Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013

Replies

• Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Good Afternoon Ladies :flowerforyou:
    I hope everyone has a wonderful fun filled weekend :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
    Been reading just busy-which is good I hope.

Molly in sunny WV
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Wanted to share a couple of photos from my yard this morning :flowerforyou:

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

Lovely.

My garden peaked in May-June. Working at balancing blooms through October. To this end, my aclepsis bloomed this year and as soon as that piece and the monarda makes a nice clump then I will have something to work with. Cannot seem to keep cornflowers around form more than single season.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy sat!!Starting to get warm again,80`s and 90`s.
    Tomorrow is alliyah`s christeing.Getting ready for it.
    Had a nice visit with son no 3 and a dinner date with oldest son to a 50`s diner.
    Have a good week-end all!
    HUGS
    jane
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Good afternoon friends,

I gave up on trying to catch up on all the posts. I am starting at page 18 and going from there. You guys are just too chatty! I appreciate the feedback from my question. I know I have an obsessive personality and if something comes into my head (like the sodium issue), it’s hard to let it go. I’m not sure if it would be better for me to take the sodium off my diary so I don’t have to see it every day, or keep working on it. I don’t like to give up on things just because they’re hard, and I AM stubborn! Did you ever start a book and find you just couldn’t get into it? Well, I have. I can’t just give it up and go on to another book until I finish the one I started. Is that crazy? am going to try to bring things to work (lunch is usually my biggest problem) that I make from scratch (like chicken salad), but I am also going to TRY and stop obsessing about it. Wish me luck!

Yesterday my thighs were SO SORE! I’m not sure if it’s from the running or the lunges, but I really earned my rest days this week!

My girlfriend is selling jewelry and I am having a party for her in the next few weeks to help her start her business. I’m not one to do that. I had a Pampered Chef party when I first moved into my house, but that’s about it. Jewelry is not really “my thing” and I hate to make my friends feel obligated to buy something, but in the spirit of helping a friend, I’ve agreed to host it. I’m baking banana bread now, which I’ll freeze for the party.

They are calling for HOT HOT HOT weather this week! We had so much rain, and now, here comes the heat! I’m off on Friday, and if it remains hot, I’m planning on a beach day with my girlfriend who lives near Dover and is closer to the beaches. I’ll stay over her house on Friday night so we don’t have to worry about getting home early. I got a cute new suit and can’t wait to wear it!

:wink: Tere – I listen to “Preston & Steve” in the mornings when I walk on the TM. They make me laugh! I want to take my MP3 player with me now that I’m running outside, but I always seem to forget it! Guess I’m not totally awake at 6am. My music tends to lean towards rock, but I like almost all kinds of music (except Country….sorry Country lovers, rap and opera). I do love Jimmy Buffet, and my DH always kids me that he sounds pretty country to him!

:happy: Meg – Those flip flops are SO cute! I am definitely a shoe person and have WAY too many shoes and flip flops! I love summer because there is so much variety in styles and colors. It’s so funny that you should mention ANTS! We are having a problem with ants at work. They are all over the desks and countertops in our office. We have tried sprays, but they don’t seem to work. We’ve had them before, but this year seems to be the worst. Jazz on the Green sounds like fun! We have outdoor concerts in the parks in Delaware. We bring a cooler with some food and our beach chairs and love sitting under the stars enjoying the music with friends.

:flowerforyou: Barbie - Missed your lavender picture as I started reading after you posted it, but I LOVE lavender! It’s my favorite scent. I always planted it when I lived in Philly, but for some reason, never tried it in Delaware. I’m going to have to get some for next year.

:wink: Janie – Congrats on your NSV! Feeling good about yourself is the best way to keep on track! Keep your head up and keep a positive attitude. Something will come along when you least expect it.

:heart: Amanda – You are such a great daughter! I am so sorry that you don’t have any help from your siblings. It must hurt to know that they care so little about your father AND you. Take care of yourself and don’t try and overdo after surgery. It will just set you back. I know you want to be there for your dad, but your health is important too. Just read that your DD is coming in from Germany to help and your DH also is helping out. Now you can rest easy and concentrate on getting well.

