WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla :flowerforyou: what virus did you have?
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Lovely photos of gardens and painted faces, and fun! Like Lin, I too am having a hard time, there is no way to keep up here!

Today is a truly hot hot summers day, and the pool has hit 80...just the week the grandkiddies are away!

Oh well, jumped in myself and managed an enormous number of laps "cycling" so that the back and legs and arms are in motion...

Hope everyone has a lovely day!

Bj, SWOnt
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies.
    It's another beautiful summer day here and I intend to enjoy all of it, every second.

Geri or Heather - one of you UK ladies mentioned summer pudding awhile ago and I just ran into a recipe for it in one of the magazines I love. I will be trying it this week as I have tons of berries at the moment, that and a berry galette (I'll limit my pastry intake drastically though).

Quite a number of us are holding Michele in our thoughts - hopefully our wishes and prayers work in her situation right now.

Dee - so glad to hear you are out of the grumpies for now (the tiara time probably helped immensely).

I've been doing a regular workout (which you can add segments to as you progress) and I have to admit that my centre section is tightening up and showing improvement. I think it is mostly the floor exercises (but that plank is a killer).

Ok off to take the fur family (except for the cat) to the river for a dip.
    Lila In the Kootenays, BC Canada
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday!

I've been sitting for a few minutes, taking a break from the last 4 hours gardening. Most of it was watering, so I still have plenty of energy left :tongue:

:flowerforyou: Here's a link to my blog where I put up a bunch more photos of the flowers in my yard, take a peek if you'd like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/summer-flower-pics-553766

Off to the river now with the doggies, stopping by the community garden to do some watering there. When I get back I'll be canning a big batch pickled beets. :bigsmile:

:smile: jb in the gorgeous Pacific NW
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, all,

Pat and Gail...........raised Lutheran here too........dad was Methodist, mom was Lutheran........but, oddly, in family research, I'm finding some clues that it may be that both sides may have been Jewish....

Rhonda........welcome, I lurked, but not nearly as long as you!!!

A few days back I mentioned that DH was putting in a l-o-n-g awaited garden storage shed. Well, we were getting the sides up last night and a piece from over the doors slipped and the edge hit me in the forehead, which knocked me to the ground and then both doors proceeded to fall on me, one at a time ( I swear, it was like slow motion ) as he was trying to get out of the shed to see what happened to me----probably looked more like Keystone Cops than anything. Still sore all over and had quite the h/a this am, so dr. visit........slight concussion with contusions to the forehead---no gym, no exercise, until h/a is gone w/o meds. So I'll be spending some time on the couch, taking tylenol, refilling my ice bag, and cheering everybody on for the next few days.........and glaring out the window at that shed.

Take care, everyone,
    yanniejannie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    oh yannie, so sorry to hear you got hurt...but sounds like something I would do...
    can't wait to see what the podiatrist has to say about my heel, this is getting darn annoying...ate under 1000 calories today and I dont care,got a warning saying it will slow my metabolism.. Im not worried will be back in the swing of things tomorrow.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gail, I’ve never seen a limelight hydrangea……will you post a picture when it blooms?

:sad: Amanda, I am sorry to hear that your recovery is not going as quickly as planned. I hope you can rest in the hospital and not lapse into worry about your or your dad.

:flowerforyou: M, if I had your raspberries, I’d probably freeze them to use in shakes and with yogurt and stay away from the temptation to make them into sweet desserts.

:flowerforyou: Par, I don’t digest beef well and every time I eat it and have dire results the next day, I swear I will never have it again……perhaps I learned my lesson this last time….our Golden Retriever was a therapy dog and went for visits to convalescent hospitals. She loved the people and they loved her.

:flowerforyou: Jill, how about freezing your blueberries and adding them to shakes or smoothies or eating them with plain yogurt and don’t worry about using them in" recipes".

:flowerforyou: Rhonda, if you get connected to our friendly community, this might be the winter you don’t gain weight. Make some resolutions and stick to them one day at a time.

