High vs. Low carbs

Replies

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    OMP33 wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »
    Please continue high carb, why eat fat to lose fat? It's absurd. Keep sticking to your carb load because you'll need the energy throughout the day no matter what you're doing to get it done.

Because it works for some people for a variety of reasons - control of blood sugar, reduction of carb-induced cravings, satiation caused by fat.

It is a calorie deficit that causes you to lose fat. Your body doesn't care where the calories come from.

My diet has been between 60 & 70% fat for the last 4 months. I've lost 36 lbs - while achieving my primary goal of keeping my blood sugar is in the normal range - a goal that your advice to up the carbs would wreak havoc on.

Exercise works for some people (and is certainly good for everyone), but it is not necessary for weight loss.

Others have already commented on the absurdity of suggesting specific calorie amounts the OP should reach.

I'm just trying to look out for the OP and make sure they are eating enough. I'm all about consistency and sustainability when it comes to diets. Low carb diets are not successful in the long run, people only use them to lose weight.

no, low carb is not for weight loss,you do lose a lot of water weight at first from it,but it helps many people with health issues, those with pcos,insulin resistance,glucose issues,etc can benefit from a low carb diet. it can be sustainable in the long run. there are people here who have done it for years. some people cannot have high amounts of carbs.

Higher fat is more insulin resistant than fruits and vegetables. Its hard to be sustainable in the long term with a HF diet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Since I started eating clean and watching macros (I don't count every meal), I have limited the carbs I eat in terms of pastas, whit breads, etc. I weight train every day and do cardio. However I've seen little change in my body fat on my stomach. Recently I've been eating a "carb load" in the morning with my usual breakfast and limiting them for the rest of the day and am seeing slight improvement. Any advice on eating higher or lower carbs to cut body fat?

The only way to lose body fat is to eat less than you burn.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Just suggesting the daily recommended amount suggested by the FDA.

The FDA is not recommending eating 2000 calorie diet. That is their reference number. Of that number (for someone who is eating that many calories), the rest of the nutrients follow. That's a HUGE difference from suggesting that everyone should eat 2000 calories a day.

"A mathematically simple 2,000 calorie-a-day diet was chosen so that consumers could easily calculate the Daily Values needed for their own diets.

This is the amount of total calories per day that a moderately active adult female (weighing approximately 132 pounds) would need to maintain her weight. However, if you do not fit this description, your caloric needs will vary. It is important, therefore, that you adapt the new food label to make the best choices for your own diet." http://caloriecontrol.org/why-2000-calories/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Eat around 2k calories a day and burn off 500 of it. You'll see results.

how do you know that without knowing OP's stats??????

Basic calories in vs. calories out buddy.

So you are saying everyone's maintenance level is 2000 calories regardless of gender, age, height, and weight. Is that really what you are saying???

Never said that.

then how do you know OP's maintenance level without knowing OP's stats????
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Please continue high carb, why eat fat to lose fat? It's absurd. Keep sticking to your carb load because you'll need the energy throughout the day no matter what you're doing to get it done.

Because it works for some people for a variety of reasons - control of blood sugar, reduction of carb-induced cravings, satiation caused by fat.

It is a calorie deficit that causes you to lose fat. Your body doesn't care where the calories come from.

My diet has been between 60 & 70% fat for the last 4 months. I've lost 36 lbs - while achieving my primary goal of keeping my blood sugar is in the normal range - a goal that your advice to up the carbs would wreak havoc on.

Exercise works for some people (and is certainly good for everyone), but it is not necessary for weight loss.

Others have already commented on the absurdity of suggesting specific calorie amounts the OP should reach.

I'm just trying to look out for the OP and make sure they are eating enough. I'm all about consistency and sustainability when it comes to diets. Low carb diets are not successful in the long run, people only use them to lose weight.

no, low carb is not for weight loss,you do lose a lot of water weight at first from it,but it helps many people with health issues, those with pcos,insulin resistance,glucose issues,etc can benefit from a low carb diet. it can be sustainable in the long run. there are people here who have done it for years. some people cannot have high amounts of carbs.

Higher fat is more insulin resistant than fruits and vegetables. Its hard to be sustainable in the long term with a HF diet.

ok show me a link proving this, like I said many people are on low carb and high fat and have to eat that way to keep their conditions in check. doesnt mean they will have to eat like this the rest of their lives but for some they may have to. im one who cant have a lot of carbs. I dont eat low carb,but I have to watch my carbs because it jacks up my cholesterol
  • neohdiver

You might want to stop typing and do some research.