:tongue: Heather – Don’t think we have blackcurrants here in the US, but the pudding sounds wonderful! You hit the nail on the head. I DO worry too much about something that so far, has not caused me problems.

:heart: Brooke – Thank you so much for your kind words. I try to tell myself daily that it’s about progress and not perfection. I am so sorry you are feeling down, but don’t despair. I was in a bad marriage for 31 years and finally got the courage to get out. I thought it was too late for me (I was 50 at the time), but, at 55 years old, I met the man of my dreams, and at 60, I am now married to him, living in my dream home, and the happiest I have ever been. I have a plaque on my wall that says “It’s never too late to live happily ever after”, and it is so true! Sure, there are some things that are out of your control, but you are here and taking steps to get your health back on track. I know you can find the happiness you deserve. You are worth it!

:smile: Alison – Have you gone to a podiatrist for your heel? It seems like you’ve been having pain for a long time now and I can’t believe there isn’t a solution. I just read that you made an appointment with your podiatrist. Let us know how you make out.

:grumble: Katla – I do not have health issues associated with the sodium. In fact, since losing weight, everything (blood pressure, blood work, etc.) has been excellent. I just really hate seeing those high numbers when I log.

:huh: Eileen – Are you allowed cell phones and/or computers in the jury room? We aren’t allowed to bring anything that is electronic in with us. In fact, I have jury duty coming up, and have to call to find out if I’m allowed to bring my Nook.

:flowerforyou: Robin – Congrats on the new position and WHOO HOOT on leaving the “mean boss” behind!

:sick: Joyce – I sure hope those headaches go away. I know how debilitating it can be to live with headaches all the time. Aleve seem to work for me on body aches, but Tylenol seems to work best when I have a headache. Maybe you should see your doctor. You might need something stronger.

:smile: M – Thanks for the advice. I know you’re right. I plan on making more “homemade” foods for lunch from now on, so I’ll see how that works out.

:flowerforyou: Jodios – What a fabulous NSV!!!

:wink: Kat – I’m not too far from you. I live in North Delaware, but it’s much more populated here. I come from Philly, so I’m a city girl at heart. I just got back from visiting with my kids (son, daughter & granddaughter) who all live in Somerset, PA. It’s VERY rural there, and although it’s beautiful, it’s just not for me. I hear you on cooking and freezing, and I’m going to try to incorporate more low-sodium dishes in my daily diet. Congrats on your tremendous dedication and amazing weight loss!

:happy: Topskaren – Congrats on meeting your goal weight and welcome to maintenance!

:ohwell: DeeDee –Looks like you’re having a rough week! Take care and hopefully things will look up next week! Drink lots of water to help flush those water weight pounds away.

:happy: Deb – Don’t you just love it when you get an unexpected chance to remodel? It’s always more fun to burn calories when doing something fun with friends. Kayaking is such fun!

:laugh: Sandy – Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to try some of them. I also work in a small office, and if it weren’t for the running I do in the mornings, I would hardly get in any steps at all. I am usually the last one out of my office, and when everyone else leaves, I also walk back and forth to get in more steps. I thought I was the only one!

:laugh: Pat – You are NOT weird, and if you are, I’m right there with ya! I need to chew my food. It’s not that I don’t LIKE shakes. It’s just that I don’t find them satisfying. I also agree that safety comes first! I wouldn’t feel safe driving alone on back roads either. There is no bigger weenie than me!

:flowerforyou: Janemartin – Congrats to your DH on getting his master’s in business. New beginnings are always exciting.

:ohwell: Mamby – Patience is key at our age. If you are accurate with your logging, the weight will eventually come off.

:heart: Liz – It must be so hard to watch your sister going through that. My sister has multiple myeloma, and although she is currently in remission, any time we spend together is even more precious.