:bigsmile: Bj, your time in the pool sounds great.

:flowerforyou: Lila, I have been doing a plank a day for a long time and my mid-section is the better for it.

:cry: Yanniejannie, sorry to hear about your concussion and wishing you a speedy recovery…….two years ago when I injured my knee and the doctor said to rest for a few days, someone told me that they’d have to seatbelt me to the chair to keep me down……I hope you’re better at resting than I am.

:flowerforyou: I have a routine every morning---get up early----walk one dog at a time----read something spiritual----eat my regular breakfast (chocolate Isagenix shake with calcium powder, chocolate almond milk, water, ice, ground flax seed, walnuts)
    walk both dogs for about two hours
    have tea with Jake----some days go to line dance---some days work in the yard or do errands. It helps me to have a routine so I don’t have to spend time thinking about what to do and making decisions.

:heart: Barbie from warm and sunny NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

July Resolutions (with mid-month comments)
    *finish preparing the flower bed in the back yard (making great progress)
    *continue with the squat challenge ( have started a harder challenge)
    * a plank a day (every day)
    *18,000 steps a day (every day

33,000 one day
    *don’t take things personally ( wow, is this a great resolution)
    *don’t expect praise or recognition (this is also a great way to live)
    *keep doing the things that have been working (going great
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. This is just a quick pop in to say I'm thinking of all of you and celebrating all your victories and sending hugs to those who are hurting or struggling. Just a very busy day today but managed to do the elliptical for 20 minutes. Take care and see you tomorrow. Meg
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Barbie, here is a link to a photo of the limelight hydrangea. It turns pink and burgundy in the fall, so I'm excited to see it grow!

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/hydrangea/limelight-hardy-hydrangea-hydrangea-paniculata

Gail
  • julie6294
    julie6294 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    OMG - yours is the most beautiful yard I have ever seen!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Barbie, here is a link to a photo of the limelight hydrangea. It turns pink and burgundy in the fall, so I'm excited to see it grow!

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/hydrangea/limelight-hardy-hydrangea-hydrangea-paniculata

Gail

:flowerforyou: Gail, thanks for the link to the picture.......they look great and I'd rush out to buy one except that we declared a moratorium on buying plants after we spent over a hundred dollars on peonies that we won't get until fall and won't see flowers until May or June :laugh: :laugh:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,886 Member
    Options
    Hello to all. Welcome to newcomers. Sympathy to all who are going through hard times. Congrats to all with successes. I love reading about all of you.

Amanda - Sorry to hear your surgery did not go so well. Please take care of yourself!!

Brooke - We stayed at Palmer Gulch in the Black Hills near Hill City. You can find them online. There is a KOA campground there and they also have a lodge and cabins. We stayed in a cabin while we were there. We have been there on several occasions in the past and always enjoy our time there. They have a shuttle to the evening lighting ceremony at Rushmore and lots of amenities.

drkatiebug - Thanks for the advice. I cannot start PT until August 8 but I will have an awesome therapist who specializes in shoulders. I worked with him before the surgery a few times. I work in rehab at a large local hospital and have excellent contacts for that sort of thing. I am hoping I will also be able to do some water therapy.

My best to all, Sue in SD
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Quick question. What is planking???

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla :flowerforyou: what virus did you have?

I don't know any name other than sinus infection. I had head congestion and vast quantities of green and yellow mucus. When I called the doctor's office the advice nurse said I had a virus and there wasn't any treatment other than the mucinex for the symptoms and time. She said it could last two to three weeks. I wanted antibiotics and she said no. Toward the end I developed a nasty headache right at the top of my head. It has eased away and is nearly gone now.
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Thanks Katla. This headache is different than my normal sinus headaches. I have very little tenderness around my sinuses. And I always get an antibiotic for my sinus infections. I promise to call him tomorrow morning. I'm tired of living on Tylenol and Ambien.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies,
    well praise the lord I finally hit the 40 lb mark....I knew it would come eventually ..just so slow.. this whole week will be in the mid 90's with no rain.. not good for the plants and really not good for the grass we have burnt spots all over.
    well it has been a week without the gym, and wont be going today either:grumble:
    my left foot is swollen and my shoulders and arms are sore from hauling boxes at my father's.. the heat index today will be 105
    I will be calling elder abuse this morning and filling them in on what my FIL sister did not and send them pictures of my FIL arm..
    now that there is an open investigation this should help things along..
    will try and bring low sodium stuff to work.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Amanda:smile: Hope that infection clears up soon:flowerforyou: ! I`m glad you`re listening to your Dr. and staying put until it`s better!