People do not use low carb diets only to lose weight. Even people who use them to lose weight also use them to maintain weight.

Sustaining weight loss is challenging. Using a low carb diet for maintenance is no more challenging than sustaining your weight loss any other way.

In addition, low carb diets are used to manage diabetes, epilepsy, and obesity - none of which are short term problems.

So making a blanket statement that low carb diets are not successful in the long run, and that people only use them to lose weight, is irresponsibly inaccurately.
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016

ok show me a link proving this, like I said many people are on low carb and high fat and have to eat that way to keep their conditions in check. doesnt mean they will have to eat like this the rest of their lives but for some they may have to. im one who cant have a lot of carbs. I dont eat low carb,but I have to watch my carbs because it jacks up my cholesterol

Carbs jack up Cholesterol? Do you associate carbs with chips, ice cream, cookies, and just food? Those are all high fat foods! When I'm talking about carbs, I mean grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and starches! All those foods have close to 0 cholesterol, many have none. Meat on the other hand and other fatty foods, are wayyyy high in Chol.
  • neohdiver

To the extent fat is associated with insulin resistance, it is body fat, not dietary fat. Do some research, please, and stop spouting nonsense.

(Not to mention that there are serious questions about whether body fat causes insulin resistance, or insulin resistance is a trigger for an inability to control weight/body fat.)

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

Carbs jack up Cholesterol? Do you associate carbs with chips, ice cream, cookies, and just food? Those are all high fat foods! When I'm talking about carbs, I mean grains, vegetables, fruits, legumes, and starches! All those foods have close to 0 cholesterol, many have none. Meat on the other hand and other fatty foods, are wayyyy high in Chol.

no,I mean healthy carbs. if I eat more than 250 it messes with my cholesterol. and when i went lower carb my numbers improved and my levels went down over half of what they were. I barely ever eat chips,ice cream and cookies. I even went on a meat free and low cholesterol diet and it didnt do squat for me. I avoided everything it told me to and my cholesterol never changed. so yes,for me high carbs of even the "healthy" foods cause me issues
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited February 2016
    OP...there's also this whole middle ground to consider...doesn't have to be high or low...not everything has to be extremes. In fact, most things in life lie somewhere in the middle.
  • OMP33

no,I mean healthy carbs. if I eat more than 250 it messes with my cholesterol. and when i went lower carb my numbers improved and my levels went down over half of what they were. I barely ever eat chips,ice cream and cookies. I even went on a meat free and low cholesterol diet and it didnt do squat for me. I avoided everything it told me to and my cholesterol never changed. so yes,for me high carbs of even the "healthy" foods cause me issues

Oh, that seems to be strange haha. But what suits you, suits you.
  • meggic
    meggic Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2016

This is a great example of being severely misinformed about how fat acts in regards to nutrition. You ABSOLUTELY have to eat fat to lose fat. Fat that you eat doesn't turn into body fat.... Carbs do! There are thousands of studies and evidence to prove this. Processed carbs spike glucose levels, and then what is not used (most of it) is immediately stored as fat. Why do you think you love carbs so much? Because it's actually a sugar addiction. This is why we all are struggling...

It's not your fault though. The media and government is constantly giving you terrible advice and trying to trick us into eating more grains and sugar for their own gains. You're an example of a success of theirs.

https://www.ketovangelist.com/category/ketogenic_studies/

Also you don't understand how cholesterol works either. Cholesterol issues happen when you eat constant processed carbs (bread, pasta, etc) in conjunction with high fat. It's not the fatty meats that are the problem, it's the breads. These create a constant state of inflammation in your body with wreaks havoc on your health.

I eat super fatty cuts of meat every day and I have great cholesterol levels. What I don't eat, is processed carbs or sugar.
  • OMP33
    meggic wrote: »

This is a great example of being severely misinformed about how fat acts in regards to nutrition. You ABSOLUTELY have to eat fat to lose fat. Fat that you eat doesn't turn into body fat.... Carbs do! There are thousands of studies and evidence to prove this. Processed carbs spike glucose levels, and then what is not used (most of it) is immediately stored as fat. Why do you think you love carbs so much? Because it's actually a sugar addiction. This is why we all are struggling...