:flowerforyou: Jb – I am so jealous of your beautiful garden! Mine is looking pretty crappy this year. The soil here isn’t so great (lots of clay), and I haven’t been real successful, although I sure try! This year has been the worst. Too much rain! Even though my tomatoes are growing out of control, the leaves of the zucchini are flat on the ground as everything is sagging and soggy. Plus, we’ve had problems with rabbits eating the vegetable plant leaves. Even my basil is falling over. My poor DH is about to give up! We didn’t have these problems last year.

We are a very encouraging group of women who always welcome newcomers. Please feel free to share and/or vent. We will always offer support!

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE.:bigsmile:
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Lucy, We were able to bring cell phones and computers. In fact, they have a side room for people who want to plug things in. I'm sure if you are in a courtroom it all has to be off, but not in the jury lounge. All in all, it's boring, but CA has a one trial or one day policy so I can't be called back until next year now.

Eileen
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    PAT - All of us seem to have times of great frustration over this weight loss stuff. When I read that others are struggling, too, it really does help me through the day. I am probably gaining weight while I am doing this house-cat sitting gig, but I am still posting, still trying, still thinking about the program. That is all a very positive thing for me because usually with the first half-pound gain, I would have thrown up my hands, declared myself a total and complete failure and headed for Pizza Hut. Thank you, my friends, for being here to give me strength, inspiration and hope!
    I cannot agree more with what you’ve written!

Joyce, Indiana – I am so sorry you are in pain – do get to the doctor as soon as you can. Nothing is more debilitating than pain. Also, thank you for sharing about your sister. It reminded me that I am lucky to still be here being rejected by principals:tongue: Did she have a party at 5 years cancer-free? I did. Ovarian cancer, stage one, phase borderline, only needed surgery, but those 5 years watching numbers, waiting, trying not to worry. It’s been over 10 years now for me, I am lucky.

Kay, GA & Pat – thanks for the understanding and insights, I will keep subbing since I love the kids. My time will come.

:bigsmile: What a wonderful group - thank you all again :bigsmile:
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    bump...
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Hello beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I'm not as grumpy as I was this morning:bigsmile: ! Spending a bit of time with some friends brightened up this gray dreary day for me!

LizPlus:smile: Glad you're getting to spend some time with your sister! Hope you're feeling better:flowerforyou: !

Jb:smile: Gorgeous pics!!!! I love flowers and yours are just lovely:love: , thanks for sharing them!!!

Robin:smile: I'm so happy for you!!!! Congrats on getting away for that person!!!

Brooke:smile: I have a friend who is an astrologist and yes something is in retrograde for me at the moment:sad: , I think I have a few more months of it:angry: ! I'll just have to learn to swim upstream I guess:laugh: .

Lucy:smile: I've been having a problem with ants getting in my house this year :angry: , I'm wondering if it's from all the rain we've been having. They like Noels dog food:grumble: . One thing that works...if you can find where they're coming in, stop it up with with a little slice of garlic, it works well.

Have a wonderful evening!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in still soggy, dreary NC
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    jb - beautiful pictures of your lovely garden...inspired me to get outside and work on some of my flowers:flowerforyou:

Terri, from sunny Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    I know it doesn't stop the trail of the rest of the bug family but whenever I see any kind of bug, including an ant I spray them with all purpose cleaner. It zaps them dead quicker than you can blink an eye.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    This morning DH and I went out to breakfast at a new place. The food was good and so was the service, so a great experience.

Just got back from a 30-minute walk, but am just feeling tired today, so that's it for me. I did clean house already, though, so at least I didn't sit the whole day.

Tomorrow we celebrate DS#2's 35th birthday - where does the time go?

I haven't been posting much, but want to say welcome to all the newcomers, hello to all the regulars (and lurkers!), hugs for those having a tough time with work, relationships and loved ones. And those of you in the hospital (and you know who you are), take care of yourself!

I found a 'Limelight' hydrangea at Lowe's today -- the flowers are supposed to be lime green, and it is loaded with buds so I'll know soon enough. A shrub to the right of our garage died off a couple of years ago and that is where I put it. My neighbor has a blue/purple hydrangea in that area, so the location should be good. I'll be curious to see if the flowers stay lime green or change.