Katla:smile: I`m really surprised the Dr. wouldn`t give you antibiotics for the sinus infection, green and yellow mucus is definitely a sign of an infection:grumble: ! Glad you`re feeling better, I know that had to be really painful:sick: !!!

Joyce:smile: I`m glad you`re going to call the Dr. and find out about that headache! Sounds very painful:sick: . I get migraines from time to time, but they`re usually gone in a day or two.

Barbie:smile: Peonies are one of my favorite flowers. I almost bought a peony bush at the garden store, now I wish I had:ohwell: .

Grandmallie:smile: Congrats on hitting the 40 pounds gone!!!! Woo hoo!!! Happy dance for you!

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! Glad you popped in, continue to come in and chat with us!

I had a wonderful day yesterday bossing the boys:happy: , it was just what I needed to get me out of the "blahs" . That plus the sun was shining and it was a gorgeous day, we did have a little rain shower around 2pm, by 2:30 it was gone and the sun was back out!

Have a marvelous day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in much drier NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning all !

Did not sleep at all well last night. FAR too hot. I was reading for about two and a half hours. Finally got to sleep around 4 am with the help of codeine and paracetemol for my aching legs. :grumble: :sick:

DH had a bad night, thinking about the funeral next Monday. It will bring back all the heartache of losing his beloved partner, aged 47, to breast cancer 13 years ago as the lovely lady who died was her mother and all her family will be there. I told him that it is entirely understandable that he should feel that way and most people at the funeral will be feeling the same thing, especially the son/brother. DH's father died 4 days after his partner so the whole thing was deeply traumatic and he has hardly seen the rest of her family since he met me (not my doing). The DMIL moved in with him for a while after the death of her daughter to look after him and always kept in touch and he visited her a couple of times a year. Last summer she came down for a lovely 3 day visit and I was fond of her. DH's sister will be at the funeral, the one who had the 60th birthday, so it will be nice to see her.

Too hot here for me, too much watering! I have to call in at the local small supermarket today as we've run out of a few things, but I normally hibernate in these temperatures. Dentist tomorrow after yoga. We don't have a lot of AC in this country, apart from some offices and big stores, so I hope they've got a fan or something. We are doing our gymming with the fan blowing on us.

Joyce - a plank is when you put your forearms on the floor, hands touching, and with your toes braced on the floor you raise your body up to make a straight line. You hold that for as long as you can. I'm sure there are pictures if you google it. It is great for core strength. When I first tried I could not raise my body off the floor at all. I was so happy the day I first got up there, I shouted out at yoga!:embarassed: Now I can stay up there for 1minute and 20 seconds. It is hard !:bigsmile:

Tandoori monkfish and king prawns for dinner. Raita and tomato salad with basil. My mouth is watering already and the fish isn't even thawed yet! :laugh:

Hugs to those who have banged heads, squashed fingers, infected tummy buttons, headaches and all else.:sad: :heart: Get better soon.

Granmallie - congrats on the 40 lbs lost.:flowerforyou: Excellent job!

Love to all from HOT Hampshire UK
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Quick check in this morning to mark my place in the thread. Had a great NSV already today: decided to wear the dress I'd gotten for my nephew's wedding to work today. It is a 12 and it loose on me - that's a great way to start the day!

Last night's birthday dinner out for DS = 2# up this morning. Water, water, water today...

Have a good day.

Gail, metro ATL