It's not your fault though. The media and government is constantly giving you terrible advice and trying to trick us into eating more grains and sugar for their own gains. You're an example of a success of theirs.

https://www.ketovangelist.com/category/ketogenic_studies/

Oh yeah, I should definitely stop eating my grains, vegetables, legumes, starches and fruit and switch to meat, dairy, eggs, and other highly saturated fat foods! Nah I'll stick to my high carb and continue to weigh 153 lbs and have the energy to bike 1+ hours everyday.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    carbs are the best source of energy and they burn off quick! high carb low fat all the way :D
  • neohdiver

The most recent research calls into question the assumption that dietary cholesterol is directly related to serum cholesterol. Since you suggest you are repeatedly posting "facts" here to protect the OP, you should do some research to ensure your "facts" are correct.

As to the relation between carbs and cholesterol, there is growing evidence that low carb increases good cholesterol and decreases bad cholesterol.:

"Low-carbohydrate weight loss diets have an edge over low-fat diets for improving HDL cholesterol levels long term, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health.

Dieters who followed low-carb or low-fat plans for two years along with a lifestyle modification program lost the same amount of weight -- on average about 7% of their body weight or 15 pounds.

But throughout the two-year study, low-carbohydrate dieters had significantly increased HDL, or "good," cholesterol levels compared to low-fat dieters." http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term

"The low-carb diet was most beneficial for lowering triglycerides, the main fat-carrying particle in the bloodstream, and also delivered the biggest boost in protective HDL cholesterol.

. . .

Research shows that a moderately low-carbohydrate diet can help the heart, as long as protein and fat selections come from healthy sources."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/
  • OMP33
    carbs are the best source of energy and they burn off quick! high carb low fat all the way :D

Thank you!! Finally I see a person who understands HCLF, I haven't seen one yet besides you!
  • meggic
    meggic Posts: 14 Member
    @OMP33
    We don't have to keep arguing. If you're happy with your lifestyle that is great. However, as others have said, do some research before you start spreading advice that can actually kill them.

This is a fun movie to watch, and it's funny yet informative. It's a good place to start.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    @OMP33
    We don't have to keep arguing. If you're happy with your lifestyle that is great. However, as others have said, do some research before you start spreading advice that can actually kill them.

This is a fun movie to watch, and it's funny yet informative. It's a good place to start.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879

You're the one spreading misinformation! Go watch Forks over Knives! A whole food-plant based diet is the healthiest one to live! If you really think eating butter and saturated fat foods is GOOD for you, then you really need a reality check. Open your diary and let's see what you're eating. Here's some links for you..

Meat Hormones & Female Infertility
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-hormones-female-infertility/
    Why is Meat a Risk Factor for Diabetes?
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/why-is-meat-a-risk-factor-for-diabetes/
    Meat and Weight Gain in the PANACEA Study
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/meat-and-weight-gain-in-the-panacea-study/
    What are the Healthiest Foods?
    http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-are-the-healthiest-foods/
  • neohdiver
    Nah I'll stick to my high carb and continue to weigh 153 lbs and have the energy to bike 1+ hours everyday.

Google low carb athletes.

Thank you!! Finally I see a person who understands HCLF, I haven't seen one yet besides you!

I've only seen one person in this thread that has said HCLF doesn't work. No one else is making blanket statements about HCLF diets.

You, in contrast, have been making blanket statements about LC diets, a diet your comments demonstrate you know nothing about. We have been correcting those false statements about as fast as you can make them.

Aside from one person in this thread, you have no basis to decide whether any of the rest of us understand HCLF or not, or whether we believe it is appropriate for some people.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited February 2016
    This is a great example of being severely misinformed about how fat acts in regards to nutrition. You ABSOLUTELY have to eat fat to lose fat. Fat that you eat doesn't turn into body fat.... Carbs do!

That's incorrect. While an excess of carbs (or proteins) can indeed form body fat, dietary fat can also be stored as body fat as well. Your body has no way of knowing or caring whether a fatty acid molecule came across the intestinal wall or was manufactured by your body from carbohydrates or amino acids. It can manufacture triglycerides from either source.

A caloric surplus leads to an accumulation of body fat, regardless of what types of macronutrients that surplus comes from.