I'm off to the shower and looking forward to non-sweaty clothing -- very humid here in ATL today, but so far no rain.

Gail, metro Atlanta
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    ANTS!!!!!!! To those who are dealing with them, an effective and non-toxic solution is white vinegar. Spray it on the perimeter of the space they're invading. You may have to do it twice (I haven't had to) but it does work And yes, the rain so many of you are dealing with does entice them to go indoors. Hope this helps :glasses:

Brooke from Colorado

“Don’t look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not”
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Whatta day! I took a long walk in the morning, then went to gym, then impromptu trip to a marina with some puppies and moms from puppy playtime. Jackson had his first swim ever, he looked like a 15 pound seal. Each puppy pooped and I would volunteer to run the baggie to the trash bin cause I get credit for steps on my fitbit. LOL, they were laughing at me. But guess who got 25,000 steps today? That’s a new record for me. And something else I realized today... I wasn't the fattest one there!

Lucy in DE: I browsed the pictures in your profile and there is NO WAY you are 60! What is your secret? Congrats on meeting and maintaining your goal!

Pat: never give up! I can get into the throwing up hands mode too… we have to remember we can get back on track anytime, not just tomorrow… right now! Well done keeping things under control!

Janie: Great job staying on track when life starts to get you down. Be good to yourself!

Vicki: I’ve been moving through boxes of old smaller clothes and supplementing as needed. I have had some funny times though, like with shorts falling down cause they were so big. Luckily, no one else is around here to witness those moments.

Katla: hope you feel better soon.

Sue in SD: I had such great results from physical therapy for my knee. The first PT I went to didn’t seem very good and I had a bad feeling about it. So, I switched after just one visit and found a wonderful PT who really helped me.

JB: your garden is awesome!!! The phase 2 plan sounds great!

Brooke: thanks for the white vinegar ant tip! Does it work on other bugs too, or just ants? I want to spray something around the house that won’t hurt my pets.

Bettyjane: I also lived in NYC for a while. Both my sons went to NYU. I actually avoided going to the doctor for years because of the dreaded 250 weight bar.

Heather UK: I’m probably a lot shorter than you, us shorties can’t eat as many calories… at least this one can’t.

Joyce: that’s one of the best stories about why you bought a Snickers! LOL

Juanita: congrats on losing the half pound, moving in the right direction is a great accomplishment!

Terri: glad to read that your cankles are gone!

Yanniejannie: LOL, I have seen the chicken diapers. I cannot even begin to imagine a full size chicken walking around in the house!

I’m exhausted. I’m going to take a shower and plotz!

Kat (proudly wearing her new 25,000 step badge) from Maryland
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Today hasn't been a good day for me. I am struggling in every way. It's too hot and I overheat very easily, my face goes red and I get heat stroke easily.

I woke up with another migraine but today was weigh in day and our final weigh in the challenge with my DD. I gained 1 lb and was so disappointed. My DD won this 12 week challenge (I won the first one), she lost the higher percentage of weight in the 12 weeks. So off we went to get a new charm for her charm bracelet (our reward for winning). I also bought myself one for hitting the 50lbs lost mark.

jb - what a gorgeous garden you have, thank you for sharing the pictures

yannie - lake rideau is about 3 hours east of me, it is a beautiful area, I have a friend who has a farm not far from there so I drive up that way a lot.

pat - I am with you, I too have been on antidepressants for many years. Unfortunately because I am very drug sensitive I am unable to take most of the newer medications. I know that my tendencies towards depression come from a rough childhood and two tumultuous (at best) marriages.

I'm going to take a shower and grab my ereader and head to bed...tomorrow has to be better, right?

hope everyone has a great night

Sandy from Ontario :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    1YOYOCAT:flowerforyou: But I logged it! . Eating that Snickers bar earned me a $25 Justice gift card. :smile: I got a total of 4 of them for my purchase. So now I can give them to her or go myself and buy $100 worth of clothes

Joyce, Indiana
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Good evening all!

