can be sustainable in the long run. there are people here who have done it for years. some people cannot have high amounts of carbs.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Better suggestion: eat 500 calories less than you burn each day. The amounts vary depending on the person's height, current weight, activity level, etc.