No time to reply tonight. We have been very busy with our "mini" kitchen remodel. I also had a hair appointment today that took forever! I really feel bad for those in our town who were affected by the flooding. The girl who does my hair has been flooded out of her house and is living in a hotel room with her 4 children and husband. They have lost just about everything. They don't know yet if their house will be condemned or if they will be able to repair it. It makes the devastation that much more real when you know someone affected by it. We talked for a very long time and I now have a better understanding of all they have to deal with.I have offered her help with anything she needs, but am afraid she won't call. I will check in with her again and am thinking about sending them a gift certificate for a local restaurant. If anyone has experienced flooding, do you have any suggestions on how I could help them?

I really need to try to get some sleep. DH decided to get up at 5:30 am and isn't exactly quiet. I have gotten into the habit of staying up too late, but still waking up before 6:30. It is taking a toll on me, so off to bed I go!

Good night all!!

Deb in CNY
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hey all. Well we didn’t get to the theater tonight; DD#2 had to work and we drive her, and of course she worked 5:30-8 so that was right in between shows. We ended up going to a couple of new bar and grill places that were very nice. We played pool at one…DH used to be a pool hustler “back in the day” when he was in his 20s so he’s pretty good. After a couple of drinks I sank some shots that left him with his mouth open. I was proud of my choice…a burger and a salad with dressing on the side. I had 5 of his fries. Previously I would have gotten the fried mushrooms and the nachos!

Grandmallie I sure hope your heel is better. DH has a heel spur right now. He did a round of steroids then a round of non-steroidals and it’s a little better. He refuses a cortisone shot (I would too) and the doc wants to do surgery, but after his last foot surgery I doubt he will go for that.

Kat: wow your weight loss is impressive!!! Where in Omaha does your dad live? We are actually in Papillion which is just south of the city.

Joyce: please feel better soon. When my kids were little they LOVED Justice!

Yanniejannie: Maybe you should get pest service LOL

Katla: you have a headache too? Seems like they are going around. I hope you feel lots better soon!

Janie: that sucks about the reference letter. I’d not use it and say the principle was not able to observe me! I had a part time teaching job which was my first one and the college begged me to teach because they were short. So I taught for them for two semesters, asked for a letter of reference, didn’t get one; asked for a full time job and was told I didn’t have a PhD so no way unless I started their PhD program right then and I could be a lab assistant which was a demotion! Sending you hugs!!!!!

Terri: glad your feet/ankles are better!

Juanita : congrats on the weight loss!!!

Wanda: wow a hyster 11 days ago? Take care of yourself!

Brooke: I can empathize with you. I totally lost myself in my first marriage and was depressed to a depth I didn’t realize was possible. I threw myself into work which has come back to haunt me at times because I work so much now. I’m trying to cut
    back. Sending you lots of hugs!!!

Eileen: I bet you looked lovely painting and sweating in the shed!

Viv: sending you lots of virtual willpower!

Heather: you are right…90s is “properly hot”!

DeeDee: sending you best wishes to feel more like your usual self

Bettyjane: welcome!

Linda: wow that is a ton of berries to pick and put up. I admire you! And I’m a little jealous of the jam!

JB: cheering you on! Say how far down do you trim the delphinium? I cut some old stalks down and they are hollow. Your garden is magnificent!

Liz: you are not a baaaaaad mfp person! You are just like all of us with our ups and downs! Prayers for your sister

Sue: I love the Black Hills. I’m glad you had a good trip.

Vicki; I see you will be getter a bit cooler coming up. Hang in there!

Robin: time to celebrate!

Jodios: come visit us when you can!

Geri: holy cow that is hot!!!

Kay: we really are a chatty group aren’t we??

Lila: I will be interested in what you do with your kale

Heather: I too am annoyed with mowers and trimmers and the racket they make!

Janemartin: blessings for your granddaughter and her christening tomorrow!

Lucy: we have outdoor concerts in nearly every park and every shopping mall in town. I love the summer concert season. There
    are also several places that show outdoor movies during the summer. Those are fun too. Stay cool up there!

Gail: the hydrangea sounds lovely. I hear you are literally swimming down there! Take care in all that rain

Kat: every step counts, every running poop to the trash! Congrats on getting so many steps in. That is amazing!

Sandy: sorry you are struggling right now . That weight will disappear. Hope your headache improves soon!

Deb: sorry to hear about your hairdresser and the flood. Ending good thoughts in your general direction for her and her family!

OK well I have already logged my walk, so I better go do it. It’s already dark but at least it’s cooler now. Take care everyone! Meg from Omaha
  • jmkmomm
    Meg :flowerforyou: I have had several cortisone shots for heel spurs. Yes they hurt like &*^&% but it is just for a split second. The anticipation is worse than the actual shot. My doctor doesn't give a numbing shot before because he feels they hurt just as much as the cortisone. So the numbing medicine is with the cortisone.

I am concerned that these headaches may be tension headaches again and that will involve cortisone in my occipital nerves. That wold be my first cortisone since diagnosed with diabetes. I have enjoyed my blood sugars in the 90s.

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,123 Member
    :flowerforyou: I've read all the posts and cheered and cried with you but no time to reply individually.

:flowerforyou: I worked hard to plan my day to accommodate plenty of dog walking and the squat and plank challenges but will be glad to return to normal in the morning.

:flowerforyou: our house guest was great........we ate at our favorite Mexican restaurant last night and Chinese tonight. I ate a lot of things I don't normally eat and will welcome my regular food tomorrow (except for the doggie bag of nine flavor chicken with brown rice):laugh:

:bigsmile: Kat, you know the secret for getting lots of steps
    accept every opportunity to walk somewhere :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,583 Member
    Good morning all:flowerforyou:
    It always feels slightly weird to be writing to you when most of you are still in bed. I expect Barbie is up walking the dogs:bigsmile:

HOT again today. We have done our exercising and because there was nothing we wanted to listen to on the radio we had a singalong! :laugh: :bigsmile: All the old favourites - "Blowing in the Wind" etc.:tongue: Stangely it encouraged DH to do his PB on the elliptical and I did my PB on the rower. I then nearly equalled my PB on the elliptical! :drinker: Not a bad time on the bike either, so clearly singing is good for you!

Meg - I want you to hold your breath again for me. You achieved miracles last time!:laugh: I am ounces away from healthy BMI.

Kat - wow! 25,000 steps!:flowerforyou: Who would have though being a pooper scooper would be so good for you! :bigsmile:

The only small cloud on my horizon is that I must do something about getting to see my brother and family. I invited them for lunch on two days and had no reply at all, which felt odd. Then he rang and invited us to go on the ferry to the Isle of Wight with them next Tuesday. Unfortunately that's about the only day I can't go. I couldn't get any other commitment out of him. I know they are incredibly busy, so I'm trying not to take it personally, but I haven't seen my DSIL since April. We used to be quite close. They only live in our local city. I think I'm going to have to go over to their house - again. I'm hoping it's not because I have lost weight. It is a bit of a touchy subject with her I know. Probably it's just that life gets so busy for them and I'm imagining things.

Will have a quiet day today. Keeping out of the heat. I have an American film to watch - "The Notorious Betty Paige". A bit racy, but should be fun. A bagel with Philly and smoked salmon for lunch and Hairy Dieters' Spanish Chicken for dinner. (Yes I know Meg, go on, crack up!) :laugh: :laugh: :wink:

Love and hugs to all the pain sufferers. And all those with low spirits. I have had so many long episodes of depression in my life, I used to think that was just how I was. I used to think I ought to charge my dysfunctional parents for all the money I spent on therapy! Since I met DH I have not been depressed, so I know how lucky I am. "There but for . . . ." Hang on in there. It will turn around.

Bye for now, Heather in blazing hot Hampshire UK:flowerforyou: